[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 50 – Return to Firetop Mountain

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 50 – Return to Firetop Mountain

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dickblade Cockbiter will enter the back room.

You find yourself in a small kitchen. Everything is filthy: a wooden bowl is stacked high with cracked plates of rotting food; a pot of vile-looking soup bubbles away on top of a wood-fired stove – it smells about as appetizing as the smell of rotten eggs. There are a few jars of herbs on a rack above the stove and a jug of water stands on the floor. You also notice a box of cutlery; sorting through it, you find a gold spoon, which you pop into your backpack; then you walk back into the room where the Orc and Dwarf lie motionless. Stepping over their bodies, you leave the room, turning right into the tunnel (turn to 13).

You soon come to another door, but this time there is no window to look through. You press your ear to the door and hear what sounds like somebody moaning in pain. If you want to open the door, turn to 118. If you would rather walk on, turn to 387.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Dickblade Cockbiter
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 3 Initial Stamina = 15
LUCK: 7 Initial Luck = 11
WEAPONS:
3 Steel Daggers
Darkblade’s Sword
ARMOUR:
Shield
TREASURE:
3 Gold Pieces Stamped With “Z”
6 Gold Pieces
Gold Dragon Tooth Stamped With “315” and Heart Symbol Inside Flaming Circle
Gold Ring Stamped With “30” and Inscribed With “Seeing Is Believing”
Gold Spoon
EQUIPMENT:
Backpack
Lantern
Mushroom
Ring of Invisibility
Iron Key With “142” Stamped
Wooden Ball
Leather Pouch
Rope
Magnifying Glass
Silver Dagger
Leather Gloves
Mirror
Tin Whistle
Onyx Egg
Silver Bell
BOONS:
2 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Open the door.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, enter the back room. Dickblade Cockbiter needs healing badly.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open the door, yeah.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We found the kitchen and still didn't find anything to heal us. But of course, shiny eating utensils are far more important.

I don't think FF is allowed to feature masochist activities (being targeted at kids presumably still meant this much, at least), so whomever that's moaning in pain probably needs help, so we should open the door and save the moaning guy in exchange for important plot token or exposition.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Opening the door received 3 votes, so Dickblade Cockbiter will do this.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The door opens into a dingy cell. Two rats scurry across the dirty, straw-covered floor as you enter. On the far wall you see a thin man wearing red trousers; he is sitting on the floor and his hands are chained to the wall; a bandage covers his eyes. The man panics as he hears your footsteps. He presses himself against the wall and cries, ‘No! No more pain! No more pain!’ You think you recognize his voice and try to think of his name. Is it Zoot Zimmer (turn to 57) or Fergus Finn (turn to 287)?

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that they will be counted.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I don't know who Fergus Finn is, but even if this is him, we never met him before and probably can't prove we did, so Zoot Zimmer.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Zoot Zimmer was wearing red trousers beforehand, but don't know how he would have gotten here before us. Say ZZ.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dickblade Cockbiter will call out Zoot Zimmer as the name.

‘That is indeed my name, stranger, but how did you know it? Have we met somewhere before? Before I can trust you, I need to be convinced that you do know me. Can you tell me the number of my house in Hobnail Street?’ If you know the number of the house, turn to the paragraph with that number. If you do not, turn to 176.

Dickblade Cockbiter does know number of Zoot Zimmer’s house in Hobnail Street, which is 36, so we will go to paragraph 36.

‘So, you must indeed be a friend,’ Zoot says excitedly. ‘Alas, I will not be able to recognize you. While I was flying back to Kaad on my giant eagle, a Fire Dragon attacked. I was blinded and my beautiful eagle was badly burnt. We crash-landed in some trees. The eagle in her last heroic moment saved my life but gave up her own, trying to shield me. An Orc patrol picked me up and brought me here, gleefully telling me that my left arm was to be sewn on to Zagor in place of his own rotten bones. Set me free and I’ll help you defeat this evil warlock.’ You prise open his iron shackles and help him to his feet. ‘I may be blind but I’m still a Half-Elf. My sense of touch may well prove useful in this trap-infested hell-hole. Let’s go.’

You lead Zoot out of the room and turn right along the tunnel which ends, however, at a stone wall. There are footprints on the floor, which all point towards the end wall. You tell Zoot that you think there may be a secret door in the wall. He runs his fingers slowly over the wall, searching for hairline cracks. He soon finds a loose stone and carefully pulls it out. There is an iron handle in the recess.

