[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 51 – Island of the Undead

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Blind choice. Might as well try the northern fork.
SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 51 – Island of the Undead

Post by SGamerz »

North.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

North is fine by me.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered; Shaggy will take the northern fork.

The trail grows narrower and finally emerges into a circular clearing with no obvious route for further exploration. However, you notice a patch of very unusual purple fungi here. Their caps have strange, thick, pink tendrils hanging down, looking for all the world like rats’ tails. If you have a book which tells you about the plants of Solani Island, turn to the paragraph with the same number as that on the page on which the Rats’ Tail Fungus is described. Otherwise you must backtrack and take the southern route through the woods, so turn to 345.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shaggy does have a book about the plants of Solani Island, so we will go to paragraph 311, as the Rats’ Tail Fungus is described on page 311.

You read the entry for the Rat’s Tail Fungus; it tells you that the active ingredient in the fungus has to be extracted with olive oil. If you have no olive oil, you cannot make this potion. If you do have some olive oil, you can crush some of the fungi and insert them into the bottle of oil. If you have a spare glass bottle, you can use just a little of the oil and keep the rest; otherwise you will have to remove the olive oil from your list of Possessions. The resulting mixture looks utterly disgusting and it smells like something a horse might leave behind it; but, incredibly, it acts as a Potion of Stamina. You can drink this at any time, except during a combat, and it will restore lost STAMINA points up to one-half of your Initial STAMINA (round fractions up). Now you backtrack and take the southern route through the woods; turn to 345.

Shaggy does have olive oil and a spare glass bottle, so he uses just a little of the oil to make the Potion of Stamina from the Rat’s Tail Fungus.

The southern trail twists and turns and continues a fair distance. Roll one die. If you roll 1, turn to 321. If you roll 2 or 3, turn to 294. If you roll 4, 5 or 6, turn to 43.

Rolling the die yielded a 4, so we will turn to paragraph 43.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

As you trudge along, a thin, reedy voice greets you from behind some trees. ‘What do you want here?’ pipes a scrawny and ragged old man. You see that he is sitting in a peculiarly twisted tree. The wild-eyed hermit nervously peels a fruit of some sort with his filthy-nailed, gnarled old hands and you wonder what to say to him. If you don’t know the hermit’s name, turn to 73. If you know his name, convert it into a number using the formula A = 1, B = 2, C = 3 … Z = 26. Add up the numbers corresponding to the individual letters of his name, and then turn to the paragraph of the same number as this total. If that paragraph doesn’t begin ‘ “Well met …”’, you got it wrong, so you will have to turn to 73 instead.

There are three choices here: Make your guess, use an Entity Wish for the correct answer, or proceed with the hero not knowing the hermit’s name. Please make your votes on what to do next before 6:00 PM PST to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Shaggy
SKILL: 11 Initial Skill = 11
STAMINA: 17 Initial Stamina = 17
LUCK: 10 Initial Luck = 10
PRESENCE: 7
TIME ELAPSED: 0 days
ENEMY ENCOUNTER:
None
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Knife
Backpack
Waterskin
Leather Jerkin
Pot of Thick Glue
Sword
2 Potions of Stamina (restores up to one-half of Initial Stamina when used)
Flask of Grog (+4 Stamina, +1 Attack Strength temporary bonus for one combat)
Magic Sword (+1 Attack Strength)
Shield
2 Ropes
2 Small Bottles of Monk’s Herbal Liqueur (each half-bottle gives +4 Stamina)
PROVISIONS REMAINING: 11
POSSESSIONS:
Bottle of Olive Oil
2 Pouches
13 Gold Pieces
Small Gold Key (Found in paragraph 40)
Lantern
Pestle and Mortar
Herbiary with 3 Dog-eared Pages (page 311 on Rat-tailed Fungus, page 175 on Pitcher Plant, and page 266 on Axeplant)
Sapphire with 50 Facets
Topaz with 24 Facets
Magical Scroll with ‘Incantation of Light’ Inscribed
Skeleton Key
Wooden Pole
Gold Chain Divided Into 8 Sections with 12 Links Each
Boons:
2 Entity Wishes[/spoiler]
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I don't want to use up a wish this early. Let's try proceeding without knowing his name and see what happens.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We actually have the information:
JourneymanN00b wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:07 pm
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You find a torn-up diary with, on its broken spine, a name: Brother Kendris. You try to match the scraps of paper to make a coherent message out of what is written here! After puzzling over what you can make out of this, will you:

Leave the monastery? Turn to 281
Head along the passage to the other door, if you haven’t already opened it? Turn to 255
Go up the stairs? Turn to 302
‘There is conflict between the wizards, Caltarelair has certainly quarrelled with one of his fellows and a magic duel cannot be far away. One of them has begun to dabble in magic other than elementalism. Ralsteen the Hermit may have sensed any disturbance at the Circle; I am too weak to risk visiting it. I must hasten to hide the Crystals, and I will hide them in pairs, one pair in..."

