[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 71 – Shadow of the Giants

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 71 – Shadow of the Giants

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Cover

Howdy, everyone. With this FF Let’s Play, we will now have a thread for each of the 71 Fighting Fantasy books that have been published as of today. This is truly a landmark accomplishment for any forum to have, and I hope that it will distinguish this website out of the other gaming forums out there. The book that we will be playing to finish off the entire Fighting Fantasy collection will be Book #71, which was published along with Book #70 to commemorate the series’ 40th anniversary. Anyone interested in joining this special adventure is welcome. As usual, I will try to update this thread on a twice per day basis. However, there will be some delays on Memorial Day weekend, as I will not have reliable access to the Internet during that time.

Map

HOW WILL YOU START YOUR ADVENTURE?
The book you hold in your hands is a gateway to another world – a world of dark magic, terrifying monsters, brooding castles, treacherous dungeons and untold danger, where a noble few defend against the myriad schemes of the forces of evil. Welcome to the world of FIGHTING FANTASY!

You are about to embark upon a thrilling fantasy adventure in which YOU are the hero! YOU decide which route to take, which dangers to risk and which creatures to fight. But be warned – it will also be YOU who has to live or die by the consequences of your actions.

Take heed, for success is by no means certain, and you may well fail in your mission on your first attempt. But have no fear, for with experience, skill and luck, each new attempt should bring you a step closer to your ultimate goal.

Prepare yourself, for when you turn the page you will enter an exciting perilous FIGHTING FANTASY adventure where every choice is yours to make, an adventure in which YOU ARE THE HERO!

How would you like to begin your adventure?
IF YOU ARE NEW TO FIGHTING FANTASY …
It’s a good idea to read through the rules which appear on pages 271-279 before you start.
IF YOU HAVE PLAYED FIGHTING FANTASY BEFORE …
Don’t forget to enter your character’s details on the Adventure Sheet, which appears on page 280.
ALTERNATIVE DICE
If you do not have a pair of dice handy, dice rolls are printed throughout the book at the bottom of the pages. Flicking rapidly through the book and stopping on a page will give you a random dice roll. If you need to ‘roll’ only one die, read only the first printed die; if two, total the two dice symbols.
Obviously, a pair of dice is available for every die roll that needs to be processed in this adventure.

HOW TO FIGHT THE CREATURES IN SHADOW OF THE GIANTS
YOU have been preparing for your quest by practising your swordplay and building up your strength and STAMINA. You possess a sword and a backpack containing Provisions (food and drink) to help sustain you during your adventure. Before setting off, you must first roll dice to record your SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores on your Adventure Sheet on page 280, which you should also use to keep a record of the items you find on your adventure. Use the Enemy Encounter Sheet on page 281 to record combat with monsters during the adventure. Write your scores in pencil or make photocopies of the blank Adventure Sheet and Enemy Encounter Sheet to use in future adventures.
For the purposes of this thread, the Adventure Sheet will be hand-made and periodically displayed.

SKILL, STAMINA AND LUCK
To determine your Initial SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores:

• Roll one die. Add 6 to this number and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.
• Roll both dice. Add 12 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.
• Roll one die, add 6 to this number and enter this total in the LUCK box.

SKILL reflects your swordsmanship and fighting expertize; the higher the better. STAMINA represents your strength; the higher your STAMINA, the longer you should survive. LUCK represents how lucky a person you are; the higher your LUCK score, the luckier you will be.

SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores increase and decrease during an adventure, and you must keep an accurate record of them. Although you may gain additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points during the adventure, your Initial scores may never be exceeded unless special instructions are given.
Making the appropriate rolls and modifications yielded the following initial scores:
SKILL: 9
STAMINA: 16
LUCK: 11

BATTLES
When you are told to fight a creature, you must resolve the battle as described below. First write down the enemy’s SKILL and STAMINA scores in an empty box on the Enemy Encounter Sheet found on page 281 and make a note of your own SKILL and STAMINA scores. The sequence of combat is then:

1. Roll the two dice for your enemy and add the total to its SKILL score. This is your enemy’s Attack Strength.

2. Roll the two dice for yourself and add the total to your current SKILL. This is your Attack Strength.

3. Whose Attack Strength is higher? If your Attack Strength is higher, you have wounded your enemy – go to 4. If the enemy’s Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you – go to 5. If both are the same, you have both missed – start the next Attack Round from step 1 above.

