[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 61 - Bloodbones

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these should I host a Let's Play of next?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:59 pm

Fighting Fantasy Never-Completed: Trial of Champions, Starship Traveller, Freeway Fighter, Seas of Blood, Portal of Evil, Battleblade Warrior, or Island of the Undead (say which one in comments if you choose this one)
No votes
Fighting Fantazine Mini-Adventure: Return to Icefinger Mountains. Sequel to Caverns of the Snow Witch.
50%
Fighting Fantazine Mini-Adventure: Vengeance at Midnight. Sequel to Appointment With F.E.A.R.
50%
Marvel Super Heroes Gamebook: Through Six Dimensions. In this gamebook you play Dr. Strange.
No votes
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Gamebook: Curse of the Werewolf. In this gamebook you play the warrior Feral, who fought in the Khefan border wars for three years and is now returning home to the village of Mennan, where his late father Agnor the Wolf ruled.
No votes
Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook: Crypt of the Vampire.
No votes
Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook: Castle of Lost Souls.
No votes
Sorcery! as a warrior.
No votes
I would not participate in any of these.
No votes

Total votes: 2

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 61 - Bloodbones

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote not to use Luck or a Gas Globe for this one, as I think our hero has enough of an advantage already. I think Maratu is a magical creature, so I think a Gas Globe would not work.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Ramatu. It doesn't spell out whether the High Priest of Quezkari counts as a magical creature, but by my reading he's a human who casts spells, not himself more of a magical creature than, e.g., the hero of Citadel of Chaos or Sorcery!.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I see. My vote not to use anything stands then, since I feel that having 1 Attack Strength advantage and having more Stamina is enough still.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

We've still got 2 gas globes, and we seem to be near the end, so I vote to use one.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I think we can take him without needing a Gas Globe.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Not using a Gas Globe wins 2-1.

Bonnie Blood throws the Bolarang, hitting for 2 damage.
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 17, RAMATU Attack Strength: 21. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 13
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, RAMATU Attack Strength: 22. RAMATU's Stamina is 5
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 18, RAMATU Attack Strength: 17. RAMATU's Stamina is 3
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 17, RAMATU Attack Strength: 12. RAMATU's Stamina is 1
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 15, RAMATU Attack Strength: 21. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 11
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 13, RAMATU Attack Strength: 20. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 9
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 17, RAMATU Attack Strength: 18. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 7
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, RAMATU Attack Strength: 18. RAMATU is dead.

'You're too late,' gasps Ramatu with his dying breath. 'The ritual is complete; Cinnabar is invulnerable.' And then he is dead. You have rid the world of the evil Ramatu, Quezkari's servant - congratulations! Regain 1 Luck point. There is no time to lose, Cinnabar must be on his way back to the Port of Crabs right now! As you prepare to leave the temple in pursuit of the Pirate-Lord you catch sight of the altar at the base of Quezkari's statue. On it is a fetish of the dark god-spirit and a sparkling, fist-sized pearl.

Pick up the fetish?
Pick up the pearl?
Leave the temple immediately?

Also highlighting the option to eat or drink rum here.

Name: Bonnie Blood
Sex: Female
Skill: 12/12
Stamina: 7/20
Luck: 9/11
Weapon: Bone Sword
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass, Rope, 2 Gas Globes (when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune), Bolarang (Test Skill before a fight to do 2 damage), Throwing Dagger, Crab Doubloon, 2 Meals, candle, 2 dice, burned letter, Bottle of Rum (+4 Stamina), Map of Bone Island, Sword
Spells: Insect Repellent (will repel any number of insects of any size for the duration of one encounter; inflicts 2 damage on caster when cast)
Gold Pieces: 38
Time Elapsed: 7 Hours
Deaths: Contracted fast-acting malaria from a giant mosquito
Queen of Swords
Prince

Pick up the pearl.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to get the fetish.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Gonna need a tiebreaker.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Half vote for fetish
Queen of Swords
Prince

I don’t mind changing my vote to the fetish, though if we can get the pearl too afterwards, I vote for trying that.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to get the pearl if our hero can do that after getting the fetish.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Taking the fetish in your hands does not produce any ill effects, so you put the grim little idol in your backpack.

