[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 63 - Stormslayer

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should we name our heroine?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:33 am

Ororo Munroe
No votes
Lisbeth Salander
No votes
Ororo Salander
20%
Lisbeth Munroe?
80%

Total votes: 5

Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 63 - Stormslayer

Post by Thaluikhain »

May as well.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Rock formations in the roof and floor lend the tunnel the appearance of a gaping maw. Suddenly a gout of flame erupts from between the stone jaws as has and flames vent from elsewhere within the volcano. You observe the bursts of flame for a few minutes, trying to see if there is a pattern, so that you can pass through when it's safe. However, as far as you can tell, there is no pattern. If you are going to proceed any further, you are going to have to pass between the jaws and risk being burned. If you want to pass between the stone jaws, turn to 382. If you would rather not tempt fate, you will have to go back the other way.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Pass between the jaws, there's got to be another fire crystal here somewhere.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to pass between the jaws.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I guess.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Boldy, you leap through the open stone teeth of the fiery maw. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you pass through unscathed. If you are Unlucky you are caught in the middle of a fiery blast. Lose 4 STAMINA points. (If you have a Dragon Tattoo, or you drank a Potion of Fire Protection before entering these tunnels, you may reduce this damage by 1 point. If you have a Dragon Shield you may reduce the damage by 1 more point, and if you are wearing a Wyrmskin Cloak, reduce it by 2 points. All of these reductions are cumulative, so if you have the tattoo, drank the potion and have the shield, you can reduce the damage up to 3 points.)

Beyond the maw, the tunnel winds onwards until it comes to an effective dead-end at a sheer drop, at the bottom of which lies a bubbling lake of magma. You cautiously peer over the edge and see a spur of black rock jutting out over the lave lake, which seethes with volcanic activity. You can see an altar-like block at the end of the spur. The heat is unbearable. You don't fancy the idea of trying to climb down the cliff face, burning your hands on the scalding rocks, but it might be possible using a Rope and Grapple. If you have such a thing, and would like to try descending the cliff, turn to 279. If not (or you don't want to make such an attempt) you will have to pass through the maw again and return to the last junction, taking the other route through to the volcano's heart.
With the tattoo and the shield, we only take 1 damage from the blast, it's really not worth spending the LUCK point on the test to avoid it, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an option.

Dice roll = 10 (Unlucky). STAMINA is at 16, LUCK at 6.

Do we want to climb down the cliff?

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Lisbeth Munroe
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 16/19
LUCK 6/8
Equipment: Backpack, Leather Armour, Lantern and Tinderbox, Wyrmbiter (+2 Attack Strength & +1 damage against dragonkind), Dragon Tattoo, Hunting Horn, Potion of Giant Strength (+2 SKILL and 1 damage when drink before battle), Rope and Grapple, Potion of Levitation, Warhammer (does +1 damage after hitting an opponent if 5-6 is rolled on 1d6), Clay Statuette ('Arkolith'), Sun Talisman, Breathing Helmet, Dragon Shield, Shell of the Seas (12 spines, 'Oceanus'), Bag of blackpowder and shots, Fire Crystals x3 ('F', 'I', 'L')
Provisions: 4/10
Gold: 1
Day of the Week:
Stormsday
Moonsday
Fireday
Earthday
Windsday
Seaday
Highday
Codewords: Mortsleam, Enihcam, Noollab
Time Track:
Damage:
Notes:
1) For as long as Brokk is with you in the Fathomdeep Mine, if you find yourself reading a paragraph that has an asterisk (*) next to the number, subtract 50 from that reference and turn to the new paragraph to see what Brokk has to tell you. Brokk will also join in any battles you face underground. When faced with two opponents, you need only fight the first one to win the battle, as the Dwarf will do away with the other with his battle-axe. His attributes are SKILL 10, STAMINA 8. If you face only one opponent you will gain two Attacks, both of which can injure that opponent. In this case, if injuries are sustained they will only affect you on a dice roll of 1-3.
2) To call on the West Wind, intone his name, Zephyrus - may only be done once
Extra Lives remaining: 0/7
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

We would take 2 damage, as the tattoo and the shield only reduce damage by 1 point each.

I vote to descend the cliff.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:43 pm
We would take 2 damage, as the tattoo and the shield only reduce damage by 1 point each.
You are right, but it doesn't matter at this point:
Hooking the grapple over a spike of rock, you let the rope drop over the edge of the cliff and warily begin your descent. The lower you go the hotter it becomes; sweat pours off your body. But that is the least of your problems. You suddenly feel the rope give and look up. The rope has caught fire above you and one by one the strands are burning through. You quickly start to ascend again but there is not enough time. The rope burns through completely before you can reach safety, dropping you into the bubbling lava lake below. In seconds there is nothing left of you, not even your skeleton, as Mount Pyre consumes you. Your adventure is over!
And this is the end of Lisbeth Munroe!

To be honest, unless you are very sure about where to find all the Fire Crystals, it's legitimately a better strategy to skip Mount Pyre altogether. Facing whatever Sturm throws at you without the Fire Elemental's help is actually easier than facing the Fire Elemental itself without the crystals...not to mention even if you defeat the Fire Elemental in combat somehow, you still won't gain his help. You just go through an extra tough combat for zero benefits and still have to face Sturm without its aid later. Better to save your STAMINA and resources for that. And I reiterate that you don't actually have to visit all the 4 places to win the book, although it helps if you can get most of the Elementals' aid. Mount Pyre is probably the toughest of the 4 areas to navigate successfully.

Are you guys interested in trying again with another character? Although the 4 Elemental zones remain the same on replays, there's actually decent replay value to this book. Like I mentioned, it actually matters where you're travelling to and from for each zone. Travelling to Eelsea from Mount Pyre for example will give you different encounters than if you travel there from the Howling Plains, which is why I find it weird that this is actually one of the few FF books that doesn't give you a map (whereas quite a few older books in the series feature maps that aren't used/useful at all). Also tracking the airship back to its origins at the beginning of the book gives you another different set of encounters and a different starting point (although they still eventually point you in the direction of the 4 elemental zones).

Any takers?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for running this, SGamerz. I personally would like to take a break for this book for now, as I think the journey was long enough as it is. I would maybe be open to playing this book at a later time.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Thanks for all the effort in running this, and yeah, we came a long way, best to end the story for now, I think.