The End of the Matrix

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Catharz
Knight-Baron

Re: The End of the Matrix

Post by Catharz »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1194671380[/unixtime]]
Makes for a differet game dynamic; very low-tech solutions to deal with a very high-tech situation.

These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can even aspire to crudeness.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Actually even lead is pretty sketchy. While acting as a decent shielding agent, that just counts as extra distance - a high signal will go right through.

What you really want is a highly conductive set of wiring around your body. Which of course plugs right into the high tech methods to find a low tech solution to problems.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, I might not be on the right set of railroad tracks, but at least I'm headed into crazytown, one way or an other.

Why the highly conductive set of wiring though? To set up a 'cage' of some kind that diffuses a signal such that it's not easily seen, sort of like a Davy Lamp?

Could you combine lead sheilding with the conductive wires to have a more effective whole?

I'm guessing if I know how the wiring does its job would answer the second quesiton though.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

What's Faraday cages, precious?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

You know... I was looking a Micheal Faraday's entry while looking at Humphrey Davies entry, yet didn't look at what a Faraday Cage is or does.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

With nano tech(I'm assuming shadowrun has at least some nanotech) it doesn't seem like it would be hard or even all that expensive to get an effective Faraday Cage built into your clothes. In fact it looks like it would be a rather common defense for someone who wasn't going to be doing any hacking or other Faraday Cage incompatible activities.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Nanotechnology doesn't really help with the construction of a Faraday Cage. The only things which asist a Faraday Cage are:
  • Completeness.
  • Thickness.
  • Conductivity.

Making a more conductive suit would make it a better Faraday Cage at the same thickness. But making it smaller doesn't do a god damned thing.

Still interesting to see the discussion generated over here. On Dumpshock I seriously am now into over 300 posts arguing about whether positing that you can influence a single neuron with quantum entanglement implies that you can send out a signal which influences all neurons in the world simultaneously (some people say yes, I say what the fuck are you talking about?!).

-Username17
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

From my limited understanding, isn't the ability to do anything with quantum entanglement except talk about it still entirely in the theory stage? Wouldn't that be like one of those discussion wherein someone goes, "Well, if we could go faster-than-light, then...," and nobody says, "We dunno what would happen, so STFU"?
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I simply meant it would be much easier and cheaper to make a suit of functional clothing with an effective Faraday Cage inside it using nano tech than without.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

This is starting to remind me of [counturl=116]Postsingular[/counturl].
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Wow, that thread is still going? Last time I was on that thread, I was trying to help you understand that you can't actually send information through quantum entanglement (though it could be used for encryption keys that can't be hacked).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Nanotechnology allows you to build superconductors at incredibly small scales. You could add a chain of superconductors to a fabric fiber - so you could have superconductive wool or silk or somesuch, and it wouldn't change the underlying properties of the fabric. At least, ones you could feel.

Stamp a couple of chips on it to detect charge levels, and you have a fabric that might need nanobots to repair it once in awhile - like if you get a hole in it, or the conductors burn out somewhere - and you'd even know if it was broken ^-^

-Crissa
Joy_Division
Apprentice

Post by Joy_Division »

virgileso at [unixtime wrote:1194827494[/unixtime]]Wow, that thread is still going? Last time I was on that thread, I was trying to help you understand that you can't actually send information through quantum entanglement (though it could be used for encryption keys that can't be hacked).

You mean you can't send information faster than the speed of light through quantum entanglement
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Which is debatable anyway because noone really knows.

There are lots of things which we frankly have a poor understanding of. I really don't want people kvetching at me about how a signal "has to" propagate.

Seriously, we have got someone loudly and repeatedly insisting that doing something unspecified which causes a specific neuron to fire (or not) at some nonzero range "only makes sense" if it is propagated as a non-directional signal that affects all humans the same way. I am literally at a loss and have run out of civil things to say.

It uses future physics that may or may not include quantm entanglement, waveform collapsing, electromagnetic resonance, big words, electron tunneling, or whatever else we happen to be using over two decades from now.

The laws of Thermodynamics are essentially inviolate, but as long as super tech doesn't break those I really don't care. Why people are willing to flame other people over the fact that they cannot suspend disbelief over a technology which creates a small electric charge at a specific point in space which takes merely tremendous amounts of computing power to function is beyond me.

-Username17
Joy_Division
Apprentice

Post by Joy_Division »

I say "speed of light" because to me causality goes along with thermodynamics as one of those things that should really just be obeyed in the game world. I'm cool with breaking just about anything else.

