[Let's Play] Fighting Fantazine Adventure 5: Bones of the Banished

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantazine Adventure 5: Bones of the Banished

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat 2 meals (since that is all we have) and do the same things we did until we reach the tomb. Once there, I vote to avoid it.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Oh wait, I just read back and realized that we took the longer route back last time, which was how we saw the inscription on the pedestal. So I'm changing my vote to take the longer route. However, I vote against attacking the sabre-toothed tiger this time, because we didn't gain anything from that fight.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

For hours you trek across the plains, a smattering of thorn-trees your only protection from the savage afternoon sun. After some time, you spot the ruins of a building in the distance. It must be from the elder days, for the plains-tribes do not build in stone.

The tales you heard in your youth still ring fresh in your mind, of a glorious civilization ruled by emperors whose pride and insatiable lust for power brought about their downfall. All that remains now are the crumbled remnants of their once-mighty realm, one rumoured to be haunted by the anguished spectres of that long-dead race.

If the stories are true, you would do well to give the ruin a wide berth.

You investigate.

The exterior of the building is so weathered and broken that it is difficult to imagine what the building originally looked like. The thick walls, composed of massive stone blocks, are an unfamiliar sight to you, for your people dwell only in tents made of hide and bone. A chill ripples down your spine as you approach the arched entrance and step inside.

It takes a minute or two for your eyes to adjust to the darkness inside the ruin. During this time, effectively blind, you keep your senses peeled for any sign of approaching danger, but it passes without incident. Soon you are able to make out a statue standing against the far wall. Mostly untouched by the passing of the ages, it stands on a stone pedestal and appears to be of some mighty king, his brow weighed down by an ornate crown. Both hands rest upon the pommel of a broadsword of exotic design.

An inscription is written on the face of the pedestal in some ancient and long-forgotten language, which you can read because of the Circlet of Hamaskis:

Behold Thrandeus the Mighty, forty-second emperor of glorious Celenasia. All shall obey his divine will!

There appears to be little else of interest in the ruins. You rest awhile before heading back out into the light and heat.

You trek onwards, nearing ever closer to your home. The horizon is thick with cloud, but through them you can just make out the glow of the sun as it dips into the east. Wait a minute--the sun should set in the west! You look closer and realise that what you thought was cloud is actually a massive plume of smoke, pouring out of a raging fire in the distance. As you get closer you can see a wildfire burning out of control. It stretches right across your path and, to make things worse, the winds are fanning it in your direction.

You look for a path around to the left.

The wildfire seems less ferocious to the left. Herds of Antelope and lumbering Shinglebacks flee from the flames that are quickly consuming their grazing grounds. Among the terrified beasts you spot a SABRE-TOOTHED TIGER, a fabled feline predator with two dagger-like fangs. The pelt of such a creature would make an impressive trophy and could perhaps be enough to earn you the position of chieftain!

You focus on escaping the fire, as does the tiger.

The fire picks up in ferocity and sweeps towards you with surprising speed. You are starting to believe you have made a fatal choice when the wind mercifully changes direction, pushing the flames away. Soon you find the end of its main front and dash homewards across the scorched plains. Night will fall soon, and the Rite of Judgement is near at hand!

Evening is falling when the welcome sight of Boneridge Village appears, bathed in the fiery glow of the setting sun. After two days of exploring the deadly Plain of Bones you can finally return home and stake your claim as chieftain of the tribe.

Paru is your companion.

Your pace quickens as home finally comes into view, but Paru hangs back. ‘You go on ahead,’ he mutters, ‘I’m no leader.’ No matter what you say, you can’t change his mind. Begrudgingly you continue on without him.

At last you have returned home! You walk down the main path that leads to the village, proud of what you have achieved, but no one comes out to greet you. In fact, as far as you can tell the entire village is deserted. There are no fires lit, no smells of the evening meal being prepared, and no voices of the returned candidates swapping tales of adventure. You appear to be utterly alone.

By the time you reach the first clusters of tents, your fears are confirmed. You poke your head into the dwellings, only to find each one deserted. You rush to the meeting circle in the centre of the village, but it is also deserted, the fire pits cold and dead. It is as if your entire tribe has vanished into thin air!

