[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below are you most interested in playing next?

FF17: Appointment with F.E.A.R. (Take 2 - different Superpower)
25%
FF51: Island of the Undead
No votes
FF59: Curse of the Mummy
75%

Total votes: 4

SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 59 - Curse of the Mummy

Post by SGamerz »

Unstoppering the bottle, you throw its contents over the Mummy. Akharis howls with pain as the purifying waters eat into his undead body like acid! Roll one dice: this is how much damage the Waters of Life cause the Mummy (make a note of the number of points of STAMINA loss you have already inflicted on Akharis).
Die roll = 6! If only we rolled this well for the Sun Talisman too!
You now have only three options open to you, since Akharis is upon you. You can either attack him with your sword, try to remove his death-mask or try to destroy the sarcophagus.
The options to use fire and/or other charms are now gone, and we're left with 3 choices...

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Boris O’Connell
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 16/18
LUCK 6/12
Poison: 6/18
Equipment: Sword, backpack, Rope and Grapple, Firepowder (can be thrown at opponent at start of combat, hit after successful Skill test for 1D6 damage), Crystal Pyramid, Papyrus Scroll (subtract 20 from section number to translate hieroglyphic script), Statuette of Assamarra, God of the Sand, Ankh (Key of Life, set with 12 precious stones), Jet Cat, Gold statue of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, Dajaratian Book of the Dead, Falcon Breastplate (60 feathers), Golden Key ('34' inscribed on it), Eye Amulet, Iron Wand, Sun Talisman (24 rays of light projecting from it)
Provisions: 1
Gold: 3
Extra Lives remaining: 1
Notes: We received Cranno's Warning. "And all those who would despoil the shrine of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, beware the wrath of the crocodile-headed one." We gained the Wisdom of Khunam (understanding of ancient Djaratian speech - add 30 to section number when spoken to in that language). Dajaratian dead making their journey through the underworld must face thirteen hazards.
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, was expecting more, we could get that just from firepowdering him.

Removing the deathmask seems risky, since it's attached to his face, try wrecking the sarcophagus.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Yes, try to destroy the sarcophagus.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’m curious what removing the death mask would do but destroying the sarcophagus is probably a safer bet.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

SGamerz wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:56 am
For every earthenware jar you have that you can destroy, deduct 2 point from Akharis's STAMINA...

With 4 jars, we took 4 STAMINA
I just realized, the text says that for every jar we destroy, we can deduct two points from his stamina, but we have four jars, so shouldn't that be 8 Stamina?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I again vote to destroy the sarcophagus.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:17 pm
SGamerz wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:56 am
For every earthenware jar you have that you can destroy, deduct 2 point from Akharis's STAMINA...

With 4 jars, we took 4 STAMINA
I just realized, the text says that for every jar we destroy, we can deduct two points from his stamina, but we have four jars, so shouldn't that be 8 Stamina?
Sorry, that was actually a typo by me. The smashed jars only do 1 STAMINA damage each.
To reach the sarcophagus, you will first have to get past Akharis himself. The foul Mummy reaches out for you with bandaged talons.(Remember to deduct any points of damage you have already inflicted on Akharis.)

AKHARIS SKILL 13 11 STAMTNA 25 15

As soon as you have fought four rounds of combat, you get past the lurching undead horror and run up the dais steps to the sarcophagus. But how will you destroy it? There are several large cracks across the coffin, but you feel sure that striking it with your sword will have little effect. If you have some Firepowder you could use, tum to 373. Otherwise, you decide to try to push the great stone coffti off the dais, hoping that the fall will break it. Roll four dice; if the total is greater than your STAMINA score, you are not strong enough to carry out such a herculean feat. If the total is less than or equal to your STAMINA score, you succeed in pushing the sarcophagus off the dais so that it hits the floor with devastating results.
Thanks to the damage we'd done to it earlier, we now have a slight advantage over it in stats. And it looks like the Firepowder can be put to use after all!

