Dominion 3 Strategy & Questions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You can be a slave a slave and a master. Remember that if you're a slave, you don't act if someone earlier in the count casts a spell.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Wait, does that mean that with 2 S1 mages, I could cast an S5 spell by using communion slave, communion master, light of the north star, and power of the spheres?
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

If I summon a Queen of Elemental Water on land does she immediately die or do I have a turn to give her an amulet of the fish?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Normally, I don't think you can cast that spell on land. Maybe it's possible through some kind of copyspell shenanigans, but I can't think of any way to do it offhand.

I've played games that start you off with random commanders, and this has given me land units underwater. They died in turn 2, so I assume that appropriate items would let a Water Queen survive getting summoned on land.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You could wish for a queen of oceans while on land. She would die. Drowning is calculated I think after movement battles, but in any case after casting. So she'd appear and then she would drown.

In games where starting units are in the wrong terrain, there was no turn zero, so there's no drowning step for them to die in before the first turn. If I recall correctly, if you move them into the correct terrain on the first turn, then the drowning step comes after movement and they get to live. But newly summoned creatures have to stay put on the turn they are summoned.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

The way I've been playing Ashdod: Cyclops Earth 9/Nature 6 bless; then Production 3, Order 3, Drain 2, Misfortune 2, Heat 3, and the rest in growth with a dom of 5 or so.

For Niefleheim; can I just play it the exact same as that, except cold rather than heat?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

IIRC, Niefl doesn't need high production.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Niefl should take sloth, and drain could easily make your life miserable. I take death and luck as Niefl, but that is just me.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I thought one of the three Water Queens can walk on land? Or is this a mistake in the description?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Zinegata wrote:I thought one of the three Water Queens can walk on land? Or is this a mistake in the description?
That's correct, but the spell can still only be cast underwater.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I mean that you can wish for the land-walking Water Queen on land, and she wouldn't die because she won't drown.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

I think you can't wish for that one queen specifically, so it would be quite a gamble.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Nachtigallerator wrote:I think you can't wish for that one queen specifically, so it would be quite a gamble.
Oh you definitely can. A Queen of the Lake is a different unit from a Queen of the Deeps, and is wished for separately. She's not even a bad thug, since she regenerates at 33 points a turn, can quicken and cold field herself, and has generally good stats. She needs a Flying Carpet to accomplish much, and lacks feet. But She does not need a regeneration or quickness item and recuperates battle afflictions. But if you really need a Water caster, you will probably wish for the Traitor King, since he walks out with Water 5.

There are a lot of pretty awesome things you can wish for. Some time try wishing for an Onyx Oracle, an Earth Blooded, a Decrepit, a Master of the Shadow Blossom, a Spenta of the Waters, a Wanderer, or a High King. Crazy shit.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Did some playing with the wishing for things, and I'll admit I haven't done it before. Is it normal for the wished-for units to show up as troops and need Gift of Reason to get their paths and stuff?
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Yeah, that is how all wished units appear.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

And this is because I don't mind being wrong - if I write false stuff, chances are it's baiting Frank into making one of this crazily informative posts that reveals details I'd have no hopes of finding out by glossing over the wiki. So, thanks :)
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I love the posts like, 1 or 2 pages back which were like "What do you do with a Gem" followed by awesome write ups of the best strategies for various gems.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

What happens when two people try to make the same artifact on the same turn?
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:What happens when two people try to make the same artifact on the same turn?
One of them gets it and the other wastes gems. If you want to maximize your chances you need to forge with top and bottom unit IDs, though doing so it painful for more expensive artifacts.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

This forum needs an mark/save single post function...
Quoting it into an PN is another option, but more work ;-)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ikeren wrote:I love the posts like, 1 or 2 pages back which were like "What do you do with a Gem" followed by awesome write ups of the best strategies for various gems.
Is that a subtle way of requesting more? If so, which one?

-Username17
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Ikeren wrote:I love the posts like, 1 or 2 pages back which were like "What do you do with a Gem" followed by awesome write ups of the best strategies for various gems.
Is that a subtle way of requesting more? If so, which one?

-Username17
I'll put in a request for Death. I'm playing Death-heavy nations in two Den games at the moment, and I'm suffering from option paralysis.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

No. I am not that subtle. We got Air, Water, Nature, Fire on pages 23-24. That leaves Death, Astral, Earth, Blood...I'll second the request for death.