You hear a voice coming from somewhere to the west. You race towards the sound, ducking and weaving past tents and the netting that is strung up between the bones of great beasts to protect against the harsh sand storms that sometimes afflict the area. On the fringes of the village, standing on the edge of the cliff overlooking Boneridge Valley, you find Ogmil, the apprentice of Valgrek the village shaman. He spins around to face you.

‘Kuwi?’ he cries, ‘Oh, it’s you. I wondered whether you had the fortitude to survive the Rite.’ You have never gotten along well with Ogmil, but now his words seem particularly laced with venom. You ask him what happened to your people.

‘They have been taken far away from this place. I know where. Come, I will show you.’ He beckons you to join him at the cliff’s edge.

You stand your ground and demand a straight answer from Ogmil. His face is contorted with fury. ‘Fool!’ he spits, ‘you’re no different from the rest of them-–thick-skulled bullies, one and all! But no longer! Finally I will receive my reward, just as master promised. And you?’ Ogmil reaches into a pouch tied to his waist, ‘You will soon be joining the spirits of our ancestors in the Abyss!’

With that, the apprentice flings a handful of red dust at your face. It feels as if your head has been plunged into the heart of a blazing furnace. You scream in agony, blinded and wracked with awful pain. You take (1d6) 6 damage and can do nothing but lie on the ground until the agony subsides.

And, mercifully, it does. You crawl over to some water and wash the burning dust from your face. You can see again, but not very well, and it will be some time before your vision fully recovers (lose 1 point of Skill).

Ogmil is nowhere to be seen. Whatever has happened to your people, you are certain that he has something to do with it. You are pondering what your next move will be when a voice calls out to you. ‘Bless the ancestors you’re alive!’

A striking young woman emerges beneath a heap of netting, her face beaming with joy. It is Kuwi, the daughter of the village’s lead hunter. She rushes over and embraces you. ‘I thought you had perished out there! Most of the other candidates had already returned and we thought you lost. By Courga it is good to see you again!’

You ask Kuwi what terrible fate has befallen your village. Tears spill down her cheeks as she recounts the tale. ‘As I said, we thought everyone who would return had already done so. Valgrek called for the candidates to assemble in the meeting circle and present their trophies for judging. When they had done as he had asked, Valgrek held up a strange red gem, as big as his fist, which glowed with a fell light. One by one, the hunters seemed to fall under a spell. Their arms fell limp at their sides and their eyes shone with the same light as the cursed gem. The wicked shaman ordered them to round up the rest of our people – and they did so, as if they had no will of their own! It was terrible. My own father tried to hunt me down!’

Kuwi breaks down at the awful memory, her body wracked with heavy sobs. The tears subside and she regains her composure. A grim look is in her eyes. ‘I managed to give him the slip. I think I have learned more from him than he realises. Everyone else was gathered up and held prisoner until the Oldbones arrived.’

‘They came riding terrible lizards. Each had the same vacant expression and glowing eyes as the candidates that Valgrek had enchanted. At his command, our people were loaded into cages that were pulled along behind the great beasts. And with that they left! Only Ogmil stayed behind. I think he was looking for me.’

You let Kuwi’s story sink in. Using some evil stone, Valgrek has enslaved both your people and the rival Oldbone tribe--but for what purpose? Ogmil must be in league with the traitorous shaman, for he did not appear to be under the thrall of the mysterious gem.

Your course of action is now clear. You must rescue your people from whatever foul fate Valgrek has planned for them. Unfortunately, you have no clues as to where they have been taken, but Kuwi has an idea.

‘Whenever I have questions that need answering I pray to our ancestors for guidance. They are wise beyond knowing and must be able to help us. Follow me.’

Kuwi leads you to a large, forbidding tent made from the black hide of some thick-skinned beast. It is Valgrek’s lair, a place you have always been forbidden from entering. Apprehensively you part the entrance and step inside.

The tent is brimming with countless oddities and esoteric devices. In one corner the severed claws of some nameless horror lie beside the carved stone figure of a tentacled god. In another corner a basket of sweet-smelling herbs lies atop of a stack of bundled parchments-–indecipherable writings from some far-flung corner of the world. A large area of the tent’s hide is covered with a map of the Plain of Bones, scrawled by Valgrek with charcoal and covered with his mysterious notations.

