Does hardness stack with damage reduction?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Does hardness stack with damage reduction?

Post by Lago_AM3P »

That's basically it.

I'm racking my brains trying to come up with an arcane caster combo that will be more broken than a druid or cleric build--while I got some good momentum going, I'm hitting some rules snags.

The basic idea was to cast shapechange and totally slip into solar form (that sweet, sweet epic damage reduction) and then back that ass up with a side of statue, if that helps any.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Does hardness stack with damage reduction?

Post by Username17 »

There's no reason why hardness and damage reduction wouldn't stack.

The only reason why DR doesn't stack is that it has a special rule pertaining to that effect in the DR desription - which lists only DR as the thing it doesn't stack with.

This is actually a horrible idea, as of course it profoundly discounts class features that are achievable only at high levels - such as Barbarian and Monk DR when it doesn't stack with easily available spell effects or even simply special materials like Adamantite armor.

But essentially - DR doesn't stack for no good reason from a game balance or conceptual standpoint. There is a specific rule that DR does not stack with DR. Hardness is not DR, and therefore there is no good reason for it to not stack with DR, and there is no literal text to that effect either.

-Username17