[Let's Play] Lone Wolf - Kai Series

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Lone Wolf - Kai Series

Post by SGamerz »

If there's noise of actual battle, it indicates a possible ally, which makes it less likely that we'd have to fight single-handed...unlike that previous encounter where we only have helpless civilian and children on our side and actually DID have to fight single-handed. Approach the noise.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted; heading nearer to this battle-noise wins by a 3-1 vote.

183. Five Giaks clad in dull-red uniforms make a desperate frontal attack upon the sanctorium with their spears held in readiness to stab the apprentice magician.

You have covered about a mile of thick woodland when you hear a curious noise coming from somewhere beyond the trees ahead. It is a sharp crack, like the sound of a distant thunderclap. There is a pause for a few moments before you hear it again. You stop to listen and your keen hearing detects other sounds – the clank of armor and the angry shouts of Giaks. Forewarned of possible danger, you advance through the trees with caution now until you reach the edge of a wide clearing. The ground beyond is littered with the remnants of ancient buildings which have been leveled and eroded by the passing of many centuries. You have visited this place on one previous occasion and recognize it to be the ruins of Raumas, an ancient forest settlement and temple that was constructed during the Age of the Old Kingdoms.
     A war party of Giaks, some twenty-five to thirty strong, is attacking the temple sanctorium – the one structure in all of Raumas that remains partially intact. A similar number of Giaks lie dead or dying among the broken pillars of ancient marble that surround this inner temple but, despite their heavy losses, the enemy are maintaining their assault against whatever it is that lies hidden inside. Suddenly, a bolt of blue lightning rips through the front rank of Giaks sending the armor-clad creatures tumbling in all directions. A Giak, taller than the others and dressed from head to foot in black chainmail, curses at his faltering troops and whips them forward again with a barbed flail.
     With weapon ready, you leave the tree line and enter the ruins. The tumble of fallen columns and broken, moss-covered walls provide you with plenty of cover in which to hide from the Giaks. You are able to make your way unseen to a ring of broken pillars encircling the sanctorium, and from here you try to catch a glimpse of the defenders. To your amazement, the inner temple is being defended by a young man no older than yourself. You recognize his sky-blue robes, embroidered with moons and stars. He is a young member of the Magicians’ Guild of Toran: an apprentice in magic.
     Whipped on by their leader, five Giaks clad in dull-red uniforms make a desperate frontal attack upon the sanctorium with their spears held in readiness to stab the apprentice magician. You catch a fleeting glimpse of his blue robes as he hurriedly retreats to the rear of the inner temple ruins. Then you see him turn and raise his left hand just moments before a bolt of blue flame shoots from his fingertips into the snarling Giak soldiers, scattering them to the ground. Close to where you are hiding, you see a purple-clad Giak scuttle past and climb one of the pillars at the rear of the sanctorium. He has a long curved dagger in his mouth and he is getting ready to jump on the young wizard standing below.
     If you wish to shout a warning to the young wizard, turn to 363.
     If you wish to run forward and try to intercept the Giak when he jumps, turn to 78.
     If you wish to pick up a chunk of temple marble and throw it at the Giak’s head, turn to 461.

Lone Wolf gains 1 ENDURANCE from the non-combat section, and witnesses a group of Giaks attempting to slaughter a communist. Please make your votes on the best way to help this comrade before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
2. Healing: +1 ENDURANCE point for each section without combat
3. Hunting: no need for a Meal when instructed to eat
4. Mindblast: +2 COMBAT SKILL points
5. Mindshield: no points lost when attacked by Mindblast
WEAPONS:
1. Sword (+1 COMBAT SKILL)
2. Double-bladed Axe (+1 COMBAT SKILL)
BACKPACK:
1. Laumspur (+4 ENDURANCE)
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Meal
4. Laumspur (+4 ENDURANCE)
5. Laumspur (+4 ENDURANCE)
6. Alether (+2 COMBAT SKILL for one fight)
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Shield (+2 COMBAT SKILL when used in combat)
• Kai Gold Key
BELT POUCH: 16 Gold Crowns
COMBAT SKILL: 15
ENDURANCE POINTS: 16/22
RULES:
• When in combat, stop to ask whether to use any items or abilities if ENDURANCE is less than 11 or Combat Ratio is less than -4
FASCIST KILL COUNT: 14
RESURRECTIONS USED: 0
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Shout a warning. Only one that takes neither time nor aim.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Shout a warning.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; shouting a warning to the well-educated communist.

