Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by User3 »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1178346644[/unixtime]]Screenshot or it didn't happen.

No really, how do you know that cause that article is missing the normal about the author bit.

Because it uses their first names instead of screen names? Seriously, it doesn't say they're *not* WotC employees - the opening paragraph just makes it sound like you're free to submit your own answers (and Cogit9 - clearly a screenname - did).
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Frank Trollman is Frank's name so I'm not buying that. While you might well be right you can't prove anything, which is effectively the same.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

More people who don't appear to be able to decide what 'broken' means...

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=842655
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1178525763[/unixtime]]Frank Trollman is Frank's name so I'm not buying that. While you might well be right you can't prove anything, which is effectively the same.

I don't think "Trollman" is really his last name, but I get your point.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1178537208[/unixtime]]
Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1178525763[/unixtime]]Frank Trollman is Frank's name so I'm not buying that. While you might well be right you can't prove anything, which is effectively the same.

Actually it totally is. In the United States, the family chopped off the extra "n", but in the old world it's "Trollmann". Such as:

Ignaz Trollmann
and
Johann Trollmann.

Ignaz Trollmann conquered Serbia and Montenegro for the Austro Hungarian Empire and organized militia of Albanians to police the area. As we know, nothing bad ever happened there again.

Johann Trollmann was a boxer in the thirties who humiliated the Nazis by making fun of them and beating their favorite Aryan super men. Ultimately they paid him back by torturing him and murdering him in Neuengamme.

-Username17
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

The Excerpt of Complete Champion is up
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex ... r][br]Even Adepts (NPC for DMG) gets some love :tongue:

Oh this quote cracked me up.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php ... stcount=34
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I love how so few people actually realize just how awesometastic the Cleric and Druid are.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1178558521[/unixtime]]
Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1178537208[/unixtime]]

Actually it totally is. In the United States, the family chopped off the extra "n", but in the old world it's "Trollmann". Such as:

Ignaz Trollmann
and
Johann Trollmann.

Ignaz Trollmann conquered Serbia and Montenegro for the Austro Hungarian Empire and organized militia of Albanians to police the area. As we know, nothing bad ever happened there again.

Johann Trollmann was a boxer in the thirties who humiliated the Nazis by making fun of them and beating their favorite Aryan super men. Ultimately they paid him back by torturing him and murdering him in Neuengamme.

-Username17

That is totally awesome.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Leress wrote:Oh this quote cracked me up.
http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php ... stcount=34
I don't actually know what was the relative power level of the AD&D cleric, but mentioning THAC0 at all in 3E discussion is enough sign of mental disability. Also, while I consider the warblade a fine class (yes, you heard it), it's fine exactly in the "whoever thinks it's overpowered must've never, ever seen a wizard played by a non-retard" sense.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I don't know about AD&D, but waaay back in Expert (blue box), Elves and Magic-Users got the familiar progression of 1st level spells at 1st, 2nd level spells at 3rd, 3rd level spells at 5th, and so on.

Clerics had the following progression:

Code: Select all

Spells[br]Level   1  2  3  4  5[br]  1     -  -  -  -  -[br]  2     1  -  -  -  -[br]  3     2  -  -  -  -[br]  4     2  1  -  -  -[br]  5     2  2  -  -  -[br]  6     2  2  1  1  -[br]  7     2  2  2  2  1[br]  8     3  3  2  2  1[br].....[br] 14     6  5  5  5  4

And note that at level 14, Magic-Users had a mere 4/4/4/4/3/3 slots per day (Expert only went up to level 14 and 5th level cleric/6th level magic-user spells

So I don't think the "clerics = teh uber" is necessarily just a 3E convention.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Also, I forgot to note the inherent irony of this joke calling itself "Minmaximus" while considering the cleric weaker than the warblade.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Guest wrote:So I don't think the "clerics = teh uber" is necessarily just a 3E convention.
Do you have anything to say about the relative balance of the spells themselves? Because if the cleric was indeed a healbot in those times (I doubt it, though), it's not problematic at all. But it may just be the retarded tradition of thinking roleplay issues make up for gameplay balance.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=805833 - a WizO shows insiders can be idiots too ... (Wait - isn't Skip Williams an insider?) and the author thinks a favored soul loses abilities upon using a non-favored weapon ...
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178572078[/unixtime]]
Guest wrote:So I don't think the "clerics = teh uber" is necessarily just a 3E convention.
Do you have anything to say about the relative balance of the spells themselves? Because if the cleric was indeed a healbot in those times (I doubt it, though), it's not problematic at all. But it may just be the retarded tradition of thinking roleplay issues make up for gameplay balance.

Just look at it this way: Priests got wish as a 7th level spell back in oD&D. Yep, they only had seven levels of spells, but those spell levels were pretty damn good, and the character didn't have to have a glass jaw in order to get them.

Priests were uber. Clerics are uber. Many people don't recognize that such has always been the case.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178572078[/unixtime]]

Actually, taking a look through their respective spell lists, I retract my earlier point. Cleric spellcasting was garbage. I can only assume they were still big on large combats and siege warfare, because "Create Water" is level 4 and "Create Food" is level 5. Other highlights include Cure Serious Wounds (2d6+2) as a 4th level spell, and Insect Place as a 5th level spell (all it does is drive off <4HD creatures and obscure vision for 60' diameter).

Whereas Wizards get rockstar spells like Confusion and Wall of Ice at level 4, Cloudkill and Hold Monster at level 5, and Disintegrate at 6th. Plus other stuff; it's hard to even tell what's good against monsters in that version.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1178342030[/unixtime]]...But the specific guys he quoted are Wizards employees.

-Crissa

No they weren't.

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

power_word_wedgie at [unixtime wrote:1178575414[/unixtime]]
Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1178342030[/unixtime]]...But the specific guys he quoted are Wizards employees.

-Crissa

No they weren't.

I think no one is really reading what is being put on the thread before they post.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

If you mean me or just in general? If you mean me, I'll help clarify what I meant.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Sweet jesus! I had no idea that Trollman was your real name. That's amazing karma.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

power_word_wedgie at [unixtime wrote:1178580013[/unixtime]]If you mean me or just in general? If you mean me, I'll help clarify what I meant.

In general. I was referring to the thread that you posted
]
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1178560333[/unixtime]]The Excerpt of Complete Champion is up
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex ... stcount=34

Oh bloody hell... they actually made a healing reserve feat... I was afraid of that. Granted it's only a tiny amount, but that's still basicly completly free unlimited healing inbetween fights...

At least the old wand of cure light wounds had a small cost to it.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178582644[/unixtime]]
Leress at [unixtime wrote:1178560333[/unixtime]]The Excerpt of Complete Champion is up

Oh bloody hell... they actually made a healing reserve feat... I was afraid of that. Granted it's only a tiny amount, but that's still basicly completly free unlimited healing inbetween fights...

(Costs a feat and the use of a spell slot) =/= (completely free)
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1178582962[/unixtime]]
Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178582644[/unixtime]]

(Costs a feat and the use of a spell slot) = (complete ass)

There, fixed it for you. :thumb:
]
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1178580638[/unixtime]]Sweet jesus! I had no idea that Trollman was your real name. That's amazing karma.

This shows how many people read my posts. Seriously, I linked to the credits page of that Shadowrun book Frank wrote for. I'm going to go sit in a corner and emo it up now.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I read it. I think this coming from a guest will be especially painful, though. Good emo-ing ...