Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Akula wrote:I was just given an alternate CD key by a generous forum goer. So I can play in this game if a slot can be added to the server. I'll take Bogarus.
Done :thumb:
Rabelais
Journeyman

Game full?

Post by Rabelais »

Looking for a good game. Let me know if there is a slot? Thanks.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I think Gnost. has switched his preferred nation to Caelum, which should let Akula take Marignon if he wishes.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Akula wrote:I was just given an alternate CD key by a generous forum goer.
That generous Forum goer is a real nice guy I hear.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

If R'lyeh is in we have a new "threat to world peace" :P.

BTW, we are using 3.26 right?
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

LA ryleh is shitter than MA ryleh and LA ermor. They have to pay upkeep for their chaff so the gold problems have to be seen to be believed, and your awesome mages and troops are super expensive, plus you lose good access to clamming because your slave mages go nuts.

Overall, not a great team. However, they are very fucking annoying due to their dominion.

^^ Llamaserver is using 3.26, so yes we will be.
Last edited by cthulhu on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

So... no crusade against the squidfaced menace? :(

Edit: My Pretender is in.
Last edited by Zinegata on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

If the squidfaced menace has to use their troops or lose them, I think we're more likely to see a crusade by the squidfaced menace.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

LA R'leyh is pretty good except for the bit where their dominion is terrible. It kills pop and drives commanders insane. It's not close to made up for by their kickass national assassination spell (The caster goes into single combat with the target, and the target gets to suck up having his stats cut in half) and their chaff tend towards kind of terrible as well, since a number of them are dudes smart enough to rout but too stupid for armor.

LA Ermor is pretty decent except for the part where everyone kills you before you get to solve problems by throwing 2-4 thousand dudes at them, lose them all, and send in another wave next turn. There's a reason everyone fears Ermor, and it's not just that they transform everything they touch into Antarctica with fewer living humans.
Last edited by name_here on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I think the point that these two nations are the early "Threats to world peace" stands. :tongue:

I would like to ask though... are any of the nations included any good as Bless Rushers? (or rushers in general) I get the sense we all picked more slow burn nations.

Anyway, I'd like to get this show on the road soon so we can see starting positions and how screwed we are.
Last edited by Zinegata on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Zinegata wrote:I would like to ask though... are any of the nations included any good as Bless Rushers? (or rushers in general) I get the sense we all picked more slow burn nations.
Mictlan, Utgard. Gath a little bit. Atlantis can do it, their troops are great as long as the land is cold.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Atlantis is arguably a good bless rush nation. I've obviously only used them in single player, but Assaturts do 22 damage a swing with their glaives before blessing and can tear Utgard's giants apart.

LA isn't as rush-happy as the others, since indies are stronger, special magical dudes tend to be weaker, and random average infantry now wear armor that actually matters a bit.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Mictlan can still rush?

Utgard and Gath I get, as they seem to be the LA version of Nifleheim in some respects. Atlantis is so-so because of their Caelian armor. But Mictlan's unarmored dudes are still be viable in the LA?

This is a somewhat worrisome development. Oh well, hopefully the big map and having enough arrows to blot out the sun will work >_>
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Zinegata wrote:This is a somewhat worrisome development. Oh well, hopefully the big map and having enough arrows to blot out the sun will work >_>
You may not want to be giving me any ideas, fella.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Being unarmored doesn't mean that their burning jaguar claws are suddenly ineffective. They're also now an atlantian successor state, and have the same absurd damage glaive sacreds as atlantis, plus King of The Deep variants.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Zinegata wrote:Mictlan can still rush?
Very well, W9F9 jags still rape.

Mictlan is considered the strongest LA power if you don't have a runaway Ermor on your hands. Rlyeh would have been there if they hadn't been double nerfed. First their dom killed more pop, then they got upkeep on at least some of their freespawn.
Utgard and Gath I get, as they seem to be the LA version of Nifleheim in some respects. Atlantis is so-so because of their Caelian armor. But Mictlan's unarmored dudes are still be viable in the LA?
Gath is mostly because some of the sacreds are recruit anywhere, they aren't great, but they benefit from a bless. Utgard is more for the ready made thugs that a big bless gives you, similar to Niefelhiem (without Neifel Giants or Jarls).
Last edited by Akula on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Re Mictlan's unarmored dudes:

Well, at least longbows should at least kill lots of them before they can close in >_>.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:You may not want to be giving me any ideas, fella.
That's a late game problem! We'll cross that bridge when we get there! :tongue:

Still, taking a look at the Shrapnel thread on LA Mictlan, it seems that they can pull off a "Send in the next wave!" Bless rush that could make even Ermor's undead hordes seem small in comparison.