4. If you wounded your enemy, subtract 2 points from the enemy’s STAMINA score. You may use LUCK here to do additional damage (see ‘Using Luck in Battles’ below).

5. If your enemy wounded you, subtract 2 points from your STAMINA score. You may use LUCK to minimize the damage (see ‘Using Luck in Battles’ below).

6. Make the appropriate changes to either the creature’s or your own STAMINA scores (and your LUCK score if you used LUCK) and begin the next Attack Round (repeat steps 1-6).

7. This continues until the STAMINA score of either you or the creature you are fighting has been reduced to zero (death).
ESCAPING FROM BATTLES
During certain battles you will be given the option to Escape. If you think you are going to be defeated, you may Escape, but you must lose 2 STAMINA points, as your opponent is deemed to have wounded you as you flee.
LUCK
At various times during your adventure, you will be told to Test Your Luck. LUCK plays a part in deciding what happens to you.
HOW TO TEST YOUR LUCK
Roll two dice. If the number rolled is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you have been Lucky. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK score, you have been Unlucky. The consequences of being Lucky or Unlucky will be found in the paragraph you are sent to. Each time you Test Your Luck, you must subtract one point from your current LUCK score. The more you rely on luck, the riskier this becomes.
USING LUCK IN BATTLES
During battles, you have the option of using your LUCK either to score a more serious wound on a creature, or to minimize the effects of a wound the creature has just scored on you.

If you wounded the creature: you may Test Your Luck as described above. If you are Lucky, subtract an extra 2 points from the creature’s STAMINA score (i.e. 4 instead of 2 normally). But if you are Unlucky, you must restore 1 point to the creature’s STAMINA (so instead of causing 2 points of damage, you have only caused 1).

If you were wounded by the creature: you may Test Your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are Lucky, restore 1 point of your STAMINA (i.e. instead of causing 2 points of damage, it has only caused 1). If you are Unlucky, subtract 1 extra STAMINA point.

Don’t forget to subtract 1 point from your LUCK score each time you Test Your Luck.
For the purposes of this Let’s Play, the attack rounds will be resolved all at once. I will generally only consider using Luck in battles if our adventurer has less than 7 Stamina points. For such battles, I will ask whether Luck should be used to improve the odds of winning the fight. In battles where escape is an option and our adventurer has less than 7 Stamina points, I will also ask under which conditions our adventurer should escape from the battle.

RESTORING SKILL, STAMINA, AND LUCK
SKILL

Occasionally, an event may alter your SKILL score. For example, a Magic Sword may increase your SKILL, but remember that only one weapon can be used at a time. You cannot claim 2 SKILL bonuses for carrying two Magic Swords.

Drinking the Potion of Skill (see ‘Potions’ below) will restore your SKILL to its Initial level.

STAMINA AND PROVISIONS

Your STAMINA score will change a lot during the adventure. As you near your goal, your STAMINA level may be dangerously low, so be careful!

You start the game with enough Provisions for ten meals. You may only eat one meal at a time. When you have a meal, add 4 points to your STAMINA score and reduce your Provisions total by one. Keep a record of your Provisions in the box provided on the Adventure Sheet. Remember to use your Provisions wisely.

Drinking the Potion of Strength (see ‘Potions’ below) will restore your STAMINA to its Initial level.

LUCK

Your LUCK score will change during your adventure. For example, you may find a lucky charm which adds to your LUCK score. Or an evil spell might reduce your LUCK score.

Drinking the Potion of Luck (see ‘Potions’ below) will restore your LUCK to its Initial level.
POTIONS
You begin your adventure with a sword and a backpack containing Provisions (food and drink). You will find gold, treasure, weapons, armour and artefacts on your adventure. But not all items will help you on your quest. Some might even harm you!

You may also take a Magic Potion which will aid you on your quest. Each bottle of potion contains enough for one measure, i.e. it can only be used once during an adventure. Choose ONE of the following:

A Potion of Skill restores SKILL points to their Initial level

A Potion of Stamina restores STAMINA points to their Initial level

A Potion of Luck restores LUCK points to their Initial level

These potions may be taken at any time during the adventure but not during combat.
HINTS ON PLAY
There is ‘one true way’ through Shadow of the Giants and it will probably take you several attempts to find it. Making notes and drawing a map as you explore will help you on your quest.

Not all locations contain treasure. Some contain deadly traps and creatures. There are several ‘wild-goose chase’ passages, and while you may progress through to your ultimate destination, winning is not guaranteed.

