2022 primaries

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

2022 primaries

Post by Kaelik »

Obviously still somewhat in flux, but democrats have done better then any party with the presidency in midterms in the last 50 years except 2002.

May still lose the house. If they do lose the house, you can thank based democratic hero who arranged the 8 year gop control over the ny senate Andrew Cuomo, because the NY committe map would have given dems like 7 more seats then the one his supreme court justices installed.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PseudoStupidity
Master

Re: 2022 primaries

Post by PseudoStupidity »

The Republican messaging of "The schools are turning your kids LGBT" failed worse than I expected, which is lovely to see. I hope the Republicans don't get the house even though it looks like they will, that would give us a shot in case SCOTUS decides democracy is over. Still worried about that fucking NC SCOTUS case dangling over our heads, but glad the Republicans didn't get both chambers and might not get either.

But fuck 2024 is probably going to be ugly unless the Democrats do something amazing like major healthcare reform (come on you fuckers M4A is right there) or a huge-ass expansion of welfare to protect people from the recession and various climate and foreign policy fueled disasters.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Yeah, we did pretty bad. It'd help if the orange clown would go away, but we also need to re-evaluate our message and policies. I'd like to see us make legal immigration way easier, to the point it's easier and cheaper than illegal immigration for everyone except criminals. I also want us to shift to a more positive stance towards environmentalism. Reducing pollution to improve air and water quality seems like a really good idea for its own sake. I'm not sure how far my team will compromise on abortion, but I've seen too many horrible Earthlings to be opposed to killing them extra early. I say no abortions after the 120th trimester, but that's not set in stone.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

The supreme court's ruling on abortion would be funny, really, if it wasn't so tragic.

Correct in that historically, all abortion was banned, but incorrect in that Roe vs Wade recognised that historical fact and fixed it in law, forbidding bans on abortion before viability. Because in history, you weren't pregnant until the quickening, when you felt the baby kick, that was when they got ensouled, which turned out to be about 20 weeks in the modern understanding.

If someone took a herbal supplement because they were late, to help things along, well, you couldn't prove anything anyway, so it was just how life worked.

Then pregnancy tests got cheap and it wasn't guesswork any more, and they'd hated women having control of their own bodies like that, so attempts to shorten the historic bans on abortions from quickening to conception followed. Roe vs Wade stopped that. Then it got made political, and the US churches pushed the Pope of the time to redefine when the soul entered a new body as being at conception. And of course the pope is infallible so that has retroactively "always been true" now, and the SBC follows that same trick so here we are.

With the obviously religiously motivated court ruling. That has possibly saved the Ds, they certainly campaigned on it, though the Rs who went on about election fraud all lost too, so maybe the voters are just a bit sick of that far right shit.

But, there'll still be a couple Ds easy to buy and vote with the Rs all day in the Senate, even if the house is theirs, so, eh, there's so much needs done, and so many other countries are doing it, sucks to be getting left behind, eh. Plus, no one seems to be stopping the genocide against trans kids, and it's clearly a popular thing for Rs to be doing for their voters, and fox is of course just full of hateful lies all the time in their support.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.