Oh shit, It's Thanksgiving

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Oh shit, It's Thanksgiving

Post by Shrapnel »

And I am so totally not prepared.

My family (aunts and uncles and their assorted wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends and various spawn) is coming to my house for something called "Dinner". It's apparently a common custom amongst American families to gather round and devour a decapitated, roasted Meleagris gallopavo that has been stuffed with various giblets. Yum.

However, this otherwise happy event is marred by the fact that this means I apparently have to put on pants, which is a process I am against morall and religously; I am not thrilled.

I have been looking for ways to combat this vile necessity, but it seems hopeless.

So, heart heavy in chest, I go now to reluctantly get dressed. Ah well.

To all the unwashed masses of The Gaming Den, have a happy Thanksgiving.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Happy Thanksgiving!

Game On,
fbmf
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

What are you thankful for?

My list is short:

1) Maj.
2) My son.
3) Dungeons of Dredmor.
4) The fact that small children don't burst into flames at the mention of the number four.

Also, pants.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Essence wrote:What are you thankful for?

Also, pants.
Shame, shame!
Half asleep upon my knee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Our Thanksgiving will actually be tomorrow. My brother's girlfriend's mom decided to rent a house so everyone could get together this year. And then my mom called me and told me that since I was the only one who knew how to cook, I was making dinner.

So happy Thanksgiving to the [American] Denners! Let Christmas commence!

:tongue:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I am lucky to be ze German.
No such nonsense as Thanks Giving over here.
No pants for me! Not on my Holidays!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Happy Thanksgiving!
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potato salad, tossed salad, lemon grass carrots & broccoli, ginger & garlic cabbage, cranberry sauce, nachos, pecan pie, rice krispy treats, rootbeer floats, and horchata. My wife made pumpkin pie and peanut butter cups.

We have a lot of leftovers and I don't think I need to cook for a while.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Shrapnel- The way you combat having to wear pants is with a kilt.

I was thwarted in my quest for chinese food for brunch (I got up about 1pm because I have to work at 3am tomorrow morning) by grocery store chinese hot foods department apparently having better things to do than cook me food. And we're allegedly having something approaching a thanksgiving dinner tonight, though I'll believe it when I see it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:Shrapnel- The way you combat having to wear pants is with a kilt.
I'd do that, but kilts don't grow well in the New England clime. They wither and die in the salty cold air, just like cotton and sexy people. Our main crops and exports are 97% of the worlds lobsters, Stephen King, me, left wingers, and misery.

True fact*: The Pilgrims were originally going to serve kilt covered in Injun giblets for the first Thanksgiving, but then they found out how comfortable they were to wear, as opposed to eating them. Thus, they served turkey in Injun giblets and decided to sell the kilts in super-crowded superstores at prices so crazy that they made even me look sane.

*Because this fact is utter, totally real and really happend, it has to be bolded so as to show how true it may or may not be.
Half asleep upon my knee
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

I made next level bacon wrapped bacon stuffed turkey. With candied bacon as an appetiser.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Shrapnel, you are aware that cold, salty air is the natural habitat of kilts, and not just because they nestle next to old man balls, right?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I made next level bacon wrapped bacon stuffed turkey. With candied bacon as an appetiser.
Ramnza (Mrs. Fence Builder) loves bacon. She has invited herself to have Thanksgiving at your place next year.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I want to go eat at Frank's for Thanksgiving... Sounds like he could certainly feed the usual posters here...

