The End of 4e D&D.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Don't get me wrong - I'm like 95% sure we're going to see nothing but Essentials content on DDi going forward. They're going to lube up the fans and then try and slip it in there without telling them they're doing ana~~~a new edition.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I *love* the quotes from 2003 about how 3.5 doesn't really change 3.0, and everything is trivially backward compatible....and how they're the same thing being said about Essentials.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

If people believe that, it lessens the blow.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

3.0E wasn't that backwards incompatible with 3.5E, at least at first. The biggest negative-backwards changes in the rules itself was the stealth-overhaul of the Monster Manual 2 and the retarded-ass weapon sizing system. A few (prestige) classes had suddenly nonsensical or nonfunctional class features, like the Shaman, it really wasn't all that bad.

Where 3.5E started stepping on the toes of 3E was the fact that they decided to re-release old content with across-the-board nerfs. That's when it stopped being backwards-compatible. If 3.5E just updated the core rulesbooks and released completely new content no one would've notice. Funny thing, that. When you talk about the best books that came out of 3.5E, all of those books were ones that stayed as far away from copying or trying to enhance old material as much as possible. The ones that tried to stealth-nerf or ripoff older books were the ones that really, really sucked.

D&D Essentials however is immediately bounding out of the gate re-releasing old material. There's no way that's going to be backwards compatible. For fuck's sake, the power schedules are completely different; D&D Essentials characters don't have dailies anymore.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

I wonder if they'll give pdf's another try for the Essentials line? Or if they have any plan at all to deal with all the massive errata making actual books obsolete resentment they've been getting lately.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

You know the crowning moment of ENW patheticness? A mod telling off people in the thread, and locking it.

Even if he is telling off trolls, Christ, keep your cool or do it with no comment. Locking a thread for the last word just makes you look like a tool.

-edit-

Unless fbmf locked this thread here and called me a dick. That'd be kind of awesome.
Last edited by A Man In Black on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

sake wrote:I wonder if they'll give pdf's another try for the Essentials line? Or if they have any plan at all to deal with all the massive errata making actual books obsolete resentment they've been getting lately.
Links, plz.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Oh hell no, let's not start that 'post stupid WotC threads' thread again. Just look at the first page of their general decussion forum. Heck the stupid rage thread I made questioning the validity of using errata to make 'because one of the Devs still masturbates to old 2E PHBs' changes like the recent Magic Missile overhaul has already hit 20 pages and has had multiple mod edits already.

People are getting really pissed that the PHB has received so many changes after three years that the hard copy is no longer relevant AND they're pissed that latest cool character option book of the month they just bought has everything they bought it for castrated within a month of release.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Could you PM me the threads, then?

Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Or just wander over to the official forums...even the 4vengers are hard pressed to bully people into not pointing out just how horrid the 4e problems are now.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
areola
1st Level

Post by areola »

Urgh, the whole game is a complete mess. Wizards should just publish 4.5 and get over with it. It's all about the money anyway..
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

sake wrote:Oh hell no, let's not start that 'post stupid WotC threads' thread again. Just look at the first page of their general decussion forum. Heck the stupid rage thread I made questioning the validity of using errata to make 'because one of the Devs still masturbates to old 2E PHBs' changes like the recent Magic Missile overhaul has already hit 20 pages and has had multiple mod edits already.
Yeah seriously. I look at 4E errata solely for the purpose of laughing at the fact that they're just changing shit for the sake of change now. They even have errata to the May errata in the July errata.

Yeah 4E is a ridiculously stupid mess right now.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Well, once it became obvious that they didn't run the numbers at all on original 4e and that nobody was playtesting the RAW, did anybody expect better? I mean, they've been firing a lot of the people responsible (though apprently not Mearls), but there's no indication that they've got competent people waiting in the wings. In the short term, there's nowhere to go but down.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:Well, once it became obvious that they didn't run the numbers at all on original 4e and that nobody was playtesting the RAW, did anybody expect better? I mean, they've been firing a lot of the people responsible (though apprently not Mearls), but there's no indication that they've got competent people waiting in the wings. In the short term, there's nowhere to go but down.
Although I don't think you meant to imply it, nobody is getting fired because 4e was shitty. People are getting fired because WOTC is essentially a revolving door that refuses to keep you employed for more than about 7 years.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Or more likely Hasbro is the revolving door. When a bunch of people left a couple years after 3e, it was mostly Hasbro's decision, IIRC.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Their tears sustain me. Delicious, life-giving tears.

