[3.5ish] Gestalt Characters game - anyone interested?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

K'th'on
Veteren of the War Lolth Touched Thri Kreen Sword Wraith Warlock//Soulknife 3
Sellsword and Hired Killer
K'tho'n is a hired killer. His rates are cheap, because he likes the work and is fond of the meat it yields. He prides himself on his ability to slip weapons into secured areas and leave no evidence.

When he turned 6, and became an adult in his clutch, he simply left. It wasn't entirely unusual for thri kreen to leave the clutch, but it wasn't by any means common for them to do so alone. K'tho'n headed for the nearest settlement, and began hiring out his abilities. When a party of male drow found him in the aftermath of their attack on a caravan he'd been hired to work, sitting a ways off, gnawing the lead merchant's head and counting drow marked gold, they welcomed him in to their group. Eventually they returned to the underdark, where he caught the eye of a priestess, and found himself blessed by the power of Lolth as the priestess began to employ him as her own hired blade, taking many contracts, and fighting in a handful of wars, including a couple involving other thri kreen on one side or the other. When she inevitably was killed by another priestess, K'tho'n slipped out, heading back to the surface to return to his old life as a killer for the higest bid.
He was slain by drow sent out by the one who slew his previous employer, but none-the-less found himself alive the next night, sustained by his taste for murder.
Character Sheet
So, K'th'on basically eats those that he kills, and has Craft (cooking) specifically so he can preserve them. Can he just have a sack full of, like, 90# of Elf jerky, the flesh and organs of a recently killed elf after he took the bones out?

edit: oh, and the Craft (Alchemy) is so he can preserve people's faces and hands if he really needs a human mask and gloves for a disguise.

edit the second: Jee-tche, K'th'on's Ghoul Manservant
(yes, he's seriously sixth level because of npc levels).

So all I need is HP, and I'm not sure how we're doing that.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I just straight up rolled mine, but that wasn't on any specific dictate of DrPraetor's.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

DrPraetor wrote:@Endovior - I did say you could have the Moil Wrought background, right? I said something as a joke which Kaelik took seriously and I'm not sure if I ever gave you an actual okay on being a Moil Wrought aspiring vampire/lich/whatever. b/c it appears I forgot to say it - other backgrounds may be okay but require specific approval.
So put "Moil Wrought Illumian" in your character by line so I remember you have it. Assuming you still want it.
Other than that - so your domains are Planning/Spell, correct? By fiat, those are perfectly acceptable domains for a straight-up vanilla priest of Vecna
Yes, you did say I could have Moil Wrought; if you'd like it listed in the character line, that's not a problem; post has been edited. The whole point of backgrounds is that they're supposed to be a reward for actually sitting down and writing a background, so I understand if you didn't want to give that away for nothing. That said, I hope my writing meets your standard of approval.

Yes, I'm running Planning/Spell; and my whole character sheet is now posted; peruse at leisure, and point out anything you mislike.

As an aside... I've been trying to avoid any complaints about what the other PC's are doing in general, partly because I really don't want to cause meta party strife by causing allies to be debuffed for whatever reasons, and partly because the things they are doing are fairly suboptimal in general. That said, if Prak's cohort randomly gets to be three HD above us, with the skillpoints to outcompete us in all the non-combat skills, I am going to be seriously irked.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hey, Praetor said NPC class, so it's level 6 because NPC class levels are CR 1/2 each. If he says PC class, I'll gladly change it to level 3. It's not like a non-gestalt PC classed character is going to show up gestalt characters.

Also, it's skills are basically:
"Make Dinner"
"Make people masks for K'th'on"
"Know what's valuable"
"Read Shit"
"Take Shit Apart if Necessary"
"Help His Dumbass Bug Man Master Look Like A Human"
"Know Shit About Magic"
"Know Shit About Psionics"
"Look For Traps"
"Steal Shit"
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

I see where you're coming from, and I don't like it. When your feat is better at all the noncombat skills then my character is, I feel like my toes have been stepped on, and rather hard. It was my overall impression that DrPraetor is playing the stealth-leadership-nerf of NPC classes only on minions. It was my reading of that that he meant 'normal HD, but NPC class'. You could argue that you should get extra NPC levels to compensate for not having a PC class, but since the fact that you're taking NPC levels at all is explicitly a nerf, you shouldn't be able to randomly appropriate all kinds of non-combat skills at a higher level then the PCs as a side-effect from it.

