[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 53 – Spellbreaker

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 53 – Spellbreaker

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Important note: Since the spoiler tags still do not work, some of my posts in this thread will be a little hard to read. I hope that everyone can bear with the clutter as I run this Let's Play, since the issues are apparently not getting resolved anytime soon.

Cover
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Welcome, everybody. During the Thanksgiving holidays, I got hold of a copy of book #53, which will be the subject of this newest Let’s Play. And oohh boy will this be a challenge for us. While Crypt of the Sorcerer often comes to mind whenever insane Fighting Fantasy books comes to mind, the adventure that we will undertake here, is even harder. Following the optimal path with a character with maximum stats will only give you a 0.2% chance of winning without using any cheats or editing. I am not joking, there is a 1 in 500 chance of making it through this asinine book if you do everything right. Thankfully, we will be playing this adventure with some adjustments in order to have a hopefully tolerable experience, at the very least. Anyone brave enough to join this cockamamie battle is welcome. The plan is to update this thread on a twice per day basis, with the exception of Sundays, where I will try to update more frequently on these days. The key exception is during the period from December 24 to December 31, as I will not have reliable access to the Internet since I will be visiting family then. Also, my work duties in January will probably cause adjustments to this proposed schedule, since I will be working on a very labor-intensive project then.

Preface
Rassin Abbey has guarded its arcane treasures closely for centuries. But when the Black Grimoire is stolen, the land of Ruddlestone is plunged into an epic crisis. For the ancient book holds the key to the legendary Casket of Shadows – and the evil locked away inside it. Should it be opened, the Infernal Beast will be unleashed to wreak its foul carnage across the Old World.

On the night of Shekka’s Moon, scant days away, this will come to pass. Unless, that is, one brave hero can retrieve the Black Grimoire in the nick of time – a hero like YOU! After all, you had your part to play in the book’s disappearance. Ruddlestone is a wild and lawless land, but here and there you may discover hidden allies too. Will they be enough, though, to help you win through to the end of your quest – and victory?

Two dice, a pencil and eraser are all you need to embark on this exciting adventure, which comes complete with its own elaborate combat system and a score sheet to record your progress. Many dangers lie head, and your success is anything but certain. It’s up to YOU to decide which route to follow, which dangers to risk and which foes to fight. But beware, for time is fast running out!
Introduction
Before embarking on this adventure, you must first discover your own strengths and weaknesses. You use dice to determine your initial scores. On pages 16-17 there is an Adventure Sheet, which you may use to record the details of your adventure. On it you will find boxes for recording your SKILL, STAMINA, LUCK and FAITH scores.

You are advised either to record your scores on the Adventure Sheet in pencil or to make photocopies of the sheet for use in future adventures.
For the purposes of this thread, the Adventure Sheet will be hand-made and will be periodically displayed.

Skill, Stamina, Luck and Faith
Roll one die. Add 6 to the number rolled and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.

Roll two dice. Add 12 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.

Roll one die. Add 6 to the number and enter this total in the LUCK box.

Don’t roll any dice for FAITH: you always start your adventure with 1 FAITH point.

For reasons that will be explained below, all your scores will change constantly during the adventure.

You must keep an accurate record of these scores, and for this reason you are advised to write small in the boxes or to keep an eraser handy. But never rub out your Initial scores. Although you may be awarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, their totals may never exceed their Initial scores, except on very rare occasions and then the text will specifically tell you so.

Your FAITH score differs from your other attributes because it is not restricted by an Initial score. Your FAITH may increase or decrease in certain situations, which will be explained in the relevant paragraphs.

Your SKILL reflects your expertise in combat, your dexterity and agility. Your STAMINA score reflects how healthy and physically fit you are. Your LUCK score indicates how lucky you are. Your FAITH score reflects your inherent Goodness and your belief in the forces of Order. A high FAITH score can enable you to repel certain demons and evil spirits, and it may bring you blessings in other forms.
Normally, I would make the appropriate rolls and modifications to generate our hero’s Skill, Stamina, and Luck. However, I have also explained that the chances for winning the adventure are already hard enough for players with maximum stats. Because I have no interest in adding yet another obstacle to this ball-brained book, I will set our hero’s initial scores to the maximum allowed values to do everyone a favor. Our hero thus starts with the following scores:
SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 24
LUCK: 12

Battles
During your adventure you will often encounter hostile creatures. In some such situations you may be given special options, allowing you to deal with the encounter in an unusual manner, but in most cases you will have to resolve battles as described below.