‘This handle will open the secret door, but I think there’s a hidden trap attached to it. There may be another way of opening the door.’ At the foot of the wall he finds another loose stone with another handle behind it. ‘This will be the one. I’m sure. Hello, I’ve found something else. Here, take a look and tell me what it is.’

It is a large tooth made of solid gold which has the number ‘186’ stamped on it. Add 1 point to your LUCK.

Zoot smiles when you describe it to him. ‘Stand back while I turn this handle. You never know, I’ve been wrong before.’

He turns the handle and you hear a click. The secret door swings open inwards – but at the same time the floor stone on which Zoot is standing drops away beneath him. You hear his loud scream fade away as he falls to his death at the bottom of a spiked pit. Spurred on by sudden anger, you leap across the pit and through the doorway, landing safely in a cross-tunnel. The secret door swings slowly back and slams shut, and now you cannot even tell that it is there.

Looking to the left, you see an iron portcullis in the left-hand wall of the tunnel which goes on for another twenty metres before ending at the mass of rubble of a cave-in. Looking right, the tunnel continues for twenty metres before turning left. If you want to take a look at the portcullis, turn to 253. If you would rather go to the right, turn to 3.

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
LUCK: 8 Initial Luck = 11
WEAPONS:
3 Steel Daggers
Darkblade’s Sword
ARMOUR:
Shield
TREASURE:
6 Gold Pieces
Gold Spoon
Gold Tooth Stamped With”186”
EQUIPMENT:
Backpack
Lantern
Mushroom
Ring of Invisibility
Wooden Ball
Leather Pouch
Rope
Magnifying Glass
Silver Dagger
Leather Gloves
Mirror
Tin Whistle
Onyx Egg
Silver Bell
BOONS:
2 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I wonder how long it'll be before he gets killed by some...oh. Is that a record?

Anyway, check out portcullis.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Poor Zoot.

Oh well, check out the portcullis.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Check portcullis.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dickblade Cockbiter will take a look at the portcullis.

The portcullis bars your entry to another tunnel; it is too heavy to lift. On the wall on the other side of the portcullis there are two levers, just out of reach. You walk on to the place where the tunnel ends and poke around in the rubble. Here you find a small metal canister which contains a large bronze tooth with the number “280” stamped on it. You put the tooth in your pocket and walk back down the tunnel. Turn to 3.

On turning the corner, you come across an old wooden bench above which there is a sign, but the painted words on the sign have all but flaked off. All you can make out is the first word, which is ‘Rest’. If you want to sit down on the bench, turn to 211. If you would rather walk on, turn to 162.

Adventure Sheet
WEAPONS:
3 Steel Daggers
Darkblade’s Sword
ARMOUR:
Shield
TREASURE:
6 Gold Pieces
Gold Spoon
Gold Tooth Stamped With ”186”
Bronze Tooth Stamped with “280”
EQUIPMENT:
Backpack
Lantern
Mushroom
Ring of Invisibility
Wooden Ball
Leather Pouch
Rope
Magnifying Glass
Silver Dagger
Leather Gloves
Mirror
Tin Whistle
Onyx Egg
Silver Bell
BOONS:
2 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

This is a callback spot to Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and it was a healing spot. We need healing desperately, so sit for the heal.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, sit on the bench.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, I remember this from the previous book. Sit down.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sitting down on the bench received 3 votes, so Dickblade Cockbiter will do this.

After sitting down on the bench, you begin to feel relaxed. Your aches and pains are slowly soothed away by the healing properties of the enchanted bench. Regain 2 STAMINA points and 1 SKILL point. With renewed energy and determination, you set off down the tunnel (turn to 162).

You soon arrive at a junction in the tunnel. There is another cave-in in the left-hand tunnel, some thirty metres further on. The roof of the tunnel to your right has also caved in, but there is a new branch in the left-hand wall just before the cave-in. You decide to make a quick right-left turn and make you way up the new branch. The new tunnel soon ends at a sturdy wooden door; you try the handle and it turns. You peer round the door and see a human skeleton lying on the floor of a dust-covered room. There is a fine-looking sword in the skeleton’s hand. If you need a sword, turn to 225. Otherwise, you may either open an old box that is in the corner of the room (turn to 93) or leave the room through the door in the far wall (turn to 121).

Important Note: After looking at the publicly available errata, I am interpreting this paragraph’s text as asking if our hero needs a regular sword. Since Dickblade Cockbiter did lose his sword earlier in this adventure, we will turn to paragraph 225.

Before touching the sword, you make sure that it is not wired up to a trap. When you are quite happy that this is not a trap, you take the sword. If you were previously without a sword, regain 2 SKILL points; if you are already carrying a sword, you now have a spare, which you tuck into your belt. If you wish to open the old box, turn to 93. If you would rather leave the room through the door in the far wall, turn to 121.

Adventure Sheet
STAMINA: 5 Initial Stamina = 15
WEAPONS:
3 Steel Daggers
Darkblade’s Sword
Sword
ARMOUR:
Shield
TREASURE:
6 Gold Pieces
Gold Spoon
EQUIPMENT:
Backpack
Lantern
Mushroom
Ring of Invisibility
Wooden Ball
Leather Pouch
Rope
Magnifying Glass
Silver Dagger
Leather Gloves
Mirror
Tin Whistle
Onyx Egg
Silver Bell
BOONS:
2 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Open the box.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open the box.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Open the box.

(And yeah, having a spare sword would be good, since I wouldn't put it past the author to implement some other trap that causes another loss of weapon.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Open the box.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dickblade Cockbiter will open the old box.

The box is empty, apart from a ball of string. You put the string in your backpack and leave the room through the door in the far wall (turn to 121).

The door opens into a short corridor which ends, a few metres ahead, at another wooden door. You listen but hear nothing. You try the handle and it turns, and you walk into a room which is richly decorated. The floor is of polished marble and the walls are painted white, although grown dull and faded over the years. There are four paler square patches, one on each wall, where, you guess, paintings used to hang. There is a door in the far wall which suddenly opens, and a tall, muscular creature with long arms enter the room. It stops in its tracks when it sees you and starts to drool. Its long, tusk-like teeth protrude menacingly from its bottom jaw. Armed with a spiked club, the savage Cave Troll runs forward to attack.

CAVE TROLL SKILL 9 STAMINA 9

If you win, turn to 284.

Given that Dickblade Cockbiter is at 5 Stamina, should Luck be used for this fight? If so, should it be used to reduce the damage that our hero takes or to inflict additional damage?

The first choice to receive two votes (or two votes over all other choices) will be used to resolve the rest of the battles. If no option has a winning margin before 6:00 PM PDT, I will make the choice based on which votes are cast.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Use luck twice to deal extra damage; we have enough of a Skill advantage that I think we’re not too likely to be hit.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for voting. Luck will be used twice to deal extra damage in this fight.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Luck Roll: 4, Player is Lucky and deals 2 extra Stamina damage
Cave Troll Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 5, Player Luck: 7
Round 2: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Cave Troll Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 3
Round 3: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 22;
Luck Roll: 10, Player is Unlucky and only deals 1 Stamina damage
Cave Troll Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 3, Player Luck: 6
Round 4: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Cave Troll Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 3
Round 5: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Cave Troll Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 3[/spoiler]

Dickblade Cockbiter manages to kill the Cave Troll after taking a blow from the Cave Troll and scoring one Lucky and one Unlucky blow against it during the fight.

A pouch on the Cave Troll’s belt holds 3 Copper Pieces, some garlic, a crude metal ear-ring in the shape of an earwig, and a piece of paper with the word ‘Leg’ written on it. Perhaps the Cave Troll was on a mission to find Zagor a leg for his new body. You may take any or all of the Copper Pieces, the garlic and the piece of paper, and decide what to do with the ear-ring. If you want to wear it, turn to 100. Otherwise, you walk up to the door ahead (turn to 149)

Please make your votes on what to take from the Cave Troll’s corpse and whether to wear the ear-ring or not before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
LUCK: 6 Initial Luck = 11
WEAPONS:
3 Steel Daggers
Darkblade’s Sword
Sword
ARMOUR:
Shield
TREASURE:
6 Gold Pieces
Gold Spoon
EQUIPMENT:
Backpack
Lantern
Mushroom
Ring of Invisibility
Wooden Ball
Leather Pouch
Rope
Magnifying Glass
Silver Dagger
Leather Gloves
Mirror
Tin Whistle
Onyx Egg
Silver Bell
Ball of String
BOONS:
2 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I think we're in the wrong era for men wearing earrings (and while the default character template for this book seems gender-neutral, Dick(blade, is almost definitely male). Leave the earring, but take everything else.