COMBAT LOG:
Akharis 20, Boris O’Connell 19. BOC is at 14.
Akharis 20, BOC 17. BOC is at 12.
Akharis 14, BOC 19. Akharis is at 13.
Akharis 21, BOC 19. BOC is at 10.

Ouch, the 4 rounds of combat didn't go that well for Boris. But now he reaches the sarcophagus, and ignites the Firepowder. Perhaps that will even the odds further...
The sarcophagus shatters in an explosion of stone shards. Some of the lumps of rock hit you (lose 3 STAMINA points) but Akharis comes off worse. The sarcophagus was what partly restored the Mummy's strength, but you have robbed him of those life-giving energies; reduce his STAMINA score by 6 points when you come to fight the weakened Akharis. However, your adversary is now almost upon you. Will you attack him with the Waters of Life, if you have them, or with your sword, or will you try to remove his death-mask?
Both Boris' and Akharis' STAMINA points are now at 7! It's now either go for the mask or a straight fight!

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 7/18
LUCK 6/12
Equipment: Sword, backpack, Rope and Grapple, Crystal Pyramid, Papyrus Scroll (subtract 20 from section number to translate hieroglyphic script), Statuette of Assamarra, God of the Sand, Ankh (Key of Life, set with 12 precious stones), Jet Cat, Gold statue of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, Dajaratian Book of the Dead, Falcon Breastplate (60 feathers), Golden Key ('34' inscribed on it), Eye Amulet, Iron Wand, Sun Talisman (24 rays of light projecting from it)
Provisions: 1
Notes: We received Cranno's Warning. "And all those who would despoil the shrine of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, beware the wrath of the crocodile-headed one." We gained the Wisdom of Khunam (understanding of ancient Djaratian speech - add 30 to section number when spoken to in that language). Dajaratian dead making their journey through the underworld must face thirteen hazards.
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to use Boris O'Connell's sword, as I feel that trying to remove his death-mask will be a trap. I also vote to chomp down the last Provision before starting the final battle.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, if taking off the mask will be something like "fight Akharis for three rounds and if you get the mask off after that he loses 1 skill point", we're better off just using our sword. But man, is that going to need some very fortunate dice rolls.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Same stamina as us, one less skill, should be able to do this without mucking around with the mask. Also vote for eating if that's possible.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since there was technically no combat in the section where the sarcophagus is destroyed, so Boris somehow manages to wolf down his last meal and restore his STAMINA to 11 through the heartburn.
At last you find yourself face-to-face with the ancient evil that you carne all this way to destroy. Remember to deduct any points of SKILL or STAMINA damage you may have already caused the Mummy, then do battle with Akharis, who tries to beat you into oblivion with his powerful fists.

AKHARIS SKILL 13 11 STAMINA 25 7

If you overcome your inhumanly strong, ultimate opponent, turn to 336.
COMBAT LOG:
Akharis 18, Boris O’Connell 22. Akharis is at 5.
Akharis 19, BOC 22. Akharis is at 3.
Akharis 17, BOC 22. Akharis is at 1.
Akharis 19, BOC 20. Akharis is defeated!
Against all the odds, you have done it - after countless centuries, Akharis is dead! Regain 1 LUCK point. All that remains is for you to burn his undead remains and then.. A terrible groaning sound, coming from high above you, and gasps of terror from the cultists cause you to look up at the statue of Sithera. Just when you thought it was all over, the great statue's eyes are glowing with a sinister light and the colossus is coming creakily to life. The statue sweeps a taloned arm at you which you manage to dodge before it can hit you. Your non-magical weapon will have no effect on the animated statue, so what can you possibly use to defeat it? If you have an ankh among your possessions, you will know how many precious stones it has set into it. Multiply this number by twelve, then turn to the paragraph with the same number. If you do not have an ankh, turn to 73.
Key of Life activate!
Something tells you to pull the Ankh out of your backpack and brandish it in front of the statue. The Ankh glows with power in your grasp. The statue's piercing gaze falls on the ancient artefact and it stops in its tracks. Then the stone limbs stiffen once more and the eldritch light of its eyes fades. Screaming with fury, the cultists run towards you, intent on avenging themselves by your demise. But the transformation of the statue is not over yet. With a terrible cracking sound, fissures appear all over Sithera's image and pieces of it break off and fall to the floor of the chamber. At the same time, great rifts form across the walls of the dark temple and huge chunks of masonry crash down all round you. The whole temple is starting to collapse! The cultists forget about you and, more concerned over their own plight, try to flee from the crumbling building. Just as you are thinking of following suit, two rotting hands reach out and grab youround the neck. Unravaged by fire, Akharis lives again! Breaking free of .the Mummy's grip, you must now fight Akharis again.