In the centre of this arcane assemblage stands a stone altar. It is here that the shaman came to seek divine guidance from the spirits of your long-dead chieftains. Now it is your turn to seek answers from the shades of your forefathers.

‘First you must prove yourself worthy of an audience with the spirits,’ Kuwi says, ‘place your offerings on the altar and pray that the ancestors are pleased by them.’

During the Rite of Banishment you will have gathered various trophies from the creatures you have slain.

Values:
Tattered Lion Pelt Special
Crocodile Teeth 1
Lizardman Scimitar 1
Oldbone Necklace 1
Oldbone Spear 1
Sickle Claw 2
Bull's Horn 2
Aardwolf Skin 2
Nandibear Claw 2
Struthiomimus Skull 2
Pterodactyl Wing 2
Allosaurus Tooth 3
Black Lion Pelt 3
Quetzalcoatlas Egg 4
Fangthane Gold 4
Chieftain’s Crown 5
Dragon’s Eye 7

You have two trophies: the Dragon's Eye and the Fangthane Gold, and so your total is 11. Compare your total to the roll of 2d6: 5 is lower than your total.

You place your trophies upon the altar and beseech the spirits of your ancestors to help you in your quest. At first, silence is your only response, but then a powerful gust blasts into the tent, sending Valgrek’s mystic paraphernalia flying into the air and threatening to uproot the tent itself. Voices can be heard on the wind, speaking as one and carrying the combined wisdom of the ages.

‘You must save our people. Your heart is true and your offering is worthy. You shall join our ranks and become the next chieftain of the tribe.’

The charcoal map on the side of the tent begins to glow, its once-black lines now shining brilliantly in gold. The glow starts in the spot where Boneridge Village is marked out; it then moves southwards, tracing a path to a large, roughly circular area deep in the south of the Plain of Bones.

‘Seek the wizard’s crystal that was made to undo the evil of the gem. Seek the resting place of the mighty lords of old. You must save them...’ The glow fades from the map and the voices die away on the wind. You have your answer. Restore 2 Luck points.

Now you know your destination – the Cauldron: a vast and verdant valley that lies far to the south of Boneridge. According to the ancient tribal tales it was once the site of a powerful and wondrous civilization, but their people grew too proud and their kingdom was cast down. Now the Cauldron is said to be a cursed place, populated with giant monsters and haunted by the spectres of the vengeful dead. Nevertheless, that is where you must go if you are to have any hope of saving your people.

It is now the middle of the night. You decide to find a place to sleep and set off at first light. The rest does you well, and you can restore up to 4 Stamina points.

As the sun rises on another morning, you and Kuwi set about gathering some supplies for the journey ahead. You may take up to five Provisions and five flammable torches with you, but remember that you can only hold ten items in your rucksack at a time. You automatically take five Meals and three Torches, unless you wish to vote otherwise.

Kuwi is now your travelling companion, and she will aid you in battle against any opponents you may face. You may add 2 to your Attack Strength while she accompanies you.

Paru was your companion previously.

As you are leaving the village, you encounter Paru wandering the other way, confusion and distress written on his face. You fill him in on the treachery of Valgrek and the enslavement of the tribe. At the conclusion of your tale his expression turns to one of grim determination. ‘Lead the way,’ he says, ‘I’ll follow you anywhere.’

Paru will no longer fire arrows at your enemies; instead he adds a further 2 points to your Attack Strength, for a total bonus of +4 from both your companions. Now a trio, you leave Boneridge Village behind, the fate of your people resting in your hands.

You hurry south; knowing that time is of the essence. Valgrek and his captives have quite a head start on you and any delay on your part could see your people lost forever. You now have a stat called Delays; it begins at 0.

The further you travel south, the greener the scenery gets; dry, barren dirt turns to lush, grass-covered plains sprinkled with clumps of shrubs and spindly, leafy trees.

By mid-morning you reach the pile of stones that marks the southernmost border of Boneridge territory. Beyond this point lies the forbidden land that leads to the Cauldron. For the first time ever, you step beyond the marker, into a realm of ghosts and ancient evils.

