[Let's Play] Sorcery Warrior 2 - Kharé, Cityport of Traps

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Sorcery Warrior 2 - Kharé, Cityport of Traps

Post by Beroli »

Further along the street, you pass a small chapel. From the noises inside, you would guess a meeting of some kind is going on.

Go into the chapel?
Walk past it?

Name: Jason Beckett Mordred
Sex: Male
Skill: 11/11
Stamina: 17/19
Luck: 10/11
Weapon: Sword
Inventory: Blimberry Juice (+3 Stamina), beeswax, silver key, Borrinskin boots, Ragnar's Armband of Swordmastery (+2 Attack Strength when using a sword), 2 backup swords, torch, tinderbox, green-haired wig, Lucky Talisman (+1 bonus to all Luck tests)
Gold Pieces: 27
Libra's Favor: Not yet used in this adventure
North Gate Spell:
So tumblers two sealed deep inside
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to check the chapel out.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Investigate all the chapel shaped things, and all the non-chapel shaped things as well.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You step into the chapel as a woman and her child are leaving. 'He really is a holy man, Mother,' the little one is saying. 'Salen's brother--the lame one--answered his questions yesterday and his leg was healed! He ran for the first time in his life!' You are intrigued and you enter the meeting hall.

A large number of children and adults are sitting on the floor. At one end, on a platform, is a grey-haired man in white robes talking to the crowd. 'Does anyone else wish to take the test of Slangg?' he asks. 'If you can answer my question, he will grant you any wish. If you cannot, you must renounce your own god and worship Slangg, the God of Malice.'

Take up this challenge?
Leave the chapel?

Inventory: Blimberry Juice (+3 Stamina), beeswax, silver key, Borrinskin boots, Ragnar's Armband of Swordmastery (+2 Attack Strength when using a sword), 2 backup swords, torch, tinderbox, green-haired wig, Lucky Talisman (+1 bonus to all Luck tests)
North Gate Spell:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to accept the challenge.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Half vote for leaving, lest we lose Libra's favour.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I think we're up to the challenge, whatever it is.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Accepting the challenge wins 2 to 0.5.

You raise your hand and accept his challenge. 'And who is your god, stranger?' asks the priest. You tell him. 'Libra, Goddess of Justice? I know nothing of her,' he says. 'You will find Slangg a much more powerful deity. Let us see whether Libra can help you with the challenge of Slangg. If you answer my question correctly, you may ask anything you wish. But if you cannot, you must renounce Libra and become a follower of Slangg. Do you agree?' You nod, and tell him to ask his question.

'Bigfoot the Elder walked south for three furlongs sowing oats, then east for two furlongs sowing corn, then north another five furlongs sowing wheat, and finally south-east for four furlongs sowing hay. Have you got that? Are you ready for the question?'

'The question is...' and here the priest pauses for effect. The tension mounts in his audience. 'The question is....What was his favorite colour?'

You protest and the crowd bursts into laughter. You smile sheepishly as you realize you have been caught by what must be one of his standard hoaxes. He is certainly quite a showman for a priest!

'All right then, Analander,' he starts. How did he know you came from Analand? 'In Bigfoot's family are 6 sons. Bigfoot is nearing the end of his life and wishes to divide his wealth exactly among them. He gives 5 Gold Pieces to his second youngest son, 13 Gold Pieces to his eldest, and 9 to the fourth youngest. How many Gold Pieces did he possess to begin with?'

North Gate Spell:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I assume that Bigfoot distributes his Gold Pieces by decreasing the amount of gold he gives by a fixed amount for each son that he goes from oldest to youngest.

Son 5 has 5 Gold Pieces, Son 3 has 9 Gold Pieces, and Son 1 has 13 Gold Pieces. So each subsequent son has 2 less Gold Pieces than the previous one.

The equation to solve is thus 13+11+9+7+5+3, which totals to 48 Gold Pieces.

I thus vote to answer 48 Gold Pieces.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Makes sense.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The priest cannot hide his disappointment. Apparently the people of Kharé are not trained in the science of mathematics, as you were in Analand. As he has agreed, he will grant you one wish. You ask him what he knows of the spell to open the North Gate of Kharé. 'I am unable to tell you the spell in its entirety,' he says, 'as only the First Noble of Khare knows all four lines. But I can tell you one line, which is: "I bid you, portals, open wide." His audience is amazed at your wisdom and they shout out good wishes as you leave the chapel. Restore your Luck score to its Initial level.

