Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

hyzmarca wrote:
The fact that you're murdering innocent people (which is somewhat morally dubious) to make weapons that kill evil is a feature, not a bug.
That part does not strike me as being true.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Chamomile wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:
The fact that you're murdering innocent people (which is somewhat morally dubious) to make weapons that kill evil is a feature, not a bug.
That part does not strike me as being true.
It depends on the setting and the tone of the game. In a dark setting where the players have to make hard choices and the line between the good guys and the bad guys isn't so clear, then it works. If you're using it as a throwaway gag in a dark comedy, it works, too.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Sure, but while I'm a fan of grey settings where the line between good and evil is hard to see, I'm not so much a fan of grimdark settings where it's hard to tell if good is even a thing at all. As such, when you encounter pure elemental Goodness, it should be so unambiguously good that basically none of my players are ever going to be uncomfortable with it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so, between no job, and bills and debt, I'm fucking broke. So, I'm considering the idea of putting out an offer of taking commissions in various places on the net, such as Devart and Tumblr.

For those of you that follow amateur artists, what do you guys think would be a decent price for commissions of varying levels? Say, sketches, lineart, colours?

From a bit of informal research on tumblr, what I'm seeing, roughly, is:
Sketch- ~$5
Lineart- ~$7.25
Colours- ~$13

Granted, most of what I saw when I was grabbing those prices, well, sucked. There were definitely some standouts, but it seems like there's a definite skill gap between "Here are my prices" and "Oh hey, yeah, I take commissions *no pricing list to be found on tumblr*"

Which... well, I'll be better than some of the price list posting people, a bit rougher than others.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Do you have a gallery I can look at?
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Was thinking the same thing. No way I'd pay more than a quarter if I don't have any idea of how it'll actually turn out.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cham, you should have some idea.

I'm working on updating my devart gallery at the moment. I've got mostly sketches up so far.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Oh, yeah, you totally drew that one thing the one time. Hobbes. I remember that now.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Welp, done uploading stuff for the night. I have more I could upload, but it either is old and shitty, or I'm not yet sure I want to upload it.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so I don't read many comics. Wonder Woman is the CEO of a tech company in her private persona, isn't she?

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ok, so I don't read many comics. Wonder Woman is the CEO of a tech company in her private persona, isn't she?
Which version? :biggrin:

Currently, I believe she doesn't have a secret identity. Her classic SI was in the air force. I don't think she's run a company since that unfortunate period when she owned a mod boutique.

You may be thinking of Power Girl, who was running a tech company for at least a while (possibly currently, the recent reboot makes it hard to say).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...yes, I think I am. Damnit. Ok, what the fuck does she do when she isn't snapping necks and punching faces in?

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Prak_Anima wrote:...yes, I think I am. Damnit. Ok, what the fuck does she do when she isn't snapping necks and punching faces in?
Like I said, right now I think she doesn't have a secret ID, her day job is ambassador from Paradise Island to Man's World.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

huh. Ok then. Thanks.

edit: I remember a whole "Cat woman possessed by a cat demon" thing from Gotham City Sirens, is that canon?
Last edited by Prak on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ok, so I don't read many comics. Wonder Woman is the CEO of a tech company in her private persona, isn't she?
You are thinking Power Girl, whose secret ID is Karen Starr, head of Starr Enterprises.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Makes sense that that's who I was thinking of, I vastly prefer Power Girl over WW, and not just because of the boob window. I was curious because I was outlining a five year plan to fix WB/DC's fuck up of getting a JLA movie for a "Ok, so you're in charge of a nerd property/company, what company, and what do you do?" contest. Sadly, I think ditching WW in favour of PG would be a non-starter, for a myriad of reasons.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:Makes sense that that's who I was thinking of, I vastly prefer Power Girl over WW, and not just because of the boob window. I was curious because I was outlining a five year plan to fix WB/DC's fuck up of getting a JLA movie for a "Ok, so you're in charge of a nerd property/company, what company, and what do you do?" contest. Sadly, I think ditching WW in favour of PG would be a non-starter, for a myriad of reasons.
Well, you need Wonder Woman because despite the fact that she hasn't had a consistent backstory for more than three years running for the last forty years, she is still the most iconic female superhero. Not the most iconic female superhero in DC's stable, the most iconic over all. For a movie, you need to just pick one of the versions and run with it. She's been an Amazon, a Clay Golem made flesh, a half-god, and a bunch of other crap. But for a movie none of that is super important. The important part is that she has bracers of missile deflection, a whip of truth, and the ability to lift and throw a car. You don't need to delve any more into her backstory than Thor did into Thor's. She's on roughly Thor's power level for extremely similar reasons, and you want to open up by showing her kick all kinds of ass against the forces of Ares or Alkyone or something.