The wizard heeds your cry and spins around just in time to loose a searing bolt of energy at the Giak. The creature’s head disintegrates in flames and its twitching body falls in a heap at the foot of the pillar. The Giak officer sees you and shouts: “Taag dok!”
     Immediately, two grim-faced Giaks detach themselves from the others and come running towards you with their swords raised high. They are eager and determined to cut you down.

Giaks:
COMBAT SKILL 14       ENDURANCE 17

If you win this combat, turn to 142.

The combat:
Combat Ratio: 15 + 2 (Mindblast) + 2 (Kai Shield) + 1 (Sword) – 14 = 6
Round 1 Roll: 5
Player Endurance: 16 – 2 = 14
Giaks Endurance: 17 – 10 = 7
Round 2 Roll: 4
Player Endurance: 14 – 2 = 12
Giaks Endurance: 7 – 9 = -2

Thanks to getting somewhat decent rolls, Lone Wolf kills the two fascists in two rounds while losing only 4 ENDURANCE points in the process.

The Giak officer is shocked to see that you have beaten his troops so skillfully in hand-to-hand combat. He shouts: “Ogot! Ogot!” and immediately his remaining troops respond to his command to retreat. As one, they abandon the ruins and run for the safety of the surrounding forest.
     The black-clad Giak leader follows them. He pauses for a few moments when he reaches the tree line, and turns to stare in your direction. Shaking his mailed fist, he screams: “Raneg rogag ok! Orgadaka okak rogag gaj!” Then he turns his back on you and strides off into the trees.
     Surveying the scene of the recent battle, you count fifteen Giak dead lying among the ancient pillars and shattered ruins of Raumas. The young wizard emerges from the sanctorium. He wipes his brow and walks towards you with a smile on his face, his hand extended in friendship.
     Turn to 547.

This apprentice magician is a short-haired youth with deep brooding eyes. His face is lined with exhaustion and the grime of battle, and his long sky-blue robes bear evidence that he has slept rough in the wild the previous evening. He shakes your hand and bows with formal courtesy.
     “My eternal thanks, Kai warrior. My modest powers are nearly drained. Had you not come to my aid, I fear I would have ended my days atop a Giak lance.”
     He is weak and unsteady on his feet. You take his arm and sit him down upon a fallen pillar where you listen intently to the story he has to tell.
     “My name is Banedon. I am Journeyman to the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, the Magicians’ Guild of Toran. My Guildmaster sent me to the Kai with this urgent message.” He removes a vellum envelope from inside his robes and hands it to you.
     “As you see, I have opened the letter and read its contents. When the invasion began, I was on the King’s Highway with two traveling companions. Kraan attacked us and we lost each other in the forest during our escape.”
     The letter is a warning to Kai Grand Master Brave Blade that Darklord Zagarna has mustered a vast army beyond the Durncrag Range. Their movements and true numbers have been kept hidden by powerful spells of shielding and illusion. The Guildmaster urges the Grand Master to cancel the celebrations of Fehmarn and prepare immediately for war.
     “I fear we were betrayed,” says Banedon, his head bowed in sorrow. “One of my order, a senior brother called Vonotar, was discovered to have been experimenting with the forbidden mysteries of Nadziranim magic – the Black Arts of the Darklords. Ten days ago he denounced the Brotherhood and killed one of our Elders. He has since disappeared. We believe he is now in league with Darklord Zagarna.”
     You tell Banedon what has happened at the monastery, and of your mission to reach Holmgard and warn King Ulnar. Silently, he removes a gold chain from around his neck and hands it to you. From the chain hangs a small Crystal Star Pendant.

“It is the symbol of my Brotherhood, and we are both truly kin in this hour of darkness. It is a talisman of good fortune and a ward against evil. May it protect you on your road ahead.”
     You thank him, place the chain around your neck, and slip the pendant inside the top of your tunic. (Remember to mark this Crystal Star Pendant as a Special Item on your Action Chart. It notably allows you to repick one number from the Random Number Table per adventure.)
     Once his strength has returned, Banedon bids you a reluctant farewell.
     “We must leave this place lest the Giaks return with more of their loathsome kind to put an end to us. For my part, I suppose my mission is done. I have delivered my message and now I must return at once to my Guild. For your part, Lone Wolf, you still have many miles to go before you reach Holmgard.”
     Banedon gets to his feet and points towards the trees at the southern perimeter of the ruins. “That way lies Alema Bridge. It is by far the swiftest route from here to Holmgard… yet it may no longer be the safest. I bid you farewell, my brother. May the blessings of Kai and Ishir go with you.”
     (You may wish to note on your Action Chart that you have visited the Ruins of Raumas for future reference.)
     Turn to 448.

