[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 63 - Stormslayer

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should we name our heroine?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:33 am

Ororo Munroe
No votes
Lisbeth Salander
No votes
Ororo Salander
20%
Lisbeth Munroe?
80%

Total votes: 5

SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 63 - Stormslayer

Post by SGamerz »

STAMINA restored to max after eating 4 meals
Taking a deep breath, you step into the cloud. You can barely see your hand in front of your face, partly because the stinging gas is making your eyes water. You press on regardless but the cloud shows no sign of dissipating any time soon. And then you can hold your breath no longer and involuntarily take in a great breath of the noisome smoke. You start to cough, finding it harder and harder to breathe. You stumble onwards, not knowing if you could make it back the other way before you pass out, and then suddenly, mercifully, you pass out of the gas cloud and fall to your knees, taking in great lungfuls of clean air. You suffer no long-term ill effects from the gas cloud other than your streaming eyes. For the duration of the next battle you have to fight, you must reduce your Attack Strength by 1 point. Having recovered your breath, will you turn left or right?
Turns out that we didn't take any STAMINA damage from this.

The weird part of "reduce stats for next battle/stat stats" rule which has been used in a few books before is that the penalty can vary from just 1 section later to several days later in-game, if you manage to avoid any combats or stat test for a long period of time.

Why way now?

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Lisbeth Munroe
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 19/19
LUCK 7/8
Equipment: Backpack, Leather Armour, Lantern and Tinderbox, Wyrmbiter (+2 Attack Strength & +1 damage against dragonkind), Dragon Tattoo, Hunting Horn, Potion of Giant Strength (+2 SKILL and 1 damage when drink before battle), Rope and Grapple, Potion of Levitation, Warhammer (does +1 damage after hitting an opponent if 5-6 is rolled on 1d6), Clay Statuette ('Arkolith'), Sun Talisman, Breathing Helmet, Dragon Shield, Shell of the Seas (12 spines, 'Oceanus'), Bag of blackpowder and shots, Fire Crystal ('I')
Provisions: 2/10
Gold: 1
Day of the Week:
Stormsday
Moonsday
Fireday
Earthday
Windsday
Seaday
Highday
Codewords: Mortsleam, Enihcam, Noollab
Time Track:
Damage:
Notes:
1) For as long as Brokk is with you in the Fathomdeep Mine, if you find yourself reading a paragraph that has an asterisk (*) next to the number, subtract 50 from that reference and turn to the new paragraph to see what Brokk has to tell you. Brokk will also join in any battles you face underground. When faced with two opponents, you need only fight the first one to win the battle, as the Dwarf will do away with the other with his battle-axe. His attributes are SKILL 10, STAMINA 8. If you face only one opponent you will gain two Attacks, both of which can injure that opponent. In this case, if injuries are sustained they will only affect you on a dice roll of 1-3.
2) To call on the West Wind, intone his name, Zephyrus - may only be done once
Extra Lives remaining: 2/7
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go left of course. There is zero reason to take the fascist path.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

May as well.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, turn left.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The tunnel steadily widens and its roof extends away above you, until you find yourself at the end of a narrow causeway, which crosses the great lake of a magma reservoir. The lava bubbles and bursts sending geysers of fire shooting into the scalding air of the cave. Do you want to risk crossing the causeway to get across the cavern, or will you return to the junction and go the other way?
Queen of Swords
Prince

Cross the causeway.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Risk crossing.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to risk crossing the causeway.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You do your best to avoid the gouting flames and showers of molten rock, but they are totally unpredictable. Roll one die and add 1; this is the number of STAMINA points you must lose as your body is burnt by the fiery eruptions. However, if you have a Dragon Tattoo, or if you drank a Potion of Fire Protection before entering the tunnels, you may reduce this damage by 1 point. If you have a Dragon Shield you may reduce the damage by 1 more point, and if you are wearing a Wyrmskin Cloak, reduce it by 2 points. All of these reductions are cumulative, so if you drank the potion, have the shield and the cloak, you can reduce the damage by up to 4 points.

