[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below are you most interested in playing next?

FF17: Appointment with F.E.A.R. (Take 2 - different Superpower)
25%
FF51: Island of the Undead
No votes
FF59: Curse of the Mummy
75%

Total votes: 4

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Post by SGamerz »

Only a few of the books left (at least in the Puffin series)! Which one will we tackle next? All the remaining ones are going to be tough no matter which one we pick - including the one that I've picked for a second run:

Appointment with F.E.A.R.

This is chosen for a 2nd take because, as mentioned before, there are actually 4 distinct "True Paths", one for each power, so there're still a lot of ground to cover. We went with ETS in the first go, so if we do this one again, we'd be choosing between the remaining 3 powers (Super Strength, Psi-Powers, Energy Blast).

Island of the Undead

Back cover blurb:
"The mysterious sorcerers of Solani Island have protected the local people from danger for many years. Now, it seems, their power has been usurped. An evil force holds sway across the land, an evil that seems to hold the power over life and death itself!

A hero is urgently needed to journey to Solani Island and discover what has happened to the wizards. Dare YOU be that adventurer? Who knows what terrible fate awaits you on the island where death rules? There is only one way to find out. Are YOU brave enough to solve the mystery of Solani Island?"
This is by far the toughest of the meat-grinders that Keith Martin has ever written, although it does employ some interesting mechanism. If this is chosen, I will be running it with a super-stat 12/24/12 character, because I don't believe any weaker character has a decent chance of succeeding at all.

Curse of the Mummy

Black cover blurb:
"Helping an eccentric archaeologist unearth an ancient tomb in the Desert of Skulls seems like an easy task for a heroic adventurer like YOU. But when that tomb turns out to belong to Akharis, a legendary ruler from a previous age, and when you discover some of his followers are trying to return the evil pharaoh to life, YOU must act quickly. Soon YOU will have to learn the true meaning of The Curse of the Mummy! It will take a real hero to defeat Akharis and win the treasure. Dare YOU take on the challenge?"
This is an early Jonathan Green work, which means, yes, it's another horrendously difficult one, although I heard it's actually slightly less sadistic/broken than his previous 2. Not that it's any less difficult than Island of the Undead, but slightly less demanding on initial stats.

Extra life mechanisms will, of course, be used in all 3 of these, no matter which is picked.
Last edited by SGamerz on Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I voted for Curse of the Mummy, though I was wondering : if we play this, could we start with a little extra money? That would help in terms of items.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy - next book?

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Also voting for Curse of the Mummy, since it seems to be the most interesting of the two that we haven't done yet. If this book is chosen, are we running the original Puffin edition or the updated Wizard edition? I recall that the Wizard edition is slightly easier on the character due to some adjustments, for what it is worth.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’d personally be in favor of finishing the book we tried earlier, so I voted for Appointment With F.E.A.R.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:48 pm
I voted for Curse of the Mummy, though I was wondering : if we play this, could we start with a little extra money? That would help in terms of items.
I will see if I can work that into my starting house rule.
JourneymanN00b wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:41 pm
Also voting for Curse of the Mummy, since it seems to be the most interesting of the two that we haven't done yet. If this book is chosen, are we running the original Puffin edition or the updated Wizard edition? I recall that the Wizard edition is slightly easier on the character due to some adjustments, for what it is worth.
The Puffin version is the one I own.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

SGamerz wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:05 am
JourneymanN00b wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:41 pm
The Puffin version is the one I own.
I looked up Titannica for the differences made, and since this book is difficult enough as it is, I will make adjustments to the opponent stats according to the new editions.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, apparently Appoinment with FEAR has sequels in Fighting Fantazine, so there's that.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:25 pm
Oh, apparently Appoinment with FEAR has sequels in Fighting Fantazine, so there's that.
The Fighting Fantazine adventure is the sequel to a sequel. The original sequel is a Warlock Magazine adventure.
SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Post by SGamerz »

So, we have a clear winner, so we'll go with Curse of the Mummy for our next LP!

As per usual, we get the familiar rules out of the way first...

Standard FF Boilerplate Rules:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
[spoiler]SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.[/spoiler]

Combat:
[spoiler]SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.[/spoiler]

New Stuff:

Poison:

Not exactly a new or novel idea, it's similar to the one in Daggers of Darkness: we have a Poison score that starts at zero. Our character has built up a certain amount of tolerance and immunity to most poison over his years of adventuring, but there's a limit even for him. Each time poison is inflicted on him, the score increases, and the maximum he is able to tolerate is 18 units of Point, at which point it kills him.

Poison score rarely goes down, but it can happen, if we come upon an antidote or some other kind of help that can cure/neutralize the poison in our body.