Eventually you come across a vast clearing in the middle of the grasslands. The sandy ground is carpeted with bones of all shapes and sizes.

You walk through the bone-strewn clearing, past the grinning skulls of long-dead monsters and thighbones that tower above you. The vast ribcage of some leviathan arches overhead, forming a bizarre ossific avenue down which you wander.

A menacing snarl echoes through the boneyard. Before your astonished eyes, a large creature materializes out of thin air, its bipedal body shimmering with an ethereal green light. It stalks towards you on two clawed legs, its stunted forelimbs waving futilely. Tiny, hungry eyes, crested by a pair of thick horns, glare at you above the carnivore’s slavering, box-like jaws. You have disturbed the spirits of the dinosaur graveyard and must fight its guardian!

SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Skill 10 Stamina 12

George Attack Strength: 25, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 22. SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS's Stamina is 10
George Attack Strength: 18, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 20. George's Stamina is 8
George Attack Strength: 25, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 16. SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS's Stamina is 8
George Attack Strength: 17, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 20. George's Stamina is 6
George Attack Strength: 17, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 16. SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS's Stamina is 6
George Attack Strength: 23, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 15. SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS's Stamina is 4
George Attack Strength: 18, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 20. George's Stamina is 4
George Attack Strength: 17, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 15. SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS's Stamina is 2
George Attack Strength: 22, SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS Attack Strength: 18. SPECTRAL CARNOTAURUS is dead.

It is just past midday when you arrive at the edge of the Cauldron, a vast circular valley created by a cataclysmic event in ancient times. It stretches out before you, a verdurous, steaming expanse of grasslands and jungle. The land to the east is dominated by the remnants of a once-mighty empire; its crumbling ruins poke haphazardly out of the ground like jagged teeth. To the west the lush terrain becomes a large swamp, carpeted with reeds. In the distant south the far side of the Cauldron pushes up against the impenetrable Mountains of Grief. Somewhere in this immense crater lies the key to the salvation of your tribe.

First, however, you must find safe passage down into the valley. The cliffs here are too steep to descend, but a short distance to the right a steep, narrow track plunges down to the valley floor. In some places it is little more than a thin ledge poking out from the sheer cliff walls. Clearly it will be a dangerous trail to take, but also the most direct. Following the crater’s edge around to the left you see that the cliffs give way to a gentle pass, but it will take you at least a couple of hours to reach.

Descend the path to the right?
Head left and take the longer journey to the pass?

You head right.

A small group of Threehorns are grazing near the cliff’s edge, intently clipping the grass with their beaked mouths. They are so dedicated to their task that they do not even raise their frilled heads as you approach them.

A furious roar echoes out over the valley as a savage predator suddenly bursts out from a clump of nearby trees, charging towards the Threehorns on two powerful legs. The horned herbivores do not fail to react to this intruder; they bellow warnings to each other and instinctively form a protective circle around their weaker members.

You keep your distance and watch as the savage carnivore singles out a Threehorn and drives it away from the herd – directly towards you! You quickly back away from the battling beasts, only to find the cliffs blocking off your only avenue of escape. The two adversaries, predator and prey, continue their brutal fight to the death, the Threehorn thrusting with its deadly horns and the predator snapping back with slavering, teeth-filled jaws.

You did previously encounter Sefu.

Suddenly you hear a familiar voice cry out. Sefu charges out of the bushes, brandishing his hunting spear. He plunges the weapon deep into the flank of the carnivore, which roars in pain. At the same time, the Threehorn charges, goring its foe’s belly with its terrible horns. The carnivore staggers away, blood pouring from its mortal wounds. Sefu stands before you, a bemused expression etched on his face, as the tri-horned victor gallops away to rejoin its herd.

‘Again you try to steal my kill?’ he exclaims. Ignoring his inflammatory accusation, you quickly fill Sefu in on your quest and the fate of your tribe. He smacks his forehead in dismay. ‘I’ve completely lost track of time! After you spoiled my kill I became obsessed with finding another target worthy of my talent. I started tracking that brute yesterday and forgot all about the judging ceremony. It matters not; I’m clearly the winner.’

You interrupt Sefu’s boasting and impress on him the urgency of your mission. He agrees to join you, if only to prove that he is the greater warrior. You may add a further +2 to your Attack Strength while he is with you. Regain 1 Luck point for this fortunate encounter.