Enter your opponent’s SKILL and STAMINA scores in the first empty Encounter box on your Adventure Sheet. You should also make a note of any special abilities or instructions which are unique to that particular opponent. Then follow this sequence:

1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add its SKILL score to the total rolled, to find its Attack Strength.

2. Roll two dice for yourself, then add your current SKILL score to find your Attack Strength.

3. If your Attack Strength is higher than your opponent’s, you have wounded it: proceed to step 4. If your opponent’s Attack Strength is higher than yours, it has wounded you: proceed to step 5. If both Attack Strength totals are the same, you have avoided or parried each other’s blows, start a new Attack Round from step 1, above.

4. You have wounded your opponent, so subtract 2 points from its STAMINA score. You may use LUCK here to do additional damage (see below). Proceed to step 6.

5. Your opponent has wounded you, so subtract 2 points from your STAMINA score. You may use LUCK to reduce the loss of STAMINA (see below).

6. Begin the next Attack Round, starting again at step 1. This sequence continues until the STAMINA score of either you or your opponent reaches zero, which means death. If your opponent dies, you are free to continue with your adventure. If you die, your adventure ends and you must start all over again by creating a new character.
Fighting More Than One Opponent
In some situations you may find yourself facing more than one person or creature in combat. Sometimes you will treat them as a single opponent; sometimes you will be able to fight each in turn; and at other times you will have to fight them all at the same time! If they are treated as a single opponent, the combat is resolved normally. When you are instructed to fight your opponents one at a time, the combat is again resolved normally – except that once you defeat an enemy, the next steps forward to fight you!

When you find yourself under attack from more than one opponent at the same time, each adversary will make a separate attack on you in the course of each Attack Round, but you can choose which one to fight. Attack your chosen target as in a normal battle. Against any additional opponents you throw for your Attack Strength in the normal way. If your Attack Strength is greater than your opponent’s, in this instance you will not inflict any damage; you can regard it as having parried an incoming blow. If your Attack Strength is lower than your adversary’s, however, you will be wounded in the normal way. Of course, you will have to settle the outcome against each additional adversary separately.
Luck
At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across other situations in which you could be either Lucky or Unlucky (details of these are given in the relevant paragraphs), you may use LUCK to make the outcome more favourable to you. But beware! Using LUCK is a risky business and, if you are Unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for Testing your Luck works as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is less than, or equal to, your current LUCK score, you have been Lucky and the outcome will be in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK score, you have been Unlucky and will be penalized.

Each time you Test your Luck, you must subtract 1 point from your current LUCK score. Thus you will soon realize that, the more you rely on your LUCK, the more risky this procedure will become.

Using Luck in Battles
In certain paragraphs you will be told to Test your Luck, and you will then find out the consequences of being Lucky or Unlucky. However, in battles, you always have the option of using your LUCK, either to inflict more serious damage on an opponent you have just wounded or to minimize the effects of a wound you have just received.

If you have just wounded an opponent, you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound; deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent’s STAMINA score. If you are Unlucky, however, your blow only scratches your opponent, and you must deduct only 1 point from your opponent’s STAMINA (so that, instead of scoring the normal 2 points of damage, you now score only 1).

Whenever you yourself are wounded in combat, you may Test your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are Lucky, your opponent’s blow merely grazes you; deduct only 1 point from your STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, your wound is a serious one and you must deduct 1 extra STAMINA point (i.e. deduct a total of 3 points from your own STAMINA).

Remember: you must subtract 1 point from your LUCK score whenever you Test your Luck.
For the purposes of this Let’s Play, the attack rounds will be resolved all at once. I will generally only consider using Luck in battles if the character has less than 7 Stamina points. For such battles, I will ask whether Luck should be used to improve the odds of winning the fight. In battles where special options are available and the character has less than 7 Stamina points, I will also ask whether the character should use said special options.

More About Your Attributes
Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during the course of your adventure. Occasionally a paragraph may give instructions to increase or decrease your SKILL score, but it may not exceed its Initial value unless you are specifically instructed to the contrary.