In all honesty, I'm mostly just offended that a random ghoul can walk in and be more knowledgeable about magic then I am, simply by virtue of having a huge pile of HD to pull skill points from.

EDIT: Accordingly, I shall post this and ruin your day.
Tome of Necromancy wrote:Necromantic Creation Feats:
Any feat with the [Necromatic] tag is a necromantic creation feat. This means that it is merely one part of the dark tradition of necromancy; other means such as necromancy spells or other effects can create these undead, but this an easy path for the serious Necromancer. One trait shared by these feats is that each feat has a separate control pool for the undead it creates. For example, if a necromancer has the Path of Blood feat and the A Feast Unknown feat, he may control up to his unmodified charisma modifier in vampires or vampire spawn in addition to controlling up to his unmodified charisma modifier in ghouls. It is a move action to give commands any one undead creature. Any undead controlled by this feat cannot create undead or use the Spawn Undead ability.
The rituals are inexpensive, but require the flesh and blood of intelligent creatures as well as living creatures or fresh corpses as subjects. Any additional costs or conditions are listed in the individual feat. These rites take 1 hour per CR of the creature created, and can only be performed at night or in a location that has never been touched by the sun (such as a deep cave). The maximum CR of an undead creature created with these rites is two less than the creator’s character level.
Materials to create any undead always cost at least 25 gp per hit die. Creating undead by these method generally requires at least an hour.
So yeah, A Feast Unknown does not get to be randomly way more awesome then all the other Necromantic Creation feats; the fact that it's text says otherwise is probably a typo, and is superseded by the general rule on Necromantic Creation feats.
Last edited by Endovior on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, right, forgot that there was a general rule for necromancy feats. Fixed, Jeeves is now a level 2 expert. Still totally fine if Praetor wants to tell me to use PC classes and make him level one.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

And that neatly solves my problem with the whole situation, too.

For now, at least; since next level you'll have an expert of equal level, and at all future levels he'll be above us. Which can very quickly get stupid, since your cohort goes epic at level 13. For reference, I don't actually agree with the theory that minions should be nerfed by forcing them to take NPC classes, but I agree less with silly workarounds that let you break the skillcap.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hey, you're at the point where you need to take it up with Praetor. It's a ghoul expert, so I really don't think it having super amazing out of combat skills is a big deal, but I really don't care one way or the other as long as I get a ghoul butler to play off of. If I can make him an actual rogue, awesome. If he stays an expert and can stupidly take advantage of Class Level CR discrepancies, that's fine. If I wind up not being able to have the ghoul at all, that's when I get disappointed.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

For reference, I totally agree; I've got no problem with you having a ghoul butler, and think it's a cool idea. I just kind of object to your butler knowing more about magic then I do; that kind of thing makes me feel like I may as well just not have skill points, since you can just spend a feat on 'knows a guy who knows things'.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Your changes make no sense. You obviously have no experience with the classes or the system so you are just aknowladging the problem by throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. So how about this, I've actually tested this stuff in my game, having had a player play around with both the wilder and the powers. So I know what I'm talking about.

Stunning Smite - as long as it also retains the AB and Dmg boost, this is good change. Far better than the per target stuff mentioned earlier.
Psion is Wilder - terrible idea since this just completely invalidates the existance of the wilder and is a straight up buff to the already powerful psion. Besides, if I am allowed to use those power I linked I will be at about wizard level anyway.
Surging Euphoria - Currently worse than a bard song in every way with an utterly horrible progression. The change makes it into something that makes sense.
Wilder Disciplines - here is the solution I use in my game: The Wilder may select a discipline but in return each time he gets Expanded Knowledge feats he can only get powers from his chosen psionic discipline.
Psychic Enervation - the enervation effect needs to either become less severe or be capped to a max of 15% chance. Otherwise the character is unplayable passed level 11. And if you lessen the enervation effect instead of capping the % then you also need Painful Euphoria.
Last edited by Dominicius on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

@Prak_Anima - You can control ghouls who are one level below your character level, including whatever ECL modifiers may apply aside from being a Ghoul. Frank likes to use CR to handle these mechanics I do not.
You can keep up to your Cha modifier in controlled ghouls from whatever dying enemies you can salvage. I suppose that you don't want to be put in a position where, game mechanically, you want to "fire" your starting valet so that you can animate something better in his stead. Sigh, okay, fine - your starting Valet can be a 2nd level Rogue.

