Auto-fail in 3.0

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Auto-fail in 3.0

Post by fbmf »

Was this just in Dieties & Demigods, or did it make it into the FAQ?

Could you tell me where, if it was in the FAQ?

Game On,
fbmf
Maj
Prince

Re: Auto-fail in 3.0

Post by Maj »

Hey, hon... I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but in the back of my 3.0 PHB, there's this cute little section called From the Pages of Dragon. The first two pages are explanations of movement and AoO using pictures of models, and the next section is from "Sage Advice." The subject of auto-failures is on page 2 of that section.

Aside from that, I know not of any other reference made to auto-failing...
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Auto-fail in 3.0

Post by Username17 »

The Sage Advice thing reprinted in the second printing PHB is just plain peculiar.

It says that Saving Throws are like attack rolls in that something is always beyond the character's control - but it doesn't explicitly state that they auto-fail on a 1, and then says that there are some times that the roll doesn't matter.

Then it goes and says that ability checks don't auto-fail - and of course Saving Throws are technically a form of ability check according to the DMG - which means that they don't auto-fail on 1s according to that description.

---

However, your literal question was whether it mentioned auto-failure in the FAQs for 3rd edition.

You bet it does! The Epic Handbook and the Dieties and Demigods books had questions mixed into the general FAQ for some reason - and since both of them provide for an Auto-fail on a 1 for saves (despite the fact that, ironically, it is most ungamebalanced in those settings) - it reiterates those rules.

You can take that for whatever it is worth. Core Rules only, Saves do not fail on ones. Using anyting that Andy wrote, however, saves fail on ones.

-Username17