Hurricane Sandy

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, the storm's over, and Massachusetts got spared (for the most part), but New York got smashed, as far as I can tell in the news.

Also, anyone else read about the HMS Bounty? I thought it was pretty awesome.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

And congrats to proud papa Cynic!
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
OmniNegro

Post by OmniNegro »

Is this mess going to fuck up the prices of hard drives made all over the world like that mockery that the entire industry exploited due to part of Thailand getting bad weather?

Please. Do not tell me I am being a dick. I know it. I am still royally pissed that the 1TB drive I bought years ago is still more expensive now than it was then.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Seeing how the HDD's are NOT made in the US of A . . no, no it's not . .
And HDD-Prices are close to recovering to the Levels of before that flood.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OmniNegro

Post by OmniNegro »

Yeah, but the prices are not there yet. And the real irony of the BS excuse of hard drive prices is that they are made all over the world! Not just that one little factory. According to Wikipedia, 40-60% of the hard drives made by Western Digital came from there. So I can see it effecting the price.

But that was when? And how long does it take to build a factory? (Note that the factory in question is singular. And it is still in business. They claim equipment was damaged, but there were living Humans in the building during the storm, so it was clearly not a vortex of doom that destroyed everything save the building itself.

And I think you are only saying that in a technical sense. Some hard drives *ARE* made in the USA. Just not most. Usually they require neodymium from other nations. But I can assure you that no storm will shut down a mine. :)
Last edited by OmniNegro on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Uh, mines flood. They do that a lot.

Also, most computer components are imported. A majority of processor chips are made in China by Taiwanese companies, for instance. Why yes, that could potentially result in politically induced disaster.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

OmniNegro wrote:But I can assure you that no storm will shut down a mine. :)
... what ? Do you not expect to be called out when you spout random nonsense ?
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
OmniNegro

Post by OmniNegro »

Yeah. The miners called and said that they refuse to dig any deeper until the storms INSIDE THE MINES cease to exist. :)

The use pumps to push the water out. And they use oxygen tanks too. In short, no mine is going to close due to a storm outside the mine.

And from you Vigilant, I expect to be called out even when there is nothing whatsoever wrong with my post. Good day to each and all.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

At this point, I think it's clear he's either a troll or completely ignorant of damn near everything. Best practice would probably be to ignore him, as he already proudly admitted that facts don't matter to him.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
OmniNegro

Post by OmniNegro »

The Vigilante wrote:At this point, I think it's clear he's either a troll or completely ignorant of damn near everything. Best practice would probably be to ignore him, as he already proudly admitted that facts don't matter to him.
I bolded the most likely correct answer for you. :mrgreen:
erik
King

Post by erik »

Omni, it isn't a crime to be completely ignorant of damn near everything. But it really should be a crime to not care that you are ignorant and be so confident of both your ignorance and your belief that you are correct in spite all evidence to the contrary. Mines flood. Pumps are not magical devices that can pump infinite amounts of water at infinite speeds, and we can reasonably assume that their capacity to remove water can be exceeded my nature's ability to dump water.

And mining can be very dangerous under normal conditions, let alone when there is flooding. You're crazy if you think that you just slap oxygen tanks on miners and send them back in with alternate water proofed equipment and continue business as usual by sending them down alternate water-proofed elevators.

[edit:] I feel compelled to add, I am wrong all the time. I try to remain cognizant of this and try to keep appraised of factual sources and when one is found that refutes my point, I will give it all due credence. I will check their sources and check my sources, and go with which sources seem most credible as I would rather the wrong now and right in the future.

Obviously we don't have time as living beings to fact check everything, but we owe ourselves to at least surrender to humility in accepting that if someone takes the effort to find and present factual evidence with citations, they have a better claim to the facts until that evidence is refuted by superior research.
Last edited by erik on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmniNegro

Post by OmniNegro »

Fair enough erik. I will try to pull my head from my ass every once in a while and see what I just spewed out for all to see.

Truth be told, I know squat about mines. But it seems beyond stupid to drill down without occasionally drilling upwards to a side to allow a barrier for water to not easily pass. There may be other factors I am ignorant of. In fact, it is likely.

But the only thing mines have to do with hard drives is that neodymium is needed to pull the read/write heads back to the resting position.
(I think there may be a connection between neodymium and the metallic alloy used to coat the glass platters in the hard drives too, but I am not sure about that part.)
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

The last time I checked, hard drives had cases that were made of metal. Which must be mined. I know from a casual glance that - at the minimum - aluminum, iron, and copper (as well as the precious neodymium) all go into a hard drive. There may be others that go in solder and so forth that I'm not entirely in the know about (my solder is made from silver and lead, but is the stuff they use on a circuit board the same?). So mining happens on lots of levels.

Should one section of the industry have difficulties because of inclement conditions, there will be transportation time and costs that affect production.

I also know that hard drives are extremely delicate and must be assembled in clean rooms to minimize contamination which could lead to product malfunction and data loss. Building a clean room with proper ventilation and air filtering is a very precise operation, and once breached, the whole thing would need to be decontaminated (which could take a while depending on the breach).
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

OmniNegro wrote:Truth be told, I know squat about mines. But it seems beyond stupid to drill down without occasionally drilling upwards to a side to allow a barrier for water to not easily pass. There may be other factors I am ignorant of. In fact, it is likely.
Modern mining looks a lot more like a kid knocking over a sand castle than it does the classic picture of tunnels & beams.
OmniNegro

Post by OmniNegro »

Well Maj, the words you say are very true. But most of those materials are available all over the world from dozens of locations. Neodymium is unique in that only a few places output much of it.

In fact scrap materials could be used for each of those including the neodymium. (After processing to clean it up and form it in whatever shape is needed.)
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'm not sure that scrap can be used for all of that. We're talking precision instruments, not any random thing made of metal.

But my point was that should the mines supplying product somehow have its operations interrupted, it will take time and money to replace the supply - even if you can get it from somewhere else in the world.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.