Introducing kids to DnD

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Introducing kids to DnD

Post by AndreiChekov »

So, last week I began introducing my two nephews (8 yrs and 10), and my niece (11 yrs) to 3.5, using Tome stuff allover the place.
So far they've done a simple find the poison killing the deer quest. (they just wandered around until they stumbled upon the local watering hole next to a gnome mine, and then proceeded to slaughter the gnomes with the help of a local tribe of kobolds)
Does anyone here have a lot of experience with introducing kids to this sort of game, and have any advice?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

We have two or three threads about this very topic from the winter and spring, actually.

WotC put out a supplement for kids.
There's a system Jigo made a homebrew supplement for ( rpgKids? ) It's over in IMOI... Castle on the edge of the moon I think. (CotEoM)

There is also Sidekick Quest. I have the test package. very simple and enjoyable.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Are they playing evil characters? Why did they "slaughter" gnomes over poisoned deer?
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Yeah, that adventure does seem twisted. How did the kids react to that?
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Gnomes are evil.
Everyone knows that.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

codeGlaze wrote:We have two or three threads about this very topic from the winter and spring, actually.

WotC put out a supplement for kids.
There's a system Jigo made a homebrew supplement for ( rpgKids? ) It's over in IMOI... Castle on the edge of the moon I think. (CotEoM)

There is also Sidekick Quest. I have the test package. very simple and enjoyable.
Thanks! I'll look into those.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

As I read it, the gnomes were polluting the water with runoff from their mine... so the PCs were basically acting in defense of the environment, ha!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I just hope the leader of said mining gnomes is Gina Rinehart.

Anyway, I believe Maj also created a basic roleplaying system (using a die with 1 red side, 2 yellow sides and 3 green sides. Good abilities/Easy tasks require rolling green to succeed, medium requires rolling yellow, hard/untrained requires rolling red). You could ask her for further details.

There's also just stuff like actual Magical Tea Party - "roleplaying is like playing pretend, with rules". So take the rules out of it and you still have "playing pretend".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

rpgKids : http://newbiedm.com/rpgkids/
Jigo's module : http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53849& ... c&start=25

Apparently he rebooted it while I was on hiatus.

d20 kids game : https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.asp ... terslayers
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

AndreiChekov wrote:Gnomes are evil.
Everyone knows that.
To quote:
4e Gnome wrote:"I'm a monster! Rarr!
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Prak_Anima wrote:
AndreiChekov wrote:Gnomes are evil.
Everyone knows that.
To quote:
4e Gnome wrote:"I'm a monster! Rarr!
Hahahaha xD
My fiance and I love that scene.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think those animations may be the only good things to come out of 4e.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Schleiermacher wrote:As I read it, the gnomes were polluting the water with runoff from their mine... so the PCs were basically acting in defense of the environment, ha!
There are two druids in the party so...
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Koumei wrote:I just hope the leader of said mining gnomes is Gina Rinehart.

Anyway, I believe Maj also created a basic roleplaying system (using a die with 1 red side, 2 yellow sides and 3 green sides. Good abilities/Easy tasks require rolling green to succeed, medium requires rolling yellow, hard/untrained requires rolling red). You could ask her for further details.

There's also just stuff like actual Magical Tea Party - "roleplaying is like playing pretend, with rules". So take the rules out of it and you still have "playing pretend".
Well, she does look like a gnome. And I was in a need of a super villain for the whole thing. So that's who it is then. thanks :D

That seems a little bit too simple for them. They are all capable of the mathematics of D&D, I was thinking more along the lines of ability simplicity. Like trying to get them to remember that they have things like your opponent is me! from the one swashbuckler. And the 8 year old druid keeps forgetting that he has spells and just goes about feeling awesome cause he has a big snake. XD
Skills seem to completely go over their head, so I've just simplified that to a list of skills that they can pick from that I think would be useful. (no disable device cause I don't believe in traps)
Gave the druids the choices of Concentration, survival, listen, spot, handle animal, tumble, climb and jump.
Honestly though, the best thing about this is how excited they are to play.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Coming this Saturday!
Mom and Dad (the kid's not mine) are joining for a session, adding a bard and sorcerer to the party. Hopefully they hate gnomes as much as I do.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

You have to teach kids how to think RPG. That means, they need to have a number of special abilities that's small and easy to remember, and your adventures have to use those abilities.

