I want your opinion on this item:

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psifon
1st Level

I want your opinion on this item:

Post by Psifon »

Cloth of Sharpening:

One time per day, upon command, this magical cloth, can be used to oil a weapon, (using normal oil for this process). In doing so, it bestows the benefits of a Greater Magic Weapon upon the item. The spell bestowed by the cloth varies in power with the caster level of the item, from a +1 to a +5

Moderate to Strong Transmutation, CL varies, Craft Wonderous Item, Greater Magic Weapon.

Caster Level/bonus/price
5th / +1 / 2000 gp
8th / +2 / 8000 gp
12th / +3 / 18000 gp
16th / +4 / 32000 gp
20th / +5 / 50000 gp

Ok, so what do you think?

Also one could concieve of a similar item that casts magic vestment on one's armor one time per day.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: I want your opinion on this item:

Post by Username17 »

Well, the +5 version is quite obviously superior to a +5 weapon, as it actually costs less, and is in all ways more useful and amenable to improvements.

Of course, that's primarily a problem with the fact that the magic item costing system - most especially at the high end - is craptastical as it is nonsensical; and not truly a direct problem with your proposed item at all. The fact is that weapons are horribly over priced, so things which make them marginally cheaper and better are not game breaking in and of themselves.

However, I balk at attempting a fix in this manner for flavor purposes. By making the logical alternative to magical weapons be a transferable hankerchief of power you've just essentially undercut the entire concept of the named weapon. There's just no reason for high level characters to even really care about their weapons - the only thing that really matters is their corsage.

There are doubtless some people who want to play characters like that:
http://www.utena.net
...but I don't think that I am one of them.

Now this is, of course, already an inherent problem with Greater Magic Weapon. You'll note that all the Cleric Archer builds rely on that spell almost exclusively. But I don't think that embracing this problem and throwing yourself onto its tender mercies is necessarily the correct way to house rule things...

-Username17
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

ouch...
Thoth_Amon
Journeyman

Post by Thoth_Amon »

I might consider changing the name as it implies it is only useful for slashing and possibly piercing weapons, but the flavor text notes it works for all weapons. You should note the respective durations of the effects as they differ wildly upon the caster level of the creator.

Since the cloth is unslotted, wouldn't the cost be doubled?

So, Use Activated:
+1 version ==> 3 (Spell Level {arcane}) * 5 (Caster Level) * 2000 * 2 (unslotted) / 5 (Charges per day) = 12,000 gp Lasts for 5 hours
+2 version ==> 3 (Spell Level {arcane}) * 8 (Caster Level) * 2000 * 2 (unslotted) / 5 (Charges per day) = 19,200 gp Lasts for 8 hours
+3 version ==> 3 (Spell Level {arcane}) * 12 (Caster Level) * 2000 * 2 (unslotted) / 5 (Charges per day) = 28,800 gp Lasts for 12 hours
+4 version ==> 3 (Spell Level {arcane}) * 16 (Caster Level) * 2000 * 2 (unslotted) / 5 (Charges per day) = 38,400 gp Lasts for 16 hours
+5 version ==> 3 (Spell Level {arcane}) * 20 (Caster Level) * 2000 * 2 (unslotted) / 5 (Charges per day) = 48,000 gp Lasts for 20 hours

Multiply by .75 if you made it a scarf that took up your amulet slot as no WI slots have "affinities" for these kind of effects.

You could make is an everful spray bottle and put it in a can and call if a "Can of whoop ass." Spray it on your weapon and for the next couple of hours it rocks.

TA
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Thoth wrote:Since the cloth is unslotted, wouldn't the cost be doubled?

It's not unslotted - it totally takes up a hand slot.

Not, of course, that it matters. The item is used out of combat and lasts for hours - it could take up all of your slots and it wouldn't especially change the effectiveness of the item.

The slotted/unslotted paradigm is a failure, honestly, and I think items like this really show why that is.

-Username17
Thoth_Amon
Journeyman

Post by Thoth_Amon »

It doesn't change the effectiveness, it changes the creation cost though. Either by 75% or by 100% depending on if you mind switching gloves when you want to use it or not.

Unless you identified an affinity I missed. ;-)

TA
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Technically it takes up a weapon slot when used. Thus, like a wand, it doesn't have any special slot affinity price multipliers.

The affinities and the unslotted multipliers are stupid, since their stated goal (to curb player min/maxxing) is accomplished to a negative degree by their inclusion. Why bother putting a bunch of cool powers into a cloak of being awesome when you can just hold a series of unrelated small objects at the beginning of your day and activate them in sequence for the same effect at a lower cost? Sure it's less heroic, and even kind of stupid - but it's game mechanically much more effective.

-Username17
Thoth_Amon
Journeyman

Post by Thoth_Amon »

Frank wrote:Technically it takes up a weapon slot when used. Thus, like a wand, it doesn't have any special slot affinity price multipliers.

:jawdrop: What!? :jawdrop:

Wha-why? How? Where?

I am lost as to how you came to this. It is a wonderous item. There is no wonderous item weapon slot. A necklace of fireballs takes up an amulat slot.

Please explain what you mean by this becasue you lost me.

Thanks!

TA
Psifon
1st Level

Post by Psifon »

Actually, I just pulled that pricing off of the ring of protection progression (I was feeling lazy).

I figure TA's pricing is more "by the book." It doesn't matter what it is, It could be a whetsone (which is more esthetically pleasing), or perhapse a rubber ducky of whoop arse.

Given Franks great loathing of the concept, I have to conclude it is just the processed cheeze food I figured it was.

After all, he is the man who came up with Balor Mining and the Triptastic Titan. So if HE thinks it's broken, then I know that I have tapped into some true cheeze ;) .

It does solve some problems that fighter-types face with their finances. Spell casters get to make extra money off the fighter-types, what with magic item creation and all. Fighter-types are just stuck with what they get.