Equipment:

Obviously not a new concept either, but our starting Equipment is more sparse than your average book (the storyline reason probably being that you were recently victim of a shipwreck). We do still have the usual sword (no leather armour mentioned, but we don't start with any combat penalty anyway, it seems) and backpack. We don't start with any Provisions, or lantern. We do have 5 Gold pieces by default.

Special House Rule:

As with several of the other books I've been running recently, I will roll dice for stats, but allow players to distribute the results to the stats of their choice. However, for this book, I will be rolling an additional dice (so, 5 dice in total). Besides 1 for SKILL, 1 for LUCK and 2 for STAMINA, the last dice is the 'Resource' dice.

The points on the die that you choose as your 'Resource" die can be used 2 ways:

1) Each point can be used for an additional "Life". If we die/fail prematurely, using up a "Life" point will automatically rewind you back to first point you wandered off the "winning" path. Of course, if you are already on it, then you will simply rewind back 1 option or restored to full STAMINA if you died in a combat and continue right where you left off.

2) Alternatively, each Resource point can also be spent for an additional 5 Gold Pieces to our starting cash. (This idea is adapted from what Queen of Swords suggested).

Additional Bonus on Extra Life:

Throughout the adventure, if we find and pick up any item that has the word "Life" in its name or alias, our current number of "Life" points will be doubled. For example, if we started with 2 Life points, and used up one of them before we pick up such an item, our Life Point will be at 2 again; but if we hadn't spent any yet, we will have 4. However, the item will give us a minimum of 1 extra point (so even if we have 0 left, we'd still gain 1). These items will be rare, of course.

So, before we begin, let's roll the dice:

These are what we have rolled. Please vote on which number to distribute to each of your stats before we continue. For the one spent on Resources, please also vote on how many points to spend on Life or on additional gold.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to assign the 6s to Skill and Luck, the 5 and 2 to Stamina, and the 1 on Resources, which would go to Life.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd actually put the 5 in Resources (with max Skill and Luck we can probably get by with only 15 Stamina), but otherwise the same. Spend three on lives and two on extra gold.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'd be fine with either Darth's plan or with putting 2 in Resources (1 for Life, 1 for extra gold).
Thaluikhain
King

Re:

Post by Thaluikhain »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:58 am
I'd be fine with either Darth's plan or with putting 2 in Resources (1 for Life, 1 for extra gold).
That seems a reasonable compromise, I second the latter.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

That actually puts us in a tie between Darth's suggestion and QoS's second suggestion. Any tiebreakers?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’ll move to Queen of Swords’ plan.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

And that settles it! Our PC will start with SKILL 12, STAMINA 18, LUCK 12, 10 gold pieces, and 1 extra life.

Background:
Facing its twin, Halak, on the other side of the mouth of the Bay of Elkor, Rimon is the capital of the Pirate Coast. With their ramshackle mazes of streets and twisting alley-ways, the two ancient towns, perched on the steeply sloping sides of twin mountain peaks, are a haven for buctaneers and renegadesr even the feared pirate captain Garius of Halak has his secret hideout somewhere along the coast. It was a crew of these scurvy pirates who attacked the merchantman on which you had gained passage, travelling north from Kaynlesh-Ma and making for Port Blacksand. Your vessel was sunk and all on board were left to the mercy of the sea.

After several days you were washed ashore - as far as you know, the only survivor of the wreck - with only your sword and enough money to keep you from starvation for just a few days. Finding yourself not far from Rimon, you made your way to the town, hoping to find work guarding a caravan heading north, but you missed the last one to leave for several weeks by only a day. So instead you decided to find gainful employment that might earn you your Passage on another ship heading for Port Blacksand.

Then you saw a notice nailed to a wall in the Adventurer's Guild. The notice read: 'Brave warrior required for dangerous mission into hills around the Desert of Skulls. Great rewards guaranteed. Apply ferran Farr, The Monkey's Paw'. You made some discreet enquiries about this possible employer and discovered that he is an archaeologist of some notoriety; he does not enjoy a very good reputation among the adventuring fraternity of Rimon and is considered by most to be no better than a tomb-robber. However, times are hard, so you decided you had nothing to lose and made your way to the Monkey's Paw, a seedy drinking-house in one of the poorer parts of Rimon.

Entering the bar, you find the clientele as shady-looking as you would expect, and the landlord looks as if he would cut your throat as soon as serve you a drink. You mention Jerran Farr's name, and with a grunt the landlord directs you to a man sitting at a table by himself. Jerran Farr, a moustached man in his mid-thirties, looks as if he too has known his fair share of hardship; he is tanned from days of toil in the baking lands at the edge of the Desert of Skulls and his sleeveless leather jacket, like the rest of his clothes, is worn and dusty and he wears a battered wide-brimmed hat to keep off the sun. Having made your introductions, you sit down opposite the man.