AKHARIS SKILL 8 STAMINA 10

If you reduce Akharis's STAMINA score to 4 points or less in five Attack Rounds or fewer, tum to 46. If you do not, before your battle is even over the temple roof falls in, crushing you under tonnes of rock.
Rematch! He's weaker this time, but there's a time limit...

COMBAT LOG:
Akharis 15, Boris O’Connell 17. Akharis is at 8.
Akharis 18, BOC 17. BOC is at 9.
Akharis 14, BOC 14. Tie.
Akharis 13, BOC 18. Akharis is at 6.
Akharis 13, BOC 17. Akharis is at 4.

We just made it in round 5! I can't believe we had more trouble with a SKILL-8 Akharis than a SKILL-11 one.
The force of your blow sends Akharis reeling back into the one brazier left standing. Instantly the magical fire ignites his wrappings and the Mummy bursts into flames. Howling, Akharis's burning undead body stumbles forward and topples down the steps. In moments, all that is left of the evil creature is a pile of ashes. Akharis is truly dead at last.

But even though you have succeeded in your quest, will you be able to escape and live to tell the tale? For the first time, you notice, behind the broken remains of the statute of Sithera, an alcove which contains some of the cult's magical artefacts Will you waste no more precious moments and flee the temple, or will you see if you can use the artefacts to help you get out?
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 9/18
LUCK 7/12
Equipment: Sword, backpack, Rope and Grapple, Crystal Pyramid, Papyrus Scroll (subtract 20 from section number to translate hieroglyphic script), Statuette of Assamarra, God of the Sand, Ankh (Key of Life, set with 12 precious stones), Jet Cat, Gold statue of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, Dajaratian Book of the Dead, Falcon Breastplate (60 feathers), Golden Key ('34' inscribed on it), Eye Amulet, Iron Wand, Sun Talisman (24 rays of light projecting from it)
Provisions: 0
[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

And even if we hadn't eaten that last meal, we'd have made it! :)

I don't know if we can run out of the temple in time, though, so try the artefacts.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to see if Boris O'Connell can use the artefacts to get out.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Artefacts, yeah.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’m wondering if this is meant to be a “you don’t have any time to grab the artefacts, but you do hate time to run” scenario. So I’m wondering if we should run instead.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

In the alcove is a crystal orb, resting on a golden stand, an alabaster bowl containing brightly coloured powders, and a flask fashioned in the form of a viper, containing some black liquid. What will you try to use to aid your escape?

The crystal orb?
The coloured powders?
The viper's venom?
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'd rather not try drinking any black liquids in viper-shaped flasks.

Of the two artefacts left, either one might be useful. The colored powder makes me think of the teleportation dust in Trial of Champions, but the crystal ball reminds me of the Aleph in Spectral Stalkers. Try the crystal ball, I guess.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If the choice is between the best FF book and Livingstone trying too hard to outdo himself I’ll go with the former in a heartbeat.

