So, Mutant Chronicles.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Red Archon
Journeyman

So, Mutant Chronicles.

Post by Red Archon »

2009 came and went and so COG Games' license to produce the third edition to the game got screwed. Hence, we're stuck with the second edition, which is quite simply a "1.5" edition, fixing a few bugs, slightly fucking up chargen (you can't die at character creation anymore! DAMMIT!) and introducing a lot of new and more powerful stuff, for example character "classes" from corporate and Dark Legion sides.

I did a little review of it about a year ago and experimented with it slightly. If you'd like, I could illuminate the mechanics and fluff, as well as some plusses and minuses in the near future. Before I do that, though, I'd like to know if anyone else here has played it and/or has some opinions on the whole thing. I know a lot of you guys are American, so this fairly underground, Swedish game is probably new to you, but I bet someone has seen and tried it.

Anyway, opinions?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Mutant Chronicles isn't that obscure honestly. Although I think their fantasy property Chronopia would make a much better game. It's basically a toned down, and thus mostly cleaned up Warhammer pastiche with an attached RPG that is clunky as heck, but perhaps not as clunky as its obvious competitor: Dark Heresy.

-Username17
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

I personally think that MC2 is a fairly decent game to play, even though the chargen is at least a little peculiar, since stat rolling basically happens by following the Backround loop ad infinitum. I suppose that even more than in D&D3.x, the starting "level" is agreement-based. The varied backround information and a big bunch of random chance makes it fun to just roll characters. I seem to recall that combat itself is resolved fairly neatly, though it suffers from the fact that you can make a vehicle driver, but the mechanics for vehicular combat are much more teaparty than the rest of the game. The magic side is once again fairly overpowering, but at least not quite as obviously. Since basically every spellcaster knows all the spells, it's only a matter of degree that's measured. Without distinct class levels or even a simple CR system, a game is harder to maintain. For a player, the game is fun and largely a game of chance, but for a DM, it's difficult to evaluate the required level of difficulty. Still, a fairly good game, in my opinion, and one where it's very hard to completely wreck your character at creation (I'd like to point out again, that you can no longer die at chargen), or to make them downright uber.

Dark Heresy seemed more rigid from the glimpse of it, whereas MC2 is more organic and elastic.