"Have you heard of the Curse of Akharis?' Jerran asks. You shake your head. 'Then I will tell you of the legend. Centuries ago, before the drowning of Atlantis by the gods, the three major continents of Titan - Allansia, the Old World and Khul - were all joined together as one massive continent which early records call lrritaria. At this time, at the southern edge of what we now know as the Desert of Skulls, there existed a small desert kingdom called Djarat. The people of Djarat, who worshipped a whole clutch of animal-headed gods, carried out the practice of mummyfying their dead rulers before burying them in great tombs in the mountains, along with fabulous riches. Akharis was the last of the rulers of Djarat to be buried before the parting of the lands. He favoured Sithera, the Goddess of Evil, above all the other gods of Djarat and was the cruellest tyrant the kingdom had ever known. He demanded human sacrifices for his goddess and was said to commune with dark spirits and bring the mummies of his ancestors back to life. When at last he died, poisoned by one of his enemies, he was aged one hundred and fifty-six. As he lay, dying, Akharis called on Sithera, saying that one day he would return and all would suffer under his curse: plagues of flies, snakes and scorpions would come upon the land, the daytime sky would be a black as at night, and the cities would be swallowed by piles of priceless treasures, in one of the most astonishing tombs ever constructed, one which included many terrible death-traps."

"Interesting as all this is, what does it have to do with you wanting to hire a brave warrior for a dangerous mission?" you ask the archaeologist.

"Let me explain," Jerran continues. "Five days ago I was working at a site on the edge of the rocky hills bordering Rimon when a man staggered into my camp. He was terribly dehydrated, suffering from sunstroke, and he looked as if he had been in a battle. I gave him water and tried to make him as comfortable as possible. As soon as he had recovered a little, he told me what had happened to him. He was part of a group of explorers who had been investigating the lands at the edge of the desert. He told me that at a ruined temple by an oasis they uncovered an inscription that revealed the location of the lost tomb of Akharis with all its treasures. They set out to find it at once, but they had not gone very far when they were ambushed by a group of people, swathed in red robes that bore the emblem of a golden cobra. The rest of his party were either captured or killed and he was left for dead. When it was safe, he started the difficult journey back to Rimon to warn the people what was happening, but he only made it as far as my camp. He died the next morning."

Absorbed by Jerran's tale, you ask, "So who were these red-robed attackers?"

"Members of the Cult of the Cobra,' he replies. 'This cult was the priesthood that worshipped Sithera in Djarat and they were Akharis's most loyal followers. It has always been their aim to find Akharis's tomb and resurrect their long-dead master, so that he could call down his curse upon the land and reclaim his kingdom. The secret sect has been revived in the last decade and it looks as if the Cult of the Cobra have at last found his tomb and are preparing for their king's retum. They must be stopped, or all will suffer the Curse of Akharis. I need one brave warrior to accompany me and infiltrate the cult without their knowing, to thwart their evil plans. If you will help me - and should we succeed - the treasures of the tomb will be our reward."

"Of course I will help you carry out your plan," you say. The possible riches to be found in the tomb could make you wealthy beyond your wildest dreams - but, more important than that, the cult must be stopped from bringing such an evil back into the world. There is no time to lose. You both leave the Monkey's Paw immediately to prepare for your quest.

The pair of you have not gone far along a narrow back street on your way towards the markets of Rimon when a figure, covered from head to toe in fine red robes, drops silently from the top of a wall to the ground in front of you, and a harsh, hissing voice behind you says, "Not so fast, Jerran Farr."
You spin around, to see two more people dressed in the same manner as the first, only their eyes visible between the swathes of red cloth. Their robes bear the emblem of a rearing golden cobra: they must be members of Akharis's evil cult. Each of the cultists is armed with a long curving sword, and an assortment of other silent death-weapons hangs from their belts. "They must have discovered that the explorer survived their attack and they followed his trail to my camp," Jerran whispers under his breath, "and from there they must have followed me to Rimon. What shall we do?'

Will you:
Draw your sword and run at the cultists' leader?
Draw your sword and stand your ground?
Try to escape?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: ??
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 12/12
Poison: 0/18
Equipment: Sword, backpack
Provisions: 0
Gold: 10
Extra Lives remaining: 1
[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Run at the leader; hopefully we can get this down to a 2 on 2 battle.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'd prefer to take the cautious middle road and stand our ground.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to name our hero Rick O'Connell in honor of the classic 1999 movie The Mummy. I also vote to draw his sword and stand his ground, as charging towards someone generally doesn't bode well from a tactical point of view.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Fortunately, since you are standing back-to-back in the narrow street, only one cultist can attack each of you at a time. You prepare to defend yourself against the leader.