The ‘one true way’ involves a minimum of risk and even with low Initial dice rolls, you should be able to win.

Good LUCK on your adventure and may your STAMINA never fail!
Please keep all spoilers covered out of respect to those who want a blind experience. I will use personal instinct to break any ties.

This book has a fair difficulty level, and our hero will not need to fight any opponents at a severe disadvantage to get to the successful ending, assuming that sensible choices are made through this adventure. To ensure a balanced experience, I will not give our adventurer any resurrections or boons for this Let’s Play. So, if our adventurer dies, the Let’s Play ends with a bonus death entry which will probably be coupled with a (cringeworthy) life lesson. It would therefore be wise to take this Let’s Play seriously.

BACKGROUND
Less than a day’s walk from Firetop Mountain, Anvil is a bustling mining town which began as a small settlement and grew quickly following the discovery of gold in nearby caves. The menfolk are mostly gold miners, whilst the womenfolk are the lawmakers who mete out tough justice to wrongdoers found guilty of any crime.

There was never a lot to see or do in Anvil. Visitors were few other than local farmers selling their produce or sneaky thieves who slipped into town to try their luck on unsuspecting citizens. The only other outsiders in town were the rugged Dwarf gold miners hired in from nearby Stonebridge. Eager to shake hands with everybody, the Dwarfs would greet people with an outstretched hand and a beaming smile. The residents soon learned to avoid their handshakes since a Dwarf miner’s huge, big-knuckled hand would crush theirs, which, if it happened, would send the Dwarfs into fits of laughter. It was all a game to them. Following a long stint in the mines, the Dwarfs would let off steam by taking part in arm-wrestling contests in the noisy taverns of Anvil, risking their hard-earned pay in wagers. Most were bad losers, and many a punch was thrown following a loss in a close-fought contest.

Travelling merchants avoided the mining town, so the mayor built a permanent market in the town square. She made a deal with the merchants of Kaad for Anvil to become the eastern terminus for their trade route across the Pagan Plains. The new market quickly became popular, attracting both the merchants of Kaad and people from the surrounding villages. Whilst some of them would fall foul of a miner’s handshake or a sly thief, the market boomed.

You are an adventurer who has recently arrived in Anvil to buy a new sword to replace the one you broke forcing a dungeon door open on a quest to find a treasure chest. The chest contained a map and 50 Gold Pieces (make a note on your Adventure Sheet on page 280). You are eager to go on another quest, this time on Firetop Mountain. There were scribblings on the back of the map which described a large quantity of gold concealed in a secret room by the Warlock Zagor. But you dare not venture into the monster-filled passageways beneath Firetop Mountain without a new sword.

Wary of Anvil’s thieves, you hide half your Gold Pieces in your clothing and half inside a secret pocket in your backpack. It is early morning, and you are walking through Anvil’s crowded market, looking at the various stalls. You are not alone. The market is busy with people buying cloth, food, spices, weapons and tools from the brightly robed merchants who make shrill cries to attract their customers. Unable to find a sword to your liking, you are about to leave the market when you feel a tug on your arm. You turn around and see a scrawny, one-legged old man in scruffy clothes peering up at you through half-closed eyes, his mouth hanging open.

‘I saw you looking at those swords back there. None took your fancy, did they?’ he says in a scratchy voice. ‘Maybe I can help? Dunbar Lapp’s my name and selling is my game! I know someone who has the best swords in town. Much better quality than anything those swindlers from Kaad have got to offer! Interested?’

The old man appears harmless enough and you tell him to take you to the sword seller. He leads you out of the market and down a narrow street, his wooden crutch tapping sharply on the cobblestones. The top floors of the creaking wooden houses on both sides of the street jut out overhead, and when you hear a shrill cry of ‘Look out below!’ from above, you just manage to dodge being drenched by a bucket of dirty water tossed out of an upstairs window. ‘You were lucky that was water. Sometimes it isn’t!’ Dunbar says, chuckling. You pass the locals on their way to the market, but they pay you no attention. Dunbar talks non-stop, telling you in gruesome detail how he lost his leg to a snow wolf in the Icefinger Mountains when he was young. You arrive at a shop with heavy wooden shutters pulled back from the window. ‘Here we are. Swords and Shields,’ he announces proudly with a sweeping gesture of the hand. He invites you to go in, saying, ‘Amaric stocks every type of sword you could ever want. He’ll see you right. I’ll wait for you outside and trust you will tip me later.’

YOUR ADVENTURE AWAITS!

