BAR-3: Setting: Species Breakdown Issues

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

BAR-3: Setting: Species Breakdown Issues

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, so for this game proposal project that I'm working on, and farming out the concept art and 3D initial work to my classmates in my animation program is coming along.

However, I need to have a clearer breakdown of how I should break down the species.

Like, I want say, everyone who is of 'viking' descent to be obviously so. They're giantlings (Jotunbrud), Black-Blue Skinned Dorfs with golden beards (Dveurges), tall silver-haired Elfs (Alfar), and a mix of Nordic looking Yahoos (humans).

However, you might see such people everywhere. France, Scotland, England, Byzantium, Russia, even in the new world.

Is this reasonable?

I think that what I might do is something along the following lines, write up the Origin Points for a species, and then write up a list of Migration Points for them.

So, the Myrmidon are Albanians/Macedonians, but are known as far west as the new world, and live as people all across the former regions conquered by the Great Swarm of Magnus Alexandra and her Myrmidon vanguard.

Of course, this might lead to some odd things. The Buddha that people sculpt has Myrmida antenna, representing Buddha's "extra senses" instead of the typical "extra brain" we know on Earth (the 'extra brain' shown in many sculptures of Buddha is displaying a Greek hair fashion of top knots; Alexander the Great brought that fashion to India, but they didn't realize it was a hair-do, they thought he had an extra brain).

I'm just not sure if this is a good idea, or a bad one, in terms of distributing species across a planet. I guess I'll have to do some trying and find out.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

My biggest concerns is that I'm going to have some places completely full of stuff, and others sort of empty. Removing things, and adding them in later is fine, but just 'adding' things in later, can seem forced, and I'd rather have a plan as to what sort of creatures will live where.

I'm thinking that above all else, the Kitchen Sink base races will be everywhere. Each with their own origin story, and Yahoos (Humans they call themselves) being the descendants of a Doppleganger Empire that over-extended itself, and then went underground, or something.

Also... is having slang names (with the species identifying name) a good idea? I like the idea of there being both people who call an other species Hobs, Gobs, Elves, or Dorfs, and people able to call them Hobgoblins, Gobwins, Alfar or Dveurges. Being able to put up a slang/formal barrier on a species might be interesting, but it might just be me.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.