Leaving the spooked Threehorns behind, you find the track leading down to the Cauldron and begin your descent.

With the utmost care you edge down the steep track, trying to focus on the impossibly slim strip of terrain in front of you and not the valley floor that lays hundreds of feet below. The trail continues to narrow until it is barely the width of your footprint. You are forced to hug the rock face and shuffle along the ledge, step by cautious step, as the wind whips about you, threatening to pull you away from the cliff to a gruesome death. One misstep and your quest will be over in a single terrifying moment.

Test your Skill; a 7 succeeds. You are able to safely navigate along the ledge until it widens once more.

The track continues to wind a torturous path down the face of the cliff. Eventually it terminates in a steep, boulder-strewn slope that covers the last dozen metres to the valley floor. Half-walking, half-sliding on the loose rocks, you negotiate your way to the bottom of the Cauldron. Roll 1d6; the result is a 2.

You make it to the valley floor, but your companion is not so lucky. Kuwi loses her footing on the slope and tumbles head over heels to the bottom. You rush to her aid as she gets to her feet, gingerly nursing an arm that appears to be broken. Using the abundant flora that grows all around you, you are able to fashion a splint for Kuwi’s wounded limb. Fortunately she is still able to accompany you, but she is no longer able to fight at your side.

At last you have made it to the bottom of the Cauldron. You are surrounded by greenery more lush and verdant than you have ever witnessed before. The shattered remnants of a once-mighty kingdom lie jumbled before you, covered in moss and tangled vines. Insects as large as your arm whir overhead, darting between the vibrant flowers that seem to carpet every surface. It astounds you that a place so full of life is also a haunt for the restless dead.

Somewhere in this valley is the key to discovering where Valgrek has taken your people, and you are sure it lies somewhere in the ancient stone ruins that dot the landscape. Off to your left stand the remains of a tower, leaning awkwardly towards the distant mountains. To the right an enormous columned building sits atop a great spur of rock thrust out of the broken earth. Immediately before you is a dark opening that leads beneath the ground, but to where you do not know. Now, where will you begin your search?

The leaned tower?
The columned building?
The dark opening?

Also vote on how many Meals to eat before you get to this point.

Name: George
Sex: Male
Skill: 10/11
Stamina: 4/15
Luck: 10/10
Weapon: Shining Sword
Rucksack contents: Rope, Charm of Endurance, Meal, Meal, Meal, Meal, Meal, Torch, Torch, Torch
Companions: Kuwi, Paru (+2 Attack Strength), Sefu (+2 Attack Strength)
Delays: 0
Special Notes: Circlet of Hamaskis
Deaths: Mercilessly crushed by Thrandeus, eaten by a dragon, mercilessly crushed by Thrandeus, driven insane by a creature from nightmare, mercilessly crushed by Thrandeus, blown up by igniting natural gas, torn to shreds by Lizard Men
Queen of Swords
Prince

Eat two meals and try the tower since we now have a magical weapon.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second that.

(Also, I vote we now call the character George Dragonslayer...which is oddly appropriate, now that I think of it. And boast about finally having a magical weapon)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat three meals, and head to the tower.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Eating two meals wins 2-1. If anyone would rather not add Dragonslayer to George's name, speak up now.

In centuries past, the ancient tower would have stretched proudly into the sky. Now, however, its crumbling stone blocks are tilting dangerously to the south, bound together by little more than the choking vines that cover its surface. You cannot find a doorway and so enter the tower through a window that is close to ground level. Inside you find the remains of a twisting stairwell that leads both upwards and downwards into darkness.

You go down the stairs.

You carefully work your way down the winding staircase, stepping over gaps where the stonework has crumbled away. The sunlight from above slowly fades until you are navigating through near-total darkness. You may light your torch if you wish.

Eventually you come across a gap in the stairs that is too vast to step across. Your only hope is to leap across the gulf to where the steps continue once more.

You jump across.

You Test your Skill; a 5 succeeds, but you have more than five items in your rucksack. You land on the stair on the other side, but it gives way under your weight, dropping you into the darkness.