You may want to start thinking about what to do if Mictlan is in your neighborhood too :tongue:
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

No, that's why Ermor is a fucking kick in the teeth. They start with 15 D gem income in their cap.

They can get up burden of time in particular way, way, way earlier than is probably 'reasonable' given how hard it is to dispel it.. given that income. Remember, the second researcher in the other game hasn't researched dispel on turn 44.

it's a very annoying strategy. I'm carefully checking my troops for burden of time vulnerability.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

cthulhu wrote:No, that's why Ermor is a fucking kick in the teeth. They start with 15 D gem income in their cap.

They can get up burden of time in particular way, way, way earlier than is probably 'reasonable' given how hard it is to dispel it.. given that income. Remember, the second researcher in the other game hasn't researched dispel on turn 44.

it's a very annoying strategy. I'm carefully checking my troops for burden of time vulnerability.
I know about the gems. The thing is Ermor still needs to hit Thaum 5 before he can cast Burden of Time. And to make researchers he has to eat about 12 gems a turn.

If he finds a lot of indie researchers and has positive magic scales however, then yeah, we'd better kill him quick.

Besides, angel was referring to Utterdark ("blot out the sun"). Which is Alteration 9.

... Crap, we just gave away a quicker way of how Ermor can kill us all, didn't we?
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Ulm is my main pick.

Cheap, stealthy crossbows and be-fullplated barbarians will probably make a more viable early game than a couple squads of dryad hoplites and a handful of well armed minotaurs; the blood late game backed up by a liberal, chaff annihilating barrage of Iron Blizzards looks a hell of a lot more tempting than what Pangea's got available.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Zinegata wrote:
cthulhu wrote:No, that's why Ermor is a fucking kick in the teeth. They start with 15 D gem income in their cap.

I know about the gems. The thing is Ermor still needs to hit Thaum 5 before he can cast Burden of Time. And to make researchers he has to eat about 12 gems a turn.

If he finds a lot of indie researchers and has positive magic scales however, then yeah, we'd better kill him quick.

Besides, angel was referring to Utterdark ("blot out the sun"). Which is Alteration 9.

... Crap, we just gave away a quicker way of how Ermor can kill us all, didn't we?
Yeah, probably.
K
King

Post by K »

Well, Ermor can't make researchers out of his home province, but that doesn't mean he can't make them. I mean, he can go Magic 3 and recruit shamans or something well outside of his killing dominion. If he's willing to invest in Stone Idols, he could even make a province free of killing-dominion effects if he wanted. Heck, since his Dominion sucks so hard he could just have a research camp on the edge of his empire considering that people are going to be massing temples on his border.
Last edited by K on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I'm trying to set up so I can join the server, but I've run into a snag; I can't find my saved games anywhere in my dominions 3 directory. Anyone else know of this problem?

I'm running windows 7 64bit if that matters.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

There should be a savedgames directory in your Dominions 3 folder. Win 7's Explorer is kinda weird though.

Also, regarding Ermor... maybe we can agree that any research on Ermor's part will be considered an attempt to develop WMDs and hence grounds for a United Nations sanction? :D
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Calibron wrote:I'm trying to set up so I can join the server, but I've run into a snag; I can't find my saved games anywhere in my dominions 3 directory. Anyone else know of this problem?

I'm running windows 7 64bit if that matters.
Yup, go to the directory where you installed dominions 3 (probably c:\program files (x86)\dominions3) via clicking on the my computer icon (NOT USING EXPLORER)

look up at the top of the window near where the location information is. there will be a button labelled 'compatibility files'

Click that and the main window pane will change to show you a number of files - including your saved game directory.
Last edited by cthulhu on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.