[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 60 – Eye of the Dragon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Queen of Swords
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 60 – Eye of the Dragon

Post by Queen of Swords »

Try lifting the lid.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Lift the lid.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; lifting the lid off the chest.

Taking one end of the heavy lid each, Littlebig and you strain to lift it. Huffing and puffing, with one mighty heave you manage to lift it a centimetre and slide it on to the floor. It lands with a crash, breaking into several large pieces. Something starts to rise out of the chest and now you realize it is not a chest but a stone coffin. An armoured skeleton with a golden crown on its skull steps out of the coffin brandishing a long sword.

SKELETON KING       SKILL 9       STAMINA 7

Edged weapons like swords and daggers do little harm to Skeletons. You will only cause it to lose 1 STAMINA point during a successful Attack Round. But in each Attack Round you have two attacks to the Skeleton King’s one because Littlebig can fight too. If you win, turn to 399.

Sinbad starts the fight at 5 Stamina, so should Luck be used to increase his chances of survival? If so, should it be used to reduce the damage that our hero takes or to inflict additional damage?

The first choice to receive two votes will be used to resolve the rest of the battles. If no option has a winning margin before 9:00 AM PDT, I will make the choice based on which votes are cast.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

He takes one extra round to kill than us, so I say use LUCK to increase damage once. Our LUCK isn't high enough to risk too many tests.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for voting. Luck will be used once to try to increase damage Sinbad deals to the Skeleton King.

The fight:
Round 1: Skeleton King Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 17, Littlebig Attack Strength: 17;
Skeleton King Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 3
Round 2: Skeleton King Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 16, Littlebig Attack Strength: 17;
Luck Roll: 9, Player is Unlucky and deals 1 less damage
Skeleton King Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 3, Player Luck: 6
Round 3: Skeleton King Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 22, Littlebig Attack Strength: 20;
Skeleton King Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 3
Round 4: Skeleton King Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 17, Littlebig Attack Strength: 19;
Skeleton King Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 3
Round 5: Skeleton King Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 16, Littlebig Attack Strength: 19;
Skeleton King Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 1
Round 6: Skeleton King Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 23, Littlebig Attack Strength: 21;
Skeleton King Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 1

Well Sinbad gets Unlucky in the one attempt to increase damage and gets hit twice to bring him down to 1 STAMINA, but he and Littlebig manage to destroy the Skeleton King.

You step over the broken bones of the Skeleton King and look inside the coffin. There is a lot of dirt and debris but also something that looks very interesting. It is a golden orb that has two bands of diamond-shaped pieces of mother of pearl running around it. If you want to pick up the orb, turn to 205. If you would rather leave it where it is and walk on, turn to 156.

Please make your votes before 7:00 PM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Sinbad
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 1 Initial Stamina = 17
LUCK: 6 Initial Luck = 10
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Backpack
9 Provisions
Leather Pouch
50 Gold Pieces
Emerald Eye
Sword
Axe Head
Mirror Piece
Healing Potion
Chain-mail Coat
Gold Nugget
Silver Box
Crystal Dagger
Garlic Cloves
Large Tooth
Bronze Key Stamped With ‘85’
Leather Bag
Dagger
Gold Ring
Lucky Charm
Glass Ball
Broken Dagger
Iron Key Stamped With ‘34’
Short Stick
Leather Pouch
Iron Breastplate
Dried Leaves
Silver Key Stamped With ‘14’
Gold Key Stamped With ‘325’
Staff of Thunder
Bronze Shield
Copper Key Stamped with ‘192’
‘Hole in the Wall’ Spell: Azang Bazang-zang
3 Silver Coins
Silver Armband
Dark Blue Bottle
Rope
Ring of Zombie Control
Silver Cross
Kris Knife
Bronze Monkey Statuette
RESURRECTION USED: No
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Eat four Meals and then pick up the orb.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered; eating 4 Provisions and picking up the orb.

You lift it carefully out of the coffin and are surprised to hear soft music coming from it. You put the orb down on the floor and the music stops. It starts again when you lift it up. You hand it to Littlebig who places it in your backpack and once again it falls silent. ‘How strange,’ says Littlebig. ‘But I’m sure it will come in useful sometime or other. Let’s go.’ Littlebig strides off and you walk on after him. Turn to 156.

