Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chamomile wrote:Where can I find a forum of people who'd be interested in actually playing a setting creation game?
I think your main problem is that question is incoherent. When you say that you have a setting creation game, I don't know what you are talking about. I don't think anyone else does either.

So basically you have some sort of homebrew game that you want people to play without seeing the rules? I don't know how many people are going to be into that.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm actually running a setting creation LARP next month, where the players are the titans and gods of the world, and their petty squabbles and thoughtless sexing up will be interpreted metaphorically into the world.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

angelfromanotherpin seems to have grasped the concept well enough. A setting creation game. A game in which you create a setting. Slightly less tautologically, a game in which the rules are specifically geared towards the creation of a setting. It's not a TTRPG campaign, though, and I get the feeling that anotherpin's was. Ish. Maybe. Regardless, it's designed to be played over the internet.

Also, I haven't slept in 36 hours, so if this turns out more coherent than the original, I'm going to laugh, but only because everything seems funnier when I'm sleep deprived.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Chamomile wrote:angelfromanotherpin seems to have grasped the concept well enough. A setting creation game. A game in which you create a setting. Slightly less tautologically, a game in which the rules are specifically geared towards the creation of a setting. It's not a TTRPG campaign, though, and I get the feeling that anotherpin's was. Ish. Maybe. Regardless, it's designed to be played over the internet.

Also, I haven't slept in 36 hours, so if this turns out more coherent than the original, I'm going to laugh, but only because everything seems funnier when I'm sleep deprived.
So go sleep, then put up an actual set of rules in ITT (not just a link trail back through three other forums). Make sure you establish how often you're going to iterate turns, and how much detail you want in posts. Also, what format you want war/peace decisions in.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I started up a thread to get some NPC tribes made just before the beginning of the Reddit game, and while it worked great for that purpose, when I brought up the idea of running the game here (since the NPC fluff was way better than all the PC fluff I was getting from Reddit) it didn't seem to get much of a response.

I also posted the rules and no one responded saying they liked or didn't like the game on a concept level, let alone liked it enough to play it, so I assume that either my presentation was way off or the game hit a sweet spot where it was too bad to be worth commenting on but too good for there to be any fun in attacking it.

I've reposted this game to practically every other forum I frequent at one point or another (and I've actually found one where it looks like it'll actually happen right now). If I didn't have reason to believe it'd fail here, I would've tried it here, too.

So, are you actually saying you, personally, would play the game if I posted it, or do you just think other people might if I did?
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I'll give it a try, Chamomile. For simplicity's sake, you should organize it into a single document and put it all in one topic.

Intro,
Rules,
setting info
etc..
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
K
King

Post by K »

Cynic wrote:I'll give it a try, Chamomile. For simplicity's sake, you should organize it into a single document and put it all in one topic.

Intro,
Rules,
setting info
etc..
Yeh, I went through the nested documents and wasn't able to find evidence of a "game," just various discussions.

Then my eyes glazed over and I went on with my life.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Bugger, accidentally linked the fluff request thread twice. The other post has been edited so that the second link goes to the rules post from IMOI like it should, and the link is reposted here for your convenience.

EDIT: Also, I'm wondering whether to run a version of this game here. It's found a home elsewhere, but that elsewhere is generally less competent than here. This is both a disadvantage and an advantage. While the disadvantage is obvious, the positive is that people there are unfamiliar enough with basic concepts of game design (like "simplicity is good") which makes even a marginally competently made game seem absurdly good by comparison. This lack of competition guarantees I'll always have a fair few number of players.
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

question
is the term "sloe-eyed" considered racist
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Psychic Robot wrote:question
how dare you insult the differently cognitive by using intelligence-biased words like "question" and "considered"
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I have never heard that term before.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Originally it refered to people who had sloe berry colored eyes. IE: dark purple/black. It's come to mean slanted eyes over the years.

Neve Campbell is considered to be Sloe-Eyed.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Whatever wrote:how dare you insult the differently cognitive by using intelligence-biased words like "question" and "considered"
As someone who is differently-cognitive I am insulted at your insultedness at the possibility of me, or anyone else, being insulted.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Quantumboost wrote:As someone who is differently-cognitive I am insulted at your insultedness at the possibility of me, or anyone else, being insulted.
As a card carrying member of the Political Correctness Police, I'm shocked that you would attempt to stifle my personal form of creative expression and external-nonself-victimization. But as you are differently cognitive, it is not your fault.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

sabs wrote:Neve Campbell is considered to be Sloe-Eyed.
Because of shape or color?
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Whatever wrote:As a card carrying member of the Political Correctness Police, I'm shocked that you would attempt to stifle my personal form of creative expression and external-nonself-victimization. But as you are differently cognitive, it is not your fault.
Indeed, as you are victimizing external nonselfs, it is yours.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

RobbyPants wrote:
sabs wrote:Neve Campbell is considered to be Sloe-Eyed.
Because of shape or color?
I am not sure, but I suspect color.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Quantumboost wrote:Indeed, as you are victimizing external nonselfs, it is yours.
I take full responsibility for any and all sarcasm, parody, or general trolling. Not just mine. All of it. Ever. Totally my fault.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I have only ever heard the term in reference to someone [a female] who was exotically alluring. I don't personally consider that to be racist.

For whatever reason, a lot of people think it means lazy, slow, stupid, blank, vapid, etc. Is there are similar term they're confusing "sloe eyed" with?
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Doe-eyed? Slow-eyed?
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Maj wrote:
I have only ever heard the term in reference to someone [a female] who was exotically alluring. I don't personally consider that to be racist.

For whatever reason, a lot of people think it means lazy, slow, stupid, blank, vapid, etc. Is there are similar term they're confusing "sloe eyed" with?
I dunno, but I'd never heard the term "porch monkey" before I saw Clerks 2.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, this feels like a stupid question, but I seriously want to know.

So, the economy bullshit. I know that printing more money raises prices because inflation. But isn't inflation generally the free market response to more money being printed? So what if the government just printed a bunch more money, handed it out and told people "Don't raise prices this time*."

*this is a hypothetical situation, clearly, presupposed on the idea that the government wouldn't have to make some kind of law in order to get the free market to not inflate prices... which, yes, I understand would never happen. And of course the republicans would be against it anyway for some inexplicable reason.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Didn't Nixon try something similar with disastrous results?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

1) you still get wrecked on exchange rates
2) more generally, having the dollar as basically the global currency is so hugely advantageous for america, that we basically can't risk that just for some short term gains by printing a lot of money
3) that doesn't stop us from doing as much as we think we can get away with. gogo federal reserve
4) if you try to make it illegal to charge higher prices for goods, companies will respond by going out of business if they can no longer make a profit
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Here's a psuedo-medical question:

My knees are starting to give out. I know if I drop more weight then they'll feel better, but today they hurt really bad. Any hints on what to do to reduce joint pain?