With a wave of his hand, Banedon bids you farewell and heads off into the trees at the northeastern edge of the ruins. You return his wave and then continue your mission, pushing on through the dense woodland that fringes the southern part of Raumas, heading in the direction Banedon recommended.
     The going is difficult here, but you draw comfort from the fact that the thick canopy of branches overhead is keeping you hidden from enemy flyers. Frequently you catch glimpses of Kraan and Zlanbeast in the skies above. You have covered little more than three miles of this thick woodland when you see a flight of six Zlanbeast pass overhead. They are carrying cargo nets filled with Giaks, similar to those which attacked the Kai monastery at dawn.
     The trees begin to thin out and you see a forest track in the middle distance. Upon reaching the edge of this track, you see two Giaks standing guard over the trail. They are less than fifty yards away. You wait until they are both looking in the opposite direction, then you hurry across the trail and disappear into the timberland beyond. You have not gone very much further before you catch sight of a log hut nestled among the trees.
     If you wish to investigate this log hut, turn to 237.
     If you choose to ignore the hut and continue your trek through the forest, turn instead to 495.

Here’s the recap: Lone Wolf slaughters another 2 Giak fascists and loses 4 ENDURANCE points from the fight, but recovers 3 ENDURANCE from the following non-combat sections. In those sections, he finds out that the communist’s name is Banedon, who was far too late to deliver his message to Grand Master Brave Blade. Banedon gives Lone Wolf a consolation prize in the form a Crystal Star Pendant that allows rerolling one Random Number Table number per adventure. Lone Wolf then concludes his Ruins of Raumas visit and has the choice of checking out a log hut in the forest. Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT on whether to investigate the log hut or not and under which conditions to use the Crystal Star Pendant’s rerolling ability (as number rolling events are normally carried out without asking for votes) to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
WEAPONS:
BACKPACK:
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Meal
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Gold Key
• Crystal Star Pendant (Reroll one number per adventure, unused)
ENDURANCE POINTS: 15/22
RULES:
• When in combat, stop to ask whether to use any items or abilities if ENDURANCE is less than 11 or Combat Ratio is less than -4
FASCIST KILL COUNT: 16
NOTES:
• Visited the Ruins of Raumas
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Investigate the hut.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Investigate hut.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Investigate all the things.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; investigating the log hut.

You approach the side of the hut and peer through a thin gap in the logs. The interior is dark but your senses tell you that it is empty. Cautiously, you push open its creaky door and enter. The interior is sparsely furnished with a bed, a chair and a rickety old table. The air smells strongly of wood smoke and fish. Hanging on the wall beside a portrait of King Ulnar, there is a Fishing Rod and a Coil of Rope (Backpack Items). You also discover a Potion of Laumspur tucked under the bed’s straw mattress. (This healing potion will restore 4 ENDURANCE points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough here for one dose).
     Judging from the sturdy construction of the fishing rod, you determine that this hut must belong to a fisherman who makes his livelihood from the River Unoram. The river is famed for the size and quality of its salmon, and a good price can be had from the citizens of Holmgard and Toran for this fish, especially if it has been filleted and smoked.
     You are about to investigate an interior door of the hut when you hear movement outside. You detect the sound of booted feet approaching and voices speaking softly. They are Giak voices.
     If you choose to try to hide from the approaching Giaks, turn to 116.
     If you decide to leave the hut quickly and seek shelter in the forest, turn to 86.

Lone Wolf gains 1 more ENDURANCE POINT from the non-combat section, and has the choice of picking up to three types of Backpack Items in the hut, although he would need to leave behind one Backpack Item to take them all. Please make your votes on whether to hide or run and also which items to take and what to leave behind, if necessary, before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
WEAPONS:
BACKPACK:
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Meal
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Gold Key
ENDURANCE POINTS: 16/22
RULES:
NOTES:
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Where's the "ambush" option? Leave, then.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Leave.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We have Hunting, so we don't need the meal. Drop it and take all the 3 items.

(Besides, Meals prevent 3 END loss while Laumspur restores 4, so the latter is always more valuable.)

Since we are below max END, if others prefer to use a Laumspur on the spot to free up space, I'm okay with that too.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Oh, missed that vote. Take the Laumspur and the rope. Leave the fishing rod and don't drop anything (if we need to give someone else a Meal, Hunting won't cover that, and neither will Laumspur).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; leaving the hut quickly and seeking shelter in the forest. Going to break the item tie and have Lone Wolf drop the Meal and pick up the Fishing Rod, Coil of Rope, and Potion of Laumspur.

