White Plume Mountain is about creativity.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Mr. GC wrote: Also, fuck you and suck a barrel of cocks. I am now envisioning a mind flayer with boobs. CANNOT UNSEE!
The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure mind flayers with boobs were canon back when Flayers were still created by decapitating a humanoid body and grafting a Mind Flayer squid baby onto the neck, which would *slowly* mutate the body into an adult mind flayer.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Mr. GC wrote:
Red_Rob wrote: The 2nd edition book has a half naked woman on the cover. As in literally standing there with their tits out. Obvious neckbeard fanservice is obvious.
Uh...WHAT 2nd edition book? None of the ones I own.

[MOD EDIT]fixed tags[/MOD]
Last edited by PoliteNewb on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

PoliteNewb, I think you broke the universe. Could you fix that?
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

There's a big one that contains about every 2nd edition book out there. And the cover is this topless warrior chick standing beside a greatsword. I'm guessing some sort of Barbarian.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Kaelik wrote:...the party having even a chance of dying is bad, not good.
:rofl:
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

There's a book that has every book and it has a topless chick on the cover?

Are you sure this wasn't a dream you had once?
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

hogarth wrote:There's a book that has every book and it has a topless chick on the cover?

I am quite certain. I'd screenshot it to show you, but I don't know how this board is about nudity.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Mr. GC wrote:There's a big one that contains about every 2nd edition book out there. And the cover is this topless warrior chick standing beside a greatsword. I'm guessing some sort of Barbarian.
(first, apologies about tags; thanks for the fix, I was at work and couldn't get back to it.)

I think I know what GC is babbling about, after a bit of poking around online. He is referring to some sort of fan-created PDF that you can download, if you know where. It was never a published book of any sort (and is probably illegal).

Wow, fanboys putting naked chicks on things? I, for one, am astonished.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Mr. GC wrote: but I don't know how this board is about nudity.
Short of editing all of your posts to include dismemberment p0rn, we're for it.

But just to be safe, it's a good idea to label stuff that might be NSFW as such and put it inside spoiler tags.

And as to the issue in question, until shown in incontrovertible evidence on a reviewable call, I refuse to believe that there was any nudity whatsoever in any official TSR 2e product. After all 2e was the sanitized edition where they censored things things so far that that couldn't use the word "demon" for the bad guys (apparently words found in Matthew 8 are offensive to christians) and the 2e poster-girl succubus looked like this, dressed for a snowstorm

Now 1e totally had nudity. Here's the 1e AD&D M&M succubus illustration and here's another topless illustration from the 1e M&M index.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Mr. GC wrote: but I don't know how this board is about nudity.
Short of editing all of your posts to include dismemberment p0rn, we're for it.

But just to be safe, it's a good idea to label stuff that might be NSFW as such and put it inside spoiler tags.
Uncertain territory... boobs removed, just in case.
Last edited by Mr. GC on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Mr. GC wrote:I think they were projecting something...

Also, fuck you and suck a barrel of cocks. I am now envisioning a mind flayer with boobs. CANNOT UNSEE!
Mod Edit

You're welcome. :cool:
Last edited by Endovior on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

PoliteNewb wrote: I think I know what GC is babbling about, after a bit of poking around online. He is referring to some sort of fan-created PDF that you can download, if you know where. It was never a published book of any sort (and is probably illegal).

Wow, fanboys putting naked chicks on things? I, for one, am astonished.
Yes, the additional words "some random dude on the internet did this" would have cleared that right up.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Mod Edit
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I like Luis Royo as much as the next guy, but you could at least post Mod Edit.

