[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 61 - Bloodbones

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of these should I host a Let's Play of next?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:59 pm

Fighting Fantasy Never-Completed: Trial of Champions, Starship Traveller, Freeway Fighter, Seas of Blood, Portal of Evil, Battleblade Warrior, or Island of the Undead (say which one in comments if you choose this one)
No votes
Fighting Fantazine Mini-Adventure: Return to Icefinger Mountains. Sequel to Caverns of the Snow Witch.
50%
Fighting Fantazine Mini-Adventure: Vengeance at Midnight. Sequel to Appointment With F.E.A.R.
50%
Marvel Super Heroes Gamebook: Through Six Dimensions. In this gamebook you play Dr. Strange.
No votes
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Gamebook: Curse of the Werewolf. In this gamebook you play the warrior Feral, who fought in the Khefan border wars for three years and is now returning home to the village of Mennan, where his late father Agnor the Wolf ruled.
No votes
Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook: Crypt of the Vampire.
No votes
Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook: Castle of Lost Souls.
No votes
Sorcery! as a warrior.
No votes
I would not participate in any of these.
No votes

Total votes: 2

Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

There are four general categories I'm considering for another Let's Play:

1) A Fighting Fantasy Gamebook that was run here but not completed. I don't know that any of them was of sufficient interest for that, but if one wins the poll, I'll do it.

2) Another Fighting Fantazine mini-adventure.

3) A gamebook from a different ruleset entirely: Through Six Dimensions from the Marvel Super Heroes series, or Curse of the Werewolf from the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons series. I could also cross this option with option 1 by hosting Castle of Lost Souls.

4) The Sorcery! series, which has already been played here, but if I host it again it would be as a warrior, not as a wizard. This is something that is, as far as I can tell, effectively never done, to the point where some people even incorrectly say online that the fourth book is impossible to complete that way, but there is an actual path through the gamebooks for a warrior. (No Crystal Waterfall Kung-Fu if we do this one.)
Last edited by Beroli on Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: Next Let's Play

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Beroli, do you have a copy of Eye of the Dragon, Bloodbones, Stormslayer, or Blood of the Zombies? If you did, I would be far more interested in running any of these Wizard-exclusive Fighting Fantasy titles than what is currently available, since I think trying to round them out would have a larger appeal.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

I do have Eye of the Dragon and Bloodbones. However, as far as I can tell Eye of the Dragon is nearly as universally reviled as Sky Lord, and while I'm rather fond of Bloodbones, it definitely qualifies as a strict One True Path gamebook.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will vote for Eye of the Dragon then for the first choice, so we can get that checked off the forum's wishlist, and submit my second choice for Bloodbones. Feel free to give our hero max stats, resurrections, and make any changes to make the adventures palatable.

I would certainly be open to other options that anyone else might vote for.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I voted for the sequel to Caverns of the Snow Witch, but I'd be happy with doing Bloodbones. It's difficult, but atmospheric. Eye of the Dragon just felt tired, like something I'd read a thousand times before. It's the only FF gamebook which I gave away rather than keeping for my collection.
Thaluikhain
King

Re:

Post by Thaluikhain »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:40 pm
Eye of the Dragon just felt tired, like something I'd read a thousand times before. It's the only FF gamebook which I gave away rather than keeping for my collection.
Ouch!

Really, I'm fine with whatever is run, though I'm not really interested in the Marvel one.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

With an effective three-way tie, I'm starting Bloodbones, for now.

Default Fighting Fantasy rules:

You have three stats: Skill, Stamina, and Luck. Initial Skill is generated by rolling 1d6+6. Initial Stamina is generated by rolling 2d6+12. And Initial Luck is generated by rolling 1d6+6. Your Skill, Stamina, and Luck start out equal to their Initial values, and can never exceed their Initial values; some rare bonuses will increase the Initial value as well as or instead of the current value.

When told to Test your Skill, roll 2d6. If the result is lower than or equal to your current Skill, you succeed; if it is higher, you fail.

When told to Test your Luck, roll 2d6. If the result is lower than or equal to your current Luck, you succeed; if it is higher, you fail. Either way, reduce your current Luck by 1 afterward. For obvious reasons, it is advantageous to only Test your Luck if you have to.

