[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Taishan wrote:I hear the former heads of Bioware are looking for jobs, O Disney Overlords.
So there IS justice in this world!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

D&D in the service of science: Monsters are people too
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

They should make the Thrawn Books into Star Wars Movies . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

That seems to be like an obvious outgrowth from previous studies:

1) Smarter people are more depressed.

2) Depressed people self medicate with alcohol.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

To be fair, Disney's been on a roll with their acquisitions. People were all thinking that Marvel would start to suck after Disney bought them, but it was Disney that gave us The Avengers.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Possible outcomes of Disney buying Hasbro:
-Magic the Gathering gets more merch, possibly a show or movie
-Dungeons and Dragons cartoon gets aired, either original, or a new one, possibly both
-My Little Pony RPG made.
-Marvel d20 RPG.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Prak_Anima wrote:Possible outcomes of Disney buying Hasbro:
-Magic the Gathering gets more merch, possibly a show or movie
-Dungeons and Dragons cartoon gets aired, either original, or a new one, possibly both
-My Little Pony RPG made.
-Marvel d20 RPG.
you forgot a few...

-D&D gets trapped by yet another owner that doesnt understand it never to be sold to someone who does again
-D&D gets trapped behind an even bigger paywall that is go.disney
-forums are even gotten rid of that quote parts of D&D quicker than Lorraine Williams could make happen
-support for D&D ends in a gaming store level. have you ever seen a disney game or tournament?

what all does Disney already own, and does it really need more?

Disney has their channels, bought ABC/Fox, well one if a another studio, they own ESPN is i remember the channel pricing debates, now they own Star Wars, not sure what all they got with that, jsut the films, or did they get ILM also, to give them even more control over video industry and cause less competition? they keep obfuscating copyright laws to something they should NOT be jsut so nobody else can ever use Mickey Mouse, death + 150 years now i think..

do they really need to monopolize all the biggest companies in entertainment industry?

look what HASBRO has, not just D&D and MtG, but the HUB, which is Gi Joe, Transformer, Legendary Adventures of Hercules (Kevin Sorbo), all the former game companies. WotC got Avalon Hill, but HASBRO also owns the remnants of Parker Brothers, Milton Bradley, and the other one i forget its name right now.

you mention MLP, but you realize that in Disney eyes, 11 and up means toddler compatible right? because they really dont understand "teen" market, though they try. Disney has really 3 categories, Kids, Family, Adults. where Adults wasnt even a place for Naruto Shippuden which they cancelled, and even neglected to release a Studio Ghibli film on the grounds that a girl started menstruating in the film, though it wasnt shown only that she said it, and same anime she was running around like a kid would do in a spa between the different themed baths.

D&D cartoons. you wont want them to get the Disney treatment unless you want Ewoks type of cartoons, and those might come back. Dont expect a decent D&D movie ever to come out, though with its crappy direction and CGI Dragonlance was the closet since it has a decent story unlike Wraths of Dragons and the pitiful "the movie" with that wayans brother in it. Kitiara sleeping aorund and unwed to a knight? forget it, that isnt how knight would act, so no Steele Brightblade. Tanis resolving or ever discussing his heritage again? Disney doesnt deal with rape.

the only thing Disney was ever good for was animated movies, and the quality of those have been going down since the 70s, and the stories are just getting worse. even those movies nothing was really created by Disney, all were license, and some Disney are trying to steal and use Us copyright lobbying to steal from the owners in other countries like Peter Pan.

Disney also thinks it owns other public domain works besides Peter Pan like: Snow White and Alice in Wonderland to name a few.

Disney is a Gelatinous Cube, it just waddles over and takes what it wants and there is little you can damn do about it, and once absorbed you might as well forget it ever existed, because it would take a Wish and a God to bring it back.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Honestly, I don't care what happens to D&D, as far as I'm concerned D&D is dead and buried. I have my 1e, 2e, and 3e books, if I want to play I am able to.

I'm more worried about what will happen to MLP. I don't think Disney will be as permissive as Hasbro is with the fandom. I am pretty sure Disney would take great pleasure in shutting down all the fanart and the people making MLP plushes and such. And be baffled as to why the fandom disappeared afterwards.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Microsoft is trying to patent a straight-up 1984 kind of device. Looks...fun.

Best quote from the article: "It’s refreshing to see Microsoft eschewing its play-nice-with-everyone approach to business for some old-fashioned, straight-up evil."

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13970 ... r-the-mpaa
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Ted the Flayer wrote:I don't think Disney will be as permissive as Hasbro is with the fandom. I am pretty sure Disney would take great pleasure in shutting down all the fanart and the people making MLP plushes and such. And be baffled as to why the fandom disappeared afterwards.
Why? Disney doesn't even bother commercial princesses as long as they aren't messing with the trademarks.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Starmaker wrote:
Ted the Flayer wrote:I don't think Disney will be as permissive as Hasbro is with the fandom. I am pretty sure Disney would take great pleasure in shutting down all the fanart and the people making MLP plushes and such. And be baffled as to why the fandom disappeared afterwards.
Why? Disney doesn't even bother commercial princesses as long as they aren't messing with the trademarks.
Because Disney has a history of suing the makers of fan parodies.