@Dominicius - First, fine: don't play, but please leave so as not to crowd out actual discussion in the thread.

All the explanation you will get:
The Wilder is not valid to begin with, it's completely awful. Making the Psion better does not "invalidate" the Wilder; but I'm not going to jump through hoops to rescue the class, especially if you are going to argue with me. Yes, my decisions are pretty arbitrary, but they're not negotiable (and I may arbitrarily reverse them for my own reasons, see above).

And frankly I'm tired of being insulted. I think I've made more than reasonable efforts to accommodate your character conception, including agreeing to use the Bo9S (which wasn't listed in the beginning because I barely read the damn thing), a bunch of other homebrew stuff, as well as move class features around to salvage a character conception associated with an absolutely dismal class.

The reason I'm even allowing a Gestalt with a Psion//Crusader+ is because the Psion is magically weaker than the cleric. The Wilder may be magically weaker than the Bard but that isn't the point. So house rules which make the Psion equivalent to the Wizard are not going to be used in this game, end of discussion. In other contexts, good changes perhaps. Not in this one.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I'm impressed with the background write-ups that I have seen so far. Very cool. I'll try my hand at writing up something coherent and apologise beforehand for my bad prose.

The Shadow Circle
In the corners of the world, in places unspoiled by the races of men, the primal forces of nature reign unchecked. The beasts grow more cunning, the darkest recesses guard prehistoric forms of life and a delicate balance is held, seemingly in spite of the widespread devastation that can be unleashed by natural forces.

It was not always this way. Once the entire world was subject to a precarious existance, constantly at odds with a hostile, cleansing force that ensured only the survival of the fittest. Those that would become the civilised races had a fear and respect for nature, never hunting more than they required, never taking more than the land could sustain. When balance was lost, it was only a matter of time before nature found a new equilibrium. With the rise of decadent civilisation, that age draws to an end.

Not all have forgotten the old ways. On the fringes of civilisation, a small, loosely organised society guards the wild against the inexorable progress of civilisation; a ruthless, shamanic cabal of druids known as the Shadow Circle. When a trapper is mauled by animals, a woodsman crushed by a deadfall or a miner is trapped by a collapse, some supersticious folk regain their lost reverance for nature. Those that fail to heed these warnings of the Shadow Circle often fall afoul of tribes of bloodthirsty humanoids, the depredations of feral lycanthropes or enraged fey warbands, aided and granted succor by magicians that can channel nature's wrath.

The Shadow Circle is also capable of subtlety. Sometimes their actions can be as simple as poisoning a well or causing arable land to become overgrown with briars and rife with vermin. A prolonged campaign of harrassment can cause a civilised township to collapse under the weight of it's own decadence, forcing survivors to lead simpler lives, turn to banditry or migrate. In this way, the Shadow Circle believes a semblance of balance is restored to the natural world.

Not all of the Shadow Circle embrace philosophies of chaos or outright malice, yet they all hold the concept of natural balance in the highest esteem. They are extremists within the Druidic order, with a profound
hatred of civilisation. They may form unusual or atypical alliances for a time, they may even employ tactics that would appall more moderate Druids; put simply, they believe the ends justify the means.
Cypress 'Cy' Moonbeam
Binder 3//Druid 3
Militant Environmentalist
Scarcely more than a dozen years have passed since he was born. The contractions of his mother were accompanied by peals of thunder. Her labour pains caused the earth to shake. For three days a storm raged as a chrysalis formed until it was finally torn asunder by a flash of lightning. He was formed spontaneously by the wild power of nature, his auspicious birth heralding the role he would play in times to come.

He was found by a member of the Circle, a strange toddler wandering the forest in an odd fugue state. He was fostered out to a small commune of simple hunters and farmers, who raised him as they would their own children and when it was deemed he was old enough, given instruction by the druids that watched over the simple community.