If you want them to understand skills, you have to put them to use and prompt them. Kids (or any newbie, really) aren't going to ask, "O hai... I can haz perception check?" At least not until they understand the concept of how it's used and when it's used.

Using queues as the DM totally helps (ie: Pavlovian training). When you get to a new location, for example, pause for a second or two before you prompt a perception check. That way, your pause becomes the signal for the players to make an action. (You don't have to pause - you can choose whatever. One of Ess' prompts is a specific way of saying, "So...")

Ultimately, keep it simple, and keep it pertinent. As the game grows in complexity, make sure that their character sheets remain easy to navigate.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

There are also board games that are a 5' step away from being RPGs*, like Hero Quest. I'm pretty sure I was 6 when my dad bought that for me and we started playing it. It's basically a dice pool thing (you don't roll dice and add numbers, you count the skulls or shields rolled). But it has zero rules not related to stabbing people in the face, the game is literally set inside the dungeons (trips to town to stock up are handled as an end-of-session handwave thing), and you're not supposed to do interesting tricks to spice things up.**

*With the advent of 4E, you could actually argue it meets all the qualifiers. Because well...
**Yeah okay, if 4E qualifies as an RPG, so does Hero Quest.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

That seems like sound advice Maj thanks.

@ koumei, I definitely intend to train them into the tome way of DnD.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

You might try Danger Patrol! as well.
http://www.dangerpatrol.com/

I pitch it all the time, but it's easy to run without prep, character creation takes ~5 minutes including the crayons, and it strongly encourages you to use abilities to roleplay. Also, it's goofy, silver age superhero style fun.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

fectin wrote:You might try Danger Patrol! as well.

I pitch it all the time, but it's easy to run without prep, character creation takes ~5 minutes including the crayons, and it strongly encourages you to use abilities to roleplay. Also, it's goofy, silver age superhero style fun.
That sounds like it could be fun. I'll have to give it a look.

Holy multiple posts, Batman!
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Schleiermacher wrote:As I read it, the gnomes were polluting the water with runoff from their mine... so the PCs were basically acting in defense of the environment, ha!
D&D = Silent Spring: The RPG
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Session two went very well.
They investigated a volcano island that was swarming with zombies. As they fought their way through the zombies, they gradually found their way to the lair of the necromancer. (a little bit of railroading, but not much. There was a pathway)
My nephews cast their druid spells effectively. My swashbuckler niece stabbed things to death. after they found the necromancer, we went on a hike and continued the adventure as MTP. It was great.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

fectin wrote:You might try Danger Patrol! as well.

Huzzah!
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Good job AndreiChekov. Playing and/or running D&D with well, anyone works best if you understand that D&D is ultimately, and fundamentally, a children's game. If you cannot Mister Cavern for five year olds, you shouldn't be surprised if being the referee/narrator becomes impossible or the players seem difficult to manage.

Ideologically, MCing is the same as wrestling with a five year old. If you win... congratulations. You, a grown person, could beat a five year old; I'm sure you're happy for being a terrible person who can't even let a five-year old beat them in a mock wrestling match. If you lose though, you can't just "roll over". If not the five year old will feel like you're lying to them and their victory will feel hollow; and that's even worse.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Good advice... well, most everyone. Sounds like the adventure is going well. I would echo that when MCing for kids you really have to tailor things to them, which is not necessarily the same as dumbing it down.

And yes, I am working on a kids' RPG as codeGlaze mentioned, and it has gone from rpgKids supplement to standalone Adventure Time/Thundarr/Fallout/Axe Cop menage, on the Fate system.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.