You now grab the pearl.

On touching the pearl you feel a warm tingling sensation in your arm. As you hold the pearl in both hands, your whole body is filed with revitalizing energy. Restore both your Stamina and Skill scores to their Initial levels and regain 2 Luck points. Blessed by the life-giving pearl which Ramatu stole from the Usai tribe, you leave the temple.

You rush out of the temple into blazing sunshine. If you can catch up with Cinnabar maybe you'll be able to stop him before he leaves Bone Island. Running as fast as you can, you hurry down though the hills to the lagoon. Lose 1 Stamina point due to this strenuous exercise. You approach the bay as evening approaches, just in time to see the Virago disappearing towards the horizon on the open sea. After all your efforts you are too late!

You did free the Sea Maiden from its curse.

You collapse on the sandy shore, utterly crestfallen. So near and yet so...What was that sound? It was like the blowing of the wind in a ship's sails, but there is not even so much as a breeze. You look up and there, gliding into the lagoon, is a battered, storm-wracked vessel -- the Sea Maiden. As soon as you are within earshot, the ghostly Captain Velyarde calls to you from the deck, 'Do not worry my friend. Cinnabar has not thwarted us yet. Come, join us.'

In no time at all you are onboard: the Sea Maiden sets off at once. The ghost ship travels at an incredible rate of knots, flying over the waves as it chases after the Virago. During the exhilarating voyage, Velyarde explains his crew's continued presence on the Earthly Plane: 'It was Cinnabar's pirates who slaughtered my crew and I, damning us for all eternity. Now there is a chance to be revenged and restore the cosmic order.' And then in midocean the pirates' galleon comes into view. As you watch, a ball of burning pitch shoots from the Virago at the Sea Maiden, and it is dead on target. Test your Luck; a 4 succeeds.

The fireball crashes into the deck, smashing a hole in the rotten planks. but still the phantom vessel skims onwards over the sea. The Virago cannot outrun Velyarde's craft and before the pirates really know what is going on, the undead crew of the Sea Maiden, followed by yourself, are boarding the galleon. Battle immediately ensues as the undead sailors avenge themselves on Cinnabar's cronies. Roll one die; the result is a 2.

Captain Velyarde engages in combat with a lithe, well-dressed pirate while you find yourself challenged by a man built like a gorilla, and carrying a battle-axe. Hobbes, the Virago's Second Mate, is a veteran of countless sea battles.

SECOND MATE HOBBES Skill 8 Stamina 8

Bonnie Blood throws the bolarang for 2 damage.

Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 19. SECOND MATE HOBBES's Stamina is 4
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 16, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 17. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 18
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 14, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 17. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 16
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 19, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 20. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 14
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 22, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 19. SECOND MATE HOBBES's Stamina is 2
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 14, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 20. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 12
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 24, SECOND MATE HOBBES Attack Strength: 12. SECOND MATE HOBBES is dead.

Hobbes had good dice, but not enough to overcome the Skill difference.

'Curse you!' shouts a red-haired woman, leaping into your way. You recognise the fiery woman as Mirel the Red, Cinnabar's second-in-command. It was she who recovered the pirate-lord's body and brought him back to this world. 'Thanks to you I now have this,' she spits revealing a hook in place of her left hand, 'but I shall make you pay for your crime ten-fold!'

MIREL THE RED Skill 11 Stamina 10

Mirel the Red is a skilled swordswoman (who would probably have a Skill of 12 if she still had both hands). Pausing to vote on how/whether to use Luck or a Gas Globe.

