Moderator: Moderators

Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Scrooge Defended

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Although crotchety and complaining, Scrooge isn't exactly a bad guy. He gives his employee a day off when he asks, and helps his relatives through school, and otherwise doesn't get involved in any vice around him. He may not donate or be pleasant, but we usually say those things are not signs of goodliness or not.

But then again, in that defense, it's quite proven that they have no idea what taxes paid for in his age; no idea of the power dichotomy between employer and employee; and I must point out these are the same guys who are perfectly happy to let theocrats run around ruining things.

So they really truly sound like a parody, don't they?

-Crissa
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I was reading that, and was like "wow, this sounds ridiculous." Then I read "Advancing the scholarship of liberty in the tradition of the Austrian school."

I mean, I could go on about how this is basically them fellating the idea of the rich, miserly boss-but seriously. I don't need to, it's up in the title.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Scrooge was just an introvert who lost his best friend and only had his job left to console him. He knew right was paying what you owe on time, and wrong was not paying what you owe on time.

Scrooge was the truest American that ever worked for Goldman Sachs, CitiGroup, or any other housing finance lender in 2008.
Last edited by shadzar on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ah, the Mises institute. Is there any villainy they won´t support?

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'm sure there is, I just don't know what.

-Crissa
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

Crissa wrote:I'm sure there is, I just don't know what.

-Crissa
I'm pretty sure they'd be against the creation of man-ape hybrids.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

They were against government interference in the form of beating Celera to completing the genome, so I think that actually the Mises Institute would be all over letting privately owned corporations make themselves a laborforce of servile man-apes.

But really, I think the best refutation of their entire theory is that they refuse to allow it to be tested. The whole point of Austrian Economics is that it does not believe in testable or falsifiable hypotheses. It claims instead that it can derive all precepts from "axioms" of human behavior and naval gazing. In short: they have a series of premises that they refuse to question or test, and all their conclusions are derived from those. It's not science: it's a religion. A pretty hateful religion actually.

-Username17
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

FrankTrollman wrote:They were against government interference in the form of beating Celera to completing the genome, so I think that actually the Mises Institute would be all over letting privately owned corporations make themselves a laborforce of servile man-apes.

But really, I think the best refutation of their entire theory is that they refuse to allow it to be tested. The whole point of Austrian Economics is that it does not believe in testable or falsifiable hypotheses. It claims instead that it can derive all precepts from "axioms" of human behavior and naval gazing. In short: they have a series of premises that they refuse to question or test, and all their conclusions are derived from those. It's not science: it's a religion. A pretty hateful religion actually.

-Username17
This. My visiting Microeconomics tutor last year was a devotee of the Austrian school, and he was pretty hilarious.

In a sad way.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Gnosticism Is A Hoot wrote:This. My visiting Microeconomics tutor last year was a devotee of the Austrian school, and he was pretty hilarious.

In a sad way.
Eww, I hope you weren't paying much for that.