May your STAMINA never fail!
NOW TURN OVER…

A small brass bell jingles overhead as you walk through the doorway into the shop. Inside, you see a huge display of swords and shields mounted on the walls. On the floor to your left, there is a wooden barrel full of spears, and on your right, a collection of daggers and axes sticking out of an old tree stump. Wearing leather armour to protect him, a tall man with a flat nose and thick brown hair is standing behind the counter opposite with his arms folded. He looks at you suspiciously as you enter and reaches down to produce a wooden club from under the counter. ‘You are not from these parts, stranger. How can I help you?’ he asks in a firm voice. Will you:

Ask him if he knows Dunbar Lapp?       Turn to 84
     Tell him that you would like to buy a sword?       Turn to 369
     Jump over the counter and attack him?       Turn to 109

In addition to the above choice, what name do you want to give our hero, and which magic potion do you want to take out of the three potions available? Please make your decisions before 7:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 71 – Shadow of the Giants

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, I will have our adventurer take the Potion of Skill and ask him if he knows Dunbar Lapp. I will leave name voting open for now.

The armourer puts down his wooden club. ‘Dunbar Lapp, you say. No, never heard of him. Why?’ You explain that Dunbar Lapp brought you to his shop to buy a sword. The man bursts out laughing and says, ‘Of course I know Dunbar! He’s a good man who brings me lots of customers. This is your lucky day. You are the hundredth customer he has brought to me this year, which means you are entitled to a free dagger if you buy one of my swords. What do you say?’ Whilst waiting for your reply, he takes one sword down from the wall and another from under the counter. ‘These are the best I have,’ he says in a friendly voice. ‘The sword with the engraved blade is the Vampire Sword, which was designed for slaying the undead. I’m only asking for 10 Gold Pieces for it. The sword with the flame-coloured grip is a Fire Sword, which is best for fighting fire-breathing creatures. At 15 Gold Pieces, it’s a bargain.’ If you want to buy a sword, make your choice, note the cost in Gold Pieces on your Adventure Sheet and turn to 297. If you decide not to buy a sword, turn to 73.

Please make your votes on what to do next and what to name our hero before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
???
SKILL: 9 Initial Skill = 9
STAMINA: 16 Initial Stamina = 16
LUCK: 11 Initial Luck = 11
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Broken Sword
Backpack
Map
GOLD: 50
JEWELS:
None
POTIONS:
Potion of Skill
PROVISIONS: 10
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

From the little I've seen Fire is important. It seems that the 15gp fire sword would be the better choice.

I may have doomed our last character with my name choice. If anyone else has suggestions I'll defer to them; I'll make a suggestion tomorrow if nobody else suggests one.

Looking forward to it!
-This space intentionally left blank
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

May as well get the Fire Sword, yeah, most undead aren't that scary.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Alright, so it looks like our adventurer will buy the Fire Sword for 15 Gold Pieces. I will leave name voting open until tonight in order to take in any upcoming suggestions.

Amaric thanks you for buying the sword and says, ‘I think you will be very happy with your choice.’ He gives you a shiny dagger, which you tuck inside your boot, before shaking your hand and bidding you farewell. You go outside, where you find Dunbar Lapp waiting for you. He smiles when he sees your sword and cannot conceal his excitement. ‘I hope you are pleased with your new weapon?’ he asks enthusiastically. You tell him you are more than happy with your purchase and the gift of a dagger. You drop 2 Gold Pieces into his hand as a tip, thank him for his help, and wave goodbye. Turn to 381.

A tavern by the name of the Double Duck

Your thoughts return to Firetop Mountain and the legendary treasures hidden inside. You are keen to try your luck but are also aware of the dangers which lie inside the deadly tunnels. You reason that it would be better to team up with somebody who has knowledge of the mountain to give you a better chance of survival. You decide to see if you can hire a miner to accompany you on your quest. The best place to find the Dwarfs would be in a tavern, where they would be likely to be letting off steam. You walk briskly through the back streets and arrive at a tavern by the name of the Double Duck from where you can hear a lot of shouting and screaming coming from inside. You poke your head round the tavern door and see a fight going on between two Dwarfs who are rolling around on the floor, knocking lumps out of each other. The other Dwarfs in the tavern are swigging back tankards of frothy ale and cheering on the brawling pair. The tall barman suddenly rings a brass bell to end the fight and declare who won. The bruised Dwarfs stand up and give each other a hug before staggering over to the bar, where the winner buys the loser a drink. With order restored, the Dwarfs sit down at the tables laughing, joking, and recounting tales of their mining exploits. One of the Dwarfs sitting at the nearest table to the door points at you and says, ‘Oi, sunshine, do you fancy your chances at arm wrestling? 2 Gold Pieces says I can beat you!’ If you want to accept the challenge, turn to 311. If you would rather sit down at another table, turn to 340.