At various times during your adventure, you will be told to Test your Skill. The procedure for this is the same as that for Testing your Luck: roll two dice. If the number rolled is less than, or equal to, your current SKILL score, you have succeeded in your test and the result will go in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current SKILL score, you have failed the test and will have to suffer the consequences. However, unlike Testing your Luck, you do not have to subtract 1 point from your SKILL each time you Test your Skill.

Stamina
Your STAMINA score will change a lot during your adventure. It will drop, either as a result of wounds gained through combat, or by falling foul of traps and pitfalls, or after you have performed any particularly arduous task. If your STAMINA score ever falls to zero, you have been killed and should stop reading the book immediately. Brave adventurers who wish to pursue their quest must roll up a new character and start all over again.

You can restore lost STAMINA by eating meals or Provisions. You start the game with Provisions equivalent to 5 meals, and you may obtain more as your adventure progresses. You must keep track of how many meals’ worth of Provisions you have left by filling in the details in the Provisions box of your Adventure Sheet. Each time you eat a meal you may restore up to 4 points of STAMINA, but you must remember to deduct 1 meal from your Provisions box. You may stop and eat Provisions at any time except when you are engaged in combat.

Luck
Additions to your LUCK score may be awarded when you have been particularly lucky or have created your own luck by some action. Details are given, where appropriate, in the paragraphs of the book. Remember that, as with SKILL and STAMINA, your LUCK score may exceed its Initial value only in exceptional circumstances, which will be explained when appropriate.

Faith
As you will soon discover, your FAITH will be very important in this adventure. You start the game with 1 FAITH point, granted to you because you have undertaken a holy pilgrimage. Relics of Good and blessings can increase your FAITH, while curses and evil actions, ill-befitting a heroic adventurer, will have the effect of decreasing your FAITH score. Precisely how your FAITH works will be revealed during your adventure; you will be instructed about this in the relevant paragraphs.
Equipment and Gold
You begin your adventure with only the tools of your trade: a sword, a lantern and tinderbox, and a backpack to hold your Provisions and Gold Pieces. To find out how many Gold Pieces you possess, roll one die and add 4 to the number rolled. Note this total down in the Gold Pieces box on your Adventure Sheet. Your sword and lantern should be noted in the Equipment box on your Adventure Sheet, as must any other useful items you may find on your travels.
Using the same reasoning that I put down for maximizing our hero’s Skill, Stamina, and Luck, I will have our hero start the adventure with the maximum amount of 10 Gold Pieces.

Please keep all spoilers covered out of respect to those of us who want to have a blind experience. Any ties will be broken by me based on my personal instincts.

As I said in the introduction, I will be making several adjustments to adjust this adventure’s difficulty to a reasonable level. Chief among them will be to give our hero 6 resurrections, just like I did when I ran the Crypt of the Sorcerer gamebook. Upon dying, our hero will use a resurrection to be sent back to the point where the first critical mistake was made in order to make the adventure winnable once more. The Adventure Sheet will also be reverted to what it was at that point in the story. This makes resurrections more powerful than any boon employed in many of my previous Let’s Plays.

The adjustments also involve reducing enemy stats or providing extra options for the hero at certain sections encountered in the book. Whenever I make such an edit, I will do so under an Important Note: heading and provide a corresponding vote to either have the change stay in place or remove it and stick to the original text. Any ties will have the change in question stand, as I believe that any of them I make are reasonable and will preserve the book’s essence.

Background
With a deafening crash another bolt of lightning shears through the boiling night sky. For a moment the blasted heath round you is brilliantly illuminated and through the driving rain you catch sight of shelter at last, but it is not the abbey. Instead, a few trees stand huddled together on the barren moor, stark against the horizon. Through the sounds of the storm behind you, you can make out the howling of wolves, broken occasionally by a banshee wail. With renewed determination you find the strength to start running again over the sodden earth, with the blood pounding in your ears.