Cypress, as he came to be known took to his lessons with a precocious ease. Calling upon the blessing of nature was something that required little or no effort from him. He was a vessel, waiting to be filled with the power of nature. It drove his ambition, his aggression and gave him purpose. When Nature needed to impart it's wisdom, it spoke with his voice. When Nature required vengeage, he became it's fist.

There were other voices that gave Cypress guidance as well. They were ancient, but young in comparison to the world. They offered their power in exchange for the ability to touch the world again, though his grasp. Their knowledge refined his understanding and promised of a deeper purpose in the world.

Cypress is a fanatic, batshit insane and an instrument though which various Aspects and Vestiges can influence the world. His own personality and desires take a back seat while alien personalities compete for control of his body.
Stats, gear and notes
Cypress Moonbeam; Male Killoren. Binder 3//Druid 3
Medium Fey
Initiative: +2
Hit Dice: 3d8, 17hp
Speed: 40 feet
AC: 15 (+2 dex, +2 leather, +1 shield), touch 12, ff 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
Attack:melee Silver Sickle (MW) +1
Damage: 1d6 -3
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Spells, Soul Binding
Special Qualities: (racial) Low-Light Vision, Immunity to Sleep, Cold Iron Anaethema(su), Manifest Natures Might(su); (Class) Fast Movement (ex), Rage 1/day(ex), Nature Sense (ex), Wild Empathy (ex), Woodland Stride (ex), Trackless Step (ex), Soul Binding (su), Suppress Sign (ex), Pact Augmentation (su)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3, +2 saves vs. enchantment spells and effects.
Abilities: str 7, dex 14, con 11, int 12, wis 17, cha 15
Skills: Concentration +6, Handle Animal +5*, Knowledge (Arcana) +6, Knowledge (Nature) +10*, Profession (Herbalist) +6*, Spellcraft +9*, Survival +13*
Feats: Extend Spell, Energy Substitution (Electricity), Born of Three Thunders
Flaws: Weak Will
Alignment: True Neutral

*+2 racial bonus to Handle Animal and Survival, +2 bonus to Knowledge (nature) and Survival (nature sense), +2 synergy to survival above ground (not included), +2 synergy to spellcraft and knowledge (nature), +2 Herbalism MW skill kit

Notes:

Killoren Race: from Races of the Wild
Feats: Energy Substitution and Born of Three Thunders from Complete Arcane
Binder: from Tome of Magic.

Skill ranks (5x4 at first, +5 per level) 30
6 in Concentration, spellcraft and survival
5 in Knowledge Nature and Arcana
1 in Handle animal and Prof herbalism

Aspect of Nature. Can choose one at the start of every day; Ancient, Destroyer or Hunter.
Ancient buffs knowledge (nature) checks and will saves, stacking with the normal racial abilities. Probably only active when research needs to be done or Cy gets introspective.
Destroyer grants a smite attack. Typically active when combat is expected. Default choice. +2 to hit, + 3 damage, twice per day.
Hunter buffs stealth and perception skills as well as initiative. Probably active if Cy expects to be sneaking around a lot.

Wild Empathy Checks made at + 1 (-4 Druidic Avenger, +2 charisma, +3 druid level)

Druidic Avenger grant a + 10 bonus to speed.

Druidic Avenger grants Rage as a barbarian, 1 per day.

Born of Three Thunders turns an [electricity] spell into [electricity, sonic]. Anyone damaged must make a fort save at spell DC (13+ spell level) or be stunned for 1 round and a reflex save to avoid being knocked prone if they are stunned (13+ spell level). Casting a three thunders spell dazes the caster the following round.

Energy substitution allows a spell with any energy keyword to become an electricity spell and eligable for three thunders. Assume all energy spells prepared (such as produce flame, flame blade) benefit from three thunders unless otherwise noted.

Favoured vestiges at this level are Leraje and Naberious. Effective Binder level 3. Soul Binding checks made at +5 (binder level + cha)

Assume Leraje is default. She grants precise shot (fire into melee at no penalty, cover still applies), bow proficiencies and a Ricochet ability, which allows ranged attacks to strike adjacent targets with a single attack. Also improved low light vision and +4 Hide checks.

Naberious would only be active if Cy prepares Sanctified or Corrupt spells, in order to recover from ability damage quickly.