Most enemies you encounter will have their own Skill and Stamina scores. One-on-one combat works like this:

Each round, you roll 2d6 and add the result to your Skill to get your Attack Strength. The enemy rolls 2d6 and adds the result to their Skill to get their Attack Strength. If one of you has higher Attack Strength, the other one loses two Stamina. If both Attack Strengths are the same, both of you have avoided damage. When one reaches 0 Stamina, that one is dead.

Immediately after you win an Attack Round, you may choose to Test your Luck. If you succeed, you do a further 2 points of damage to the enemy. If you fail, the enemy gets one point of Stamina back (it turns out your hit was just a graze).

Immediately after you lose an Attack Round (before you die, if the Attack Round brought you to 0 Stamina), you may choose to Test your Luck. If you succeed, you get one point of Stamina back (the wound was just a graze). If you fail, you take 1 more point of damage.

Combat against multiple opponents works like this:

Each round, you designate which opponent you are attacking. Then you roll for your Attack Strength as if you were fighting single combats with each of however many opponents you are facing (so if you are fighting five enemies, you generate five separate Attack Strengths for yourself). Each of them rolls for their Attack Strength normally.

If your Attack Strength is higher than your chosen target’s, they lose 2 Stamina (can be increased by Luck as normal). You have no chance of wounding any other opponent that round.

For each Attack Strength higher than yours, you lose 2 Stamina (can be decreased by Luck as normal).

PROVISIONS

By default, the PC starts with ten Meals worth of unspecified Provisions. Eating a Meal without being told it’s a requirement will cure 4 Stamina points worth of damage. If a gamebook says “you must eat a Meal now,” that Meal heals no damage, and if the PC is out of Provisions and cannot eat, they take damage instead. Whether eating Provisions is at will or only when a gamebook specifies that the PC can eat if they wish to varies from gamebook to gamebook.

POTIONS

By default, the PC starts with one of three potions. A Potion of Dexterity will restore Skill to its Initial score. A Potion of Strength will restore Stamina to its Initial score. A Potion of Fortune will increase Initial Luck by 1 and then restore Luck to its new Initial score.

Individual Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks may change any of those rules.

SPECIFIC RULES FOR THIS BOOK

You begin with a sword, a lantern, a tinderbox, a backpack, and 14-24 Gold Pieces. You do not begin with a potion or any Provisions. You have an extra stat called Time Elapsed, which begins at 0.

Initial rolls: 6, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2. Vote on two dice to add to 12 to become your starting Gold Pieces, one die to add to 6 to become your Initial Skill, two dice to add to 12 to become your Initial Stamina, and one die to add to 6 to become your Initial Luck. Also vote on sex and name.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 61 - Bloodbones

Post by Thaluikhain »

Erm...I vote 6 for Sk, 4 for Luck 4 and 3 for stamina and 4 and 2 for gold

And I suggest Bonnie Blood, due to it sounding like the adventures name.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Alright, I vote to give our hero 12 Skill (which is sort of mandatory for One True Path gamebooks), 10 Luck, 20 Stamina, and 17 Gold Pieces. I vote to make our hero with the name Herbert West, the star of one of the bloodiest films that I have ever seen.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'll go with JourneymanN00b's allocation of points, and the name Bonnie Blood.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

It all started ten years ago when the evil pirate-lord Cinnabar murdered your family. At the time you were only twelve years old and lived with your family in the small fishing village of Clam Beach on the northern coast of Ruddlestone, halfway between the two major ports of the kingdom: Harabnab, home to all lawful adventurers and sailors, and the sinister Port of Crabs. Life in Clam Beach was not easy but it did have a peaceful security about it. And then the terrible day came.

It was a clear summer's day in Warming when the huge, forbidding, black galleon sailed into the bay, flying the dreaded flag of the skull and crossbones: pirates. The bloodthirsty cutthroats were soon racing up the beach towards the village. The fighting was swift and bloody. Soon most of the menfolk of Clam Beach had been killed, your father and two brothers dying trying to defend the village. In the end the village elders had no choice but to surrender to the marauding raiders and open the village's meagre treasure coffers. The cruel pirate captain came ashore from his ship to collect the booty himself. The sight of him filled you with awe and fear. The captain was a tall, handsome man with a neatly trimmed, pointed black beard and his hair tied back in a ponytail. He was dressed in the clothes of a nobleman, with a fine scarlet coat trimmed with gold braid, and wearing a large tricorn hat. At his waist hung a gleaming cutlass, and you could not help noticing that on the back of his right hand was tattooed the image of a grinning black skull. When the raiders had finally gone, you asked Raguy, the village soothsayer, who the pirate captain was. 'That villain is one of the most evil men ever to sail the twelve seas of Titan!' was his vehement reply. 'He is one of the most feared pirate-lords of our age, a murderer without remorse, and a follower of the bloodthirsty death-god Quezkari. His name is Cinnabar, but because of the bloodthirsty atrocities he commits he is also known as Bloodbones.' You vowed that, one day, you would have your revenge on the evil Cinnabar.