Hurriedly, you make your way through the trees, eager to put distance between yourself and the Giaks at the fisherman’s hut. After a short while you notice that the floor of the forest is beginning a gradual descent. You scour the surrounding timberland and, through the trees ahead, you catch a few tantalizing glimpses of the River Unoram. At the point where you are now approaching, the river is almost a mile wide.
     This major watercourse is one of the three great rivers of Sommerlund, the other two being the Tor and the Eledil. The Unoram tumbles down from the central Durncrag Mountains and joins with the Eledil before flowing out into the seas of the Holmgulf. A great bridge was constructed many centuries ago to span the river, and as you push on through the trees, you catch sight of the twin stone towers that guard the approach ramp and gateway to this bridge’s monumental span. In the shadow of the towers there is an area of levelled ground, paved with ancient slabs of granite worn smooth by the passage of years. This paved area is known as the Alema Mitre. It has often been used as a meeting and trading place for merchants, but now it is being used for a much more sinister purpose.
     The Alema Mitre is teeming with Giaks and Drakkarim assault troops. Landed by air in cargo nets slung beneath the bellies of Zlanbeast, these troops are mustering in readiness to support a fierce battle that is now being waged in the center of the bridge. You judge that it would be suicidal to try to cross the Alema Mitre for it is choked with enemy troops. But you are mindful too that any attempt to swim across the river at this point would be just as likely to fail. The water is icy cold, and you would be vulnerable to an attack by Kraan for most of the crossing.
     Having decided that it is impossible to go any further in this direction, you backtrack into the forest and make a wide detour around the Alema Mitre. Unless you possess the Kai Discipline of Hunting, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.
     To continue, turn to 469.

Lone Wolf does possess the Kai Discipline of Hunting, so he has no need for a Meal and instead catches, cooks and eats a little rabbit (or any wildlife of your choice) to sustain himself.

You pass through the dense timberland and soon arrive at a turnpike running parallel to the great river. For several minutes you remain hidden in the undergrowth at the edge of the road while you observe the movements of enemy troops. The tops of the twin towers of the bridge’s grand gatehouse are still visible in the middle distance. Your detour through the forest has brought you to a place three hundred yards downstream of the bridge.
     There is an increasing amount of activity on this forest roadway as enemy troops, recently landed at the Alema Mitre, are using it to form into attack columns in preparation for an advance onto the bridge. You must get across the turnpike without being seen and then make your way down to the water’s edge. You can only hope that once you reach the riverbank, you will be able to find some way of getting across to the other side.
     Patiently, you await your chance to make a dash across the forest road and into the undergrowth opposite. An armored column of Drakkarim come marching past on their way to the bridge. You wait a few moments after the last of their number has passed by, then you take a deep breath, fix your eyes upon the trees opposite, and launch yourself across the turnpike at a run.
     Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess the Kai Discipline of Hunting, add 1 to the number you have chosen. If you possess the Kai Discipline of Camouflage, add 2.
     If your total score is now 4 or less, turn to 320.
     If it is 5 or more, turn to 125.

Lone Wolf possess the Kai Discipline of Hunting, but not the Kai Discipline of Camouflage. Rolling the die and applying the appropriate modification yields a 9, so we will turn to 125.

You race across the road and dive for cover among the bushes. Once you are sure that you have not been seen, you crawl away from the turnpike and make your way down to the water’s edge. Here you rest for a short while among the tall grasses which fringe the river bank, and marvel at the significance of the Alema Bridge.
     This ancient river viaduct is a little over one mile long. It comprises a series of elegant stone compression arches, interrupted at regular intervals by grand towers and huge granite piers. At its center stands the Durnstone. For many centuries, this wide central pier of the Alema Bridge has been used as a marketplace. Merchants from Holmgard and Toran come here to buy fish, timber, and ore from the Fryelunding – the hardy Sommlending of the west who make their livelihood in the forests and foothills of the Durncrag Mountains.
     A fierce battle is now raging on the Durnstone. Amidst smoke and flame, you can see the winged horse standards of Crown Prince Pelethar, and the broken skull battle-flags of Darklord Zagarna’s vanguard. Alerted by the signal from the crystal beacon, the Prince has hurriedly gathered his elite troops and ridden here from the King’s Citadel in Holmgard. Alema is of great strategic importance, for if Prince Pelethar can prevent the spearhead of Zagarna’s forces from capturing this bridge, the Darklord will be denied one of the shortest overland routes between the Durncrags and Holmgard. This will buy for King Ulnar an extra day, maybe two, in which to muster the Sommlending army in defense of the realm.