The corridor turns sharply right and around the corner you see an iron lever set in the left-hand wall. Littlebig looks at it carefully but does not touch it. ‘Could be a trap,’ he says, again stating the obvious in his now familiar way. If you want to pull down on the handle, turn to 366. If you would rather just keep walking, turn to 44.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Sinbad
STAMINA: 17 Initial Stamina = 17
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Backpack
5 Provisions
Leather Pouch
50 Gold Pieces
Emerald Eye
Sword
Axe Head
Mirror Piece
Healing Potion
Chain-mail Coat
Gold Nugget
Silver Box
Crystal Dagger
Garlic Cloves
Large Tooth
Leather Bag
Dagger
Gold Ring
Lucky Charm
Glass Ball
Broken Dagger
Short Stick
Leather Pouch
Iron Breastplate
Dried Leaves
Staff of Thunder
Bronze Shield
3 Silver Coins
Silver Armband
Dark Blue Bottle
Rope
Ring of Zombie Control
Silver Cross
Kris Knife
Bronze Monkey Statuette
Golden Orb
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Pull handle.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Pull
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; pulling down on the handle.

It takes the strength of both of you to be able to pull the lever down and, as you do so, ten floor stones in the corridor ahead slowly rise up to look like a crooked line of stepping stones.

‘Now do we walk along the top of the stones or avoid them like the plague?’ asks Littlebig.

If you want to walk along the top of the stepping stones, turn to 300. If you want to walk along the corridor floor, turn to 44.

Please make your votes before 7:00 PM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Walk along the stones.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered; walking along the top of the stepping stones.

‘After you,’ Littlebig says with a smile, while bowing in mock deference. You breathe in deeply and jump on to the first stepping stone. To your amazement nothing untoward happens to you. You jump between the stepping stones until you reach the flat corridor floor again. ‘Wait for me!’ Littlebig shouts, as he jumps awkwardly from stone to stone. Despite a couple of wobbly landings, he reaches you safely. Turn to 255.

The corridor turns sharply right again and you see a rough hole in the left-hand wall just big enough for you to climb through. You peer into the hole but can’t really see much in the gloom beyond. Littlebig grabs a flaming torch from its holder on the wall and thrusts it through the hole to reveal a small cave that has been carved out of the rock. Its rough walls are covered with strange drawings and symbols. There are also some chains attached to the wall. If you want to climb through the hole into the cave, turn to 303. If you would rather press on, turn to 108.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Random hole as per usual.

(When I build a dungeon, I'm going to stick random holes with booby traps along corridors and tell the monsters to stay clear)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Press on
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes tallied; climbing through the hole into the cave won over pressing on by a 2-1 vote.

As Littlebig gets close to the writing on the wall, he starts to chuckle to himself. ‘I think this cave used to be an old prison cell,’ Littlebig says. ‘All these symbols are written in dwarf and poke fun at the Half-Orc captors of the poor soul who was held here. Some of them are quite funny. This one says, “Orcs are more stupid than forks.” And this one says “The only good Orc is a dead Orc”. I wonder what happened to the dwarf? Hello, what’s this?’ Littlebig crouches down and looks closely at some symbols inside a circle. ‘It says here “Black Dragon leads to Gold Dragon.” I wonder if that could be the golden dragon we are looking for?’ he says excitedly. A search of the cave reveals nothing else of interest so you climb back out into the corridor and walk on. Turn to 108.

There is a new passageway in the left-hand wall that you see some fifty metres ahead. A hooded figure wearing dark robes suddenly appears from around the corner carrying a black sack over his shoulder. In his right hand you see a long dagger. The figure catches sight of you, stops in his tracks, turns and runs back from where he came. ‘Hey! Come back!’ Littlebig shouts. His cries echo down the corridor but the hooded figure does not return. You decide to give chase and turn left down the new corridor. Turn to 224.

You turn the corner and see the figure running away as fast as he can. ‘Let him go,’ Littlebig shouts, ‘I’ll never catch him. You can chase him on your own but don’t forget to come back for me.’ If you want to let the person escape, turn to 368. If you want to run after him on your own, turn to 99.

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, I will have Sinbad run after him on his own.