The cold wind whistles past you as you plunge into the darkness. Several awful moments pass before you crash into the hard, stone-flagged floor of the tower. Take (1d6+2) 5 damage. You stagger to your feet and get your bearings.

The floor of the tower is littered with the broken remnants of the steps that have crumbled away over the years. A row of exotic metal weapons lines the curved stone wall, hanging from metal hooks. An arched doorway leads to a small, dark cave.

Light a torch and examine the weapons?
Examine the weapons without lighting a torch?
Light a torch and explore the cave?
Explore the cave without lighting a torch?
Climb the stairs and leave the tower?

Name: George Dragonslayer
Stamina: 7/15
Rucksack contents: Rope, Charm of Endurance, Meal, Meal, Meal, Torch, Torch, Torch, _________, _________
Deaths: Mercilessly crushed by Thrandeus, eaten by a dragon, mercilessly crushed by Thrandeus, driven insane by a creature from nightmare, mercilessly crushed by Thrandeus, blown up by igniting natural gas, torn to shreds by Lizard Men
Queen of Swords
Prince

Eat a meal, light a torch and examine the weapons (IIRC, the only thing in the cave was the mushroom that temporarily lost us a skill point).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat two meals, light a torch, and check out the weapons.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I vote to eat one meal, light torch and examine weapons.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Only one entry since you fell; you can't eat more than one Meal anyway.

There are weapons of all sorts hanging from the wall – swords, axes, halberds, clubs and javelins – all of them rusted and useless. Except, that is, for one gleaming blade that appears to have escaped the ravages of time. The moment you touch the sword, the temperature seems to drop by several degrees. A chilling green mist appears in the tower, coalescing into the hazy shape of an armoured warrior. The ghostly form drifts towards you, bearing a spectral replica of the sword hanging on the wall. ‘The power of Thrandeus endures! The Slaver Gem commands me still, beyond death until the end of time!’ the spectre moans.

SPECTRE Skill 9 Stamina 9

Because you are carrying a lit torch, you fight with no penalty. Whenever the Spectre wins an Attack Round, you have a 50% chance of losing one Skill.

That being the case, pause for votes on how to use Luck here.

Stamina: 11/15
Rucksack contents: Rope, Charm of Endurance, Meal, Meal, Torch, Torch, _________, _________, _________, _________
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

We have 2 +2 companions and 1 more skill, so I vote for not using up our luck, but only half to avoid a tie.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 16, SPECTRE Attack Strength: 13. SPECTRE's Stamina is 7
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 23, SPECTRE Attack Strength: 14. SPECTRE's Stamina is 5
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 26, SPECTRE Attack Strength: 11. SPECTRE's Stamina is 3
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 19, SPECTRE Attack Strength: 17. SPECTRE's Stamina is 1
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 20, SPECTRE Attack Strength: 21. George Dragonslayer's Stamina is 9. George Dragonslayer does not lose Skill.
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 22, SPECTRE Attack Strength: 17. SPECTRE is dead.

You may choose to take the sword on the wall; its keen blade does 3 damage rather than 2, but it is not a magic weapon and you only have room on your belt for one weapon. Vote accordingly.

Explore the cave?
Climb back up the stairs?

Stamina: 9/15
Rucksack contents: Rope, Charm of Endurance, Meal, Meal, Torch, Torch, _________, _________, _________, _________
Queen of Swords
Prince

I was hoping that even if we couldn't use the sword, we could give it to one of our companions.

Oh well. Climb back up the stairs.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat a meal, leave the sword so George can keep his Shining Sword, and go back up the stairs.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Took ages to find a magic sword, keep it and back up the stairs.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You eat a Meal and clamber back up the staircase to the window where you first entered the tower. This time you are ready for the gap in the steps and jump it easily. Gain 1 Delays.

Go into the columned building?
Go into the dark opening?

Stamina: 13/15
Rucksack contents: Rope, Charm of Endurance, Meal, Torch, Torch, _________, _________, _________, _________, _________
Delays: 1
Queen of Swords
Prince

Dark opening, go right, open door 42 and investigate the two doorways.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I will also vote for this plan.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The humid heat of the surrounding jungle swiftly gives way to a chilling cold as you enter the gloomy opening. It is difficult to see anything in the darkness; if you still possess an unlit torch, you can choose to light it now. If you do not, you have a -4 Attack Strength penalty until you return to daylight.