So people are legitimately concerned that Disney might step on Star Wars fan content now that they own LucasArts. And if they bought Hasbro, it would be even more worrisome for the people who make fuckable MLP plushies.

-Username17
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

FrankTrollman wrote:Because Disney has a history of suing the makers of fan parodies.

So people are legitimately concerned that Disney might step on Star Wars fan content now that they own LucasArts. And if they bought Hasbro, it would be even more worrisome for the people who make fuckable MLP plushies.
Hasbro is already suing bloggers and making trouble for MLP fans: 1 2 3
Disney is more powerful and more evil (and IP consolidation is generally not good), however, they don't hurt party princesses. Party princesses don't undercut Disney, neither do people who make MLP fan art undercut Hasbro. There's the whole trademark dilution issue, but there's no reason why Disney should be worried about it more than Hasbro. (After all, Disney writes the law.)

Now, people who make specifically fuckable MLP plushies should be concerned because Disney may wish to maintain a family-friendly image, but I think the percentage of plushie fuckers in MLP fandom is grossly overestimated by people for whom one plushie fucker is one plushie fucker too many.

That being said, if Disney buys Hasbro and does go after the fan artists in general, I'm not going to shave my head in shame. Going after fans is something that just happens with IP holders from time to time, like a natural disaster.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I really doubt that Disney will buy Hasbro, as they're not a toy company. Disney outsources all of its toys through other companies, even the Mickey stuff. They're more likely to buy Mattel, who makes the iconic Disney characters, before Hasbro if they wanted to start getting into the toy market.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hasbro owns a lot of licenses that Disney is probably very interested in. D&D may have been practically ruined, but it's still the mainstream iconic RPG. MtG makes money hand over fist. MLP too. Disney has the money to buy pretty much anything they want, especially now that they own LucasFilms, I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking to be able to produce toys and not lose any money to the producer's cut.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Prak_Anima wrote:Hasbro owns a lot of licenses that Disney is probably very interested in. D&D may have been practically ruined, but it's still the mainstream iconic RPG. MtG makes money hand over fist. MLP too. Disney has the money to buy pretty much anything they want, especially now that they own LucasFilms, I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking to be able to produce toys and not lose any money to the producer's cut.
Then they would likely try to buy Mattel first, because they have the toy rights to their more recognizable Disney characters (the princesses, Mickey and company, etc).

Also, I highly doubt they're going to do any huge purchases like that right now, as they just now invested in Star Wars and need to make sure it's an actual money-maker on its own rather than going double-down on the risk.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Starmaker wrote:
Anyone remember when they sued the crap out that that daycare center that had pictures of disney characters on the walls?
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Doesn't hasbro make the Transformers Toys?
Aren't the Transformers Characters part of Marvel?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Stahlseele wrote:Doesn't hasbro make the Transformers Toys?
Aren't the Transformers Characters part of Marvel?
Marvel had the license in the 80s and early 90s to use the property in comics. It has since passed to Dreamwave then IDW. For the most part Marvel kept Transformers out of their continuity and vice versa.

One thing about Disney buying Hasbro/WotC, they may want to downplay the D&D propery because of the hysteria of 1980s. Some people probably still associate D&D with satanism and cults.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Juton wrote:One thing about Disney buying Hasbro/WotC, they may want to downplay the D&D propery because of the hysteria of 1980s. Some people probably still associate D&D with satanism and cults.
I can see that.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Who knows how it will play out. Years ago, there was a movement where people wanted to boycott Disney because of ABC, which had Ellen on the air.

"Disney is two steps removed from a gay person! We can't go there!"

hatersgonnahate.gif
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Meth fights the flu, this was found in a study that aimed to determine whether meth use increased one's likelihood of getting the flu.

In other news, Science quits.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

RobbyPants wrote:Who knows how it will play out. Years ago, there was a movement where people wanted to boycott Disney because of ABC, which had Ellen on the air.

"Disney is two steps removed from a gay person! We can't go there!"

hatersgonnahate.gif
Actually, Disney has consistently been on the forefront of gay rights. It isn't just Ellen. They were providing partner benefits to same-sex couples before legally recognized Civil Unions were an actual thing and are generally very gay-friendly.

They don't flaunt it, but Disney is one of the best giant evil multinational megacorps to be employed by if you're gay. And that's why some people hate it, not just because of Ellen. Ellen was merely the point when Disney was willing to fucking stand by their convictions publicly and openly.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

That's good to hear.