Address him as Ralsteen.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

SGamerz is correct in that the answer was in paragraph 230. Shaggy will address the hermit as Ralsteen, which converts to 94. So we will turn to paragraph 94 to proceed.

‘Well met, Ralsteen,’ you say with as much friendliness as you can muster, and the unpredictable, wild old man springs down from the tree and shakes you warmly by the hand.

‘My dear friend!’ he shrieks as he jumps up and down. ‘Let me give you a gift!’ He reaches into his filthy beard and draws forth a small pearl. ‘Purifies the waters, you know,’ he mutters rather vacantly. You don’t know exactly what he means by this, but you accept his offering (add the pearl to your Possessions). Now Ralsteen’s demeanour changes suddenly. ‘Do you have a gift for me in return for the priceless information I am about to impart?’ he pleads in a whining voice. Turn to 204.

‘I could tell you much about this island in return for something to help me eke out my days here,’ the hermit chuckles. He’ll give you information in return for any one item from the following list: a full bottle of Monks’ Herbal Liqueur, any magical potion, a Gold Key, a bottle of grog, or a Gold Chain. If you want to hear what he has to say, you must give him one of these; turn to 394. If you’d prefer to give him nothing, or if you have none of these items, turn to 168. If you want to attack the old lunatic, turn to 16.

Shaggy has all of the items on the list. Please make your votes on whether to give an item, give nothing, or attack the old lunatic before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Shaggy
ENEMY ENCOUNTER:
None
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Knife
Backpack
Waterskin
Leather Jerkin
Pot of Thick Glue
Sword
Shield
2 Ropes
POSSESSIONS:
Bottle of Olive Oil
2 Pouches
13 Gold Pieces
Small Gold Key (Found in paragraph 40)
Lantern
Pestle and Mortar
Herbiary with 3 Dog-eared Pages (page 311 on Rat-tailed Fungus, page 175 on Pitcher Plant, and page 266 on Axeplant)
Sapphire with 50 Facets
Topaz with 24 Facets
Skeleton Key
Wooden Pole
Pearl
Boons:
Queen of Swords
Prince

I don't want to lose either the key or the golden chain (because that's a numbered item). I think we could spare a bottle of Monks' Herbal Liqueur though.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We already used the key, and I don't think a key for unlocking the monastery's herbiary is likely to work elsewhere. I think we should give that away.

I'm willing to to accede to giving either grog or herbal liquor if we're locked in a tie, but I'd prefer not to.

Between grog and herbal liquor, I guess it's down to whether you think +4 STAMINA and +1 Attack Strength for one combat is worth more than +8 STAMINA (herbal liquor has 2 doses each).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, give the key.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Giving Ralsteen an item received 3 votes, so Shaggy will give him the small gold key that he got in paragraph 40, since that won over giving a full bottle of Monks’ Herbal Liqueur by a 2-1 vote.

You ask the hermit about the undead on the island. ‘Those blasted wizards,’ he cries. ‘All their doing! Played with the forces of life, you see, so they thought they could play with dead things. They’d changed the life forces and bodies of things in the swamps, but altering wasn’t enough, oh no. They dredged up the dead from the sea bed. They just used them as slave labour at first – cheap, economical to use, never needed sleep, didn’t complain about poor wages or being worked too hard. But then one of them started experimenting with other undead, not just mindless things, and he got his elementalist and necromantic magic mixed up, and played with souls and spirits and evil things with minds, cunning and guile. Oh yes, I know I’m as mad as a hatter, but I’m not that insane. The Master of Fire dabbled with summonings beyond even his power. He drew down one of the Great Undead, the immortal spirits of darkness, and then the full horror began…’ The hermit falls silent. Now you can ask him about two (and only two) other topics before he grows too distracted and crazy to talk coherently and runs off into the forest. Turn to two of the paragraphs from the list below which will tell you about the subjects you want to know more about (you will be sent back to this paragraph to make your second choice). When you’ve made two choices, turn to 168.

Curing diseases. Turn to 107
More about the wizards. Turn to 129
Other people on the island. Turn to 156
The marshlands. Turn to 183
General help and advice. Turn to 331

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Shaggy
ENEMY ENCOUNTER:
None
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Knife
Backpack
Waterskin
Leather Jerkin
Pot of Thick Glue
Sword
Shield
2 Ropes
POSSESSIONS:
Bottle of Olive Oil
2 Pouches
13 Gold Pieces
Lantern
Pestle and Mortar
Sapphire with 50 Facets
Topaz with 24 Facets
Skeleton Key
Wooden Pole
Pearl
Boons:
Queen of Swords
Prince

I forgot we used the key already. Good choice there.