If you are still alive, you make it to the other side of the causeway only to find that you have reached a dead-end (Lose 1 LUCK point.) You have no choice but to cross the cavern again to return to the tunnel to proceed. Roll one die again, but this time deduct 1; this is the number of STAMINA points you lose this time. Just as before, the tattoo, shield, cloak and potion can reduce the damage suffered accordingly. If you survive this second crossing, turn to 245.
Bad choice, but at least we can reduce 2 points of the damage with our tattoo and shield.

1st crossing: die roll 1+1-1-1 = 0! We take no damage!

2nd crossing: die roll = 5-1-1-1 = 2 damage.
The tunnel you are following eventually brings you to steps hewn from the rock that lead down into the very heart of the volcano. The steps bring you into a vast chamber. Beneath you is a vast lake of boiling magma. It is all you can do to not succumb to the exhausting heat of the chamber. The rock-cut staircae comes to an end upon a spur of black rock that just out over the seething lake. Another set of steps, like the ones you have just descended, leads down to the spur from the opposite side of the chamber. The spur feels hot beneath your feet. You approach the altar-like plinth of black rock that stands at the end of the spur, and see six curiously-shaped holes carved into the top of it.

Suddenly, the magma surges violently and a column of flame shoots twenty metres into the cooked air of the chamber. You recoil instinctively, throwing up an arm to shield yourself from the incandescent flames. Squinting against the blistering light you see the jet of flame widen and take on a roughly humanoid shape, like a genie of flame. A voice, like the blazing roar of a conflagration, echoes around the magma chamber. "Who dares desecrate this sanctuary of the Fire God?" the Fire Elemental bellows, and you feel its unbearable hot breath on your face.

Speaking up confidently, you tell the Elemental your name, shouting to be heard over the roar of the flames and the bubbling of the magma, and go on to explain why you have braved the perils of Mount Pyre to reach the sacred shrine of the Fire God.

"You have the audacity to demand assistance from a true servant of the Burning One?" the Fire Elemental rages. "Then you will pay for that audacity with your worthless life!"

You are going to have to act fast if you are to avoid being burned alive by the furious Elemental. if you have six Fire Crystals, turn the letters associated with them into numbers using the code A=1, B=2, C=3...Z=26. Add the numbers together and then turn to the paragraph which is the same as the total. if the paragraph does not begin with the words, 'Invoking the power of the God of Fire,' or you do not have six Fire Crystals, turn to 214.
Oh dear, we only found 1 out of the 6 Fire Crystals, clearly not enough...
The Fire Elemental roars towards you, its body a ball of incandescent flame. Once again you are forced to rely on your enchanted blade.

FIRE ELEMENTAL SKILL 12 STAMINA 16

If you somehow manage to defeat the Elemental power that dwells at the heart of Mount Pyre, turn to 114.
A SKILL 12 opponent...and we're still under -1 Attack Strength penalty from passing through that noxious cloud. Even if we use the Potion of Giant Strength, we're still at a disadvantage.

And we can't even use the Warhammer here, since we need our enchanted sword to harm a Fire Elemental.