I'm having trouble tracking down the exact date of that work, but from the wikipedia bios of both the The Artist and The Model don't mention any assoication with the D&D brand at all, let alone between the 1989 and 1997 dates when 2e was being produced by TSR.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:You both might want to check this rules thread out.
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=401
Right. Well I had it linked and spoiler tagged. He just fucking hot linked it without warning. Removed anyways just to be certain we're good.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Evidently, mind flayers also have spines made out of rubber.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Korgan0 wrote:Evidently, mind flayers also have spines made out of rubber.
Even rubber doesn't twist like that. Only pure LIEFELDIUM!! does that.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

That thing is so out of place, I can't even tell if it's an ass or a front butt.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

rasmuswagner wrote:
Korgan0 wrote:Evidently, mind flayers also have spines made out of rubber.
Even rubber doesn't twist like that. Only pure LIEFELDIUM!! does that.
This. But then again, mind flayers are supposedly to look slithery and disgusting (no offense, Ted). The nasty part is when someone draws a human woman like that.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

First: An important note.
I am not defending White Plume Mountain. I am ridiculing Mr. GC, because he claims to be some kind of D&D guru who plays on "hard mode"...yet seems to find WPM to be unfair, so he has to whine like a whiny little fuck about it.

So I am merely pointing out that some of the stuff he has said is wrong or idiotic. Make of that what you will.

Random:

1: nonintelligent (i.e. easily tricked or distracted with food), can be killed by fire, and most importantly, have a move of fucking 6"...so you can probably just play "keep away" and burn it to death. If your 5th-10th party can't handle this (or at least get away from it before it kills you), you should hang up your jock.

2: already done in other thread.

3: WTF are you talking about, high damage? They do 1d3/1d3/1d6/1d4. That's a MAX of 16, not enough to 1 or 2 round a fighter even with all hits striking for maximum. Let's go back to our hypothetical plate & shield fighter/cleric. Gargoyles have a 40% chance of hitting, avg. damage of 9 for all 4, so average DPR of what, 4-5? Give me a break.
Also, 5th or higher PCs usually have magic weapons, and certainly have spells.

4: So fucking what? "Being attacked by an invisible monster" is super-unfair, now? Don't you like hard mode?

5: ogres are even worse than bugbears.

6: already done in other thread.

Dungeon Proper:
(I'm skipping rooms I have no comment/disagreement on, or that you had no comment on)

2: So casting Dispel Magic (which 100% works) is metagaming? WTF?

4: Shadows don't permanently drain your stats, try reading a book.

6: It's a metal fucking gate. Nothing says it's invulnerable to anything that can normally get you through metal. Metal gates and doors are unfair somehow?

7: So you're just ignoring the fact that there are numerous ways to cross the room without much danger? That you can, if you're careful, cross without ever being in any real danger?
Hell, even if you use the method described in the module, how does it differ from a 3E Str check with a DC in the 10-20 range?

9: What are you talking about, 'get nowhere'? This is something you don't even need to do to finish the adventure! All it does is drain the water out of the dungeon.

10: Yeah, charm monsters are such bullshit. That's why nobody ever uses them in other editions of D&D. And people who play on 'hard mode' cry about it if they do.

19: If you can't find a way to get your equipment past this, you are a retard.

22: So you didn't read the part that says "save vs. poison", so you don't die? Or that Cure Disease will also save your ass?
That said, I agree the frictionless surface trick is bullshit.

24: What are you talking about, 8 levels higher? It's a bunch of 4th level fighters and one higher-level fighter. Having to fight guys is "fuck you" now?

26: Why not calculate the ways you can get past this without having to fight more than the manticores?
Oh, and try firing a couple of lightning bolts into the water for a pretty goddamn easy win.

27: I have never heard anyone whine that their artifact sword (that they don't even have to wield) has possible drawbacks. You win a prize, sir.

And then at the end, an ambush that the DM is told to completely skip if it would just massacre the party. Wow, those mean ol' 1E modules.

Your summary is complete bullshit. I have a better one: Mr. GC is a whiny douche who likes D&D on easy mode.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

--Shadzar
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Mr. GC wrote:
hogarth wrote:There's a book that has every book and it has a topless chick on the cover?

I am quite certain. I'd screenshot it to show you, but I don't know how this board is about nudity.
GC is sort of correct. There is a illegal downloadable that contained all things 2e compiled into a single file that did have a topless chick as its cover art. But it was not in any way an official product as far as I am aware
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

:yawn: OMG people from a different era played the game a different way.. le gasp!
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)