Night is approaching and you have no wish to spend it in the streets of Kharé. You stop a passing woman and ask the way to a nearby inn. 'Head onwards to the port,' she tells you. 'There is an inn that way. But hurry, stranger, for night is approaching.' You thank her for her help and continue. Eventually you reach 'The Wayfarer's Rest' and step inside.
You enter 'The Wayfarer's Rest.' It is a noisy, bustling place and no one takes much notice as you enter. The innkeeper is behind the bar, trying to serve the numerous creatures all demanding their ale at the same time. The inn is evidently a local for the sailors of the port, as salty types and buxom wenches are laughing together and singing shanties around the tables. You manage to catch the innkeeper's attention. He is a surly, bald-headed man, used to dealing with the rabble from the docks and is surprised at your dress and obviously well-educated tone. 'And what would be yer purpose in these 'ere parts?' he asks. You explain you would like a bed for the night, perhaps with some food, and ask the price. 'A room up top'll be 4 Pieces of Gold,' he says. 'And we'll feed you to the gills fer another 4.'

Flanker is here.

A familiar voice hails you from the other end of the room. 'Ahoy there, my fellow traveller!' says the voice. You turn and grin as you recognize the face of Flanker the Assassin. 'Friend, I cannot stay with you here,' he says-–he was just leaving with two other dubious-looking characters. 'But how have things been with you since we last met? You'll find rest here-–but are you short of cash? I've just had a run of luck at the Vlada Gambling Halls! Tonight I'm flush! Here, have enough for a drink and a room'-–he gives you 5 Gold Pieces-–'Watch the ale here, though. One mug is refreshing, two will make you merry, but three will put you out for the night! Anyway, be seeing you again!' He rejoins his companions and they all leave with linked arms, skipping and singing. You assume he has had two mugs of ale!

Eat before you rest?
Hire a room but don't eat?
Leave?

Gold Pieces: 32
North Gate Spell:
I bid you, portals, open wide
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat, as our hero has no food at the moment.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, might as well top stamina up.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Makes sense.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You pay the innkeeper for the food. He disappears into a back room and comes back with a large plate of steaming grub. 'There ye go,' he laughs, 'and there's more if ye'll be needin' it.' You take the plate and sit down at a table to eat your meal. This is your first meal today, so you restore 2 Stamina points. As you are eating, a rough-looking sailor comes over and sits down with you. He tries to make conversation, but you are more intent on eating. Then he offers to buy you a mug of ale and you decide to accept. You finish your meal and sup the ale. Restore 1 STAMINA point for the drink. You start to talk to him and he asks of your quest. You tell him you are trying to find the spell which will open the North Gate. 'Oi'd loike ter 'elp yer,' he says, 'but ter foind the loin yer needs, ye'll 'ave ter kill the undead, an that ain't moi oidear of a fair foight. 'Ow about s'more ale?'

Accept his offer and continue the conversation?
Head for bed?

Stamina: 19/19
Gold Pieces: 28
North Gate Spell:
Prince

Continue the conversation.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure, I also vote to continue the conversation.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Keep talking.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

He buys you another mug of ale and you drink again with him. Restore 2 STAMINA points as you are now getting quite light-headed and the two of you are laughing together. He knows the cityport well. You press him for more information on the holders of the spell lines, but apart from telling you that one of the people you seek fell recently out of favor with the Third Noble of Kharé (rumoured to be a Vampire) and is now cursed with living death, he knows little. You are interested in a story of one of his friends who tried to talk to Courga, one of the gods, and was killed in the temple for daring to kiss the god on the cheek. He tells you also of some of his adventures on the high seas. He offers another drink.

Instead offer to buy him one?
Say you must be getting some sleep?

North Gate Spell:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Say that our hero needs some sleep, as he needs to get rid of his drunk feelings ASAP.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, off to bed.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Will you now pay the innkeeper 4 Gold Pieces for a room?
Or spend the night on the street?

North Gate Spell:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to pay for a room, as the street is just trouble.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, pay for a room.