[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 69 – Crystal of Storms

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 69 – Crystal of Storms

Post by Beroli »

Go to the mill.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; going to the mill.

You make your way around the edge of the market, heading towards the mill. The ground begins to rumble beneath your feet. Market-goers start sprinting for cover and before you can ask what the fuss is about, the only shopkeeper left nearby shouts “RUN!” before quickly pulling down the wooden shutter on his shop with a loud clonk.
     If Dav is with you, turn to 399. If Dav is not with you, turn to 311.

Dav is with Icarus Morningstar.

“Uh-oh!” says Dav in response to the ground trembling beneath your feet. “Something’s on its way and it’s BIG! I smell a fight coming!” He reaches into a small bag at his waist and tosses you a small bottle of purplish-coloured liquid.
     “Take this. It’ll give you a little extra oomph.”
     You see the earth bucking and cracking as something burrows through the soil towards you, sending market stalls flying.
     Hands shaking, you gulp down the liquid. A warm, tingling feeling washes through your body, right down to the tips of your fingers. You feel your strength growing. (Add 3 STAMINA points to your total, even if this takes it above its Initial level, and add 1 point when calculating your Attack Strength for this fight only.)
     As the feeling surges through you, a huge worm-like creature erupts from the ground. It seems to have no eyes, but it makes up for that with the number of glistening fangs it has in its huge, gaping mouth, which is heading straight for you.
     “Give it hell!” yells Dav.

TUNNELLER BEAST     SKILL 8     STAMINA 9

If you win, turn to 289.

The fight:
Round 1: Tunneller Beast Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 21
Tunneller Beast Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 20
Round 2: Tunneller Beast Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 20
Tunneller Beast Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 20
Round 3: Tunneller Beast Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 20
Tunneller Beast Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 20

As expected, Icarus Morningstar and Dav flawlessly slaughter the Tunneller Beast.

With an enormous shudder, the creature crashes to the ground. Slowly the market-goers return and start poking at the huge corpse.
     “Nice work, Officer!”
     “Do you think this can be roasted? Stewed, maybe.”
     “Worth a try!”
     The stallholder cautiously raises his shutter.
     “Well I never, you got it! Here, take some dried stink fruit and silk cloth on the house.”
     (You can add the silk cloth and the 2 dried stink fruit to your Adventure Sheet. The dried stink fruit will restore up to 2 STAMINA points each when consumed.)
     You keep heading on for the mill. Turn to 64.

I will leave the choice on which items to take to a vote.

The mill is quiet when you reach it. Perhaps the workers were sent home after the explosion. You look up at the windmill. There’s no breeze, so the sails are still. There’s a loud whooshing sound and what looks like a mini cyclone emerges from the structure. Before you know it, you’re flung on to the ground (lose 2 STAMINA points) and find yourself being pulled across the ground towards the swirling mass. Turn to 104.

The whirling mass lifts you higher into the air. Higher and higher. Even if you had charge left in your hovers, they wouldn’t help you in the midst of this chaotic wind.
     You struggle and flail against the invisible force. Then suddenly you’re falling. You expect to feel the crush of the cold, hard ground, but instead you’re caught in mid-air by ethereal arms.
     The figure floats to the ground and places you down safely.
     “I’m sorry about that,” says the figure. “I had no idea anyone was out here, and the storms can be quite temperamental, especially at the moment.”
     You’re being addressed by a Stormborn – one of the intelligent wind spirits that create and harvest crystals within the storms that rage across the Sea of Tempests. The figure, who you rightly assume to be Methedus, waves his hands through the air like he’s conducting an invisible orchestra and the cyclone slows its whirling and glides towards the windmill. It spreads out over the sails and they creak into life.
     “How may I help you, Officer?”
     You tell Methedus that you’re looking into what happened at the Nimbus.
     “We Stormborn were very concerned by what happened,” he says sadly. “All of us who live and work in Pangaria felt it in every fibre of our beings. That means the amount of elemental energy released must have been immense. Many storm crystals must have been broken.
     “Of course, we tried to reach the Nimbus, but although we can pass safely through the storms that surround it, there is a warding spell around the island preventing Stormborn from entering. Someone clearly doesn’t want us interfering.”
     (Write the codeword Bubble on your Adventure Sheet.)
     If you have the storm crystal shard from Cirrus, turn to 5. If you do not have the storm crystal shard from Cirrus, turn to 205.

