Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It is weird to say this since this was the first album I owned for this particular band, but Dark Passion Play is horrible. I'm not hating on Annette Olzon like all the other Nightwish fans, I like her singing voice. The lyrics of almost every song has so much narm it's baffling that it hasn't collapsed into a singularity.

I started listening to older nightwish stuff recently. It's a lot better. I wonder how Tarja Turunen's solo albums are?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Now I have a word for Bruckheimer movies. Although, he usually makes me annoyed than funny. Or Clint Eastwood movies...

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I would say that Dark Passion Play has like 4 good songs on it. The rest... mysteriously delves into celtic folk music. They are Finnish and... not Celts. I don't understand why they would do that.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

FrankTrollman wrote:I would say that Dark Passion Play has like 4 good songs on it. The rest... mysteriously delves into celtic folk music. They are Finnish and... not Celts. I don't understand why they would do that.

-Username17
Ensiferum are Finns and they have a couple of songs about cowboys. I don't understand that either...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Anyone that reads Dance in the Vampire Loli Bund, don't watch the anime. (Probably too late, but for anyone that gets into it, the anime is a trainwreck of bad pacing.)
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002291

This is where I stopped reading.

All this time I was hoping that the author would get a hint and understand that the Captchalogue mechanic was an awful, boring, confusing piece of shit that nobody wants to bother with. This proves that not only is he incapable of admiting his own failures but decides to put the blame on his fans instead.

Do you honestly think that people are so stupid that they can't figure it out? No. The reason it is such a failure is because so completely arbtrary and so boring compared to simply advancing the adventure that there is not a single person out there who gives a shit.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

While defining Wii Fit as a "piece of entertainment" is somewhat shaky, and I wouldn't really say it lost me, I thought this was kinda funny:

So I've been getting into shape so that I could pass the fitness test for a job I want. In doing so, I've put on about 15 pounds of muscle (plus the difference of whatever fat I burned in the process). Now, I've had Wii Fit for about 2 or so years, and in that time, I've done the body test, which weighs you and rates your BMI(it's sort of a weight/height ratio thing), probably 150 times, each time I was listed as having a "normal" body weight. Then, after building up my muscles, I turn it on to see how much I weighed. I'm in the best shape I've been in in a decade or more, but the first time ever, Wii Fit thinks I'm overweight.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

This is why BMI is not of great use.

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

According to the most recent body composition analysis I've had done by an actual doctor; the weight of my bones, muscles, and organs alone is about 230 pounds. According to the BMI chart, a man my height shouldn't weigh more than 170 pounds. So basically, I should have to cut a limb off to be healthy. (Note that this last semester has been hell for my physical well-being and I do weigh considerably more than 230. Something about waking up at 6am to be in class, working after class until 11 at night and not being home ever to cook my own food and instead eating fast food and not exercising seems to have really not agreed with me. It's taken 2 weeks of training to even feel human again.)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, you can have fat in your organs. That's horribly unhealthy.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa wrote:Well, you can have fat in your organs. That's horribly unhealthy.

-Crissa
I would assume that the Count's doctor is aware of that. I hope that the Count's doctor is aware of that.

Also, you know what's less healthy than having fat all over your organs?
Not having fat on your organs.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Count Arioch the 28th
King

You gotta keep in mind that even after two semesters of about the poorest lifestyle I can think of that doesn't involve become a heroine addict or catching leprosy, I'm still benching just over 200 pounds. That's... horrible by the standards I am used to, but I still remain freakishly strong considering the circumstances. And the last two weeks of sleeping enough, eating well, and working out has really helped every aspect of my life.

The test involved some sort of electrical signal. I am honestly not sure how accurate that is. Instrumental inaccuracies are always a concern. Also, at my very lowest weight as an adult I was 210, and was ripped and had a six-pack. It might be that my ideal weight is probably around 210 (which means I have a ways to go, but I feel I can do it at this point in my life), but still be considered overweight by the BMI standpoint.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'm sure Count is aware of that. But I was just adding it to the list of bad things the BMI and the test his doctor gave him doesn't directly measure.

-Crissa
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:The test involved some sort of electrical signal. I am honestly not sure how accurate that is. Instrumental inaccuracies are always a concern. Also, at my very lowest weight as an adult I was 210, and was ripped and had a six-pack. It might be that my ideal weight is probably around 210 (which means I have a ways to go, but I feel I can do it at this point in my life), but still be considered overweight by the BMI standpoint.
Oh. That test. It's the second most accurate that exists (according to some sports medicine guys/fitness test administrators I was working with a couple weeks ago). Underwater weighing is the only better one AFIAK.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I hate the fact that the SciFi channel went through a revamp and changed its name to SyFy to make it seem like more people might want to watch it. I'm sorry... But an alternate spelling isn't going to get me any more interested in a channel that plays Mega Piranha and Mongolian Death Worm.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Maj wrote:I hate the fact that the SciFi channel went through a revamp and changed its name to SyFy to make it seem like more people might want to watch it. I'm sorry... But an alternate spelling isn't going to get me any more interested in a channel that plays Mega Piranha and Mongolian Death Worm.

I don't actually get American TV stations, I watch TV shows via the intertubes.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Like I said, I stopped watching siffy.

When they decided that it was 'too limiting' to have the 'I am Sci Fi' ad campaign and name themselves after a venereal disease, and then move wrestling to their most highly rated prime-time spots...

Yeah, not much content I'm going to care about there. And I used to watch them when they only played 60s-80s TV shows up to last year when they changed their name.

No more x-x

Cartoon Network is the next one to undergo a strange change, much like Nickelodeon. Deciding animation is too expensive, they're making live action kids shows. ...Mostly the ones that Nickelodeon wouldn't air because they were attracting too many ten year olds.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

found a webcomic set in Sigil, PlanescapeP:Metamorphosis, and started reading it.

around page 14, the low quality of the art finally bugged me all to hell, maybe it's the fact that it finally has more than one human-ish face in it (the main protagonist seems to be a lizard-folk, so face quality had more leniency), but when you've got a table full of elves, humans, and whatever else that are pretty damned human looking... ugh.

Even at my worst, most angular, Jhonen Vasquez and Anime inspired times, I'm not sure my characters were ever that bad, certainly not since elementary school, anyway...

does anyone here know if the art ever really gets better, or the plot gets good enough to work in spite of the poor art?
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

The art does get better, but I can't say there's any actual plot there yet. The party assembles despite having no reason to hang out with each other, they go to the Shattered Temple and find the previous lizardfolk (the author claims it's his homebrew race, even though I can't find any purpose for that, there's no noticeable difference) who is now an Athar (the author seems to think Athar are Discworld-style atheists, denying the existence of gods despite evidence to the contrary).

Recently Anarchists got involved and it looked like some plot will finally arrive. So now it's time for an interlude with a Doctor Who ripoff exploring the Astral Plane!

Summary: not much happens, what does happen happens for no reason.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Snopes, of all websites, lost me recently.

http://www.snopes.com/risque/kinky/panties.asp

Confirming the myth that people sell soiled schoolgirl panties in vending machines.

Now, I hate lolicon as much as everyone, but goddammit snopes I don't want to hear Western cultural pontification and grandstanding slathered out of nowhere. That weird diversion was about as welcome as dumping a can of cafeteria ketchup onto my filet mignon.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

What, the two or three pop-up ads weren't reason enough to be annoyed?

-Crissa
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I also think that it's a very bad idea to keep reading a webcomic just because you hope that something horrible will happen to the characters.

But that's the situation I'm in with Shortpacked right now. Don't get me wrong, back when I used to unironically enjoy the strip Mike was by far my most hated character. But right now my only hope for anything remotely approaching satisfaction is that Mike is stringing Amber along and is going to stick the knife at the most vulnerable moment, ever. Hopefully the psyche-shattering moment of truth will end up with both of them emotionally and physically broken.

And as a bonus Robin and Leslie break up after the latter realizes that the former just doesn't care for her that much. And Ethan gets ditched again for his fanboyishness. My ultimate dream would be that all of them become the next Jean Teasdale, trapped in a dead-end job while their dreams and health slowly decay for our sadistic amusement.

Funky Winkerbean is one of my favorite newspaper comics, incidentally.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Lago, you realize you sound like the lady down at the laundromat talking about her soap opera?

-Crissa
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Crissa, I used to be an enormous professional wrestling fan, so this is actually on the down-low for me.

Even so, I think my hate for the characters of Shortpacked (not the author or comic itself, just the characters) is a bit excessive. While I really fucking hate Hulk Hogan, I don't actually want them to do an angle where he ends up weeping in public at his patheticness while people throw things at him. I actually do want to see this happen to Mike.

Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I feel like I don't want to ask what the author possibly wrote to make you hate the character so much.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.