Do we use the potion here? Use our LUCK for this battle (although note that it's now at 6 after losing one point from the dead-end we just visited)?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 17/19
LUCK: 6/8
Equipment: Backpack, Leather Armour, Lantern and Tinderbox, Wyrmbiter (+2 Attack Strength & +1 damage against dragonkind), Dragon Tattoo, Hunting Horn, Potion of Giant Strength (+2 SKILL and 1 damage when drink before battle), Rope and Grapple, Potion of Levitation, Warhammer (does +1 damage after hitting an opponent if 5-6 is rolled on 1d6), Clay Statuette ('Arkolith'), Sun Talisman, Breathing Helmet, Dragon Shield, Shell of the Seas (12 spines, 'Oceanus'), Bag of blackpowder and shots, Fire Crystal ('I')
Provisions: 2/10
Day of the Week:
Stormsday
Moonsday
Fireday
Earthday
Windsday
Seaday
Highday
Time Track:
Damage:
Notes:
1) For as long as Brokk is with you in the Fathomdeep Mine, if you find yourself reading a paragraph that has an asterisk (*) next to the number, subtract 50 from that reference and turn to the new paragraph to see what Brokk has to tell you. Brokk will also join in any battles you face underground. When faced with two opponents, you need only fight the first one to win the battle, as the Dwarf will do away with the other with his battle-axe. His attributes are SKILL 10, STAMINA 8. If you face only one opponent you will gain two Attacks, both of which can injure that opponent. In this case, if injuries are sustained they will only affect you on a dice roll of 1-3.
Extra Lives remaining: 2/7
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sigh, I think we're dead. I vote to use the potion and only use Luck if it can help our hero survive a lethal blow.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, use the potion.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

May as well, we aren't going to win anyway.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Lisbeth downs the Potion of Giant Strength, giving her a +2 SKILL and +1 damage bonus for the next combat.

COMBAT LOG:
Fire Elemental 21, Lisbeth Munroe 15. LM is at 15.
FE 20, LM 12. LM is at 13.
FE 16, LM 18. FE is at 13.
FE 22, LM 15. LM is at 11.
FE 20, LM 16. LM is at 9.
FE 17, LM 18. FE is at 10.
FE 23, LM 20. LM is at 7.
FE 16, LM 17. FE is at 7.
FE 22, LM 13. LM is at 5.
FE 14, LM 18. FE is at 4.
FE 21, LM 18. LM is at 3.
FE 18, LM 16. LM is at 1.
FE 19, LM 21. FE is at 1.
FE 18, LM 14. LM is killed.

A close thing, but we lost.

Using 1 live now means I will undo the trip to the dead end and give us 2 extra STAMINA and 1 extra LUCK, but we will still come right back to this fight without the necessary items to avoid fighting the Fire Elemental. (Not to mention if we lose again, we won't have enough lives for any more rewinds). Or you may spend the last 2 lives to rewind further back. A few options on that:

1. Rewind to the start of the Mount Pyre tunnels and try to find all the Fire Crystals, but do note that we missed 5 of them, so the chances of doing so is not that high.

2. Rewind to the end of the Eelsea quest and this time skip the Mount Pyre part altogether. Again, this is a legit option, and not having completed all 4 elemental quests will not lead to auto-fail (although obviously we will lack the fire elemental's aid when we face Sturm).

3. If you have the patience, you can rewind even further to close to the beginning of the elemental quests and this time try to use the knowledge we already have to optimize our options to gain more gold so that we can actually buy some of the bonus equipment we saw but couldn't afford.

4. Or you may go even further back and try to follow the trace of Sturm's ship back to its starting point. Or visit the elemental quests in a different order, although that obviously carries the most risks into the unknown.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Ouch.

I half vote to search for all of the fire crystals, as I do not think our hero will be able to survive the final battle without all four elemental boosts, since she has mediocre Skill and Luck. My rewind choice under that scenario would be to keep to the current course after checking out the nest (so paragraph 249) to see if resisting fascism at that moment would pay off.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since we're down to our last rewind chance, I'd prefer more than 1 vote before proceeding, just as I tend to do regarding use of resources like provisions. But if there's no other by tomorrow, I'd proceed with rewinding to the entrance of Mount Pyre's entrance.

I also want to point out that "checking out the nest" got us nothing except extra STAMINA losses, so it makes no sense to repeat that particular option even if we come across it again.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

SGamerz wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:11 pm
Since we're down to our last rewind chance, I'd prefer more than 1 vote before proceeding, just as I tend to do regarding use of resources like provisions. But if there's no other by tomorrow, I'd proceed with rewinding to the entrance of Mount Pyre's entrance.