For a movie, you really don't need to go into depth on their Secret Identity, and you can even have her just not have a secret ID. Her name actually is Dianna, and she can jolly well just wander around Washington DC with a coat over her Amazon armor.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, for the comment with my entry I basically said "five minute origin montage, show clay body being sculpted, blessings of gods, equipment being made and given, and Amazonian Queen going "go be our ambassador", ending with her landing in New York.
Then you spend about twenty to thirty minutes showing her going to college, take ALL the classes, then some scenes of her in the military, letting you do a John Stewart cameo. After 40ish minutes of background shit, show her being the UN Ambassador for Themyscira, then have Ares attack.
Last edited by Prak on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I think at one point she was. She's also been part of a SHIELD-like agency.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, during the 70s or something, when the (British) Avengers and other action girl stuff was big, they depowered her and made her a secret agent. It wasn't received well.

Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

How can I deal with nuisance text messages and phone calls?

Someone I used to know threatened to report me as a child molester because I disagreed with him about copyright law, so I booted him. Now he's been texting me 4-5 times a day and calling constantly. I would really rather not deal with this directly because he thinks threatening to report people as a child molester is a valid reaction to a disagreement, but I feel I have to do SOMETHING.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

If you want to escalate things (which is a bad idea), you could always file for a Restraining Order.

Is there a way to block his number on your phone?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

There was a brief and terrible period in the 90s where Wonder Woman was working at a TacoBell expy and living out of a rented room in a little old lady's house. Like Superman's mullet, it is best forgotten.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I like the Wonder Woman proposed by Dresden Codak.

Origin: Since antiquity there had been a remote Mediterranean island, Themyscira, inhabited by near-mythical women, often called Amazons. They mastered many arts of combat, but also had a knowledge of mysterious crafts regarded by outsiders as “magic.” Over time their numbers dwindled, but they created a special keeper of their island, a living statue whom they named Diana. Over a thousand years later, long after the last of the Amazons had died out, Diana remained. Her vigil was finally interrupted by the plane crash of an American pilot, Steve Trevor. Taking pity on him and nursing him back to health, Diana decided that the “world of men” was too fragile and needed protecting, or at the very least investigating.

Powers: Diana is composed of nearly indestructible “living marble,” which gives her superhuman strength and durability. She also possesses a sword that contains the lightning of Zeus and a shield containing the wisdom of Athena (which, when using its reflection, can reveal a person’s inner self and compel them to tell the truth).

Notes: I wanted to push the mythological angle further, not just for story possibilities but because it can make her more unique from Superman. Too often is Wonder Woman defined by as “the female superhero” rather than anything especially unique about her. The novelty of a superhero being female may have been acceptable in the 1940s, but now it’s quaint at best. Presenting her as a literal living statue is actually not far from her regular origin (she was formed by the Queen of the Amazons out of clay and given life), and it also provides an added Pygmalion or Telos mythological angle, which I think suits her character to begin with. Visually, I gave her something more Greek-like and battle ready, more so than the little bathing suit Wonder Woman usually has. Like most of the Justice League, she’s an alien in the regular world, but she also provides a unique perspective. This, I believe, is an essential theme of the team.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Ted the Flayer wrote:How can I deal with nuisance text messages and phone calls?

Someone I used to know threatened to report me as a child molester because I disagreed with him about copyright law, so I booted him. Now he's been texting me 4-5 times a day and calling constantly. I would really rather not deal with this directly because he thinks threatening to report people as a child molester is a valid reaction to a disagreement, but I feel I have to do SOMETHING.
I know that I can just call my provider and get a number blocked, but it might not be so simple where you live I guess.

So I googled a bit and one of the first hits has some suggestions:
http://lifehacker.com/5602865/whats-the ... -cellphone
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.