Please make your votes on what to do next and what to name our hero before 7:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
???
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Broken Sword
Backpack
Map
Fire Sword
Shiny Dagger
GOLD: 33
JEWELS:
None
POTIONS:
Potion of Skill
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Nothing succeeds like success. I think we should accept the challenge.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Doing things is more interesting than not, so try.

(IIRC, before clocks with limited space, roman numerals could be in any order, so LXIX would be the same as LXXI. I suggest Lixx as a name, as this is book number XILX)
Dogopolis
Journeyman

Post by Dogopolis »

Subtractive Roman numerals have been used since Roman times, so any idea that something ending IX is the same as XI can't be right as it would be too ambiguous. You may be thinking of things like VIIII versus IX, with the former falling out of favour well after Arabic numerals were the main numbering system.

Lets's accept the challenge.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Okay, so I registered your votes to accept the challenge and to name our adventurer Lixx, who I will assume to be male in gender.

You sit down opposite the Dwarf, who shakes your hand, grinning confidently. He tries to crush your fingers, but you give as good as you get. A crowd quickly gathers around the table, shouting encouragement, as you lock hands in earnest to begin the contest. You stare each other down as the barman gives the countdown, ‘Three, two, one, heave!’ Roll two dice and add the total to the Dwarf’s SKILL of 7. Roll two dice again and add the total to your SKILL. If your total is the same or higher than that of the Dwarf, you win the contest. Turn to 29. If it is lower, you lose the contest. Turn to 154.

Rolling the dice and adding the Dwarf’s Skill yields an 18, while rolling the dice again and adding Lixx’s Skill yields a 20, so Lixx wins the contest. :D

The Dwarf curses, annoyed with himself for losing the contest. ‘Wiggy lost! Wiggy lost!’ shout his friends, cackling with laughter, some of them spilling their ale when raising their mugs to toast your victory. The Dwarf is reluctant at first to pay up, but eventually flicks 2 Gold Pieces across the table, looking at you with a face like thunder. You thank him, stand up and look round for somewhere else to sit down. Turn to 340.

You walk over to an alcove at the back of the Double Duck and sit down opposite two Dwarfs who are playing a noisy game of dice. The older one with the longer beard is accusing the other one of cheating. You cough loudly to get their attention and introduce yourself by asking if either of them would like to join you on a treasure-hunting trip to Firetop Mountain. They put down their dice and say that they are very interested in joining you on a quest. They both claim to have explored the tunnels of Firetop Mountain before. The older Dwarf with ginger hair and a long beard, drooping moustache and ruddy cheeks is called Higgly, who tells you he is experienced and trustworthy. He asks for an advance payment of 4 Gold Pieces and a share of half the treasures found. The younger Dwarf with the long brown hair and a shorter beard is called Gibbly, who says he is a fearless fighter and would join you for an immediate payment of 2 Gold Pieces plus a third of the treasures found. If you want to pay 4 Gold Pieces to hire the services of Higgly, turn to 128. If you want to hire Gibbly for 2 Gold Pieces, turn to 206.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Lixx
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Broken Sword
Backpack
Map
Fire Sword
Shiny Dagger
GOLD: 35
JEWELS:
None
POTIONS:
Potion of Skill
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Someone who is fearless and untrustworthy might take our gold and split. So I think hiring someone trustworthy is probably worth it, but we only have Higgly's word that he can be trusted.

Well, traveling with a fiery red-head sounds more cinematic so let's call it a half-vote for Higgly (the more expensive option).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Hire Higgly
Dogopolis
Journeyman

Post by Dogopolis »

Higgly is trustworthy according to himself, which gives me "Honest John" car seller vibes. Vote for Gibbly
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Hire Gibbly.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

So treasure can be a multiple of 2 or 3, but not both unless it is at least 6. So far all the treasure we've seen has been a multiple of 2. That means that Gibbly won't get full pieces of gold, which means he wasn't planning to get paid. Increasing my vote to a full vote for Higgly.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I agree with that logic, hire Higgly.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted; paying 4 Gold Pieces to hire the services of Higgly won over hiring Gibbly for 2 Gold Pieces by a 3-2 vote.

