Check my math

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psifon
1st Level

Re: Check my math

Post by Psifon »

OK, now how does the math work for blessed weapons? Here is an ability that makes it so that you don't have to confirm the crit.

This makes a little bit of difference if your chance to hit is great, and a great deal of difference if your chance to hit is small (like on your 4th attack in your iteritive sequence). Since the crit chance is now flat and not subject to confirm checks you will simply have an X% chance per swing of critting. This can be modified by AC if you need a number to hit that is greater than your crit range, but that is it.

How would the math on this look?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OK, as we know, Blessed Weapons are very much dependent upon your chances to hit, contrasted with normal critical chances which are not.

Your chances of making a critical on any particular hit with a Blessed Weapon is simply the number of chances you have of scoring a critical threat divided by the number of chances you have of hitting. So if you threat on a 20 (1 number) and hit on an 11+ (10 numbers) you have a 10% chance of scoring a critical per hit. However, if you threat on a 20 (1 number) and only hit on a 16+ (6 numbers), then 20% of your hits will be criticals.

So the damage benefit from that ability increases when your chance to hit decreases. Which is pretty weird when ou think about it. Penalties to hit pop off the bottom where you aren't scoring an automatic critical - and the best to-hit numbers hold on to the bitter end (those of you who remember the old critical rules in AD&D can tell us that this was not a good system for general consumption).

However, it's still balanced between axes and swords - an axe in the above examples would either have a 10% or 20% chance per hit of delivering a critical and would add twice the original damage each time (an adjustment of +20% or +40% of the original damage from critical modifiers average per hit). Meanwhile, if you instead had a longsword - you would be getting a critical 20% of your hits (because you were now critting on 2 numbers out of your 10 hits) or 40% of your hits (if you were now critting on 2 numbers out of 5 hits). In either case, the average added damage benefit is the same.

Now if you applied the Improved Critical feat to either one (which is, in fact, totally legal) - the damage bonus is exactly the same. The Longsword in those examples now criticals as much as 80% of its hits, while the axe adds twice as much damage at 40% of its hits in the same to-hit range.

Ironically, of course, if you only hit on 6 numbers with your falchion that you have Improved Critical with (this is not a magical effect, so Bless Weapon stacks fine), you would critical on 100% of your hits - and this doesn't break the game in the slightest. It's weird, but the game doesn't actually break when this happens.

-Username17
Psifon
1st Level

Post by Psifon »

That's what I figured too.

What I don't like are the new enhancements that give things like Prismatic strike or paralyzing strike on a critical, since they very clearly favor broad crit threat ranges over deep crit damage.