Running along after the hooded figure, you do not see two more dark-robed figures hiding in the shadows of a small alcove. As you run past them, one thrusts a wooden staff at your legs, tripping you and sending you crashing to the floor. In an instant they are on top of you, punching and kicking as hard as they can. Lose 1 STAMINA point. You manage to free an arm to land a few blows yourself and stand up to fight the THIEVES one at a time.

First THIEF       SKILL 6       STAMINA 6
Second THIEF       SKILL 7       STAMINA 5

If you win, turn to 382.

The fight:
(First Thief)
Round 1: First Thief Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 18;
First Thief Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 16
Round 2: First Thief Attack Strength: 9, Player Attack Strength: 24;
First Thief Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: First Thief Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 23;
First Thief Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 16

(Second Thief)
Round 1: Second Thief Attack Strength: 10, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Second Thief Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 16
Round 2: Second Thief Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Second Thief Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: Second Thief Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Second Thief Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 16

As expected, Sinbad flawlessly slaughters the two Thieves.

As the second thief falls to the floor, you see that Littlebig is locked in combat with the first hooded figure who came back to rob you. His hood has fallen back off his head to reveal the face of a man with a deep scar running from his eyebrow to his chin and an eye patch over his right eye. He wields his two daggers deftly, cutting and thrusting at Littlebig. But the noble dwarf stands his ground and defeats the thief with a heavy blow to the side of his head. All three of the thieves own swag bags and their contents add up to 7 Gold Pieces, a picklock, a silver cross, a silver pin and two fish hooks. ‘Not much of a haul from three thieves,’ Littlebig says. ‘But these daggers are worth having. I was thinking that the one I was fighting was going to turn out to be Sharcle, but it wasn’t him. I’d know that evil no-gooder if I saw him again. But there’s still plenty of time to get even with him. What goes around comes around!’ After taking the things you want, you set off again. Turn to 368.

Ten minutes later Littlebig gets very excited when he sees two symbols scratched on the left-hand wall. ‘Secret door!’ he says proudly. ‘That’s what it says. A secret door right here! Watch this.’ He taps the symbols with his fingertips and suddenly a door appears in the wall. It opens by itself into a room that looks well equipped for comfort. There are chairs and a table, two beds, shelves piled high with food, water, books and even sheepskin rugs to cover the stone floor. ‘It’s a secret dwarf den,’ Littlebig says proudly. ‘It was built so that dwarves in danger could hide and rest. I haven’t seen this one before. I don’t know about you but I am tired and very hungry. It must be getting late and I could do with a good sleep.’ If you want to sleep in the dwarf den, turn to 123. If you would rather keep on walking, turn to 330.

Please make your votes on what to take from the thieves and what to do next before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice receives 3 votes to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
Sinbad
STAMINA: 16 Initial Stamina = 17
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Backpack
5 Provisions
Leather Pouch
50 Gold Pieces
Emerald Eye
Sword
Axe Head
Mirror Piece
Healing Potion
Chain-mail Coat
Gold Nugget
Silver Box
Crystal Dagger
Garlic Cloves
Large Tooth
Leather Bag
Dagger
Gold Ring
Lucky Charm
Glass Ball
Broken Dagger
Short Stick
Leather Pouch
Iron Breastplate
Dried Leaves
Staff of Thunder
Bronze Shield
3 Silver Coins
Silver Armband
Dark Blue Bottle
Rope
Ring of Zombie Control
Silver Cross
Kris Knife
Bronze Monkey Statuette
Golden Orb
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sleep in the den.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Sleep in the den.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Sleep.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have registered your votes, and it looks like Sinbad will sleep in the dwarf den. Since nobody voted on what to take from the thieves, I will have Sinbad get the 7 Gold Pieces and the picklock from their bodies.

In the safety of the den, you relax and share tales of adventure with Littlebig over plates piled high with delicious food. When you can eat no more, you flop on to your bed and sink into a deep sleep, dreaming, as always, of the golden dragon. Many hours later you wake feeling strong and filled with energy. Add 4 STAMINA points. Littlebig is already sitting at the table eating another plateful of food. ‘I wonder if it is breakfast or dinner time?’ he asks with his cheeks bulging. ‘I’ve completely lost track of time in this dungeon, so I’m having breakfast and dinner!’ All you can manage at this point is an apple that you eat whilst having a good look around the den. A wooden box that has been tucked under one of the beds looks intriguing. You pull it out and open it to find part of an old hand-drawn map of a dungeon. It shows a section of corridor that ends at a junction where a white star is marked in chalk on the wall. An arrow pointing to the right-hand corridor has the word ‘life’ written underneath it and an arrow pointing to the left-hand corridor has the word ‘death’ written underneath it. You fold the map, place it in your pocket and tell Littlebig it’s time to go. Leaving the den you turn left. Turn to 330.

