Antipaladin Blues

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Antipaladin Blues

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

It's hard out here for an antipaladin.

The city of D is in trouble. The forces of 'good' want to keep the people down, by using an iron fist in a velvet glove- but they're going to draw back an iron stump if Kannon has anything to say about it.

The world needs an antihero. Here he is in demonic armor, joined by an unorthodox wizard, an alchemist trying to break the glass ceiling, and the "Last of the Red-hot Archliches" as they hack-and-slash their way through an irreverent postmodern bloodbath, dragged kicking and screaming from behind a GM's screen in your mom's basement.

What's up, yo. So, this book will be coming out later this year. I posted something very similar on GitP, but figured I would come here as well and get some feedback. If anyone who is literature/fantasy savvy would like to take a look at this ms. and give me their thoughts, comment and I will see about getting a pdf to you. I do namecheck the [Tomes] in the author's afterword, and while this work may not be as focused on the logistics, I do like the idea of being on 'the right side' when it comes to deconstructing. Anyhoo, read the afterword for the full story on how this book came to be, and feel free to hit me up with questions and comments. I might try to come up with a homebrew setting based on this trilogy.

AUTHOR’S AFTERWORD

This book nearly wasn’t.

In fact, it seems as close to cursed as a book can be. Antipaladin Blues has weathered delay, divorces, illness, bereavement… and even the looming specter of China Mieville’s awesomeness. I began it years ago on little yellow legal pads written in the mill control room at my job. When I mentioned the concept to a friend, they described its apparent similarity to Perdido Street Station, and I was crestfallen. I had already abandoned the sequel to MEL when I read a Dan Simmons novel and realized my intended plotline was almost identical. So it sat gathering dust while my world fell apart around me.

A few things changed. I was free of the abusive marriage and had time to write. I read Perdido Street Station and found that aside from a general urban anachronistic fantasy vibe, the two novels were very different. Then I found Evil Nerd Empire. Jeremy Needle liked what he read, and believed in both me and the book, enough to want there to be a trilogy. Now you’re holding the result in your hand.

I won’t condescend to explain the layers and nuances beneath the cursing and ultraviolence of this book, dear reader- I’ll simply point out that they are there. Pieces of art can have a transformative value for both the producer and consumer, and my meditations on the nature of good and evil have been quite the revelation to me. I hope that you will continue on this journey with me- along with Kannon and the rest of the crew.

No afterword would be complete without acknowledging those people who helped make it possible. I'd like to thank Ray and Brigitte, my tattoo sponsors, for making my forays into publishing as awesome as being a red hot guitar shredder. If you need any kind of ink, and are in Portland for any reason, look them up at Lucid Ink. You will not be disappointed. I'd also like to thank the amazing talent that went into this book: my editors Garrett Cook and Whitney Streed, and illustrators Nick Rose and Jesse Lindsay. Jesse's cover art now adorns my body permanently, and if you want a nerd shibboleth geekier than having the word 'antipaladin' tattooed on your body, you will not find one.

It came to be that after this book was long done, I ran into a webcomic called Order of the Stick, by Rich Burlew, which is not only amazing and hilarious, but shares a number of similarities with Antipaladin Blues. Coffee-loving powerful lich... check. Morally questionable protagonists... check. Anachronistic pop culture and gaming references... DOUBLE CHECK. These similarities are not only unintentional, but probably unavoidable. If you're deconstructing fantasy roleplay, you're either going to go with some 'blurring the fourth wall' pap or in our case, 'trope madness'. So to Mr. Burlew, and the fine folks on his forum, thanks for introducing me to a whole new world of dungeon shenanigans... like Frank Trollman's [Tomes]. Read, and be forever changed.

Last but not least, I'd like to thank my mother, who encouraged me through some dark times and tolerated a lot of listening to The Doors, and I'd mostly like to thank my wife Kayla. You are the love of my life, and I'm so glad you were here when I typed those last few words.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

So you wrote a book.

Or you're writing a book and already wrote the afterward?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

No, book's done. Illustrations are as far as they're going to get, my publisher has some legal wrangles to finish up, and then we're off to the races.

This book has been such a pain. I got a tattoo sponsorship, and was interviewed on camera while getting the tattoo of the book cover. Then the book was delayed again... and in the interim, I got another book published with a different publisher. Slightly embarassing.

I'll be doing some short videos of the interview... should be funny. Me getting asked about literary aspects of D&D, and perpetually losing my train of thought because I'm being stabbed by fucking needles.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Minor point of order -

They're not Frank Trollman's Tomes. They are Frank and K's Tomes. It was a collaboration between them that produced that series, and if you're going to credit it you should probably do it right.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Not that you technically need to, according to Frank.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

True, neither of them actually seem to care about being given credit for the stuff, it just seems odd to go out of your way to mention it and then do credit wrong.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Sounds like it could be a good story. Look forward to seeing it. Will you make an update when it is released?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

You know, I thought about that credit issue, and somehow it just seemed awkward to put 'Frank Trollman and K's'. But I'll find another way to word it.

Yeah, I'll definitely update when it's out. Did anybody want to have a read of the pdf? Just do me an Amazon review later. ;)
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Sure.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Yes please!
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Gimme your email and you instantly become part of the killer elite.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sure, I could use a new book to read and it sounds interesting.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

When this gets released, will it be likely to show in regular book stores, or would one need to look someplace more niche? It sounds interesting, but I haven't heard enough about it to know whether I'd special-order it through a local bookstore or not.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Well, it will be on amazon for sure, though I will try to place it in some local stores. My publisher is in LA, so I'm sure there will be some there, and I am in PDX so I will try to at least get it in Dark Horse Comics' store.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I'm always down for some irreverent postmodernist bullshit. I'll give the PDF a read.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

I do like the pdf.

Here's to hoping it shows up somewhere in Washington.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, what I've read so far is interesting. It takes a bit to get used to the tone of the narrator, but overall, I like it.

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Thanks everybody. I'm getting very encouraged. I'm going to buckle down and put out some videos this week... me getting interviewed about the book while I'm getting a tattoo of the cover. stabstabstabstab
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

hahaha