Exotic Weapon Master...why not just make it the Weapon Maste

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Galahad_Knight
1st Level

Exotic Weapon Master...why not just make it the Weapon Maste

Post by Galahad_Knight »

I like the idea of the new exotic weapon master.
I like a lot of the weapon tricks he can do

But why limit it to jhust Exotic weapons?

I mean, it doesn't even make sense.
Why is it you can only really master a weapon that is so bloody hard to use that most peoiple can't hit with them?
Why can't I master the Longsword?

Sure, that would eleminate a feat from the requirements (you no longer need an exotic weapon proif) but that's hardly a major issue. I mean, half the races in the book can meet the feat requiremenbt at first level anyway.

If you want to limit it though, you could always make it a fighter-only class by requirig Weapon Specialization. Or require Weapon Specialization *or* Improved Critical, so you donlt have to be a fighter, but you do if you want to get into the class anytime soon.

What od you guys think?

would it be balanced to make the Exotic Weapon Master just a plain old Weapon Master?
Is requiring Specialization or improved crit too much?

Machine_Kiss
NPC

Re: Exotic Weapon Master...why not just make it the Weapon M

Post by Machine_Kiss »

I'm thinking the designers made the PrC in order to compel people to use more exotic weapons. In my neck of the woods, relatively few people take the EWP feats unless its for the Spiked Chain (3.5 Trip-meister builds). Probably because the martial weapon list really does fit all your basic needs for most weaponmaster archetypes and blowing a feat for the minimal return you get on a EWP expenditure just ain't worth it.

And face it, almost all weapons published by WotC in future supplements will *have* to be exotic - all the martial weapon standby's are accounted for. And this PrC will maybe get those weapons some actual game-play and help appease the book designers egos. :tongue:

Although the PrC is a real boon for non-humans using racial exotic weapons ... and certain OA/Rokugan characters to boot. That's one less feat for you to have to spend.

The Rokugan Ninja (core class) loves this PrC as it can be had with no feat pre-req and gets a lot of benefit when paired with the Chain (not the Spiked Chain, but the Chain). Especially since the Chain can be wielded either in TWF or THF mode. Woo!
Psifon
1st Level

Re: Exotic Weapon Master...why not just make it the Weapon M

Post by Psifon »

I think it was written by the same guy who has been systematically powering up all the trip abilities in the game. It is obviously all about having a hard on for the spiked chain.