Your mother became ill soon after that dreadful day and three years later she died. On your sixteenth birthday you left Clam Beach and made your way to Harabnab, gaining the position of cabin girl on a ship traveling to the distant continent of Allansia. So it is that for the last six years you have sailed all over the globe, but you have never forgotten the promise you made to yourself a decade ago. Over many voyages you have tried to learn as much as you can about the rogue captain. You discovered that Cinnabar's galleon, the Virago, is frequently seen sailing in the waters around Nankuku Bay and that he has a hidden base somewhere close to the Port of Crabs. You also gleaned as much information as you could about that notorious city. And so, when you decided that you were at last ready to confront your enemy and the chance of passage on a merchant ship sailing to the Port of Crabs came up, you leapt at the opportunity. Vengeance, you are sure, will soon be yours. (You'll have to decide for yourselves whether you spent the voyage rehearsing, "Hello. My name is Bonnie Blood. You killed my father and brothers. Prepare to die.")

The Port of Crabs is haven to every pirate, buccaneer, and freebooter who plies their trade off the coast of the kingdom of Ruddlestone in the Old World. As you stand at the prow of the merchantman, looking towards the land, you can make out the ramshackle jumble of buildings of the infamous city and the outline of the Old Fort that stands above it like some ancient, crumbling sentinel. The merchantman bumps against the stone jetty and you quickly disembark. Not only is the Port of Crabs one of the most dangerous cities in the Old World, but a thick fog is starting to roll in from the sea. It is late afternoon on a chill day in Unlocking and the docks are bustling with activity. Standing close to the quayside is a large old stone building which looks like it could withstand a battering from Hydana, God of the Deep, himself. Hanging over its sturdy oak door is a faded sign declaring that this is the Jolly Roger. This seems as good a place as any to begin your search for Cinnabar, so you enter the inn.

The spacious bar inside the Jolly Roger is packed with all manner of scurvy-looking sailors and other lowlifes. The landlord is as big as an ox and has a large anchor tattooed on one arm. No one takes any notice of you as you enter, so you approach the bar and order a tankard of ale (deduct 1 Gold Piece). You decide to question the landlord about Cinnabar first. Over your tankard of ale you talk about the weather and the state of trade and then draw the innkeeper onto the subject of the pirate you seek. 'I hear the Virago plies these waters,' you say. 'I'm surprised we weren't attacked ourselves.'

'Not anymore it doesn't,' the landlord replies. 'Have you not heard? Cinnabar has been dead these last six months.'

Cinnabar dead? You have come all this way, alter years of dreaming of revenge, only to find that the dread pirate-lord has already passed from this world! You ask the landlord how he died. 'Have you not heard? I would've thought that everyone as far as the Diamond Islands would know by now. It all happened last Hiding.' You listen attentively as the innkeeper relates the tale. It appears that Cinnabar and his crew were emptying the hold of a galley sailing from Harabnab to Arkleton, in distant Analand, when the renowned bounty hunter Conyn caught up with them in his ship, the Fortune. Unable to escape, Cinnabar and his men had to defend themselves against the crews of the galley and Conyn. Fierce fighting ensued, with Cinnabar eventually falling at Conyn's hand, having suffered an incredible number of wounds, his body being lost to the sea. With their leader killed, the surviving members of his crew fled aboard the Virago, returning to the Port of Crabs. Soon after, Cinnabar's first mate, Mirel the Red, set off in the Virago amid terrible storms, purportedly to recover her captain's body. 'Many now believe that the pirate-lord's galleon sank, as it has not been seen since,' the landlord says, concluding his story. You thank him for his help and, in a bewildered daze, you make to leave the inn. You console yourself with the thought that at least the murderer of your family has at last been brought to justice.