As you near the copse, you pick out the glow from a small campfire among the trees. Someone has already taken shelter from the storm here. Cautiously, with one hand on the hilt of your sword, you step towards the fire. The figure seated beside the fire slowly looks up as you approach. ‘There is no need for that, I am not armed,’ the man says, holding wide his arms so you can see that he is speaking the truth. Thunder rumbles across the moors and the next flash of lightning reveals the man’s face. He is young-looking but his face is pale and drawn as if it has seen a lifetime of hardship, while his eyes hold a deeper knowledge than his years suggest. And he is smiling. ‘Come, take shelter by my fire,’ he says warmly. ‘It looks as if you need it.’ Tired and cold, you take up the stranger’s offer. ‘Such a night as this, evil things stalk the earth, or so people say.’ You look up anxiously as you hear a rustling in the branches of the trees. ‘What are you doing out on a night such as this?’ he asks.

You decide you have nothing to lose by telling this stranger your story, so you explain how you now find yourself lost on these bleak moors at night. All your adult life you have lived as a hired sword, searching for adventure wherever it may be found across the Old World. However, for several years now you have considered taking a rest from the adventuring life in order to return to your homeland of Ruddlestone and undertake a pilgrimage for the good of your soul. So it was that, two months ago, you arrived at the northern port of Harabnab, aboard a merchant ship from Arkleton in distant Analand, just as the month of Watching was coming to a close. From there you began your journey on foot, to the shrine town of Hallow’s Well, at the edge of the western hills, renowned for its healing spring, as so many pilgrims have done before you. You were heading for Rassin Abbey where, you heard, you could spend a night away from the wilds on the way to Hallow’s Well, when the storm broke, causing you to stray from the road across the heath. You soon became lost on these desolate moors, certainly not the sort of place where you wanted to spend the night, what with a storm raging about you, wild animals roaming free, and possibly worse.

The stranger tells you that he too is a pilgrim caught in a similar predicament, but he was fortunate enough to reach the copse before the storm grew too bad. However, he is sure he knows which direction Rassin Abbey lies in. The two of you decide to try and reach it together, which would be so much safer than travelling separately. Leaving the cover of the trees, the two of you dash out through the pouring rain.

After running for half an hour with the wind and rain driving into your faces, you come to the top of a rise and see the road leading down to the small, dark, stone buildings of Rassin Abbey, cowering under the terrible force of the storm. Then comes the scream. It chills you to the bone and curdles your blood. Although almost paralysed with fear, you and the stranger look around, to see dozens of foul Demons bearing down on you from the turbulent skies. They are grotesque to look at, with bulging eyes, bloated, misshapen bodies, writhing tentacles, vicious talons and slavering jaws. They scream and gibber with excitement as they speed towards you over the heath. The next thing you know, you are hurtling down the hillside towards the abbey, your legs ready to give way under you at any moment. As you run, you fend off the Demons by waving your sword wildly in the air. The stranger has no weapon and so does the best he can with his bare hands.

When you reach the abbey, you bang on the door with all your might, shouting for sanctuary. A bolt is drawn back and you fall into the space beyond. The stranger stands in the doorway, still trying to ward off the Demons. ‘Quick, come inside!’ you call to him. As soon as he is over the step, the door is slammed shut and bolted, one last chill gust of wind all that remains of the gale outside. You pick yourself up and survey the huddle of anxious faces looking back at you. You are standing in a low-ceilinged hall and the people surrounding you are monks, all dressed in plain brown habits. Once you have explained what the two of you are doing here, one of the monks tells you that they are a community of the Priests of Enkala and only a day’s walk from Hallow’s Well. He adds that you are both welcome to spend the rest of the night in their guest hall and leads you to join the other pilgrims already sleeping there.

You have not been asleep long when you wake from a terrible dream about Demons, to see the stranger creeping furtively out of the hall. Your suspicions aroused, you wait until he has gone then follow him through the darkened passageways of the abbey. At last you come to a room which the stranger enters, closing the door behind him and locking it. Suddenly someone cries out from inside the room and there is a crash. You beat at the door with your fists, to no avail, so you begin to try to break it down. You burst into the room at the same time as a group of monks enter through another door. You are standing in a library and the body of a monk is lying, face down, on the floor beside his upset writing desk. There is no sign of the stranger. ‘Down there,’ shouts a monk, pointing to a flight of stone steps beyond another open door. You run down the steps, followed by the monks, and burst into a small, dank room lit by a single torch. Against the far wall, the stranger is kneeling beside a large, open oak chest, and in the flickering torchlight you see that he is holding a huge, black book in his hands. As you enter the chamber he spins around and gets to his feet.

‘Thanks friend,’ he laughs mockingly. ‘Without your help I couldn’t have got in here. I would stay longer, but I have much to do.’ With that a dark veil descends over the room. When it lifts again, the stranger and the book are gone, but he has left something in his place. As you watch, a cloud of swirling, noxious, green smoke starts to form in the centre of the room.
Turn to paragraph 1.

Map of Ruddlestone
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Quickly the cloud solidifies into a shape that makes you recoil in terror. Standing before you is a monstrous Demon covered in green scales, with fang-filled jaws and reeking of the sharp, acrid smell of brimstone. The foul Demon begins to advance towards you, raking the air with its talons while sulphur-steam rises from its mouth. Although it is a powerful beast, you are fighting the Demon on holy ground so blows from your earthly weapon will affect it. With a roar, the creature lunges at you.

BRIMSTONE DEMON SKILL 8 STAMINA 9

While you are fighting this hellspawn you are affected by the sulphurous stench it emits from its mouth, so for the duration of this battle you must reduce your Attack Strength by 1 point. If you destroy the demon, turn to 322.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 22
Round 3: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 22
Round 4: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 20
Round 5: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 20
Round 6: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 10, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 20
Round 7: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 20
Round 8: Brimstone Demon Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Brimstone Demon Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 20[/spoiler]

To reflect how hard this adventure is, the Brimstone Demon manages to score 2 blows against our hero before getting sent back to the pits of Hell.

Having banished the Demon, you are taken by the monks to the infirmary where Brother Hugo does his best to heal your wounds (restore up to 6 STAMINA points). When you have had a little time to recover, the monks take you to see their abbot. In his private chambers you meet Abbot Dunstan and the stern-faced Prior Alwyn. ‘We all thank you for destroying that abomination,’ says the Abbot, ‘but I am afraid that it will prove to have been just the beginning of our problems. The man who murdered Brother Hieronymous also stole a book, a very precious and very dangerous book. It is the Black Grimoire, a book of dark magic,’ he says. ‘Its pages contain the darkest and most evil spells known to witchcraft; as the book is virtually indestructible, it was kept here at the abbey, on holy ground, so that it could never again be used to cause ill. And now it has been stolen.’

‘The thief knew exactly where to find the book, so he must have been here before,’ you point out. ‘Do you have any idea who he was?’

‘We do,’ replies Prior Alwyn, ‘although it took us some time to remember. It is many years since we have seen him. His name is Nazek. He was a foundling at the abbey here long ago and so remained under our guardianship. However, he was always causing trouble and was more interested in studying the dark ways than the path of Goodness. Despite our best efforts to correct his behaviour, by the age of twelve Nazek was experimenting with dark magic. It was not long after this that he disappeared on a night such as this. We were not sorry to see him go. Everyone assumed that he had perished in the storm.’

‘But tonight he came back, thanks to you,’ Abbot Dunstan says, concerned. You look at him in puzzlement. ‘Evil such as Nazek’s cannot enter holy ground without invitation, and you invited him.’ You remember the incident. The Abbot is right. ‘You must help us recover the book, and we know where you should look for the thief,’ says the Abbot. ‘For in the Grimoire there is one spell more powerful and life-threatening than all the rest. The spell is one of unlocking. What it unlocks is the Demafrauge.’ You have heard of this. Seeing your recognition, the Abbot continues. ‘Yes, the legendary Casket of Shadows, the prison of the Infernal Beast. Last time this monster walked on Titan, hundreds died. Centuries ago, the Casket was locked away in the monastery at Claybury, a village lying in the hills to the west. This was thought to be a safe place, but it may not be any more, as we thought the book was out of harm’s way until tonight.’

‘We believe,’ Prior Alwyn says, ‘that Nazek must intend to use the Grimoire to open the Demafrauge. However, this ritual can only take place on the night of Shekka’s Moon – in four night’s time. The Grimoire must be going westwards to find the Casket, so that is the way you must go too.’

‘You will help us?’ the Abbot asks pleadingly. Of course you will! You are responsible for the theft of the Grimoire so you must recover it. Besides, you have a score to settle with Nazek. Turn to 238.

You manage to get a little more rest before dawn, but at daybreak you prepare to leave the abbey. The storm has passed but the sky remains overcast and ominous. The Abbot tells you that the library is open to your use and you may visit the herb garden in case there are any plants growing there which you think may be of use. ‘However,’ he says, ‘I cannot impress on you too greatly the need for haste in this matter. You have but four days to find Nazek and the book.’ Bearing the Abbot’s words in mind, you decide what your first move will be. Do you want to:

Study some of the books in the library? Turn to 204
Visit the herb garden? Turn to 366
Leave the abbey straight away? Turn to 277

In addition to choosing what to do, what name do you want to give our hero? Please make your decisions before 8:00 AM PST to guarantee that they will be counted.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Books, then herb garden. We need info and heals.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 53 – Spellbreaker

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second that.

(I don't think I've ever heard of this book before, which is odd, and may or may not be telling)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Herb garden.

Are you also applying the stat reductions/changes made by Wizard publications (although again, they didn't manage to get rid off all the bugs, and the book still wasn't really playable after all that).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

SGamerz wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:20 am
Herb garden.

Are you also applying the stat reductions/changes made by Wizard publications (although again, they didn't manage to get rid off all the bugs, and the book still wasn't really playable after all that).
The answer is a yes for applying the state reductions/changes made by the Wizard edition. I am also considering making further edits to water down the difficulty should we reach certain scenarios.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:24 am
SGamerz wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:20 am
Herb garden.

The answer is a yes for applying the state reductions/changes made by the Wizard edition. I am also considering making further edits to water down the difficulty should we reach certain scenarios.
Yeah, I think you kind of have to if you want this to be playable at all.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Not sure about names but I think library and then herb garden (in that order) sound good for choices
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have counted your votes, and it looks like our hero will study some books in the library, as that won over visiting the herb garden by a 3-1 vote. Since there are no vote to name our hero, I will leave voting open for that for now.

You return to the library with Prior Alwyn, where you are introduced to a young monk, thin and scholarly in appearance. ‘This is Brother Calamus,’ Prior Alwyn says, ‘He is one of our best illuminators and worked under Brother Hieronymous. He will help you with anything you need.’ Brother Calamus ushers you to a reading-alcove and brings you some volumes which may be of use to you. You do not have much time to spare in the library, so will you study:

Astradd’s Holy Lives? Turn to 123
An Astronomer’s Almagest? Turn to 108
A Demonological Dissertation? Turn to 317

Please make your votes on what to study and what to name our hero before 6:00 PM PST to be sure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]???
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 24 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 12 Initial Luck = 12
FAITH: 1
GOLD PIECES: 10
PROVISIONS: 5
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Sword
Lantern
Tinderbox
Backpack
Notes:
None
RESURRECTIONS: 6[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Hmm.
Holy Lives might give us more info on the people guarding the casket, since we know it’s in a monastery.
We know the ritual only can take place on “the night of Shekka’s Moon,” so it’s possible that the astronomy book will give us some useful information on what that event entails.
Demonology seems like the safest bet to give us more information on the ritual (and therefore stopping it) so I think we should go with that.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agree with Darth, the book on demonology sounds most useful.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, that sounds definitely useful.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sure, demonology.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

I'm honor of someone accidentally cutting a bunch of deals with demons, I propose naming the character Ariel Faust Constantine.

Though I would totally jump on a sillier name of someone came up with one, I'm not sure afc is super inspired.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm fine with pragma's choice of names.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Alright folks, I have registered your votes to study A Demonological Dissertation, and to name our hero Ariel Faust Constantine.

A Demonological Dissertation was written by one Melkor Rankaar, an eminent demonologist of recent years. In it are detailed many of the foul inhabitants of the Pit and memorable servants of theirs on this plane. The book also describes several Demonifuges – charms or amulets designed to drive Demons away. Hidden among the pages you find a mention of a Demonic Word of Command. When this word is spoken in the presence of certain Demons, they are compelled to do the speaker’s bidding. Turn to 68.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

When you’ve finished reading, you see that Brother Calamus is anxious that you should not delay any longer in the library. Do you want to leave the abbey immediately (turn to 277), or will you visit the herb garden first (turn to 366)?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PST to be sure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Ariel Faust Constantine
FAITH: 1
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Sword
Lantern
Tinderbox
Backpack
Notes:
Knows Demonic Word of Command
Queen of Swords
Prince

That was useful. Now, on to the herb garden.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Visit the herb garden.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Herb garden.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Ariel Faust Constantine will visit the herb garden first.