Icarus Morningstar does not have the storm crystal shard from Cirrus.

Before you go, Methedus passes you a small crystal. It looks like a blank version of the one you have in your hovers.
     “You might need this. You seem like the type that gets themselves into trouble. There are a lot of nasty energies around and this will withdraw them from an infected creature, just as long as it’s not too far gone. Once an animal’s been taken over entirely, the crystal won’t work. One use only, I’m afraid.” (Add Methedus’s shard to your Adventure Sheet and 1 point to your LUCK score.)
     If you want to look for Hazi on the other side of the market, and haven’t done so already, turn to 351. If you want to find the local Goblin flyer and head for one of the other islands, turn to 27.

Icarus Morningstar has already looked for Hazi on the other side of the market, so he will decide to find the local Goblin flyer and head for one of the other islands.

You follow the signs towards where you would expect to find Cumulus’s Goblin flyer, but as you near the dock, you can see no sign of it. At first you think it must be traversing one of its routes, but then you hear a plaintive “Help! Help! Anyone? Anyone?"
     You peer over the edge of the dock and see the Goblin pilot hanging off the edge of some rocks below. The goblin looks very relieved to see you. “Could you possibly give me a hand here?”
     You pull the Goblin to safety and she introduces herself as Daxa.
     “That Nimbus explosion completely took out my flyer,” she explains. “Blew it right down into the ocean. Luckily, I managed to jump out when I did, or I’d probably be in some Great White Squark’s belly by now!”
     You explain that you were hoping to visit the other islands.
     “Well, until I get another flyer, you won’t be able to get to Incus or Asperitas,” Daxa says, sadly. “But I’ll charge your hovers for free and that will get you to Cirrus or Altos. You can take the flyers from there.”
     She points to a long bridge nearby, half shrouded in clouds.
     “Normally you could take the Sky Bridge to Cirrus, but it’s been closed due to some unnatural disturbances around the bridge at this end.” Daxa explains. “Of course, if you can deal with that, I’d be happy to reopen it, especially as my best aeronaut’s helmet got through there during the crash. If you can make the bridge safe again, then the helmet is yours.”
     If you want Daxa to charge your flyers for free and fly to Altos, turn to 342. If you want Daxa to charge your flyers for free and fly to Cirrus, turn to 320. If you want to investigate the Sky Bridge to Cirrus and see if you can find the aeronaut’s helmet, turn to 233.

Please make your votes on what to do next and what items to take from the stallholder before 7:00 PM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
SKILL: 12 INITIAL SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 18 INITIAL STAMINA: 20
LUCK: 12 INITIAL LUCK: 12
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
Healing Potion (+4 STAMINA)
Dav (In Combat, +2 Attack Strength, +1 Damage Dealt, and -1 Damage Taken)
Calming Potion
Coin Bag
Small Jar of Healing Honey (+3 STAMINA)
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Dried Cuttlefish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s shard
GOLD: 13
PROVISONS: 0
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
Ornate Dagger (+1 Attack Strength)
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
HOME ISLAND: Cumulus
RESURRECTION USED: No
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Investigate the bridge at this end for the helmet, I guess.

(Ok, I admit that I often lose track of what's going on in these gamebooks, but this time I don't much care either)

EDIT: Ok, in retrospect being rather negative, but this book just doesn't seem to be starting out well, compared to previous FF entries.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

A delightful sentiment that does much to make running this seem worthwhile, I'm sure.

Fly to Cirrus.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for voting. I am going to break the 1-1 tie by having Icarus Morningstar investigate the Sky Bridge to Cirrus and see if he can find the aeronaut’s helmet. Since there are no votes indicating otherwise, I will also have Icarus Morningstar take the silk cloth and 2 dried stink fruit from the stallholder.