As you leave the Jolly Roger you feel someone pulling on your jerkin. Turning round you discover that an old drunk, slumped at a table by himself, is the one trying to attract your attention. 'Just because he's dead doesn't mean he's at rest,' mutters the drunk. Curious about the drunk's words, you sit down opposite the old man and ask him what he means. 'Let's just say you don't want to go believing everything you hear. But I know what's going on. Oh yes, old Dregg knows. Cinnabar isn't really dead see, and he's coming back!' the old man says in a harsh whisper. Intrigued, you press Dregg to tell you more, but he suddenly becomes serious and looks round the barroom uneasily. 'Not here. Meet me outside in ten minutes.' You nod in agreement and leave the Jolly Roger.

Tendrils of fog are now swirling around the boats in the harbour and oozing along the streets of the town. When the ten minutes are up you quickly return to the Jolly Roger and sneak down the side alley next to it. In the mist and shadows at the end of the narrow alleyway you can make out three figures standing over a fourth, cowering on the ground at their feet. Wasting no time, you draw your sword and dash towards them. Hearing your approach the three pirates turn to face you. The burly characters are ugly, scarred rogues, and the biggest of them, who is easily wielding a heavy wooden club in one hand and holding a bullwhip in the other, looks as if he has some Ogre blood in his lineage. At the Pirates' feet lies Dregg, beaten, bruised, and only just conscious. 'Here's the snooper,' growls the Half-Ogre. 'You're no match for us. By the time we've finished with you, you'll be feeding the shrimps. Or rather the shrimps'll be feeding on you.' The other two pirates burst into coarse laughter at their companion's joke. 'Yeah, you're fishbait!'
Pirates.jpg
Pirates.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Still laughing, the ruffians advance towards you. Apart from the Half-Ogre, there is a well-built bearded man, missing most of his teeth, and a leaner rogue with two ugly red scars running down the right-hand side of his face.

Try to escape?
Charge one of the pirates?
Stand firm and prepare to fight?

Name: Bonnie Blood
Sex: Female
Skill: 12/12
Stamina: 20/20
Luck: 10/10
Weapon: Sword
Backpack contents: Lantern, Tinderbox
Gold Pieces: 16
Time Elapsed: 0
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Our hero is not a coward, but I do not want her to get into a 3 on 1 match so soon in this adventure. I vote to charge one of the pirates to see if this evens the odds a little.

Oh, and does age play a factor like in The Crimson Tide, or is it just for flavor?
Queen of Swords
Prince

Stand firm. This reminds me of the start of Curse of the Mummy, where the safest choice is to stand your ground rather than charging or running away.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Half vote for charging at one of them, in the hopes of evening the odds.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The gamebook never checks your age and Time Elapsed is in hours, not years; it just jumped out at me while transcribing the intro that it's a lot more specific about how old you are at the start than most Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks.

Charging wins 1.5 to 1.

The pirates are not expecting this reaction from you, and you are able to wound one of the rogues before they know what is going on. Fight them both at the same time.

First PIRATE Skill 6 Stamina 5
Second PIRATE Skill 6 Stamina 7

Round One: Bonnie Blood 17, First PIRATE 13, Bonnie Blood 22, Second PIRATE 15. First PIRATE is at 3 Stamina.
Round Two: Bonnie Blood 24, First PIRATE 18, Bonnie Blood 16, Second PIRATE 14. First PIRATE is at 1 Stamina.
Round Three: Bonnie Blood 21, First PIRATE 12, Bonnie Blood 18, Second PIRATE 9. First PIRATE is dead.
Round Four: Bonnie Blood 17, PIRATE 12. PIRATE is at 5 Stamina.
Round Five: Bonnie Blood 16, PIRATE 8. PIRATE is at 3 Stamina.
Round Six: Bonnie Blood 24, PIRATE 15. PIRATE is at 1 Stamina.
Round Seven: Bonnie Blood 18, PIRATE 16. PIRATE is dead.

The Half-Ogre steps forward to fight you. Face him, or flee?

Stamina: 20/20
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to face the Half-Ogre and not run away like a coward.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, fight.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

We just offed his two mates flawlessly, which is a good start, but I vote we keep going.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Dropping his whip, the Half-Ogre moves in to attack you with his club.