CULTIST SKILL 7 STAMINA 7

If you defeat your opponent, turn to 214.
Some things remain constant in FF: when you are standing in a narrow doorway/street/alley, it pays to stay there play defensive and make the enemies come to you one at a time.

COMBAT LOG:
Cultist 14, PC 20. Cultists is at 5.
Cultist 18, PC 19. Cultists is at 3.
Cultist 13, PC 23. Cultists is at 1.
Cultist 15, PC 14. PC is at 16.
Cultist 16, PC 18. Cultists is killed.

Damn, we fell just short of getting a flawless. Annoying.
As your opponent falls, so does Jerran's. Before you can stop him, the third cultist turns tail and flees towards the markets. What will you do now? Will you pursue the cultist and try to stop him before he can warn the rest of the sect, leave Rimon immediately, with the intention of heading the cultist off on the way to the tomb, or ignore the cultist and visit the markets to prepare for your quest?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: ??
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 16/18
LUCK 12/12
Poison: 0/18
Equipment: Sword, backpack
Provisions: 0
Gold: 10
Extra Lives remaining: 1
[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Since extra gold was a special option I assume the market is important. So go there.
Queen of Swords
Prince

leave Rimon immediately, with the intention of heading the cultist off on the way to the tomb
Nice try, Mr. Green, but anyone who's ever played FF knows items are a must.

Go to the markets.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to visit the markets to assemble Rick O'Connell's loadout.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Quickly exploring Rimon's markets, you soon discover what the many stalls have to offer. Jerran Fan hands you a bag containing 30 Gold Pieces and leaves it to you to decide what may be most useful on your quest. Read through the list of items described below and, if you buy anything, deduct the appropriate number of Gold Pieces and record the item on your Adventure Sheet. You may buy only one of any item on this list unless you are told otherwise.

Rope and Grapple - a length of rope with a metal hook attached at one end. Cost: 3 Gold Pieces.

Provisions - you may buy any number of meals. Cost: 1 Gold Piece per meal.

Lantern and Oil - each use of the lantern consumes one skin of oil. Cost: 3 Gold Pieces for the lantern plus one skin of oil. Additional skins: 1 Gold Piece per skin.

Healing Draught - each tot of this elixir restores STAMINA points equivalent to half your Initial score (rounding fractions up). There are three tots in the bottle. Cost: 5 Gold Pieces.

Anti-Poison - when drunk, this potion will reduce your POISON total by 4 points. Cost:4 Gold Pieces.

Brass Telescope - this finely crafted telescope is one of the most incredible examples of the metalworker's art that you have ever seen. Cost: 5 Gold Pieces.

Firepowder - an alchemical compound wrapped in a paper parcel with a taper protruding from one end. When lit, within a few seconds the package will explode (roll one dice to find out how many points you may deduct from the STAMINA of any creature in contact with it). You may throw the package at an opponent at the start of a battle by successfully Testing your Skill. Cost:4 Gold Pieces.

Torch - a length of wood with oil-soaked rags wrapped round one end. Useful as either a light source or a flaming weapon. You may buy a maximum of three torches. Cost: 1 Gold Piece per torch.

Several merchants, who look as if they have done very well for themselves from the trade, try to tempt you into inspecting their slightly more unusual - and more expensive - wares. If you have some money left and want to have a look at what they have to offer, turn to 15. Otherwise, you leave the market and set off on your quest.
Other than this shopping list, please also vote on whether you wish to look at more 'unusual wares' as well.

With 40 gold pieces to spend, we can obviously buy out everything in the market and still fill our backpack out with extra meals and skins of oil (is this the first book that keeps track of lantern fuel?) of which there is no limit, but obviously, you'd probably want to save some money for the more unusual-and-expensive wares if you vote to look at those!

The way this is presented, we need to decide what to buy here before we look at the unusual wares. We can't compare both lists and cherry-pick after that...
Queen of Swords
Prince

Okay, these are my choices.

Rope and grapple (we're down to 37 GP)

Lantern and 2 additional skins of oil (down to 32 GP)

Brass telescope (down to 27 GP)

Firepowder (down to 23 GP)

Torch (down to 22 GP)

10 Provisions (down to 12 GP)

12 GP should be enough to afford one or two unusual items, so I vote to look at those next.