How to start a webcomic

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

How to start a webcomic

Post by Prak »

So, I've been thinking, as I read more fairly well known webcomics that start with terrible art, "Hell, I can do at least slightly better than that... I just need to get used to putting out pages on a regular basis and see what develops"

so, I'm going to try it. I'm going to put myself on some kind of schedule, and start doing a comic.

I've decided on the base storyline, I'm going to be really self-indulgent and just do it based around the goblin I'm playing. It also helps that I know that character and don't have to build one(personality wise, I mean), as such.

my question is... how the hell do you start a webcomic? How do you decide how many panels, what kind of layout, what the pacing should be, shit like that?

Right now, I'm kind of thinking of doing a more traditional comic layout, given that this will be more story oriented and less gag a day, and I'm outlining page one, but that's as far as I've gotten...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

awesome. two hours, and I've got my first pair of pages outlined and laid out.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

The key is regular updates :)
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

1. Just do it. Draw and upload and post news/rants

2. Regular updates. At least weekly is good, but stick to whatever schedule works for you.

3. Aggressively self-promote. The best strip in the world is useless if nobody sees it.

4. Remember that you don't even need Order of the Stick level art to be successful. XKCD and Perry Bible Fellowship both are widely read with their
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

thanks guys. I kinda wanted to get on a daily schedule, but I'm thinking of taking it a bit slower at first given that it's not a gag a day thing. Maybe MWF at most frequent.

I was thinking of just uploading to a blog or something while it's still an experiment, but is there a site where I can just register an account and put up a webcomic (like keenspace was, as far I understood)? and if so, where's a good site?

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Prak_Anima wrote:thanks guys. I kinda wanted to get on a daily schedule, but I'm thinking of taking it a bit slower at first given that it's not a gag a day thing. Maybe MWF at most frequent.
The important thing is not to update every day, but to update on whatever days you say you will rain hail and shine. That drives traffic to your website and builds the community.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Do comics in advance of their scheduling date. Depending on how often you update, you want to write comics up to a month in advance and try to keep your reserve at that level.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

Have a good story, engaging characters, consistently try to improve your art.

And be disciplined.

Good luck.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

http://www.drunkduck.com/

I have a friend who hosts a comic on there. They provide free hosting and a friendly community.

Shameless plug! http://www.drunkduck.com/Harkovast/index.php?p=473700
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire