SR traditions

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

SR traditions

Post by mean_liar »

What're the guidelines on what constitutes a tradition in SR? I've been operating under the impression that anything reasonably justifiable (ie, internally consistent) should be kosher.

The tradition I'm trying to fly is...

Magician (Apotheotic Theurgy)

Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Plant
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Task
Drain: Willpower + Logic

Through rituals and secrets signs Creep summons his own personas, spirits that "could" have been, reflections of himself as much as projections of his mental state, self-esteem, and pre-held beliefs. Sometimes they're happy to help, other times upset at the disturbance (the Guidance spirits especially seem to resent Creep's lifestyle). Ultimately, the spirits seem to recognize that they're part of the same godhead as Creep and are willing to assist and help out but that doesn't mean that they won't trade barbs and insults with each other - after all, they're still Creep.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: SR traditions

Post by Username17 »

mean_liar wrote:What're the guidelines on what constitutes a tradition in SR? I've been operating under the impression that anything reasonably justifiable (ie, internally consistent) should be kosher.
Pretty much, yeah. Your tradition has five kinds of spirits that are each associated with one kind of sorcery. Your tradition has a drain attribute. Your tradition is either possession or materialization. Also, your tradition has a "look and feel" that determines how its practitioners, materials, and spirits appear and behave. Within those boundaries, go nuts.
Magician (Apotheotic Theurgy)

Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Plant
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Task
Drain: Willpower + Logic
That's certainly legal. Should mention whether it's a materialization or possession tradition. It's not super clear from the description. Are the Personas transforming you like in Persona 3 or are they flying around chopping things up like in Forbidden Planet?

-Username17
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Materialization. I need the Task spirits to do odd jobs so that the character doesn't need to do much to maintain his lifestyle in downtimes. :p
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Technically, no spirit CAN actually materialize.
All spirits start out on the astral plane.
Materialization is a physical power.
On the astral plane, only mana based powers work, not physical ones.
So no using materialization to go from astral to meat space.
Next best would be manifesting i guess. But then you are still not really materialized and can not use any physical powers.
And you can not cast spells on exclusively physical targets while not being materialized. So no, you can not have your spirit cast stun ball on the group of completely mundane trolls over there.
Technically. but of course, people tend to smile and overlook this fiasco for the sake of being able to play ^^

Also, everything goes. You can have a magician basing his personal tradition on his favourite childhood saturday/sunday morning cartoon show . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Re: SR traditions

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

mean_liar wrote:What're the guidelines on what constitutes a tradition in SR? I've been operating under the impression that anything reasonably justifiable (ie, internally consistent) should be kosher.
[insert snarky comment about Christian Theurgy]
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Those odd jobs are actual odd jobs, Stahlseele. Like, fixing cars and crap with Task spirits.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Other than Hermetic and Shamanistic, are any other traditions particularly more popular than the others? (Or perhaps simply easy for beginner players to use for some sort of reason?)
Last edited by Lokathor on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Chaos mage is a tradition with a good name which gets some attention (well at least 1 player I've seen) because of it, and Vodoun is the normal possession tradition.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Lokathor wrote:Other than Hermetic and Shamanistic, are any other traditions particularly more popular than the others?
Bug cultists, but they're villains.
Stahlseele wrote:Technically, no spirit CAN actually materialize.
Aren't they materialized when they're summoned? It would still be fucked up, but at least then general spirit usage is legit.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No, spirits that are summonned initially appear on the astral.
Spirits don't like being in meat space either. Which is why having them materialize constitutes of a service by using a power too i guess.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lokathor wrote:Other than Hermetic and Shamanistic, are any other traditions particularly more popular than the others? (Or perhaps simply easy for beginner players to use for some sort of reason?)
Every tradition that got a writeup at some point in some magic book in the past is more popular than the ones on the big list or the ones you just make up. So you get more Voudoun, Norse, Tir Path of the Wheel, and Wuxing than you get other traditions. Yes, seriously. Path of the Wheel. Even though there are only 30,000 practitioners worldwide, and most of them live on a tiny island that has no natural resources and no one cares about. Because they got extensive writeups in several older books and people gravitate to that.

-Username17
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Stahlseele wrote:No, spirits that are summonned initially appear on the astral.
Spirits don't like being in meat space either. Which is why having them materialize constitutes of a service by using a power too i guess.
THEN YOU WHIP THEM LIKE SLAVES. Or at least treat them as tireless non-unionized skilled labor with every trade-based skill in the universe, one at a time.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The question of how Materialization, Astral Projection, and Possession work is a complex one. Because yes, they are powers that push across the borders between the world, so they violate the normal rules.

Materialization is a Physical Power that takes place on the Physical Plane but could not logically have been used until it had been used. That's pretty weird. But since the power is not interruptible, it's not actually a problem.

This is also why I was against having Possession be usable on unprepared vessels - because if you use it and it fails, you logically could not have used it at all. And that actually is a paradox.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I've always wondered.

Since it's possible to use magic at all in the Shadowrun universe and magic has a technology/supernatural dichotomy, does this inherently put a cap on the limits of universal transhumanism?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I've always wondered.

Since it's possible to use magic at all in the Shadowrun universe and magic has a technology/supernatural dichotomy, does this inherently put a cap on the limits of universal transhumanism?
Well, Cybermancy exists, so I'm going to say "no."

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

mean_liar wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:No, spirits that are summonned initially appear on the astral.
THEN YOU WHIP THEM LIKE SLAVES. Or at least treat them as tireless non-unionized skilled labor with every trade-based skill in the universe, one at a time.
No, you place a fire-elemental under a pot with a water elemental inside.
presto, free energy. Or have the water elemental start running on a water mill. Or have an air elemental do laps in/around/through a windmill . .
Lago PARANOIA wrote:I've always wondered.

I think they put a lid on how much bonus you can get with a spirit going into your body some days/weeks ago, but i am not sure about that right now . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: