[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 55 - Deathmoor

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 55 - Deathmoor

Post by SGamerz »

Back Cover Blurb:
"An experienced adventurer is desperately needed in the distant city of Arion for a mission of deadly importance - an adventurer like YOU. Telessa, the beautiful Princess Royal, is missing, believed kidnapped. She must be rescued, and she must be rescued fast. Unfortunately King Jonthane has already given the quest to your deadly rival Fang-zen of Jitar! Can you prove that you are the one to find the princess, wherever she may be held, before she can be harmed? Hurry, for time is running out!"
For quite some time, I actually kind of forgot that there's 1 more book out of the last few remaining that isn't an ultra-meatgrinder. One of the only 2 books out of the last 10 not written by Keith Martin, Jonathan Green or Ian Livingstone (the other is Magehunter), Deathmoor may well be seen as a refreshing break from the series of tough-as-nail books within the last few books in the series.

Part of the reason it "stands out" from the other later books is unfortunately also why it can be sort of forgettable, because Deathmoor is very much a "back to basics" book among the midst of several books with its own unique rules attributes. Rules-wise, this is really all we need for this book:

Standard FF Boilerplate Rules:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
[spoiler]SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points". LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.[/spoiler]

Combat:
[spoiler]SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.[/spoiler]

Since this is not one of those meatgrinders that are extremely demanding on your stats, we will take dice results as they fall for this one:

SKILL roll 3+6 = 9.
STAMINA roll = 4+12 = 16.
LUCK roll = 5+6 = 11.

Equipment:

Again, mostly standard stuff here: sword, leather armour and 10 meals of Provision. Our starting gold is 20 and we also start with a scarlet pearl, which according to the book are only found off the reefs and shoals of the Isles of the Dawn, although the adventure itself started in Arion (the PC just returned from some diving expedition from the former).

Special House Rules:

While this book isn't as unplayable as some of the other books within this range, I will be implementing special rules for boons and extra lives as well. Of course, the way I'm running, it, it's entirely optional on whether you wish to make use of them, because I'd be trading our initial gold and pearl for them, so you are still free to choose not to trade any.

The idea for the boons used in this LP are inspired by a somewhat dubious Easter Egg that can be found in this book: it's possible to encounter a pair of evil plumbers guys named Oiram and Igiul. Thankfully, the Princess to be rescued isn't named Lootsdaot, and the villain isn't named Apook.

In light of this, I'm introducing the following Super Mario-inspired boons and extra life mechanisms:

Extra Lives

Gold: Like in the Super Mario Bros games, Mario the PC can gain extra life through the accumulation of gold coins. For every 10 gold pieces you trade away you can gain an extra life. Essentially, when you die, using up an extra life either allows you to rewind to the last option you made before you hit the insta-death section, or, if you died by STAMINA loss, give you a full STAMINA restore to continue where you left off. Extra lives don't have to be purchased at the start of the game, and can be bought as and when you wish as long as you have sufficient gold.

Scarlet Pearl: We start with 1 of those. There's no price list available for the such an item in the book, or in any other FF book that I know of, so I'm going by something with the closest description: we can pick up a rose pearl in Steal of Souls, and that one is inconsistently priced (in different sections) as worth either 12 or 8 GP, so I'm taking the average and rule that it can be traded to the equivalent value of 10 GP.

Boons:

Boons come in the form of items collectable from Super Mario games. Each boon costs 3 GP, and must be purchased at the beginning of the game. These are what you may buy:

Magic Mushroom: In the games, this turns Mario to giant-sized. In this LP, it temporarily doubles any 1 stat of your choosing, and will last for 1 battle or 1 stat test, ensuring your success or survival in said combat or test. Using 2 such boons consecutively will permanently restore the stat to initial value after the test/combat.

Fire Flower: This boon enables you to do double damage throughout a single combat. Using 2 such boons consecutively allows you to auto-win 1 battle.

Cape Feather: Using this boon allows you to "fly" back to an earlier point - essentially, it's a rewind boon. You can rewind to any point you'd already been to before. Using 2 of these boons consecutively will prompt me to rewind you to the first point where you made a 'fatal' option (i.e. missing an essential item).

Starman: This grants you temporary invulnerability, and allows you to ignore any damage done to any of your stat within the next section that inflicts any sort of damage or stat-reduction. In the case of a combat section, it protects you from damage for up to 5 rounds. Using 2 such boons consecutively allows you to pick the specific section where you wish to activate your invulnerability, provided the section happens after you've used the boons.

? Block: Random mystery "gift" block. When used, the result is determined by dice roll:
1 = Mini Mushroom (the only bad result) - reduces one of the PC's stats by half for the duration of 1 test or combat (the next one he goes through). The players may choose which stat to be temporarily reduced.
2 = Magic Mushroom
3 = Fire Flower
4 = Cape Feather
5 = Starman
6 = 10 gold pieces (equivalent to 1 extra life, although you can choose to spend it like regular cash if you prefer)

Boons differ from extra life in the sense that they must be used before you hit a death section or die via STAMINA loss. (That's why extra life costs more.) If you hit a sudden death ending or run out of STAMINA in a section/combat, it's too late to use a boon (you can, of course, decide whether to use them right before a stat test or combat). Other than that, you can choose to use them whenever you want, and try to pre-empt whether any of these may save you from a failure one or more section later.

Please vote on whether to purchase any boons/how many of each to purchase before we proceed! We have 20 gold and a scarlet pearl (worth 1 GP) to spend, but do keep in mind the possibility of shopping lists in the book too, so you'd probably not want to spend everything.
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 55 - Deathmoor

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to buy 2 Cape Feathers and name our hero Wario or Waluigi.

EDIT: I seem to remember that we can choose to start out with a Potion of Skill, Strength, or Fortune. I would like to select the Potion of Fortune for this run if that is the case. I also vote to buy a Magic Mushroom in order to even the odds against any high skilled opponent we may face here.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I realized I left out another boon in yesterday's post (? Block). That has now been added in. In light of that, I'm leaving voting open for another day.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’m fine with JN’s plan, though of the two names I’d pick Waluigi.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Alright, that confirms it, Our hero, Waluigi, will start off with 14 gold and 2 Cape Feather Boons.

BACKGROUND:
The western stretches of the Black Ocean are notorious for sudden squalls and storms. You pray lo Hydana, god of waters, and beseech him to distract his brother Sukh the storm-god - or at least to divert him to some other part of the world. Perhaps Hydana hears you, but Sukh is a mighty god, capable of manifesting his power in many places at once. At any rate, the Black Ocean lives up to its reputation...

It takes you five days and nights to battle in your solo craft through the storm. At last, as the sun sinks in fire under the ocean, in the distance you glimpse the looming cliffs of the Rockwall Islands in the southwest. Only two more days, then, to Arion, if the weather holds.

At noon on the third day you find a space in the crowded quays of Arion and make your way up the hill towardst he royal palace. The city is as busy as usual, with people going about their daily business, but there is a curious listlessness about their actions. Your fame may gain you entry to the king and queen themselves; if not, the Noble Council of Elders will tell you what is going on and the reason for the summoning of adventurers to Arion.

King Jonthane and his sister Elegana, the co-rulers of Arion, are indeed only too glad to hear of your arrival, and you do not have to wait long before you are summoned to their royal presence.

"If only you'd arrived yesterday," Queen Elegana exclaims, as soon as you are standing before them. "Or, better, if only you'd never left after your last visit here - when was it? Three years ago?"

"Closer to four, my lady," you reply, and you shudder at the memory of the evil you encountered then "But what can I do for you now?"

"Nothing," the king replies bluntly. "I had to award the quest to another. Time is vital, you see. You weren't here, so I gave it to..." He gulps before continuing. "...Fang-zen of Jitar!" The king holds up his hand to forestall your protests "I know, I know, he's a nasty piece of work. But even you have to admit that he's pretty good at what he does. And I had to choose the best available. It's my daughter, you see."

Over the next ten minutes, the klng stammers out his tale His daughter, the Princess Royal Telessa - only fifteen years of age, but already famed throughout Khul for her beauty and charm - had been kidnapped a few weeks before, while out riding with some friends just north of the city. The kidnappers showed they meant business. The limbs of her friends had been hacked from their bodies and left on the ground in the form of a message: WAIT.

Jonthane and Elegana of Arion are no fools, however. While seeming to await the kidnappers' message, they secretly sent out carrier pigeons in all directions. One of them found you on Takio. If it weren't for the storm, you'd have been here on time

"No message arrived until two days ago," Jonthane continues. "l was so anxious...my precious, my Telessa...When it came, it was no simple demand. They - whoever they are, for the message was unsigned - they want total control, forever, over the export of gold from the rich mines which Arion controls. Now, this is far from being our only export, but it is certainly a rich source of revenue. I have to send a letter of agreement to the demand, signed with the royal seal, in the hands of a single messenger. The messenger is to travel due west of the city, alone, until the kidnappers meet him."

"How will the kidnappers make themselves known to the messenger?" you ask.

'Their message was accompanied by locks of Telessa's hair, crudely shorn with some blunt knife. Her hair is unmistakable, like fine-spun gold, shot through with russet lighl. They will greet the messenger with more of her hair - or with her head if the messenger falls to bring my letter, or does not travel alone."

You stay with the king and queen for some minutes more, offering lo help in any way you can. But it is too late: your rival, Fang-zen, has the job. "What did you ofer him?" you ask. "The usual fee for such work," the king replies. "Half our kingdom."

When it is appropriate to do so, you leave the royal presence and wander back into town.
...At this point, I actually have to question the validity of the statement 'Jonthane and Elegana of Arion are no fools'. They've admitted that the gold mines are "far from their only export", yet, in order to keep it, they're willing to give away half of their kingdom (and therefore presumably the people living in that half of the kingdom too) to guy whom they admit is a "nasty piece of work". That's just plain bad business no matter how you look at it.

It's not clear whether Jonthane is an ancestor or descendant of the PC in Masks of Mayhem (whom you may recall is also the ruler of Arion), but either way, I think it's clear that poor rulership ability and bad business sense runs in the royal bloodline of Arion.

Now proceeding to section 1:

Several hours and several taverns later, you find yourself in the dockland area of the city, in a seedy dive called 'The Barnacled Keel'. Talking of barnacled keels, the warts on the barman's face...it seems that, however much you drink, the clearer your head becomes. The image of the beautiful young princess being manhandled by ruffians keeps appearing in your mind, and makes you curse your bad luck in failing to reach Anon in time. Will you travel west out of Arion anyway, to see if you can find Fang-zen or the kidnappers, or will you stay in Arion?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Waluigi
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 16/16
LUCK 11/11
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, scarlet pearl
Provisions: 10
Gold: 14
Boons: Cape Feather (x2)
[/spoiler]
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Does "stay in Arion" mean "do nothing"? If so, we should travel west to try to find the kidnappers anyway.

I'm also puzzled by our addressing a queen as "my lady" rather than "your majesty" or "your grace".
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also voted to take a Magic Mushroom as well, and I hope that adjustment can be made.

I vote to stay in Arion to see if we can get any clues.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Generally Fighting Fantasy books screw you over more for not staying and looking for clues than looking for them. So I’d stop to see if anyone has some secretly vital information about Fang-zen and/or the kidnappers.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

That's a good point. We might need to buy items as well, so I'll change my vote to staying.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:16 pm
I also voted to take a Magic Mushroom as well, and I hope that adjustment can be made.
Oops, sorry, I missed the fact that you edited your post. The additional Magic Mushroom boon will be added (so Waluigi will start with 11 gold instead).

I also did miss out about the starting potions, which were over the next page of the rules section that I skimmed. With that in mind I'm leaving voting for the potion open for another day for players unaware of the option, although I will tentatively add the Potion of Fortune to the Adventure Sheet for now.
The noise in the bar is deafening. All you can hear is snatches of nearby conversations.' No, it was you who said that to her," a young woman shrieks.

"Five shinies? You must be joking," a sailor growls.

"...or my name's not Pen-" the man talking to the barman says.

"Did you hear the one about the Allansian and the...?" someone else asks.

"Baron den Snau: he's the evil son of a lizard who..."

Will you try to find a place to sit or leave and look for another tavern?
Do we find the tavern gossip here interesting enough to stay?

(As mentioned voting for starting potion remains open for another day if any of another player prefers a different potion.)

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 16/16
LUCK 11/11
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, scarlet pearl, Potion of Fortune
Gold: 11
Boons: Cape Feather (x2), Magic Mushroom (x1)
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Find a place to sit, I guess.

(Also, the usual reward for this sort of quest is half the Kingdom? To me, that implies it's been halved more than once before.)
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, if we're staying we might as well listen to a bit more.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:59 am
(Also, the usual reward for this sort of quest is half the Kingdom? To me, that implies it's been halved more than once before.)
I'm now fully convinced that the PC from Masks of Mayhem is some distant descendant of Jonthane's, and the reason he was poor as a pauper despite being a ruler was because all of Arion's riches and resources have been squandered over generations of wastrel kings splitting the land as reward for heroic quests, and probably also losing those gold mines in the process as well. There's no way the PC in FF23 could have been ruling a land with rich gold exports. In fact, the reason he had to go out on the quest himself was probably due to the fact that by then his land had diminished so drastically over the generations that no hero would even be interested to take half of it as reward. Ifor Tynin knew this, and was actually just making up some flimsy excuse about why he had to take the quest himself in order to help the poor king save face. And of course, he could even afford to employ a real wizard, so he had to make do with a humbug like Tynin who never once cast a single spell throughout the whole book, because he couldn't.
You elbow your way through to the back of the room. Several faces In the crowd look vaguely familiar - fellow adventurers, no doubt come to Arion on the same mission as yourself, and also trying to drown their disappointment in a flagon or two of ale. And there, sitting at a table with half a dozen empty flagons in front of him, is Fang-zen himself! Surrounded by cronies, he looks flushed with ale, success and his companions' toadying praise. Will you challenge him to a fight or try to join the group at his table?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, join the group, listen to the latest gossip.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You lean over and whisper some extremely unpleasant threats into the ear of a small, weasel-faced man at Fang-zen's table, and he suddenly remembers an appointment elsewhere in town. Now that there's a stool available, you sit down. As soon as Fang-zen spots you, he begins lo taunt you. "Oh, it's you," he sneers. "Late as usual. The quest's mine, punk, and there's nothing you can do about it. What happened to make you late? Did you gel doped by some Sleeping Grass, or did the milksop child of a weakling Sprite defeat you in a punch-up?" Will you respond to his taunts with insults of your own or get up and walk away?
Queen of Swords
Prince