HALF-OGRE Skill 8 Stamina 9

If the Half-Ogre wins an Attack Round, roll one die; on a 6, the blow from his club knocks you off your feet, and you have a -2 Attack Strength penalty for the next round as you get back up.

Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 20, HALF-OGRE Attack Strength: 15. HALF-OGRE's Stamina is 7
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, HALF-OGRE Attack Strength: 16. HALF-OGRE's Stamina is 5
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 23, HALF-OGRE Attack Strength: 13. HALF-OGRE's Stamina is 3
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 22, HALF-OGRE Attack Strength: 10. HALF-OGRE's Stamina is 1
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 14, HALF-OGRE Attack Strength: 17. Bonnie Blood's Stamina is 18. The Half-Ogre rolls a 3 and Bonnie stays on her feet.
Bonnie Blood Attack Strength: 21, HALF-OGRE Attack Strength: 13. HALF-OGRE is dead.

The last of the pirates falls and with some relief you sheathe your sword. It looks as if the Pirates have beaten Dregg within an inch of his life and he is failing fast. You do your best to make the old man comfortable and he opens his eyes. 'Thanks, stranger,' he gasps, 'but I'm a goner now. They're up to something, you know.' You ask him who he's talking about. 'Cinnabar's crew, the Pirates of the Black Skull.' Looking at the hands of Dregg's assailants you see that each bears the tattoo of a grinning black skull. 'I've seen them meeting up again around the taverns in the city; Silas Gallows, Keelhaul Jack, old Crivens, even Malu the Witchdoctor. They're planning something all right. Rumour says Mirel the Red found Cinnabar's body and that he's not rightly dead. But he's not rightly alive either, see. It's all that voodoo and black magic they meddle in. Not right so it isn't.' Dregg coughs weakly. 'He's coming back. We'll all be doomed! Stranger,beware the Black Skull. Bloodbones is coming back!' And then he is gone. Laying the old man down, you ponder his last words and what your next action should be. So Cinnabar is not really dead. In that case you may still be revenged. But what did Dregg mean when he said that Cinnabar is not really alive either? Dregg has given you several clues about your enemy and where you should start your search for him. The old man mentioned that the Pirates of the Black Skull were gathering again in the Port of Crabs, so they may have a hidden base somewhere in the city, but of course at present you have no idea where it may be.

Visit some of the taverns and inns yourself in the hopes of finding out more?
Visit the notorious Gambling Pits, which may be a source of information and/or Gold Pieces?
Go to the markets to equip yourself for your quest?
Look for the help of the authorities against Cinnabar, though Governor Montargo has certainly allowed the port to remain a safe haven for buccaneers and freebooters?
Since the cult of Quezkari is involved, go to the Temple of Vinar and look for help from the Overpriest?
Instead of trying to gather more information first, look for the pirates' hidden base?

Stamina: 18/20
Last edited by Beroli on Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Taverns first, as they were mentioned.

(This one is starting out nicely, IMHO)
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, taverns (though I also want to go to the gambling pits and the markets).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to visit the Gambling pits first to have a chance of getting more money for buying equipment, which I believe we should do before following any leads.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Going to the taverns wins 2-1.

You visit many of the seediest drinking establishments in the city, including The Cat and Cockroach, Angar's Mutiny, and the Barnacle Tavern. However, your enquiries and investigations attract the attentions of those whose interest you did not want to arouse. Having just left yet another smoky barroom, you suddenly find yourself confronted by a group of pirates and black-robed devotees of Quezkari. Realising the danger you are in from Cinnabar's cronies, you run for it, as there are far too many for you to fight by yourself. Test your Luck; a 9 succeeds.

Somehow, you manage to evade capture by running through the alleyways and backstreets of the port. Add 1 Hour to Time Elapsed. It is still daylight.

Visit the notorious Gambling Pits, which may be a source of information and/or Gold Pieces?
Go to the markets to equip yourself for your quest?
Look for the help of the authorities against Cinnabar, though Governor Montargo has certainly allowed the port to remain a safe haven for buccaneers and freebooters?
Since the cult of Quezkari is involved, go to the Temple of Vinar and look for help from the Overpriest?
Look for the pirates' hidden base?

Stamina: 18/20
Luck: 9/10
Time Elapsed: 1 Hour
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ok, gambling pits next.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I again vote for the gambling pits.