As for the hermit, we don't have any diseases (yet) so I vote for asking him more about the wizards for our first question. I'm not sure how many more other people on the island there are that we might need to know about, and "general help and advice" sounds vague. So... the marshlands, I guess? Maybe his advice will save us from getting lost in them or drowning.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’d go for wizards and other people on the islands.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I second asking about wizards and marshlands.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes tallied; Shaggy will ask Ralsteen more about the wizards and the marshlands, since the wizards received 3 votes, while the marshlands received 2 votes.

First, more information about the wizards:

‘There were five of them altogether. Very secretive, never seen around the island. Their sniffling little apprentice did their legwork for them, got the food and clothes from the boats that came here with that air spirit, can’t remember its name now. Mischievous and difficult thing, but it’s trapped at the Circle and it would serve you if you overcame it. Used to be a wizard itself, I believe. The wizards stuck to their dungeons below their black tower. Guarded with magical traps, of course. Mind you, they’re all dead now, one way or another, although there’s not one of them at peace. One of them drew down the Great Undead, as I said. Don’t want to think about what happened to him.’ The hermit shudders. Return to 394.

Next, information about the marshlands:

‘You have to pass through them if you want to go south, the bay to the west isn’t navigable. The wizards left it like that, they didn’t change the currents, they wanted to keep unwanted intruders out. The people from the mainland knew not to try to land there. The marshes are dangerous. There’s poison and nasty, creeping snakes and insects which bite and make you sick, hostile monkey-like things, and Lizard Men – don’t anger them! But watch out for the plants like vases, you might be surprised …’ The hermit giggles feebly. ‘Oh, the mists, the mists!’ Return to 394.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Now that Shaggy has asked his two topics from the hermit, we will turn to paragraph 168.

Leaving the hermit behind, you can now either try exploring the woodlands further (turn to 141) or leave them altogether (turn to 363).

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PST to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Shaggy
ENEMY ENCOUNTER:
None
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Knife
Backpack
Waterskin
Leather Jerkin
Pot of Thick Glue
Sword
Shield
2 Ropes
POSSESSIONS:
Bottle of Olive Oil
2 Pouches
13 Gold Pieces
Lantern
Pestle and Mortar
Sapphire with 50 Facets
Topaz with 24 Facets
Skeleton Key
Wooden Pole
Pearl
Boons:
Queen of Swords
Prince

I think now that we've got something useful from the woodlands, we can leave them.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Leave.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The hermit mentioned something trapped at the Circle that may serve us if we overcome it. From that map we found earlier, I think it's around the same regions. Search the woodlands further.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Continue searching.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'll change my vote to continue searching to break the tie.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes tallied; Shaggy will try exploring the woodlands further, as that won over leaving them altogether by a 3-1 vote.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You amble through the woodland for an hour or two, so you must eat another meal. You find yourself walking into an almost perfectly circular clearing in the woods, where only lush green grass and some woodland flowers grow. Before you stands a simple stone archway. Filled with anticipation, you walk through the archway … but nothing special happens and you find yourself standing on the verdant, lush grass on the other side of it. Walking around and exploring the clearing doesn’t reveal anything interesting either. What will you do now?

Leave the woodland? Turn to 363
Explore the clearing very thoroughly? Turn to 122
Just wait? Turn to 249

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Shaggy
ENEMY ENCOUNTER:
None
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Knife
Backpack
Waterskin
Leather Jerkin
Pot of Thick Glue
Sword
Shield
2 Ropes
PROVISIONS REMAINING: 10
POSSESSIONS:
Bottle of Olive Oil
2 Pouches
13 Gold Pieces
Lantern
Pestle and Mortar
Sapphire with 50 Facets
Topaz with 24 Facets
Skeleton Key
Wooden Pole
Pearl
Boons:
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Search the area so we can find the thing in the circle to overcome.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, search the area.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Search
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Exploring the clearing very thoroughly received 3 votes, so Shaggy will do this.

Carefully examining the threes, shrubs, grasses and flowers, you find absolutely nothing at all. Unfortunately, you do manage to overlook a rabbit hole … and you twist your ankle as you step into it. You fall heavily and it’s a nasty sprain. Deduct 2 points from your STAMINA. Now you can leave the woodlands after all this time-wasting (turn to 363) or just hang around in the area to see if anything happens (turn to 249).

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Shaggy
STAMINA: 15 Initial Stamina = 17
ENEMY ENCOUNTER:
None
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Knife
Backpack
Waterskin
Leather Jerkin
Pot of Thick Glue
Sword
Shield
2 Ropes
PROVISIONS REMAINING: 10
POSSESSIONS:
Bottle of Olive Oil
2 Pouches
13 Gold Pieces
Lantern
Pestle and Mortar
Sapphire with 50 Facets
Topaz with 24 Facets
Skeleton Key
Wooden Pole
Pearl
Boons: