Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:This is assuming that Pathfinder actually seriously wanted to fix the issue of Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards. I know more than a few people that are mortally offended by the thought of non-magical people being equal to the magical people.
I think it's clear that they never intended on making any fundamental changes to 3.5, considering their target audience was people who liked playing 3.5. Why gamble on something completely new when you can make a few superficial changes and just advertise it as new instead?
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

On some level I think Hogarth is right... ,but with the ferocity that the "Right" changes were attacked, and the questionable reactions of Jason "Bullshitman" B. It seems to me there was a personal investiture and high mindedness that I've always concluded came from the idea that he/they were on to something great. . .
... maybe he's just got some impossible ego on him... I guess that could be it too. Can't say, not enough evidence.
As for the "At what poit did you know", I knew when I read the advertising line from the begining when they said Fixed D&D + Backwards compatability/Use your old stuff. The open playtest results just proved something was wrong, but it was the initial lie that set off alarms all over my mind.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Shit like this and this really irritate the fuck out of me. It's like these knobby bone chokers have forgotten that you can just take ranks in Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy to better your social skills. Also, there's some rectal ranger in the second thread who thinks it's a good idea for elves to dump Constitution.

Thing about this stuff, though, is that it just highlights the problems with Paizo's playerbase and not their system... of course these are the types of people who have no idea why Pathfinder is a poor system...

You guys are already aware of this fucknuttery, so I apologise for being redundant. I just had to get this out of my system because it pisses me right the fuck off.

If you don't want people dumping charisma, alter the game's mechanics so that it's useful to everyone.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Datawolf wrote:Shit like this and this really irritate the fuck out of me. It's like these knobby bone chokers have forgotten that you can just take ranks in Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy to better your social skills. Also, there's some rectal ranger in the second thread who thinks it's a good idea for elves to dump Constitution.

Thing about this stuff, though, is that it just highlights the problems with Paizo's playerbase and not their system... of course these are the types of people who have no idea why Pathfinder is a poor system....
Yeah, there's nothing particularly Pathfinder-ish about those threads; they'd be complaining about the same thing in 3.5 as well, I assume.
K
King

Post by K »

Datawolf wrote:Shit like this and this really irritate the fuck out of me. It's like these knobby bone chokers have forgotten that you can just take ranks in Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy to better your social skills. Also, there's some rectal ranger in the second thread who thinks it's a good idea for elves to dump Constitution.

Thing about this stuff, though, is that it just highlights the problems with Paizo's playerbase and not their system... of course these are the types of people who have no idea why Pathfinder is a poor system...

You guys are already aware of this fucknuttery, so I apologise for being redundant. I just had to get this out of my system because it pisses me right the fuck off.

If you don't want people dumping charisma, alter the game's mechanics so that it's useful to everyone.
There really is nothing to be done for the people that think that a you should ignore the rules for social checks and RP CHA as the only stat that counts.

I mean, your social ability is supposed to be your social skills plus stats plus mods, meaning the CHA 18 guy with no skill or mods is supposed to be vastly inferior to the guy with ten ranks and Cha 6. Those are the rules and we can discuss changes to the rules to make that not true, but they aren't doing that.

So I don't know what to say. Not being rational means I can't even argue with you. These are the same people who think Monks are overpowered because they can fight without weapons and that Factotums are uber-powerful because once a day they can do something cool, and they won't listen.

They don't even care about balance, but they insist that their opinions on game balance be heeded and offended when you suggest otherwise.
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

Nitpick:
I thought the Factotum thing was 1/encounter? (=> costly extra standard actions) That's not uber-powerful, but it's a neat trick that gets online around the same time as wizard extra actions via celerity.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Factotums can get a lot of extra actions, but they run out of spells really quick. They get something like 8 spells per day at level 20, not 8 spells per level but 8 spells in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

The thing about low Cha is the only difference between 3.5 and PF there is in PF you'll have 1 less Cha, because it gives you 2 more bonus points for no real loss. That's all there is really. Otherwise, it's the typical Paizil Fuckwit mindset, where doing anything they don't like, be it having a low Cha because Cha is worthless, ignoring traps because traps are worthless, or playing in any way other than the way they want leads to them trying to get you. This is the main reason why Kingmaker is a fail module, without very strict rules such behavior is encouraged.