125. A fierce battle is now raging on the huge central granite pier of the Alema Bridge.

You determine that your best hope for survival now lies with the Prince and the court guard, his elite bodyguard. If only you can reach his battle line, you feel sure that he will help you complete your mission. He and his brave troops are less than half a mile away, but if you are to reach them, you will first have to find or fight your way through the enemy who occupy this half of the great bridge. There are no boats moored along the river bank, and the water is far too cold to swim the mile to the opposite bank. With no other options open, you resolve to find a way to get across the bridge as quickly as possible.
     Under cover of the tall grasses, you make your way upstream to the nearest of the bridge’s two gatehouse towers. At the base of each tower there is an iron ladder which ascends to a loading hatch located just beneath the wide central span of the bridge road. If you can climb one of these ladders and gain access to its tower by way of the hatch, you will avoid having to use the busy approach ramp where the concentration of enemy troops is greatest.
     If you wish to climb the nearest ladder and attempt to enter the downstream tower by way of its loading hatch, turn to 62.
     If you decide to make your way under the bridge and then climb the ladder which is fixed to the base of the upstream tower, turn instead to 119.

Lone Wolf regains 3 additional ENDURANCE points from the non-combat sections, and is now faced with a decision on which ladder to take. Please make your votes on which of the two towers is more suitable for our hero before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
WEAPONS:
BACKPACK:
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Fishing Rod
7. Potion of Laumspur (+4 ENDURANCE)
8. Coil of Rope
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Gold Key
ENDURANCE POINTS: 19/22
RULES:
NOTES:
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Go under the bridge.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Under sounds better, yeah.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; heading under the bridge and then climbing the upstream tower ladder.

You climb to the top of the iron ladder and wrench open the wooden hatch. It allows you access to a plain stone chamber located below the bridge level of the tower. A short flight of wooden steps ascend to a closed door. Lying in a heap at the bottom of these steps are the bodies of three Sommlending bridge guards. You examine their lifeless bodies and determine that they have been dead for several hours. Slain during the initial fight for the gatehouse after the first enemy troops were landed on the Alema Mitre, they have been carried from the bridge road and thrown into this storage chamber, along with their weapons and equipment. You find a Mace, an Axe, a Dagger, and two Spears (Weapons). You also discover a Backpack containing enough Food for 1 Meal, and 2 Potions of Laumspur. (These healing potions will each restore 4 ENDURANCE points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough here for two doses.)
     After saying a short prayer to goddess Ishir to gather and preserve the souls of these fallen soldiers, you unsheathe your weapon and climb the wooden steps to the chamber door. Carefully you twist the iron handle and ease open the heavy portal just an inch. Through the gap you can see a steady stream of enemy troops passing close by the gatehouse tower. They are on their way to reinforce the front line fighting at the Durnstone. Directly opposite the door is a flight of narrow stone steps that ascend to the top of the gatehouse arch. As soon as you see a break in the stream of reinforcements, you slip out of the door and hurry up the stairs.
     Turn to 242.

Lone Wolf gains 1 ENDURANCE from the noncombat section, and has a choice to switch his weapons and backpack items for a variety of loot. I assume that no weapons will be picked up here, but is there any interest in taking the Meal or Potions of Laumspur? Please make your votes on whether to take anything and what to drop in exchange before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
WEAPONS:
BACKPACK:
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Fishing Rod
8. Coil of Rope
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Gold Key
ENDURANCE POINTS: 20/22
RULES:
NOTES:
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Drop the fishing rod and take one Laumspur.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered; dropping the fishing rod and taking 1 Potion of Laumspur.

Upon reaching the top of the stairs, you crouch below the level of the crenelated parapet and observe the activity on the bridge road beneath. The approach to the gatehouse and the roadway to the Durnstone are littered with the debris of a battle which took place shortly after dawn, when the enemy first launched their surprise attack on Alema Bridge. The bridge guardians, although caught by surprise, put up a valiant fight and held the attackers at bay for several hours before they were overrun. The roadway is littered with broken carts, spilled cargoes, and the blood of those slain in battle. A steady stream of enemy reinforcements is making its way through this wreckage to the middle of the bridge where a bitter fight is being waged atop the Durnstone.
     You scan the roadway and notice two raised walkways running parallel on either side of the bridge. The enemy troops dominate the road, but very few are using these elevated pathways. You cross over the gatehouse arch and turn along a walkway, using your speed and stealth to avoid detection. You are able to get across the first bridge span and reach a gated tower with relative ease. But the tower gate is locked and so you are forced to descend to the roadway level in order to pass through its arch and continue onto the bridge’s second span. Using the overturned wagons and their scattered cargoes for cover, you avoid being seen as steadily you advance towards the arched towers at the end of this span. You have just stopped to take cover behind an overturned handcart and its spilled cargo of barrels, when you notice two Giaks emerging from the shadows of the second archway. They are rolling a barrel towards a large hole in the bridge’s stone parapet. Having jettisoned this barrel into the river, they return to the archway to collect another. These barrels are like the ones behind which you are now hiding. Closer inspection reveals squares of yellow vellum pasted on their wooden sides. On these leather labels are printed the following words in bright red ink:

At once you realize the significance of these barrels: they contain explosive powder. This is no ordinary cargo destined for the traders’ market. It has been conveyed here by Pelethar’s men with the express purpose of demolishing a section of the bridge, so as to prevent the enemy from crossing. But before all of the barrels could be placed and detonated, the enemy must have overrun the Prince’s engineers and forced them back to the Durnstone. One of the powder barrels has a length of grey cord hanging from a plugged hole in its side. It is a fuse: measured, trimmed, and ready for lighting.
     If you possess a Flint, or a Tinderbox (which contains a flint), and wish to use it to ignite the fuse cord, turn to 544.
     If you do not possess a Flint, or if you decide not to use it to ignite the fuse, turn instead to 359.

Lone Wolf does not have a Flint or a Tinderbox.

You wait in hiding for a chance to move on. A troop of Giaks passes close by, hurrying to support the battle now raging on the Durnstone. In the opposite direction comes a steady stream of casualties returning from the fight. They are being carried and stretchered back to the Alema Mitre. Enemy activity is increasing with every passing minute; it is too risky for you to remain here on the bridge road for very much longer. Only the parapets running alongside the roadway are devoid of enemy troops, but there are no access stairways nearby. To reach the upper walkway you must scale the high parapet wall.
     If you possess a Rope, turn to 377.
     If you do not possess this Backpack Item, turn instead to 491.

Lone Wolf possesses a Coil of Rope.

You pull the rope from your backpack and tie a chunk of broken masonry to one end. Then you cast the tied rock towards one of the crenels of the parapet and tug down hard. It catches in the corner of the embrasure and holds firm. As soon as there is a lull in enemy activity, you climb the line and haul yourself onto the walkway. Quickly you retrieve your rope and then coil it back into your pack as you run towards the tower at the start of the bridge’s third span.
     To continue, turn to 214.

The gate of this tower is unlocked and you are able to enter without being seen. You pass through the tower and race along the walkway of the third span towards the next set of towers and archways guarding the entrance to the Durnstone. In a narrow ungated tunnel passing through the nearest tower, you stop to observe the battle that is raging in the paved piazza below. In the center of this magnificent square, Prince Pelethar’s court guards are locked in mortal combat with Darklord Zagarna’s assault troops. The enemy have superior numbers and are trying to force their way through Pelethar’s line, but the Prince’s men are fighting like lions and holding them back. Through the smoke and turmoil of this vicious battle, you see the Prince locked in combat with a huge reptilian creature. It is a Gourgaz, a fearsome native of the Maakenmire Swamp. Zagarna has employed this murderous beast to lead his assault on the Alema Bridge, and for two reasons. Not only is it fearless and formidable in close combat, but it also exudes a scent which sends Giaks into a state of battle-frenzy. Under the influence of this odorless scent they will fight without fatigue or any regard for their own safety.
     The Gourgaz fights standing upright on its powerful hind legs. It towers above the other troops and wields its huge black battleaxe with terrible effect. Prince Pelethar is sheathed in silver plate armor that gleams like a mirror in the sun. His white tabard is emblazoned with a winged horse, his personal emblem, and the razor-sharp blade of his broadsword is embellished with the proud symbols of Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar. Pelethar seems to be winning his deadly duel with the monstrous Gourgaz until he is suddenly struck by an unlucky arrow. The Giak shaft penetrates the chainmail beneath his right armpit, and your heart skips a beat when you see him scream and falter. Sensing victory is imminent, the Gourgaz raises its great axe and strikes a mighty blow at the Prince’s visored helm. One of Pelethar’s court guards pushes him aside as the black axe whistles down. His swift action saves his wounded lord from being decapitated, but in so doing he sacrifices his right hand and forearm to the blade of the axe.
     With Pelethar wounded, the tide of this bloody battle turns swiftly in the enemy’s favor. You must move quickly now to join with the Prince’s command before it is forced to retreat from the Durnstone. From your position in the tower tunnel, you can see two ways to reach the piazza below. The first is by way of a broad marble staircase; the second is by way of a cargo line that is fixed by a pulley to the tower wall.
     If you wish to descend the marble stairs, turn to 256.
     If you choose instead to use the cargo line, turn to 115.