You are led by Prior Alwyn through the abbey buildings and out to the monks’ herb garden. Already busily tending the plants under his care is a thickset, bearded monk. ‘This is Brother Trefor,’ says the Prior. ‘I’m sure he will help you select anything you consider necessary for your journey.’ Brother Trefor is a jolly man and soon puts you at your ease. Between you both, you come up with three plants that it might be wise to take with you: Garlic, a guaranteed protection against Vampires; Aramance, a pungent, sweet-smelling herb used to guard against disease; and Glebe Balm, the leaves of the plant being used in many healing preparations. Unfortunately, Brother Trefor can spare only one of these plants as the herb garden was badly damaged in the storm last night and many valuable plants were destroyed, making those that remain all the more precious. (Make a note of which one you take on your Adventure Sheet.) You decide that the urgency of your mission means you cannot delay here any longer, so you prepare to leave the abbey. Turn to 277.

The Abbot, Prior Alwyn and a small group of brothers assemble in the yard to bid you farewell. ‘May Cheelah smile on your wanderings,’ says Abbot Dunstan. ‘And remember, all our blessings go with you,’ As he speaks these words, you are filled with feelings of hope and security (add 2 points to your FAITH score). The other pilgrims are already taking their leave of the brothers and continuing the pilgrimage to Hallow’s Well. With a fresh stock of Provisions and your sword at your side, you prepare to do the same.

Just as you are stepping through the gates of Rassin Abbey and leaving the hospitality of the Priests of Enkala behind you, a servant, wearing the livery of some noble house, rushes up to you. ‘Excuse me,’ he pants, ‘but my mistress, Lady Attana of Ide, heard that you were staying here and wondered if such a skilled swordsman as yourself would consider accompanying her to Hallow’s Well. My lady is all too well aware of the dangers of travelling, what with wild beasts and bandits on the road, and she feels the need of extra protection after last night’s terrible storm, which she feels was not of natural origin.’ Your reputation goes before you. You have only been here a night but already word of your presence has spread round the abbey visitors. ‘My mistress is prepared to pay for your services,’ the servant adds with a look of hopeful expectation. The money may certainly prove useful later, and there is something to be said about safety in numbers, but you do not want your progress to be slowed in any way. If you want to accompany Lady Attana to Hallow’s Well, turn to 166. If you would rather travel alone, turn to 44.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please make your votes on what plant to take and whether to accompany Lady Attana or not before 6:00 PM PST to be sure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
FAITH: 3
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Sword
Lantern
Tinderbox
Backpack
Notes:
Queen of Swords
Prince

I vote to accompany Lady Attana. If I have a few more moments later I'll also vote on the herb.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Accompany Lady Attana.

As for herbs, healing is always good, but I think that we should probably take the one that helps against diseases.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, I vote for Aramance as well.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Take Aramance, accompany the lady.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes acknowledged; Ariel Faust Constantine will take Aramance and accompany Lady Attana to Hallow’s Well.

After waiting for an hour, Lady Attana of Ide and her entourage finally emerge from the abbey’s guest-hall. Lady Attana herself is a middle-aged woman who has grown plump on years of fine living. She is dressed in clothes of the latest cut, and another sign of her wealth is the numerous, ornate rings she wears on her plump fingers. Lady Attana and her party of ladies-in-waiting and bodyguards are all mounted on fine steeds: her servants follow with her possessions on mules. There is also a horse saddled and ready for you to ride. You mount and are soon on the road again, leaving Rassin Abbey behind you. The morning passes quickly as Lady Attana is talkative, to say the least. As your journey progresses you discover that she has been a widow for six years. She decided to make the pilgrimage from her manor at Ide to see whether the healing waters of Hallow’s Well could relieve the discomfort she suffers in her aching joints.

Soon the road is joined by another from the south and enters an area of woodland. You pass other travellers heading in the same direction as your group but soon lose sight of them again as you continue westwards. You become aware of a rustling sound in the trees to your left. Do you want to stop (turn to 153) or keep riding, pretending not to have noticed (turn to 194)?

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PST to be sure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
FAITH: 3
EQUIPMENT AND TREASURE:
Sword
Lantern
Tinderbox
Backpack
Aramance
Notes:
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Stop for a smoke break to investigate.