And at the same time they bitch at optimizers, claiming they're the ones pulling the One True Way card. Look in the fucking mirror you damn Paizils.

Also, getting a kick out of how they're shoving it to beatsticks, while at the same time they claim this isn't Caster Edition.
Last edited by Roy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Thanks for being merciful. Once again I apologise for lowering the quality of this thread. I've stopped crying now.

Just breathe... the Paizils can't hurt you anymore... just breathe...
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

This series just keeps getting better. Bravo, Japan.
FrankTrollman wrote:Coming or going, you must deny people their fervent wishes, because their genuine desire is retarded and impossible.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Datawolf wrote:Thanks for being merciful. Once again I apologise for lowering the quality of this thread. I've stopped crying now.

Just breathe... the Paizils can't hurt you anymore... just breathe...
You'll feel better once you start smiting them.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

The episode is very mature content (lol). Apparently, griffon island can cause dog sex due to magic alchemy or something.

I'm sad that Hilda didn't fall for a PC: the wizard and her should be shipped.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Disagree. That just results in greater quantities of fail and threadlock.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I really want to do the Pathfailure Adventures style-thing with my IRC game. It's a shame I'm lazy though. But it would be awesome, complete with Bad Engrish.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Smiting cures fail. And cancer. You should know that.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Roy wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:
Smiting cures fail. And cancer. You should know that.
I believe evidence supports that having strongly worded arguments thrown at you makes the average person MORE secure in their position, not less.

The whole "suck on a barrel of cocks" meme we have here might be direct, but evidence suggests that it's an ineffective way to get someone to agree with you.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

That's funny, because it's worked before, multiple times. Sure, it makes Ferrous Cranuses not change, but then again everything else does the same thing to them, and smiting them at least makes it clear their behavior is unacceptable, and also marks them as undesirable so that other people can disregard them.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Roy wrote:That's funny, because it's worked before, multiple times. Sure, it makes Ferrous Cranuses not change, but then again everything else does the same thing to them, and smiting them at least makes it clear their behavior is unacceptable, and also marks them as undesirable so that other people can disregard them.
Usually when I make strong arguments, I just get ganged up on. I try to avoid them these days because I hate being ganged up on.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

There's a Tome feat for that.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Roy wrote:There's a Tome feat for that.
I don't have the "Awesome" tag, I don't actually have any feats.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Are you a construct or vermin? :p
Finkin
1st Level

Post by Finkin »

Roy wrote:That's funny, because it's worked before, multiple times. Sure, it makes Ferrous Cranuses not change, but then again everything else does the same thing to them, and smiting them at least makes it clear their behavior is unacceptable, and also marks them as undesirable so that other people can disregard them.
Sure you can try that over on the Paizo boards, but whenever I see anyone attempt to smite down something incorrect or out of whack with their system all of the smiting and the correct information it accompanies is simply drowned out in all of the noise created by the army of white knight cockroaches that crawl out by the dozens to defend their beloved system of fail.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Finkin wrote:
Sure you can try that over on the Paizo boards, but whenever I see anyone attempt to smite down something incorrect or out of whack with their system all of the smiting and the correct information it accompanies is simply drowned out in all of the noise created by the army of white knight cockroaches that crawl out by the dozens to defend their beloved system of fail.
And they have all manner of products for that. Starting with flamethrowers. Because everything is better with more fire.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Smiting (at least Den-style) only works when you outnumber the target. Even then, it's a toss up whether they actually change their position, just stop talking about it, or get angry and leave.
It can be entertaining, at least. But some threads here have way the fuck too much - like pouring a whole salt shaker on your food. When every second post is about how the other posters are malevolent retards, that gets old fast.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 am, edited 4 times in total.