Once again, Lone Wolf is back to full ENDURANCE from the noncombat sections. Please make your votes on which way to take to reach the piazza before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
WEAPONS:
BACKPACK:
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Potion of Laumspur (+4 ENDURANCE)
8. Coil of Rope
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Gold Key
ENDURANCE POINTS: 22/22
RULES:
NOTES:
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Use the cargo line. The stairs are for Giaks.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Using the cargo line seems heroic and dramatic, so lets do that.

Shame we couldn't blow up the bridge (though "Boom Powder" isn't a great name)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Cargo line.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; using the cargo line.

Using your cloak to protect your hands, you grip the cargo rope tightly and then step off the edge of its loading platform. Swiftly you drop towards the piazza below, but your rate of descent is far quicker than anticipated for there is no counterweight on the line to slow your fall. At the base of the line are stacked several boxes and barrels. Fearful of crashing into these, you swing out on the rope and then release your grasp in the hope of avoiding them.
     Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess the Kai Discipline of Hunting, add 1 to the number you have chosen.
     If your total is now 3 or lower, turn to 232.
     If it is 4 or higher, turn to 424.

Lone Wolf does have the Kai Discipline of Hunting. Rolling the die and applying the appropriate modification yields a 2, so we will go to 232.

The heel of your left boot clips the top of a barrel and sends you crashing heavily to the hard stone surface of the Durnstone. The impact with the barrel sprains your left ankle, and the heavy fall to the ground leaves you with scrapes on your knees, elbows, and chin: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.
     If you have survived this bad landing, you may now continue by turning to 387.

Lone Wolf did survive this bad landing, so we will proceed to 387.

You hurry towards the parapet wall at the end of Pelethar’s battle line, to where the enemy is only three ranks deep. The Giaks fighting here are oblivious to your deadly approach and you are able to cut down their rear rank before they can react to your presence. You shout your battle cry: “For Sommerlund and the Kai!” and use a fallen Giak as a springboard to launch yourself into the air. The bloodied line of Pelethar’s court guards hear your battle cry above the din of the fighting, and a cheer goes up when they see you come leaping over the enemy’s heads. You hit the flagstones just beyond the line of court guards and roll over to lessen the impact of your landing. Moments later, you are hoisted to your feet by a burly court guard sergeant. He tugs back the hood of your cloak and a smile cracks his battle-grimy face upon seeing your Sommlending features.
     “Well fought, young warrior,” he says, “but where are the other Kai? Have they recaptured the Alema Mitre? Are they attacking the enemy’s reserves?”
     “No, sergeant,” you reply, shaking your head, “I… I am the only Kai.”
     The tough sergeant is visibly shocked by your answer.
     “Fall back to the archway!” he shouts, commanding his men to retreat. “We’ll regroup and hold a new line there.”
     Through the smoke of battle you see two soldiers carrying wounded Prince Pelethar away from the fight. They are shielded by a semicircle of court guards, standing shoulder-to-shoulder to form a protective wall against the pursuing enemy. Suddenly the Gourgaz appears from out of the battle-smoke, looming above them, its axe drawn back in readiness to strike. With a hideous cry, it takes a scything sweep at the wall of court guards and scatters them like leaves in a storm. The soldiers carrying Pelethar are both knocked down and the Prince is dropped to the ground. The Gourgaz strides forward and raises its axe once more. Weakened by his arrow wound and powerless to fight back, Pelethar snatches up a discarded shield and raises it to protect himself. The Gourgaz utters a disdainful laugh when it sees Pelethar cowering beneath the shield. It knows that it will not save the Prince from the crushing impact of its razor-sharp axe.

387. The Gourgaz strides forward and raises its axe once more. Pelethar snatches up a discarded shield and raises it to protect himself.

With his bodyguard torn and scattered across the ground, only you can save Prince Pelethar now. Without a moment’s hesitation, you draw your weapon and attack the mighty Gourgaz.

Gourgaz:
COMBAT SKILL 20       ENDURANCE 30

This creature is immune to Mindblast.
     If you win this combat, turn to 540.