Stamina: 12/20
Luck: 10/11
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass, Rope, 2 Gas Globes (when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune), Bolarang (Test Skill before a fight to do 2 damage), Throwing Dagger, Crab Doubloon, 2 Meals, candle, 2 dice, burned letter, Bottle of Rum (+4 Stamina), Map of Bone Island, Sword, Fetish of Quezkari, Usai Pearl
Spells: Insect Repellent (will repel any number of insects of any size for the duration of one encounter; inflicts 2 damage on caster when cast)
Queen of Swords
Prince

This might be a good time to use a Gas Globe.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to use a Globe for this fight, and to eat 2 Meals afterwards.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, looks like the endgame is here and we've still got to gas globes, best to use them
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Bonnie Blood uses a Gas Globe on Mirel the Red and throws the bolarang at her.

Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 19, MIREL THE RED Attack Strength: 19.
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 24, MIREL THE RED Attack Strength: 15. MIREL THE RED's Stamina is 6
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 22, MIREL THE RED Attack Strength: 20. MIREL THE RED's Stamina is 4
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 14, MIREL THE RED Attack Strength: 15. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 10
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 17, MIREL THE RED Attack Strength: 15. MIREL THE RED's Stamina is 2
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, MIREL THE RED Attack Strength: 20. MIREL THE RED is dead.

The mass of fighting bodies parts and there stands your quarry before you. Having fought your way past his lackeys, you are face-to-face with Cinnabar, old Bloodbones himself at last. But he is no longer the undead horror you encountered beneath the Port of Crabs--he is now the debonair, handsome pirate-lord he was before his death. Springing like a panther, you sprint across the deck to reach Cinnabar. At the same time the pirate captain raises a small crossbow and fires. Test your Skill; a 5 succeeds.

You dodge the bolt and prepare to attack.

The evil Cinnabar draws a gleaning cutlass from its scabbard and with a roar engages you in combat. At the same time, the pirate-lord's mangy parrot flies from its perch on his shoulder. 'That's right, Jezebel,' laughs Cinnabar, 'go for the eyes!'

CINNABAR Skill 12 Stamina 16

As you are being distracted by the parrot you must reduce your Attack Strength by 1 for this battle. Also, each Attack Round there is a 1/3 chance Jezebel will do 1 damage to you. Cinnabar is a supernatural creature and the Bone Sword will increase your Attack Strength by 1 here, but a Gas Globe will not work. You do not have time to eat, but you can drink a Bottle of Rum quickly before approaching Cinnabar.

Vote on how to use Luck here.

Stamina: 10/20
Luck: 10/11
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass, Rope, Gas Globe (when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune), Bolarang (Test Skill before a fight to do 2 damage), Throwing Dagger, Crab Doubloon, 2 Meals, candle, 2 dice, burned letter, Bottle of Rum (+4 Stamina), Map of Bone Island, Sword, Fetish of Quezkari, Usai Pearl
Last edited by Beroli on Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to quaff the bottle of rum, and use Luck to deal extra damage three times.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second that.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, CINNABAR Attack Strength: 16. Luck Test Succeeded with a 5. CINNABAR's Stamina is 10
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 17, CINNABAR Attack Strength: 14. Luck Test Succeeded with a 6. CINNABAR's Stamina is 6
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 19, CINNABAR Attack Strength: 15. Luck Test Succeeded with a 4. CINNABAR's Stamina is 2. Jezebel scratches you. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 13.
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 21, CINNABAR Attack Strength: 20. CINNABAR is dead. Bonnie Blood's Luck is 7.

Rather amazing rolls there.

Cinnabar slumps to the deck; you have overcome him at last. But what is this? His wounds closing before your very eyes, Cinnabar rises to his feet again, seemingly unharmed. 'Don't you understand?' he mocks. 'The ceremony was completed. I am invulnerable and I shall be invincible! And do you know why?' Cinnabar is boasting now. 'My heart is no longer inside my body!'

You have a fetish.