You pluck up the courage and decide to try the Sky Bridge. (If you have Dav with you, he will stay on Cumulus and you will lose your attack and damage bonuses. Adjust this on your Adventure Sheet.)
     You step on to the bridge; it sways gently beneath you. Somehow it feels less safe than wearing the hovers. You take a deep breath and, putting one foot in front of the other, begin to cross.
     You notice that, although you can see the end of the bridge on Cirrus, part of the bridge near Cumulus is shrouded in cloud. As you approach you can hear a hissing sound coming from within. Something long and scaly scythes in and out of the mist. Will you:
     Continue into the mist? Turn to 327.
     Return to Daxa and try another route? Turn to 180.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
STAMINA: 18 INITIAL STAMINA: 20
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
Calming Potion
Coin Bag
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s Shard
Silk Cloth
2 Dried Stink Fruit (+2 STAMINA)
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Continue into the mist.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered; continuing into the mist.

The mist begins to undulate as the hissing creature comes closer

You decide to confront whatever lurks in the mist. As you get closer, the mist begins to undulate as the hissing creature comes closer. It rises out of the fog, lightning rolling off its long, scaly body. It’s a Lightning Serpent, a rare and extremely dangerous beast.
     And now you’re going to have to deal with it.

LIGHTNING SERPENT     SKILL 9     STAMINA 9

If the Lightning Serpent makes a successful strike, roll one die; if you roll a 4 to 6, it does double damage, as forked lightning blasts from its mouth. If you hit it, using a metal weapon, roll one die, and if you roll 5 or 6 you suffer 2 STAMINA points of damage too, as you are electrocuted!
     If you win, turn to 95.

The fight:
Round 1: Lightning Serpent Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 17, Electrocution Roll: 2
Lightning Serpent Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 18
Round 2: Lightning Serpent Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 21, Electrocution Roll: 6
Lightning Serpent Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: Lightning Serpent Attack Strength: 21, Player Attack Strength: 17, Forked Lightning Roll: 6
Lightning Serpent Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 12
Round 4: Lightning Serpent Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 23, Electrocution Roll: 2
Lightning Serpent Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 12
Round 5: Lightning Serpent Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 21, Electrocution Roll: 1
Lightning Serpent Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 12
Round 6: Lightning Serpent Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 18, Electrocution Roll: 5
Lightning Serpent Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 10

Icarus Morningstar kills the Lightning Serpent, but takes 8 Stamina points worth of damage from the electrocution and the forked lightning attack that hits our hero.

As you dispense the killing blow, the Lightning Serpent sinks back into the mist, which melts away, leaving the bridge swaying in the bright sunshine. At your feet you see Daxa’s aeronaut’s helmet. You pick it up and put it on, grateful that Goblins have surprisingly large heads for their size. You feel better protected and you notice that there’s a crystal visor built into the helmet. You flip the visor down and your vision becomes much sharper. You realize it must be magically enhanced.
     Wearing the aeronaut’s helmet will permanently add 1 point to your SKILL score, even if this takes it beyond its Initial level. Also, if you suffer a hit from a weapon in battle, roll one die and on a roll of 5 or 6, you may reduce the damage done by 1 STAMINA point. (Add the aeronaut’s helmet to your Adventure Sheet.)
     With the bridge now open, you can continue to Cirrus. Turn to 232.

With the bridge now open, you step on to the pleasant isle of Cirrus, which produces much of the magically enhanced fruit, vegetables and grains that feed Pangaria. You’re nervous about what the magical energy released by Nimbus may have done to the vegetation. You look around and spot a plume of blue-green smoke in the distance. You also realize that the local Watchhouse is not too far away. That might be worth visiting for supplies.
     To investigate the plume of blue-green smoke, turn to 137. To investigate the local Watchhouse, turn to 49.