The combat:
Combat Ratio: 15 + 2 (Kai Shield) + 1 (Sword) – 20 = -2
Round 1 Roll: 0
Player Endurance: 19 – 0 = 19
Gourgaz Endurance: 30 – 11 = 19
Round 2 Roll: 8
Player Endurance: 19 – 1 = 18
Gourgaz Endurance: 19 – 9 = 10
Round 3 Roll: 8
Player Endurance: 18 – 1 = 17
Gourgaz Endurance: 10 – 9 = 1
Round 4 Roll: 9
Player Endurance: 17 – 0 = 17
Gourgaz Endurance: 1 – 10 = -9

Thanks to continually getting very good rolls, Lone Wolf slays the Gourgaz in four rounds while only losing 2 ENDURANCE. Combining this kill with the 3 Giaks that I will say that the rear rank that Lone Wolf dispatched was made of, Lone Wolf has now slain 20 fascists in his adventure so far.

The giant Gourgaz crashes dead at your feet, gushing green blood from the mortal wound you have opened in its chest. Its evil followers hiss at you with anger and spite, but then their bravado suddenly evaporates and they flee the Durnstone, turning and running in a chaotic mass towards the safety of the Alema Mitre.
     Quickly, the Prince’s bodyguards regroup to form a protective wall with their shields around you and their wounded leader. Black arrows whistle past your head – parting shots from the hateful enemy. The dying Prince looks up into your eyes and says: “Brave young Kai... we came in answer to the beacon’s call. The enemy flee... yet they will return, stronger than before. Though we shall deny them a crossing here, they will march upon Holmgard... by the longer road. You must take a message to my father. The King must seek that which is in Durenor or all is lost. Take my horse and ride for my father’s citadel. Go quickly, brave Kai... ride like the wind. May the luck of the gods ride with you.”
     If you possess the Kai Discipline of Healing, turn to 282.
     If you do not possess this skill, turn to 417.

Lone Wolf possess the Kai Discipline of Healing.

You place your hands under the Prince’s right arm and grasp the shaft of the arrow which has penetrated his chest wall. Then you transfer the power of your Kai healing skills through your hands and into his trembling body. For a few moments, his tortured face is softened by an expression of peaceful serenity as your healing powers melt away the agony of his wound. Sadly, though, your worthy effort provides him but a short reprieve before he closes his eyes for the last time and slips away into eternal darkness.
     Slowly you become aware of a strong hand gripping your shoulder. “He has gone,” says the captain of Pelethar’s court guard. “Come, leave him, you must away at once. My men shall attend to the Prince now.”
     The captain takes you by the arm and leads you to an archway where the Prince’s horse is tethered. As you mount this fine white stallion, you see that Pelethar’s court guard have wrapped his body in a silken cloak and are now bearing it away from the battleground with great respect.
     “Godspeed, young Kai!” shouts the captain, and he slaps the horse’s hindquarters with the flat of his sword. Stung by the blow, the horse leaps forward and you are forced to grip the reins tightly as he gallops off along the bridge road. You pass across two spans and through a final archway before you see the bridge’s southern barbican ahead. As you descend the wide ramp, you pass by a horse-drawn wagon loaded with barrels of explosives that is heading for the Durnstone.
     Beyond the bridge’s south gate, the wide road continues into the forest for a straight mile before it curves away gently towards the east.
     To continue, turn to 351.

The Prince’s horse is a magnificent animal: strong, fast, and surefooted. After several miles, the woodland highway comes eventually to a junction where two smaller roads head away in opposite directions. There is a wooden signpost lying beside the road. It has recently been hacked down and defaced so that the destinations are no longer legible.

If you possess the Kai Discipline of Tracking, turn to 385.
     If you do not possess this skill, you can leave this junction and follow the highway to the left, by turning to 44.
     Or, you can continue by way of the highway heading off to your right, by turning to 206.

Lone Wolf does not possess the Kai Discipline of Tracking.

Here’s the recap: Lone Wolf loses 3 ENDURANCE points from his botched descent to the Durnstone. Once there, he kills at least 3 Giaks and a Gourgaz while only taking 2 ENDURANCE points of damage from the fight with the latter. He gains back 3 ENDURANCE points from the following non-combat sections, and is now faced with another left or right choice. Please make your votes on whether socialism or Nazism is the way to go before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

ACTION CHART
KAI DISCIPLINES:
1. Sixth Sense
WEAPONS:
BACKPACK:
2. Kai Battle Crystal
3. Potion of Laumspur (+4 ENDURANCE)
8. Coil of Rope
SPECIAL ITEMS:
• Kai Gold Key
ENDURANCE POINTS: 20/22
RULES:
FASCIST KILL COUNT: 20
NOTES:
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Go left.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Left