I really like the matrix rules btw, I'll be using them if I have a chance to play SR ever.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Joy_Division at [unixtime wrote:1194890742[/unixtime]]I say "speed of light" because to me causality goes along with thermodynamics as one of those things that should really just be obeyed in the game world. I'm cool with breaking just about anything else.

I don't really like obeying thermodynamics too closely. Otherwise you cannot have people who shapeshift in ways that defy physics, unless you contrive an excuse, in which case you're handwaving the laws of physics anyways.

On the subject of cyberbrains that Crissa mentioned, I think everyone having cyberbrains becomes quite plausible if you assume that not only do you have to get them before you can become a cyborg of much greater significance, but if they themselves are some kind of life support system for the brain. In other words, the miraculous recovery of returning you in your new cyborg body is only really possible if you have a cyberbrain, which attempts to save you from brain death until such time as you are restored. Everyone has them (except homeless men and the Amish) because people like life insurance of the sort that actually can prevent their death.

Of course, the way Essence works in Shadowrun, you can't really have Motoko Kusanagi running around, but eh, the idea still works for the most part.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I added an equipment section.

Also there will be some examples, what are people looking for?

-Username17
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Nice job on the flavor for different OSs' AR setups. That's something I didn't even realize was missing from the core book until you wrote it up.

So now I can have my half-orc Georgian hacker Ilya Zelezny running Navi on his !. Thankfully I don't have to know what the ! looks like, as it's in his skull.

One thing I'd still like to see explicity in the rules is how brain interfaces with greater signal ranges work, and the differences between types of DNIs (senselinks, simlinks, skillwires, wired reflexes, etc).
I'm interested as to whether you want to explicitly allow for fine-grained brainfucking (i.e. coherent information) of non-wired individuals, or whether that should be left to the specific game. And how much does it cost to have my comlink shoot tight beam ultrasound into my head rather than use trodes?

Also, is Xim OS pronounced 'hsin' (like 新 ) or 'zim' (as in Xim the Despot/Invader Zim)?

P.S.
In my experience "!" is usually pronounced 'bang!'.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I assume that Xim is pronounced "Zim" - but I didn't write the original and don't really know. I see in my eye the Erika commercials.

A French woman wearing almost nothing whispers urgently to the camera: "It's pure excitement..." Then she vanishes and you see a black field and an exclamation point flashes on and off. Then the commercial ends.

The camera flashes between a bunch of people who say essentialy "This!" in a bunch of languages. Then the commercial ends.

--

Oh, and orks are a subspecies of humanity. That means that they have no difficulty breeding with humans or dwarves. But the goblinization is all or nothing - there aren't really any "half-orks" because the child of a human and an ork will develope as a human or an ork (or much more rarely a dwarf or elf or troll or something really weird like a ghoul).

-Username17
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Who even gives a shit whether you're a 'half'-orc?

If you don't like how you look then get some plastic surgery. It's cheap as free.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Thanks. I was basically just wondering if the company was Chinese or not, but I guess with extraterratoriality it almost doesn't matter.

The character in question is probably implemented as an ork with the "human-looking" perk. He happened to have a human father, ork mother. The exact biological workings of goblinization aren't usually of interest to to most people.

Most Americans view 'half black' individuals as 'black', while most Egyptians view a 'half black' person differently than either a 'white' or 'black' person. Both cultures are racist, but they view race in different ways. Metatype isn't the same thing, but I imagine that the schema is similar.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Update: changed Hacking on the Fly. Hacking on the Fly is no longer binary or automatic. Expect to see a lot more programs in the 1-3 range.

-Username17
Interested2
NPC

Post by Interested2 »

I've never played or read Shadowrun, but this thread is nifty enough it makes me wonder if I'm missing out.

Is it worth picking up?
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Shadowrun, like many game systems, can either be fan-freaking-tastic, or totally suck. It's major points are that guns kill. Street trash with a crappy guns can kill your players, if they surprise them. Runners, however, usually have enough badassery that they can pretty easily take out hordes of mooks without drawing any counter-fire. This can be accomplished through both ambushes, long range fire, or good, old fashioned going 4 times before your foe can, and being able to completely empty, reload, and empty your gun again inside of 3 seconds.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

So does a character with stability never glitch? 'Cause that would be pretty amazing.

Also, what are the specializations for resonance skills?