EDIT: Ooh, WotC Shill Squad out in full force. This is going to be interesting reading.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So they posted up one of their first classes. It's 4.5.

I don't know why the WotC shill squad shits acid blood every time someone points out that this is really obviously a change of magnitude at least as extensive as 3.5 was to 3e. It makes them look retarded.

-Username17
RandomCasualty2
Prince

FrankTrollman wrote: I don't know why the WotC shill squad shits acid blood every time someone points out that this is really obviously a change of magnitude at least as extensive as 3.5 was to 3e. It makes them look retarded.
Yeah, especially given that each class is getting its own table for power progression for some reason.

Really, I'm disappointed that they didn't change more. For a system that's supposed to be streamlined and simplified, Essentials doesn't really feel like they've cut anything out. The powers look exactly the same, ability scores apparently still exist, feats still exist, I can't see any measurable change to the skill system. I totally don't see the point to D&DE, it could just have been the PHB4 with remakes of the base classes.

All D&DE is 4.5, it's not even simplified. Really, it looks more complex since each class now needs a table for ability progression.

Also, note that the cleric gets 2 encounter powers, 3 daily powers and 3 utility powers over 10 levels. 2 encounter powers... over 10 levels. Wow. What a bunch of fail that's going to be.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I thought they were getting rid of daily powers, but the sample cleric in the linked article still has them. Did they change their mind?
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Archmage wrote:I thought they were getting rid of daily powers, but the sample cleric in the linked article still has them. Did they change their mind?
They also indicated that classes don't necessarily work the same way as each other any more. So it's quite possible that the Essentials Fighter (say) doesn't have any daily powers. Who knows?
Last edited by hogarth on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

FrankTrollman wrote:So they posted up one of their first classes. It's 4.5.

I don't know why the WotC shill squad shits acid blood every time someone points out that this is really obviously a change of magnitude at least as extensive as 3.5 was to 3e. It makes them look retarded.

-Username17
T_D argued that "hundreds of thousands" is more than "a million."
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Psychic Robot wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:So they posted up one of their first classes. It's 4.5.

-Username17
T_D argued that "hundreds of thousands" is more than "a million."
That's hilariously unsurprising. Link/context?
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

The fail begins here. Most of the way down. It was when the WotC boards were down and T_D made his way over to TGD's corner of the Internet. We had been discussing Dark Sun and how 4e is unsuitable for such a system, and the conversation got sidetracked (as it is liable to do). Well, Frank pointed out that WotC said, under oath, that WotC's "total sales of Core Books were in the hundreds of thousands."

And, as far as shills go, T_D is damn good at his job. He decided that, "[d]epending on the phrasing, that could well mean more than a million."

Things went downhill from that point onward. Eventually, he left.
Ant wrote:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Archmage wrote:I thought they were getting rid of daily powers, but the sample cleric in the linked article still has them. Did they change their mind?
The statement was that some classes would do away with Daily powers. Presumably Fighters won't have dailies and casters will.
GiaH wrote:That's hilariously unsurprising. Link/context?
The context was a discussion about the relative success or failure of 4e from a financial standpoint. WotC had said in court documents hat they had sold "hundreds of thousands" of books. Titanium Dragon apparently felt that he simply had too much credibility and argued that could have been chosen because it "sounded like more" than "millions."

-Username17
RandomCasualty2
Prince

hogarth wrote: They also indicated that classes don't necessarily work the same way as each other any more. So it's quite possible that the Essentials Fighter (say) doesn't have any daily powers. Who knows?
Yeah my guess is they're going back to the idea that some classes have more encounter powers and some are more daily based. Perhaps the fighter types are going to be all ToB style with just encounter powers.