Higgly holds out his hand for you to count out the gold coins. He thanks you with a nod of the head and says enthusiastically, ‘Firetop Mountain awaits us. I’m ready to go when you are!’ He grabs his axe, a coil of rope and his backpack from behind the bar and follows you out of the tavern. You tell Higgly that you want to set off immediately, but he says he never goes treasure hunting without first going to see Mystic Mary, the local soothsayer who always gives him helpful advice. If you want to visit the soothsayer, turn to 247. If you would rather leave Anvil without further delay, turn to 191.

Please make your votes before 7:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Lixx
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Broken Sword
Backpack
Map
Fire Sword
Shiny Dagger
GOLD: 31
JEWELS:
None
POTIONS:
Potion of Skill
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I see no reason not to see a soothsayer. Maybe we can get a luck bonus.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

To the soothsayer!
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; visiting the soothsayer.

She points at a small ceramic money box

Higgly leads you through the back streets of Anvil before turning down a narrow alleyway. You grip the hilt of your sword, wary that he might be leading you into a trap. But your fears are quickly allayed when you arrive outside a small house at the end of the alleyway which has a door with the words ‘Mystic Mary’ on the nameplate. Higgly opens the door and walks in without waiting to be asked. You follow him inside a small room, where you see a young woman with long black hair sitting in a rocking chair and stroking a black cat on her lap in front of an open fireplace. She is wearing a long black dress and has a red shawl wrapped around her neck. She looks at you out of the corner of her eyes and with the hint of a smile says, ‘Welcome. I believe you are here to seek my words of wisdom regarding a quest you are about to embark on. If that is indeed the case, please drop 1 Gold Piece into my little friend here.’ She points at a small ceramic money box on a small round-topped tripod table next to her. It is in the shape of a pig with a coin slot on its back. If you want to put 1 Gold Piece in her money box, turn to 112. If you would rather save your gold and leave Anvil to begin your treasure quest, turn to 191.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Drop one gold into the money box.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Pay her.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Give gold.

(And, oh, nice artwork there. Not brilliant, and not in the weird but characterful style of some of the early pieces, but much better than some of the bland stuff in the most recent books)
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

It's strange to start with what seems like so much money relatively speaking. Yes, pay her.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes recognized; putting 1 Gold Piece in her money box.

Mary closes her eyes and begins to stroke her cat very gently as she recites a short rhyme in a barely audible whisper:

The eyes of the dragon
     Are the gems on its head
     Green is life
     And red is dead

She opens her eyes again, smiles and says, ‘Good luck on your adventure.’ Higgly thanks her for her help and leaves the hut. You follow him outside and ask him what dragon eyes have got to do with Firetop Mountain. Higgly shrugs his shoulders and says, ‘Who knows, but I’m sure Mary’s rhyme will aid us on our quest.’ You repeat the rhyme to memorize it and leave Anvil to begin your treasure hunting quest. Turn to 191.

You head east, chatting excitedly with Higgly about treasure hunting. Ahead, you see the ominous fire-red peak of Firetop Mountain, its menacing steep face strewn with sharp crags of rock jutting out from it. As you approach the mountain, you see the cave entrance ahead. ‘Ha! Here we are,’ Higgly calls out loudly. He pulls his axe from his belt and steps into the gloom. The walls inside the cave are slimy and there are pools of dank water on the floor which give the air a musty smell. You set off down a passageway at the back of the cave and soon come to a junction. You ask Higgly which way you should go, and he replies that going left is pointless since treasure hunters have long since looted everything in that section of the mountain. You turn right and notice a small hole in the wall. You peer into the cavity, but it is too dark to see what is inside. If you want to reach into the hole, turn to 12. If you would rather walk on, turn to 49.

Please make your votes before 7:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Lixx
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Broken Sword
Backpack
Map
Fire Sword
Shiny Dagger
GOLD: 30
JEWELS:
None
POTIONS:
Potion of Skill
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I'm torn on this. Sticking your hands into random holes is generally not sensible. But it just seems too weird a question - like something must have been lost in it. In the Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck movie Roman Holiday "They tour the Colosseum. Joe then takes Ann to the Mouth of Truth and tells her the legend attached to it: if a liar puts their hand in the mouth, it will be bitten off. After Ann reluctantly tries it, when it is Joe's turn, he startles her by pretending that his hand was cut off."

So against my better judgement, I'm voting we stick our hand into the dark hole.