Could it be? Hastily you pull the tiny grimacing idol from your backpack and know that you are correct in your assumptions by Cinnabar's reaction: his heart is actually enclosed inside the fetish of the death god! 'What are you doing with that?' the pirate-lord gasps in horror. 'Look, I'll give you anything you desire: gold, jewels, why even the Port of Crabs if you so wish. Only spare me!' Cinnabar has shown himself to be the pitiful coward he really is. The only thing he owes you for the slaughter of your family is his death! Hurling the fetish onto the deck you smash it open and pierce Cinnabar's heart with the tip of your sword. With a spinechilling wail, Cinnabar collapses in front of you. Immediately his flesh starts to decay, dissolving into a grey-green sludge as it drops from his bones which in tum crumble to dust. Soon all that is left of the foul pirate lord are his clothes. The butcher known as Bloodbones is truly dead at last (regain 1 LUCK point).

Suddenly a cloud of thick, black smoke starts to pour from the shattered pieces of the broken fetish. The vapour coalesces and then solidifies before you into a terrifying form: the true source of Cinnabar's power is manifesting itself. Standing where the pirate fell is a grotesque creature with a withered, skeletal human body and a grossly over-large, skull-like head, adorned with a feathered headdress. At the death of his servant, Quezkari himself has come to seek your demise!

Try to use something against the horror?
Attack it with your weapon?

You do not have any of the items you might try to use so you must attack with your weapon.

You remember how Zyteea invoked the bone sword's power.

'Nightdeath, aid me now!' you cry and the bone sword bursts into flame. Screeching, Quezkari attacks.

You did receive a wristband of white feathers. The courage of the Usai people is with you as you fight the terrible spirit (+1 Attack Strength).

You do not have an Ivory Lion Charm and thus Quezkari will do 3 damage per hit.

QUEZKARI Skill 13 Stamina 18

Your effective Skill, with Nightdeath and the support of the Usai, is 14, but Quezkari has more Stamina and does more damage than you. Vote on how to use Luck here.

Stamina: 13/20
Luck: 8/11
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox, Shark's Teeth Bracelet, Magic Compass, Rope, Gas Globe (when you choose to smash one before an enemy at the start of a battle, that enemy fights the battle with a -2 Attack Strength, provided they are not immune; Undead, Demons, and magical creatures are immune), Bolarang (Test Skill before a fight to do 2 damage), Throwing Dagger, Crab Doubloon, 2 Meals, candle, 2 dice, burned letter, Map of Bone Island, Sword, Fetish of Quezkari, Usai Pearl
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to use Luck twice to deal extra damage.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed. This one will be touch and go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Use luck twice...and hope.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 16, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 25. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 10
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 25, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 16. Luck Test Succeeded with a 6. QUEZKARI's Stamina is 14
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 18. Luck Test Succeeded with a 5. QUEZKARI's Stamina is 10
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 24. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 7
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 17, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 15. QUEZKARI's Stamina is 8
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 17. QUEZKARI's Stamina is 6
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 24, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 22. QUEZKARI's Stamina is 4
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 16, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 19. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 4
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 20.
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 25, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 18. QUEZKARI's Stamina is 2
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 22, QUEZKARI Attack Strength: 17. QUEZKARI is dead. Bonnie Blood's Luck is 6.

At your killing blow, Quezkari's rapidly decomposing body is engulfed in flames. Looking about you, you see that, having lost their leader and witnessed the defeat of their 'god,' the pirates are running around in disarray and have almost been wiped out by the undead crew of the Sea Maiden. Your attention is drawn back to Quezkari's corpse by the raging fire that has now spread to the deck and mast of the Virago. 'Hurry, my friend!' calls Velyarde. 'We are done here.'

Fleeing the pirate vessel with the rest of Velyarde's crew, once you are back on board the ghost ship you watch from a safe distance as the galleon is consumed by flames and then finally sinks beneath the waves. Thanks to you, the cruel pirate-lord Cinnabar has been destroyed, along with his evil master Quezkari, and the Pirates of the Black Skull are no more. Your homeland is safe.

As the sun sinks towards the horizon, tingeing the Western Ocean a brilliant orange, you gaze out across the watery expanse deep in thought. You are stirred from your reverie by Captain Velyarde as he joins you at the prow. 'Before we must depart this world for good, may I pay you one last service for freeing us from our unending torment, by taking you to some port?' he asks.

'Yes,' you say in reply. 'Clam Beach. Take me home.'