You descend a steep set of stairs that plunge into the earth for what feels like hundreds of metres. Eventually they terminate at a tunnel that continues along for a short distance before meeting a T-junction. Hanging on the wall in front of you is a large stone disc, carved with the image of crossed swords above a mythical winged serpent. Below this is a metal plate engraved with peculiar markings that, thanks to the Circlet of Hamaskis, you can read.

I – XXVI < Behold the Kings of Celenasia > XXVII – LII

The passage continues on for a short way before coming to a dead end. Set into the walls of the passage are doorways, facing each other in pairs. Solid stone doors block most of the doorways, but the final ten are dark and empty. There are no handles in any of the doors, making the method of how to open them something of a mystery, but each is inscribed with a mysterious symbol.

You know that the Emperor at the time Celenasia fell was named Thrandeus the Mighty and that he was the forty-second emperor.

You stand before the doorway marked XLII – the tomb of Thrandeus, the forty-second and final king of Celenasia. You push and pull at the door, but to no avail; it will not budge. Finally, in desperation, you yell out to the door: ‘Open! Open so that I may look upon Thrandeus the Mighty!’

At your command, the door slowly grinds backwards and then slides to the side, clearing the doorway. You step into a massive, high-ceiling chamber, supported by rows of thick columns carved with disturbing, writhing shapes. Similar esoteric designs feature in the tapestries and paintings that line the walls. The richly-carpeted stone floors are piled high with trinkets of gold and silver and studded with valuable stones. Dominating the centre of the vast chamber is a mighty stone sarcophagus. In the far wall of the room are set two more stone doorways.

The treasure is of no interest to you at the moment.

Two more stone doors are set into the back wall of the crypt but, unlike the entrance to this chamber, they are much smaller and each has an iron ring bolted into its surface. Also affixed to each door is a brass nameplate – the one on the left reads ‘Andilicus – King’s Physician,’ while the one of the right reads ‘Vendictus – Court Sorcerer.’

Open the door on the left?
Open the door on the right?
Leave the chamber and explore the empty doorways at the end of the passage?

Also, vote on whether to light a torch.

Stamina: 13/15
Rucksack contents: Rope, Charm of Endurance, Meal, Torch, Torch, _________, _________, _________, _________, _________
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Visit the court physician cause we have a magic weapon now.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, let’s see if there’s any loot in his chamber.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Alright, let's see if resisting fascism by visiting the physician's door will pay off this time.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Yanking on the iron ring, you pull open the heavy door, revealing a small, narrow chamber. There are only two things in the room. One is another stone sarcophagus, plain and unadorned. The other is the former owner of said sarcophagus-–the rotting remains of Andilicus, King’s Physician! The undead wretch staggers towards you, bony claws reaching for your throat!

CRYPT STALKER Skill 8 Stamina 7

If the Crypt Stalker wins two consecutive Attack Rounds, it will wrap its claws around your neck and throttle you for 1d6 damage that round and each round until you break its grip by winning the Attack Round.

George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 16, CRYPT STALKER Attack Strength: 16.
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 19, CRYPT STALKER Attack Strength: 11. CRYPT STALKER's Stamina is 5
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 17, CRYPT STALKER Attack Strength: 18. George Dragonslayer's Stamina is 11
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 20, CRYPT STALKER Attack Strength: 13. CRYPT STALKER's Stamina is 3
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 22, CRYPT STALKER Attack Strength: 12. CRYPT STALKER's Stamina is 1
George Dragonslayer Attack Strength: 23, CRYPT STALKER Attack Strength: 14. CRYPT STALKER is dead.

The putrid corpse drops to the floor, lifeless once more. You open the physician’s tomb and find a single glass vial, filled with a green liquid. You pick up the vial, coated with the dust of ages, and unstopper it. The acrid smell of the liquid inside stings your nostrils.

Drink the liquid?
Leave and go in the righthand door (gain 1 Delays)?
Leave and leave this chamber to explore the empty doorways at the end of the passage (gain 1 Delays)?

Stamina: 11/15
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm curious about the liquid, so let's try it.