[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 14 - Temple of Terror Redux

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Beroli
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 14 - Temple of Terror Redux

Post by Beroli »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:27 pm
I guess, though not hopeful either way.
Because you think you need an Ivory Beetle Charm (is there somewhere you wanted to look that you think might have had it?) or because you think the Phantom is invincible?

Either way:

The Phantom cringes on seeing the silver and tries to run away. But your aim is true and the silver button finds its mark. The Phantom drops to the floor and within seconds is no more than dust spread among the folds of its cloak. Regain 1 Luck point. With renewed spirit, you set off down the tunnel.

The tunnel finally ends at a T-junction. The cross passage shows signs of more frequent use. The walls are decorated with murals and tapestries and there are torches at regular intervals to give plenty of light.

Turn left toward the murals?
Turn right toward the tapestries?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Bracelet of Mermaid Scales
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
3 gold
Create Water: At will
Read Symbols: 1 Stamina
Detect Trap: 2 Stamina
Open Door: 2 Stamina
Deaths: Eaten by giant sandworm, twice
Dragon statues: Bone, Crystal, Silver
Letters: H
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Let’s go right. Tapestries have been known to hide passages or more likely secret stashes in menu fantasy stories. As I have said before, having a greater chance of good items (or getting the dragons) is a good enough reason to go down the fascist route.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, if we were wearing clothes with silver buttons the Phantom would have been afraid of us? I can see why they are fashionable.

And, try tapestry...though that's a good place to hide letters, if the Death's Messenger is still messaging.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, try the tapestries.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The tapestries are large and colourful, depicting various deities, some of whom are in human form, some in animal form, and a few are part human and part animal.

Take down one of the tapestries and put it in your backpack?
Walk past them?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
3 gold
Queen of Swords
Prince

There's a risk that the Messenger of Death has put another letter behind the tapestry, but we've only seen one letter so far, so I think it's a risk we can afford. Take a tapestry.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You choose at random a tapestry with the pattern of a burning phoenix rising from the ashes. You quickly place it in your backpack and hurry down the corridor.

(It would have been quite a remarkable coincidence if there was a letter behind the one tapestry you chose to take down, assuming the Messenger of Death is playing fair and not just sticking dozens of letters everywhere, which would be likely to be caught out in a word with no duplicated letters--not that there's necessarily a referee who would be sympathetic to your complaint if you objected.)

The corridor runs straight, and you follow it until you reach a magnificent chair carved in the shape of a Sphinx, set against the lefthand wall.

Rest in the chair?
Press on?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
Phoenix tapestry
3 gold
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to press on, as the chair just spells "trap" in my opinion.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed. I think we were fortunate that the tapestries turned out to be safe, so the next thing is likely to be dangerous.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

That makes sense (though maybe the mural was dangerous)
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

As you walk along, you suddenly notice the pungent smell of herbs in the air. It grows stronger as you approach the end of the corridor, where there is a crescent-shaped pool. There is a brass plaque attached to the wall with strange symbols etched on it:
Inscription 202.PNG
Inscription 202.PNG (2.93 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Cast Read Symbols?
Drink the liquid?
Bathe your wounds in the liquid?
Walk back down the corridor?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 17/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
Phoenix tapestry
3 gold
Queen of Swords
Prince

Cast Read Symbols.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Yeah, I also vote to cast Read Symbols here.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You cast the spell (take 1 damage) and are suddenly able to read the symbols. A simple warning on the plaque reads DO NOT DRINK! But you decide no harm can come to you if you just bathe your wounds. (Both "I should trust this writer" and "if it's not safe to drink it must be safe to deliberately put it in my open cuts" look illogical to me but there you go anyway.)

As the liquid washes over your wounds, they heal before your eyes. But although the magical healing properties of the herbal liquid are strong, its recuperative powers are weak. Thus you regain only 4 Stamina. (I think this puzzling sentence translates to something like, "After bathing your wounds you no longer have any visible wounds, but if you're far down in Stamina it does little to restore blood loss," but in your case you only have 2 damage and so it simply heals you to full anyway.) Nevertheless, you are pleased to be healed, and you walk back down the corridor feeling confident.

Passing the Sphinx chair and the tapestries, you walk straight on past the junction in the corridor to look at the murals.

The mural stretches along the wall for approximately twenty metres and depicts a great battle. A mass of Undead, whipped on by vile Orcs, are pushing back an army of men and Dwarfs. The leader of the Undead is hidden by dark robes, apart from his fleshless, reptilian skull. His cold, evil, green eyes stare threateningly from the mural. He appears to be holding a casket which is drawing in the spirit of the king of the men and Dwarfs, for whom the battle seems lost. You are fascinated by the painted detail of the casket, and marvel at its magnificence. "Do you like my work?"comes the sudden question from behind you. You spin round and see a man standing calmly with paint-pots in his hands and a brush behind his ear. He is smiling and seems pleased that you are showing interest in his work.

Attack him?
Respond to his question (please vote on whether that reply should be positive or negative if you vote for this one)?
Push past him and walk on?

(I have questions. Is the king a man or a dwarf? If they're undead why do they need to be whipped to make them attack the enemy?)