Gear Costing (2700 WBL)

Masterwork Silver Sickle 326g
Leather Armour 10g
Explorers outfit (Tied died robes, pantaloons, many pockets, torn and diry)-free
dagger 2g
Longbow 75g
40 arrows, probably made by an elf 2g
Light Wooden Shield 3g
Healers kit 50g
Spell Component Pouch 5g
Belt Pouch 1g
Hemp Shoulder Bag (backpack equivelant) 2g
Wand of Lesser Vigor (SpC) CL 1. 750g
Pearl of Power, level 1. 1000g
Masterwork Artisans Tools (Herbalist; mortar and pestle, pruning knife, etc) 55g

optional:
Extended goodberries with a couple of days remaining.
Devilweed, 10 uses, 60g BoVD p43
Baccaran, 3 uses, 30g BoVD p43

384 gold remaining.
Lemme know if you wold like clarification on anything, require some changes or whatever
Last edited by Winnah on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Preator, kindly go fuck yourself. Never once have I insulted you, for if I had done so I would have been far less subtly about it. Like I am doing right now.

And DM who make arbitrary balance rulings and then refuse to budge on them when you present with arguments on the matter are always awful so its not even particularly hard for me to call you out on being a fucking idiot without even slightly regretting it.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Well, I may have over-reacted, but a three person party is going to be easier to manage anyway; and if someone refuses to stop arguing with me, whether or not I'm in the right it doesn't even matter, possibly better not to have them throwing a temper tantrum during play. The Wilder//Hell-Crusader gestalt conception was kind of cool, so that's a shame.

I'm going to review people's characters and background sometime over the next week, and put a bit more polish on an initial adventure/sandbox, and we'll move from there. One of the problems with a sandbox adventure with evil characters is that every man, woman, child and hideously mutated eunuch is fair-game for being stabbed in the face.
Star Crossed Half-Elf, Lawful Good, Sorceress//Paladin 4
SF: Illusion, GSF: Illusion?

Gilded Warforged, Neutral Good, Cleric of Sol Invictus(Pelor)//Psychic Warrior 4
Sun/Community, not sure what feats to get her...

Star-Crossed Half-Elf, Chaotic Good, Conjurer//Swashbuckler 4
SF: Conjuration, GSF: Conjuration? These PCs are just going to kill her if she doesn't have Improved Initiative.

If the PCs have an opportunity to wear them down a bit first, this should be a fair and reasonable mirror-match.
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, Jee-tche is changed over.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

In terms of the 'holy shit, you guys are all evil' thing, Malak's more Lawful then Evil. Sure, he does worship an evil god, and if he has the opportunity to make blood sacrifices or something without any obvious consequences, he's totally going to go for that... but the mission comes first. And since the mission essentially is 'level up and gather loot', that's not something that precludes any normal sort of adventuring behaviour.

If there was anything more specific to do (notably: rumours that in such and such a place, there's an Eternal Wand of Restoration or something similar), that would narrow the focus of the mission, it'd be the same thing, just more focused (and thus less tolerant of obstacles). That said, Malak's playing the long game. He won't stab people in the face for shits and giggles, because being exposed and hunted by the guards would cause problems. That said, a bunch of helpless prisoners tied up in the bottom of some dungeon somewhere is totally an opportunity to make some Ritual Sacrifice checks.
Last edited by Endovior on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

K'th'on is a hired killer, who mostly satisfies his stranger food tastes through his contracts. Other than that, he's probably more interested in fucking random people in town than stabbing them in the face.

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Endovior wrote:In terms of the 'holy shit, you guys are all evil' thing, Malak's more Lawful then Evil. Sure, he does worship an evil god, and if he has the opportunity to make blood sacrifices or something without any obvious consequences, he's totally going to go for that... but the mission comes first. And since the mission essentially is 'level up and gather loot', that's not something that precludes any normal sort of adventuring behaviour.

If there was anything more specific to do (notably: rumours that in such and such a place, there's an Eternal Wand of Restoration or something similar), that would narrow the focus of the mission, it'd be the same thing, just more focused (and thus less tolerant of obstacles). That said, Malak's playing the long game. He won't stab people in the face for shits and giggles, because being exposed and hunted by the guards would cause problems. That said, a bunch of helpless prisoners tied up in the bottom of some dungeon somewhere is totally an opportunity to make some Ritual Sacrifice checks.
Also, Arran's pretty much totally neutral. I'm still working up a backstory, but I'm currently thinking he ran away from some super-secret order of assassins or something, but it's still pretty vague.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Cy is neutral. Kind of. He won't be afraid to condemn civilised people as decadent, but he will not be throwing lighning bolts at them right away either.