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

it depends . . last time i went to have a barbeque i noticed that i have gotten scary good at eating and eating and eating, if i don't try to eat fast but pace myself a bit . . 5 steaks, 10 grilled sausages, 1 entire pita bread, one entire marble cake with chocolate sprinkles and chocolate covering, about half a pound of herb butter, 1.5l coke and fanta each . . and then on the way home i ate doner kebab. and then i made myself a big bowl of corn flakes at home. and then i had ice cream for dessert. and then i went to bed because if i had stayed up for much longer, i'd have eaten a whole lot more i am afraid x.x

and a 50cm diameter pizza is not a big thing for me anymore . . *pats belley* the one part of me that is vigorously trained to do heavy work <.<;,

but i do admit that franks cooking sounds pretty delicious O.o
the whole bacon with bacon wrapped in bacon with some bird in between would be a bit too much bacon for my taste . . i prefer a bit of diversity . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:Shrapnel, you are aware that cold, salty air is the natural habitat of kilts, and not just because they nestle next to old man balls, right?
Yes, but the furies are unbalanced here, and the air is filled with malice and misery, so kilts lose the will to live. In Scotland, the kilts native ancestoral home, joy and happiness and haggis and Scottish people decapitating other Scottish people filled the land, thus allowing the Kiltitis Scotsinia* to thrive.

*Yes, I made that up. Don't get used to me admitting this kind of thing.
fbmf wrote:Ramnza (Mrs. Fence Builder) loves bacon. She has invited herself to have Thanksgiving at your place next year.

Game On,
fbmf
I wish someone would invite themselves to my place for Thanksgiving. My sole compainions are a Galvatron toy and a tiny man living inside my thumb. I'm so damn lonely.

Well, now it's time for me to go back to wallow in my pre-post-holiday bout of depression. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I sure did.
Half asleep upon my knee
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Happy Thanksgiving. 2/3 of the people in the house right now have the flu, but spirits are still pretty high. Concocting an elaborate dessert we've never tried making before. I cannot pronounce the name.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

You cannot pronounce it because it's hard to pronounce, or you cannot pronounce it because to do so would call down it's angry wrath? Either way, sounds tasty.
Half asleep upon my knee
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

fbmf wrote:
Ramnza (Mrs. Fence Builder) loves bacon. She has invited herself to have Thanksgiving at your place next year.

Game On,
fbmf
Eifel tower?
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Taishan
Apprentice

Post by Taishan »

FrankTrollman wrote:I made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potato salad, tossed salad, lemon grass carrots & broccoli, ginger & garlic cabbage, cranberry sauce, nachos, pecan pie, rice krispy treats, rootbeer floats, and horchata. My wife made pumpkin pie and peanut butter cups.

-Username17
any chance of pics for the lemon grass carrots and broc and the ginger and garlic cabbage?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Shrapnel wrote:You cannot pronounce it because it's hard to pronounce, or you cannot pronounce it because to do so would call down it's angry wrath? Either way, sounds tasty.
I really want a dessert that's so delicious that its name is a killing word.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Taishan wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:I made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potato salad, tossed salad, lemon grass carrots & broccoli, ginger & garlic cabbage, cranberry sauce, nachos, pecan pie, rice krispy treats, rootbeer floats, and horchata. My wife made pumpkin pie and peanut butter cups.

-Username17
any chance of pics for the lemon grass carrots and broc and the ginger and garlic cabbage?
I didn't have the presence of mind to photo them. Now they look like a tupperware container and a bowl with plastic wrap over it, respectively.

The Carrots and Broccoli was made by cutting some carrots into short strips and boiling them. When they were becoming soft, I dumped some broccoli tops into the same water for a short period (broc takes much less time to cook). Then I drained the water out and threw a bit of olive oil on them as well as a Vietnamese "lemon grass and hot pepper spices" mixture on it along with some finely diced garlic, some onions, and some orange juice.

For the cabbage, I sauteed some garlic, ginger, and onions in a sauce pan with sunflower oil. Then I diced up some cabbage and threw it in. I followed it up with a couple spoonfuls of black pepper sauce and a few squirts of dark soy sauce and stirred. The cabbage really doesn't need much cooking, you're just trying to get the flavors to soak in.

-Username17
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

My birthday happened to fall on Thanksgiving, so I got to have cake and ice cream in the morning, before the massive feast. It was great.
Essence wrote:What are you thankful for?

My list is short:

Also, pants.
Well, thank you. Oh, wait...
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

I am thankful for kicking ass.

I am thankful that I am a badass.

I am thankful for all the ladies that did the nasty with me this year.

But mostly I am thankful for kicking ass.