I also want to point out that "checking out the nest" got us nothing except extra STAMINA losses, so it makes no sense to repeat that particular option even if we come across it again.
Yeah, I am honestly not sure how far back the community is willing to go for this book, which is why I only made my vote a half one.

That's a good point, and if we choose to rewind back to Mount Pyre, I vote to avoid checking out the nest.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, let’s go back to the entrance of Mount Pyre.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Makes sense.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Rewinding back to the point where we first entered Mount Pyre (which means our STAMINA is back down to 11 after that fight with the Hobgoblin horde).
You climb higher and higher towards the summit of the volcano. The terrain gets rougher until you are scrambling through a landscape of nothing but black rocks and steaming volcanic vents. Sulphurous steam rises from holes in the ground which feels warm beneath your feet. Still far above stands the smoke-belching crater of Mount Pyre, a column of soot and ash continually rising from it into the sky.

Rounding the side of a monolithic boulder, you find what you have been looking for - an incongruous, carved archway of black rock, set into the side of the volcanic peak - the entrance to the Fire Tunnels. The means with which to defeat Sturm's bound Greater Fire Elemental lies within, you are sure of it. Having made any preparations you think are necessary, after making the strenuous climb to Mount Pyre's peak, you pass beneath the stone arch.

A long tunnel leads away towards the heart of the volcano, looking like it has been gnawed through the rock by some massive burrowing beetle. The walls of the tunnel glow with ambient heat, and in places flames break forth from the rocks strewing the sides of the tunnel, lighting the way ahead. The tunnel twists and turns until eventually you reach a T-junction where it joins another curving passageway. Will you turn left or right?
In this case, we already know that left leads to a fight with the Blisterwing, and after that it's either backtrack or check out the nest (which we know gains us nothing), so we can skip the votes here and head right.
The tunnel slops downwards at a steep gradient, always curving round to the left. It is not long before you reach another junction; a new passageway leads off to your right. If you want to follow this new tunnel, turn to 319. If you would rather keep to your current course, turn to 249.
I already have 1 vote to keep to our current course here. Do the others agree?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 11/19
LUCK 7/8
Equipment: Backpack, Leather Armour, Lantern and Tinderbox, Wyrmbiter (+2 Attack Strength & +1 damage against dragonkind), Dragon Tattoo, Hunting Horn, Potion of Giant Strength (+2 SKILL and 1 damage when drink before battle), Rope and Grapple, Potion of Levitation, Warhammer (does +1 damage after hitting an opponent if 5-6 is rolled on 1d6), Clay Statuette ('Arkolith'), Sun Talisman, Breathing Helmet, Dragon Shield, Shell of the Seas (12 spines, 'Oceanus'), Bag of blackpowder and shots
Provisions: 8/10
Day of the Week:
Stormsday
Moonsday
Fireday
Earthday
Windsday
Seaday
Highday
Time Track:
Damage:
Notes:
Extra Lives remaining: 0/7
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I would also like to vote to eat two Provisions in addition to keeping to the current course this time in order to get our hero fully ready for any combats that she may encounter.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second eating twice.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The tunnel keeps curving to the left on its way down into the volcano until it finally comes to a dead-end within a small cavern. The walls of the cave are suffused with red light. Lying on the far side of the cave is the blackened skeleton of some large reptilian creature, although whether it is that of a Basilisk, a Salamander or something else, you do not know. Lying within the cage formed by the skeleton's rubs is a prism-shaped quartz crystal, which glows with the same lambient light as the cavern walls. If you want to venture into the cave to claim the crystal, turn to 269. If you would rather retrace your steps to the last junction, turn to 319.
Do we think this is one of the crystals we're looking for?
Queen of Swords
Prince

Get the crystal.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to venture into the cave to claim the crystal.