First Playtest Results

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

First Playtest Results

Post by Username17 »

OK, we did our first playtest of the FF d20 rules, doing character generation and two combats today. One was a simple Rabbite Hunt, and the other was a more serious PCs vs. some zombies and some NPCs with character classes. Here's the things which jumped out at me:

* I like where the skill bonus abilities are going - the Monk's jumping ability was sufficiently significant to warrant a different fighting style.

* With so many fewer to-hit bonuses being handed out, players were far more aware of situational modifiers. Characters grovitted over higher ground, flanking, cover, etc. far more than they usually do - which I think is a good thing.

* With the increase in weapon damage and healing effectiveness - people used healing spells in combat. And not because they were stupid, either.

* The Monk isn't good enough, and needs to do more damage - Major revisions coming for that class.

-Username17
Jack_Lurch
Apprentice

Re: First Playtest Results

Post by Jack_Lurch »

Let us know how it turns out, Frank!

-Jack
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Hmm. I always jockey for situational modifiers...

Anyhow, when are you going to playtest on this side of the hill, Frank?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OK, new observations:

* White Mages need to be able to Lay on Hands much more frequently. Much more frequently. I'm thinking of making it unlimited use, actually.

* We gave Monks access to a stunning attack every single attack they ever make. It wasn't enough. So we gave them a "Cleave Plus" ability, where they could attack another target if their target was stunned or helpless after their death. That worked OK.

* Decreased mobility from using super heavy armor seems to not be worth it - I'm still working on those values. Currently, the degree of protection you can claim from your armor is strength based - which sounds like it might make Strength take over the world, but so far it has not seemed to.

-Username17