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 18/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
Phoenix tapestry
3 gold
Queen of Swords
Prince

If we're marveling at the magnificence of the man's mural (alliteration ahoy!), I don't see any reason why we shouldn't say so. Reply yes, we like his work.

ETA : Now I'm imagining a scenario where the man answers, "Thank you! And look at the grade I got for it at art school!" Then he shows us a big letter A.
Thaluikhain
King

Re:

Post by Thaluikhain »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:52 pm
If we're marveling at the magnificence of the man's mural (alliteration ahoy!), I don't see any reason why we shouldn't say so. Reply yes, we like his work.

ETA : Now I'm imagining a scenario where the man answers, "Thank you! And look at the grade I got for it at art school!" Then he shows us a big letter A.
But if it's got weird stuff like undead being whipped and we can't tell if the king is a man or a dwarf, maybe they got a D.

I was expecting there to be letters in the mural anyway.

But be nice and say we liked it.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You reply to his question and say that you like his work.

The artist laughs and says, "I never expected a compliment in this place of evil! No doubt you have been lured here by the promise of great wealth from the High Priestess, Leesha. I have staked my life on my reputation. Perhaps you have not heard that Leesha is a great lover of art, despite her cruel and terrible ways. Each year she secretly invites artists to perform their works inside the lost city. Down the corridor you will see tapestries, and elsewhere there are wood-carvings and etchings. She alone judges the works, and the result is final, very final. The winner receives 300 Gold Pieces, and the losers are sacrificed to honor the Dark One. Needless to say, I think I'm going to win. She gives us all a ring of protection to wear so that we come to no harm while we work. My name is Murkegg, and I'm pleased to meet you." You ask if he has heard of a man called Malbordus, but he shakes his head. You stress that it is very important that you find Malbordus, and ask if he has any knowledge of the tunnels and passageways. Murkegg rubs his chin and replies, "I'm afraid I cannot help you much, as I spend most of my time painting. I do know that Leesha's inner temple can only be reached by walking through the curtain of golden rain. Perhaps whoever it is you are looking for is being entertained by Leesha. All I can do is wish you luck." You shake hands with him and press on down the corridor.

The corridor bends to the right, and you follow it round until you arrive outside a closed door. You can hear agonized cries and a sadistic chuckle coming from inside the room.

Turn the handle and push the door open?
Keep walking?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 18/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
Phoenix tapestry
3 gold
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open door.

(Oh, and so we can use carrying a tapestry to pretend to be an artist at some point in the future, it seems)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure, I vote to open the door to see if there is a fascist that our hero needs to kill there.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Atrocities.PNG
Atrocities.PNG (198.51 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
The door opens into a room which is filled with all kinds of implements of torture. The screaming is coming from a man who is hanging from the ceiling by his wrists, and the laughter is coming from his torturer, a hooded, bare-chested man who is holding a smoking branding iron.

Help the captive?
Leave him to the mercy of the torturer and continue up the passage?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 18/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
Phoenix tapestry
3 gold
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Looks like JourneymanN00b, to the killing!
Queen of Swords
Prince

Save the captive!
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The man hears you close the door and advances toward you to attack with his branding iron.

TORTURER Skill 8 Stamina 8

Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 13, TORTURER Attack Strength: 15. Indiana Jones's Stamina is 16
Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 20, TORTURER Attack Strength: 15. TORTURER's Stamina is 6
Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 20, TORTURER Attack Strength: 12. TORTURER's Stamina is 4
Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 17, TORTURER Attack Strength: 17.
Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 14, TORTURER Attack Strength: 16. Indiana Jones's Stamina is 14
Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 17, TORTURER Attack Strength: 12. TORTURER's Stamina is 2
Indiana Jones Attack Strength: 19, TORTURER Attack Strength: 18. TORTURER is dead.

You take a bunch of brass keys from the torturer's belt and find the one to unlock the victim's manacles. At first he is scared of you, believing it is a trick, but gradually you convince him you mean him no harm. You learn that his name is Thitta, that he was a servant of High Priestess Leesha and was caught trying to escape from Vatos. He asks you why you are wandering about in the dungeons of Vatos, and you tell him about Malbordus, the quest, and the Messenger of Death. His eyes widen and he says, "I saw a cloaked figure suddenly materialize before my very eyes in the treasure room where I was hiding before being captured. I only saw its face for a moment, and it was hideous. It put something inside a golden casket and then disappeared again." Thitta declines the offer to accompany you on your mission, saying that he must try to escape again. You wish him luck and say goodbye. You leave the room together, but go your separate ways along the corridor.

You soon arrive outside another door. No noise comes from the other side, but when you try the handle, you find that the door is firmly locked.

Cast Open Door?
Try a golden key?
Continue past the door down the corridor?

Adventure Sheet:
Indiana Jones
Skill 11/11
Stamina 14/18
Luck 7/10
Provisions 1
Sword
Leather armor
Iron helmet
Backpack
Lantern
2 silver buttons
Large pearl
Brass handbell
Golden key
Onyx Egg
Crystal Key
Bone Flute
Sandworm tooth
Iron Key
Monkey's tail
Phoenix tapestry
3 gold
Queen of Swords
Prince

Thitta declines the offer to accompany you on your mission, saying that he must try to escape again.
Smart guy. If he came with us, he'd die two paragraphs later.

Cast Open Door.