Nature is patient and killoren are practically immortal, so Cy is more concerned with 'big-picture' issues than blasting every farmer he sees.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Amoral instead of Immoral; okay, that's certainly easier to work with.

I'm pretty sure that the Ghoul-spawning feat requires an Evil alignment, but there are shades of black.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It does.

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Oh, forgot to post this earlier:
dieHP
D614
D818
D1022
D1226

That's average + 1, because if you want a TPK you have to earn it.
That's base hp of course, so add 3 x con bonus to that.

Re: Cypress (Winnah)
Oh.... three thunders + flame blade, never seen that before. Thundercats, ho! Or, more like Guile from SFII, juggling people in the corner. But that's fair. You can take flaws if you want them.
Thought for the day - avenging the natural world, why are you taking on murder hobo odd jobs with a death priest, a flashy gnome and a giant death mantis? Just something to do? Dictates of an indwelling spirit?

Re: K'th'on (Prak Anima)
Weren't you going to have a magic item of some kind?
Why don't you work for the Drow any more?

Re: Oathblood Malak (Endovior)
The -6 Initiative Flaw? Ballsy.
+1 Creepy on the background.

Re: Arran (Korgan0)
Up your HP to match the table above. You can take flaws - do you want them?
I need a bit of background, though - otherwise, genre conventions require you to meet the other characters by joining them in an impromptu bar brawl. And then going, "adventure calls! Sign for up for murder hobo #4!" Alternatively, you could be the one who actually has the job.
Last edited by DrPraetor on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

DrPraetor wrote: Re: Arran (Korgan0)
Up your HP to match the table above. You can take flaws - do you want them?
I need a bit of background, though - otherwise, genre conventions require you to meet the other characters by joining them in an impromptu bar brawl. And then going, "adventure calls! Sign for up for murder hobo #4!" Alternatively, you could be the one who actually has the job.
Yeah, I should have some backstory pretty soon. Thanks for reminding me about the flaws- I edited my sheet to give myself Vulnerable in exchange for SF (Illusion). Would it be okay if I switched from a swashbuckler half to a soulborn? It plays into the backstory I'm thinking about in that he would have run away from the assassin order because what they tried to make him do conflicted with his beliefs so strongly, and it gives me a lot more cool stuff to do, since swashbuckler might actually be the most boring class ever.

edit: I also rejiggered some skills around.
Last edited by Korgan0 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

DrPraetor wrote: Re: Cypress (Winnah)
Oh.... three thunders + flame blade, never seen that before. Thundercats, ho! Or, more like Guile from SFII, juggling people in the corner. But that's fair. You can take flaws if you want them.
Thought for the day - avenging the natural world, why are you taking on murder hobo odd jobs with a death priest, a flashy gnome and a giant death mantis? Just something to do? Dictates of an indwelling spirit?
Will of the spirits. Also, his long term goal of toppling civilisation beomes a lot more achievable if he works within civilisation. That goal also becomes a lot lot easier if he can test his mettle and strengthen his connection to nature and spirits (gain levels). Crawling through ruins to study what caused ancient cultures to fall might give hm a few ideas too.

Working with a death priest and some assassins could present some opportunities to effect some change in the world. Adventuring should provide many opportunities for recconaissance. If I (as a player) can convince the group to sell out or betray a village during a monster hunt quest (assuming the monster is 'natural'), then I''ll try and do so. But I'm not going to be a dick about it.

I'm not going to force my characters morality/fanaticism on other members of the group. From a roleplaying perspective, the only thing that might set Cypress off would be chain spawning hordes of undead and letting them roam around uncontrolled. Other than that, I can't imagine any issues; my character will be there to provide ranged support and spell options to the group. If I go overboard and another player wants me to dial it back, just say so.

RE Flaws: I took the Weak Will flaw, -3 will saves, to gain the Born of Three Thunders feat.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Korgan0 - Beguiler//Soulborn is fine as well.