Take the round object that reminds me of the Aleph.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote for the crystal orb, since I know how sadistic Trial of Champions was, and I do not have an ounce of trust for any items that are related to that cursed adventure, or with venom in general.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Gazing into the depths of the crystal orb, you concentrate all your mental energies into searching for something within it. Test your Skill, adding 1 to the dice roll. If you succeed, turn to 358. If you fail, turn to 313.
Dice roll = 9(+1) = 10. Success!
You are sure that you can see an image forming in the centre of the orb: it is a figure with beads and feathers woven into its fur, and the dog-like face confirms that you have contacted Lopar, the Shaman of Spirit Rock! You call out to Lopar, and he looks in your direction. Somewhat surprised, he greets you and you hurriedly tell him of your success in your quest and of your present predicament. "Then we must get you out straight away," Lopar says anxiously. "i will try to teleport you out - but I must warn you that you are a long distance away and I may not have the strength to lift and carry you over such a distance." The Shaman's expression changes to one of deep concentration and the world round you grows hazy. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 400. If you are Unlucky, turn to 285.
Oh dear, with our LUCK at 7, our chances are only slightly better than 50/50...

Dice roll = 10 (Unlucky)!
The world solidifies round you again - but to your horror you see that you are still in the crumbling temple. Lopar does not have the power to teleport you from such a great distance away! You have saved Allansia from the Curse of Akharis but, as the temple falls in over you, your adventure, and your life, ends here, entombed in the Necropolis of the ancient Diaratian kings.
Literally falling at the last step! But wait, we do still have 1 more extra life! This gives us 1 last chance...

Dice roll = 3 (Lucky)!
With a final, terrible, thundering roar, the Temple of Sithera crashes to the ground - but you have already gone... The world solidifies around you again, and you find yourself in the familiar surroundings of Lopar's cave inside Spirit Rock. The Shaman looks drained after casting the teleportation spell that brought you here, but you can also sense his relief. You are suddenly overcome by exhaustion, now that you are able to relax properly for the first time in days.

Eventually Lopar speaks: "Your bravery, skill and quick wits have foiled ALharis's return to power and, for that, hundreds of unknowing people owe you a debt that can never be paid. But now you must rest. Lie down beside the fire and sleep." And sleep you do, secure in the knowledge that you have thwarted the nefarious plans of the Cult of the Cobra and saved all
Allansia from the Curse of the Mummy.
And we made it, at last! Congratulations for completing another one of the more difficult entries in the series. It took us 4 attempts, and frankly even 3 failures can look rather deceptive regarding its difficulty level, considering we started with close to max stats and extra money for more resources. And this was only the "easiest" of Jonathan Green's Puffin entries!

As usual, some missing content will be revealed tomorrow (there's isn't much of it left for this book since we went through most of the book on replays), and any specific questions regarding the book will be answered as well.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the LP!

Final Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 9/18
LUCK 6/12
Provisions: 0
Extra Lives remaining: 0
Notes: We received Cranno's Warning. "And all those who would despoil the shrine of Cracca, Lord of Rivers and Ferryman of the Gods, beware the wrath of the crocodile-headed one." We gained the Wisdom of Khunam (understanding of ancient Djaratian speech - add 30 to section number when spoken to in that language). Dajaratian dead making their journey through the underworld must face thirteen hazards. Akharis gains strength from his coffin.
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for running this Let's Play, SGamerz.
Queen of Swords
Prince

This was fun, and so tense! Thanks for hosting it.

Was there any use for the Sandworm's Tooth or the Jet Cat? I imagine our hero preparing for retirement : "If you're planning a desert expedition, you'll want this Jet Cat, a steal at only 10 GP..."
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Thanks for hosting.

A luck test to get the best ending at the end when you've used up all your resources seems a bit mean, but then you still stop the villain either way.
SGamerz
King

Re:

Post by SGamerz »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:11 am
Was there any use for the Sandworm's Tooth or the Jet Cat?
No.

I think, with the exception of generic stuff use-at-any-time stuff like healing draughts or alternative fire sources (lamp and Yokka Eggs), we've picked up and used every potentially useful item. Anything else that we'd found and not used are either not useful at all or outright harmful. Yeah, there are quite a few red herring/trap items in the book, although thankfully only the Malachite Amulet gets you killed outright.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thanks for running! Was the crystal ball the only way out at the end?