If we walk away, we'll have gained literally nothing, so might as well respond with insults.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, may as well start trash talking. We don't have bar fights too often in FF, anyway.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

"Wrong again, Fang zen," you reply "It's just that I nearly died laughing at some tales of your attempts at wizardry. When that shape-change spell backfired and turned you into a Goblin... When are you going to get changed back again? I'd stick to thuggery if I were you, and leave the intellectual stuff to others!" His face darkens with rage and he starts to rise from his seat. "Sit down, sit down," you laugh. "Can't you take a joke? 'He settles back down, but there is a dangerous gleam in his eye. "Now," you continue, "how about a game of pinfinger?" Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 132. If you are Unlucky, Fang-zen refuses to play, and you get up to leave; turn to 87.
With our LUCK at 11, I think we're safe with passing this one...

Dice roll = 5 (Lucky).
You both spread your non-fighting hands on the table and people at the table produce daggers for you. You place your bets and start to stab the point of the knife between your spread fingers. The game speeds up, but you keep pace with each other. The onlookers roar their approval as the silver blades begin to blur with speed. You are now so much into the rhythm of the game that you coolly dare to lift your eyes up from your hand and stare at Fang-zen. This unnerves him: he tries to meet your gaze but his eyes are constantly flicking back down to the table. All of a sudden, blood spurts! Roll two dice. If the total is less than. or equal to, your SKILL score, turn to 317; if it's is greater than your SKILL score, turn to 93.
Pausing to check if anyone wish to use the Magic Mushroom boon to auto-pass this Skill test.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I guess we'd go ahead...

Dice roll = 8 (Success).
You win The blood is spurting from a gash in Fang-zen's hand. You had wagered 6 Gold Pieces, but Fang-zen now confesses that he is broke. One of the few points of honour among thieves is never welshing on a bet; the others at the table scowl and sneer at Fang-zen, and start to draw clubs and knives. "You had better give me the letter, then," you say, and Fang-zen has no choice. He reluctantly pulls King Jonthane's letter out of his pouch and passes it across the table to you. The quest is now yours! You notice the royal seal with its intertwined snakes looking like the number '88', before you tuck the letter safely away (add it to yow Adventure Sheet) and turn to leave the tavern. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 337, if you are Unlucky, turn to 353.
Dice roll = 8 again (Lucky).
You shove your way through the crowd, who give way in awe at your exploits. Those who did not know you already are asking others your name. Restore 1 LUCK point. The barman catches your eye and beckons you over Will you go and see what he wants or not?
I'm not sure why they'd be in awe of someone who just won a game of Pinfinger. It sure doesn't take much to impress these guys. But then, I guess that's why the best hero King Jonthane can give the quest to only has a SKILL of 9...

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 16/16
LUCK 10/11
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, scarlet pearl, Potion of Fortune, King Jonthane's letter (number '88')
Gold: 11
Boons: Cape Feather (x2), Magic Mushroom (x1)
[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Go and see what he wants.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agree with Darth.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go and see what he wants.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Go and see.

And, so the quest to rescue the princess and get half the kingdom as reward was taken in lieu of a debt of 6 gold? I spose it's in keeping with the rest of it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:41 am
And, so the quest to rescue the princess and get half the kingdom as reward was taken in lieu of a debt of 6 gold? I spose it's in keeping with the rest of it.
You can say that King Jonthane chose a successor with the same economical sense as himself for that half of his kingdom. At least the people probably won't have too much trouble adapting/adjusting to the change in regime.
As you reach the bar, the landlord is bidding farewell to the man he'd been talking lo. All you hear him say is the end of the man's name, "...garl, see you then." He turns Lo you and demands 1 Gold Piece for the knife-marks you made on his table-top. Will you pay or point out that the rest of his furniture is hardly less scarred and battered?
And now we learn that table-top repairs in Arion cost approximately 1/6 of half a kingdom, or 1/12 of a kingdom. No wonder the king is desperate to keep those gold mines.

Do we pay?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to point out that the rest of his furniture is hardly less scarred and battered, as Waluigi needs every bit of gold that he has in order to stand a chance of surviving this adventure.