Please make your votes before 7:00 PM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
STAMINA: 10 INITIAL STAMINA: 20
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
Calming Potion
Coin Bag
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s Shard
Silk Cloth
2 Dried Stink Fruit (+2 STAMINA)
Aeronaut’s Helmet (+1 SKILL, can go above Initial level, -1 damage taken from weapons in combat on a roll of 5 or 6)
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Visit watchhouse.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Investigate the plume of smoke. And eat a dried stink fruit (extremely appetizing name).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your votes. I will break the 1-1 tie by having Icarus Morningstar investigate the plume of blue-green smoke. I will also have him eat a dried stink fruit, since that was also requested.

You make your way across Cirrus towards the blue-green plume of smoke. Worried farmers approach you asking about what happened on Nimbus. All you can tell them is to keep calm, stay indoors and that the Sky Watch is looking into it. You manage to sound more convincing than you feel.
     When you reach the edge of the field that is the source of the smoke plume, you realize that it’s not smoke at all but a swirling blue-green mist, which is coming from a large storm crystal shard that is half-embedded in the middle of a cabbage field, close to a small shed. It looks like a much bigger version of the one in the hovers nestled on your back, although it’s very cracked and clearly badly damaged. It must have landed here after the explosion on the Nimbus.
     If you want to charge up your hovers’ storm crystal and Silas is with you, turn to 51.
     If you want to charge up your hovers’ storm crystal and Silas is not with you, turn to 211.
     If you want to investigate the shed, turn to 376.

Silas is not with Icarus Morningstar. Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
STAMINA: 12 INITIAL STAMINA: 20
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
Calming Potion
Coin Bag
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s Shard
Silk Cloth
Dried Stink Fruit (+2 STAMINA)
Aeronaut’s Helmet (+1 SKILL, can go above Initial level, -1 damage taken from weapons in combat on a roll of 5 or 6)
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Investigate the shed.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Investigate random thingy.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; investigating the shed.

On the way to the shed you pass by an empty wooden frame. A crow perches on it, preening itself. It caws angrily and takes flight when a large cabbage is hurled at it. A straw-filled figure lumbers out from behind the shed. It’s the frame’s original occupant, an enraged Scarecrow. It plucks a couple of heavy-looking cabbages and aims them at your head.

SCARECROW     SKILL 6     STAMINA 5

If you win, turn to 271.

The fight:
Round 1: Scarecrow Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 25
Scarecrow Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 12
Round 2: Scarecrow Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 18
Scarecrow Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 12
Round 3: Scarecrow Attack Strength: 8, Player Attack Strength: 16
Scarecrow Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 12

As expected, Icarus Morningstar flawlessly defeats the Scarecrow.

The scarecrow explodes in a ball of straw and cabbages. You breathe a sigh of relief. You’ve heard that cabbage leaves can be soothing, so you take two with you just in case. (Record the cabbage leaves on your Adventure Sheet, noting that each will restore 2 STAMINA points when used.)
     Now you can reach the little shed, you find a small hand axe and a Calming Potion inside. (Record these items on your Adventure Sheet.)
     If you want to head to the north of Cirrus and search for a Goblin flyer, turn to 255. If you want to visit the local Watchhouse, if you haven’t already done so, turn to 49.

Icarus Morningstar has not already visited the local Watchhouse. Please make your votes before 7:00 PM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
2 Calming Potions
Coin Bag
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s Shard
Silk Cloth
2 Cabbage Leaves (+2 STAMINA)
Hand Axe
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

To the watchhouse.

(Why couldn't they just use provisions like the previous books, and instead have to list different, but mechanically much the same, types of food? Could have just specified the form of the provisions if they wanted the names.)
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Visit the Watchhouse.

Amazingly healing cabbage leaves which were once part of a homicidal scarecrow.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes acknowledged; visiting the local Watchhouse.

You head for the Watchhouse. There must be something you can scavenge there.
     You’re passing by a field of gently waving corn when you become aware of a growing chittering sound. The sound gets louder and louder as more creatures join in. The stalks begin to ripple as something surges towards you and erupts out of the corn.
     It’s a horde of Corn Rats. These usually peaceful pests have been aggravated by the surge of energy from the explosion on Nimbus and have ditched their regular vegetarian diet for something a little meatier – you!