Ahead in the corridor, you see the skeletal figure of a fallen warrior lying face down on the stone floor. He still clutches his sword in his skeletal hand and his body has leather armour over a purple tunic. A leather bag is strapped to his belt and there is a small silver flask around his neck on a silver chain. If you want to take a closer look at the items, turn to 143. If you would rather keep on walking, turn to 212.

Adventure Sheet
Sinbad
STAMINA: 17 Initial Stamina = 17
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Backpack
5 Provisions
Leather Pouch
57 Gold Pieces
Emerald Eye
Sword
Axe Head
Mirror Piece
Healing Potion
Chain-mail Coat
Gold Nugget
Silver Box
Crystal Dagger
Garlic Cloves
Large Tooth
Leather Bag
Dagger
Gold Ring
Lucky Charm
Glass Ball
Broken Dagger
Short Stick
Leather Pouch
Iron Breastplate
Dried Leaves
Staff of Thunder
Bronze Shield
3 Silver Coins
Silver Armband
Dark Blue Bottle
Rope
Ring of Zombie Control
Silver Cross
Kris Knife
Bronze Monkey Statuette
Golden Orb
Picklock
Map
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Take a closer look.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Look at random stuff.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Take a closer look at the items.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; taking a closer look at the items.

While you are cutting through the warrior’s belt to take the leather bag, you feel a sharp pain in your right hand. In the gloom of the corridor you hadn’t noticed that the warrior’s tunic was riddled with fat, maggot-like, flesh-eating worms. Although blind, the acute sense of smell of a FLESH GRUB enables it to target its prey and sink its barbed teeth into exposed flesh. Although these vicious grubs can be pulled off and crushed easily, the number that attack can be a problem. Roll one die and add 6 to the total. This is the number of Flesh Grubs that crawl on to you. Roll two dice to decide how many you kill. If this total is less than the number of Flesh Grubs, turn to 271. If the total is the same or greater than the number of Flesh Grubs, turn to 102.

Rolling the die and applying the appropriate modification yielded a total of 11 Flesh Grubs that crawl on to Sinbad. Rolling the dice yielded a 9, which means that we will be heading to section 271.

For each Flesh Grub that is alive you must lose 1 STAMINA point. If you are still alive, roll two dice again to decide how many of the remaining Flesh Grubs you kill this time. If the number rolled is the same or greater than the number of Flesh Grubs, turn to 102. If the number rolled is less than the number of Flesh Grubs, turn to 63.

Sinbad loses 2 STAMINA points from the remaining Flesh Grubs. Rolling the dice yielded a 7, which is obviously greater than the number of the remaining Flesh Grubs.

Satisfied that there are no more grubs hidden in the warrior’s tunic, you decide what to do. Will you:

Open the leather bag?       Turn to 114
Uncork the silver flask?       Turn to 245
Take the sword?       Turn to 358
Leave everything and walk on?       Turn to 212

Adventure Sheet
Sinbad
STAMINA: 15 Initial Stamina = 17
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Backpack
5 Provisions
Leather Pouch
57 Gold Pieces
Emerald Eye
Sword
Axe Head
Mirror Piece
Healing Potion
Chain-mail Coat
Gold Nugget
Silver Box
Crystal Dagger
Garlic Cloves
Large Tooth
Leather Bag
Dagger
Gold Ring
Lucky Charm
Glass Ball
Broken Dagger
Short Stick
Leather Pouch
Iron Breastplate
Dried Leaves
Staff of Thunder
Bronze Shield
3 Silver Coins
Silver Armband
Dark Blue Bottle
Rope
Ring of Zombie Control
Silver Cross
Kris Knife
Bronze Monkey Statuette
Golden Orb
Picklock
Map