RABID RAT HORDE     SKILL 6     STAMINA 10

If you win, turn to 109.

The fight:
Round 1: Rabid Rat Horde Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 23
Rabid Rat Horde Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 12
Round 2: Rabid Rat Horde Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 23
Rabid Rat Horde Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 12
Round 3: Rabid Rat Horde Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 21
Rabid Rat Horde Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 12
Round 4: Rabid Rat Horde Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 20
Rabid Rat Horde Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 12
Round 5: Rabid Rat Horde Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 21
Rabid Rat Horde Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 12

To nobody’s surprise, Icarus Morningstar flawlessly exterminates the Rabid Rat Horde.

The rabid Corn Rats lay slain at your feet. You notice two ears of ripe corn have fallen to the ground during the battle. (Add 2 ears of corn to the Provisions Box on your Adventure Sheet; each one will restore 3 STAMINA points when eaten.)
     To continue to the Watchhouse, turn to 243.

When you reach the Watchhouse, you notice that some grapevines from the local vineyard seem to be growing closer to the building than you remember. You hurry inside.
     The emptiness within reminds you of the loss of your friends and fellow recruits in the Sky Watch. You fervently hope that they still might be alive.
     You head for the barracks, hoping that some of the recruits’ chests might be open so you can search them for any useful supplies.
     If Cirrus is your home island, turn to 15. If Cirrus is not your home island, turn to 123.

Cirrus is not Icarus Morningstar’s home island.

Checking all the chests, you discover that one of them is unlocked.
     If you want to search the unlocked chest, turn to 371. If you want to leave the Watchhouse, turn to 335.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
2 Calming Potions
Coin Bag
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s Shard
Silk Cloth
Hand Axe
2 Ears of Corn (+3 STAMINA)
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Better raw corn than ex-scarecrow cabbage.

Leave the watchhouse. I'm dubious that the mysteriously unlocked chest is safe.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I think you said anyone can vote? If so, I say open the chest. Facing and overcoming danger is the path to victory! We have so many +stamina items that even if it has a poison needle or some other auto-damage I think we can get the loot and get back to full health.
-This space intentionally left blank
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Indeed anyone can vote. Because there is a tie and because I don’t have access to the book right now, I will extend the voting deadline to 6:00 PM PST.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Search the chest, doing things is more interesting than not, and as mentioned, we have stamina boosts.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted; searching the unlocked chest won over leaving the Watchhouse by a 2-1 vote.

You wonder briefly why the chest has been left unopened, but when you lift the lid, you get your answer. The chest bites down on your hand (lose 2 STAMINA points and 1 SKILL point) and starts to bark and growl at you. It snaps its lid aggressively.
     If you have a Calming Potion and want to use it now, cross it off your Adventure Sheet and turn to 130. If not, you are going to have to fight the Chest Creature.

CHEST CREATURE     SKILL 5     STAMINA 6

If you win, turn to 130.

Please make your votes on whether to use a Calming Potion before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Icarus Morningstar
SKILL: 11 INITIAL SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 10 INITIAL STAMINA: 20
ITEMS:
Clothes
Backpack
Lantern
Hovers
2 Calming Potions
Coin Bag
Dried Fish (+2 STAMINA)
Methedus’s Shard
Silk Cloth
Hand Axe
2 Ears of Corn (+3 STAMINA)
WEAPONS:
Short Sword
CODEWORDS:
Hazi
Bubble
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Use calming potion

(Apart from the free hit this one got, these monsters haven't been that tough)
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Don't waste the calming potion.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

There are two of them. I tend to hoard consumables, but I"m trying to get better about it. In the context of being a better person, even at the risk of wasting it, I vote use the calming potion.

Also, while we will most likely win a combat, if this thing is dealing skill damage that's no joke. Probably not a waste...
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Oh, and in that vein I'd like to eat 2 ears of corn when we're permitted to. I belive that those items we can use without a specific choice and they deal their effect without a page turn?