[Let's Play] Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook 6: Castle of Lost Souls

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Golden Dragon Fantasy Gamebook 6: Castle of Lost Souls

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to cross the room to the archway.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Before you can go any further you will need a source of light. Will you take down the pine torch, or would you prefer to light up your lantern?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to use the lantern, as that is what we have it for.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The pine torch *could* trigger a secret passageway, but is more likely a trap.

Use the lantern.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Holding up your lantern, you cross over to the archway - only to find that the passage beyond ends in a blank wall after only a few yards. You search in vain for a secret panel, but you are finally forced to accept that it is a dead end. Puzzled, you return to the hallway and try the stairs.
Hmm....

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a second opportunity to find out if Darth's conjecture is correct...
You climb up to the first floor landing. From here you can go left or right.
Of course this is bound to come at some point...
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go left to resist fascism, of course, since that evil ideology is obviously growing in strength right now.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You advance along a narrow corridor illuminated by the amber glow of oil lamps. Shortly you come to a door in the left-hand wall. A few metres further, on the other side of the corridor, you see another door. Will you:

Try the door to your left?
Try the door to your right?
Continue along the corridor?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to try the door on the left to further our hero's stance against fascism.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure, left hand rule works for me.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The door seems to be barred or barricaded shut. If you wish to knock, turn to 180. Otherwise, you may try the door in the other wall or carry on to the end of the corridor.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Knock.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to knock.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You pound the door with your fist, producing a booming echo. After a few moments a small panel slides back and the occupant of the room examines you. You see his eyes alight on the talisman Jasper gave you; immediately he gives a cry of delight and starts to clear his barricade from the other side of the door. You wait nervously in the passage, praying that all this noise won't alert the demon. Finally the door opens and the old man ushers you in. The place is a vast, vaulted library with all manner of books and pamphlets lining every inch of the walls from floor to ceiling.

'You've come at last!' says the old man, crying with joy. 'I knew my lads wouldn't let me down - I'm Luther Faze, of course.' He shows you to a leather armchair by the fireplace and thrusts a glass of tawny port wine into your hand. Obviously, although Slank's prisoner, he is. not completely without creature comforts. He takes down a musty tome and opens it at a chapter headed Dealing with Demons. 'Now listen carefully, for there isn't much time. You should have a number of items, and this book describes how each item will affect Slank. Firstly, a four leaf clover will have much the same effect on him as a crucifix has on a vampire - he won't want to touch it or go anywhere near it. Second, if you throw my daughter's teardrop into his left eye you'll blind him completely, as I've already managed to destroy his right eye. Now, do you have the fragment of knight's armour and the hair of a nun?'

If you have both these items turn to 169. If not, turn to 10.
Items check passed...
Following instructions in his book, Luther affixes the sliver of armour to the point of one of your arrows. He then restrings your bow using the nun's hair. This will kill Slank at once if you shoot him through the heart,' he explains. 'Lastly, then, do you have the ashes of a saint?'

If you do, turn to 275. If not, turn to 88.
Another one passed!
'Excellent. After killing Slank you must scatter the ashes over his body. Now, I wish you good luck.' You shake hands before taking your leave of him and continuing along the corridor. Behind you, you hear him pushing the library furniture back against the door.
You pause a few metres beyond the library, beside the other door. If you wish to open it, turn to 264. If you wish to continue on along the corridor, turn to 135.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to open the other door.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open other door.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:36 am
I vote to open the other door.
And I succumb to fascism? (That was the right door in the previous option) I am shocked!

You step through the doorway and advance along a dank passage. Peering through an archway to your right, you espy the scarlet and gold outlines of a bizarre demonic face hanging in the blackness before you. A luminous mask on the far wall of the chamber, perhaps? You thrust your lantern forward, but it does little to pierce the thick shadows. If you wish to go through the archway, turn to 298. If you would rather continue along the passage, turn to 251.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sigh. As much as I hate wallowing deeper into fascism, I vote to go through the archway, as there is probably something valuable there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, may as well try archway.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Holding your lantern aloft and treading warily in the deep darkness, you approach the glinting lines of the demon-mask. A sob of terrified breath catches in your throat as you hear an ominous hiss - you know at once that you are not looking at a mask but at the head of a Giant Cobra! It turns towards you, and its scales glisten like polished jet in your lamplight. As it rears up and slithers across the flagstones, you see its slender tongue dart in and out like a flickering red flame. Its jaws are wet with lethal venom, and you quickly prepare to defend yourself from its attack.

GIANT COBRA VIGOUR 12

Roll two dice:
score 2 - Turn to 31
score 3 to 5 - You are hit; lose 3 VIGOUR
score 6 to 12 - The Cobra loses 3 VIGOUR

If you FLEE back to the passage and hurry on, turn to 251. If you kill the Giant Cobra, turn to 123.
Second fight in the entire book since the cutpurse!

While this is not the strongest opponent, as you can see something happens if we roll 2, so I'm pausing here to see if players wish to flee (we must pass AGILITY roll or take a free hit, but that one would just be normal damage), or use the Luck Charm to give us an extra free hit or 2, or just fight normally.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to fight normally.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The odds would be in our favor (~58% chance of hitting)—except for that 1/36 chance for what I’m sure is something bad (probably death by its “lethal venom”.) I’d be slightly in favor of running away.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

EDIT: as I was checking back the older pages for the Character Sheet update, I notice that I left out the picture of the Luther Faze encounter in the library. It has now been added, for anyone interested.

I'm guessing a full vote is stronger than slightly in favour of, so Johnny walks into battle.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 - We roll a 4. Johnny is at 24 VIGOUR.
Round 2 - We roll a 7. The Cobra is at 9 VIGOUR.
Round 3 - We roll a 8. The Cobra is at 6 VIGOUR.
Round 4 - We roll a 7. The Cobra is at 3 VIGOUR.
Round 5 - We roll a 5. Johnny is at 21 VIGOUR.
Round 6 - We roll a 10. The Cobra is killed.

We got bitten twice, but thankfully did not roll a double-1 for either of these.
If you were bitten by the Giant Cobra, turn to 250. If you have come through the fight unscathed, turn to 304.
We did get bitten...
Roll four dice (or roll one die four times). If the total exceeds your current VIGOUR score, turn to 94. If not, turn to 226.
We have to roll 21 or below on 4 dice, which is very good odds for us, but I'd just pause slightly and see if anybody wants to use the Luck Charm to guarantee a pass.

Character Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Johnny
VIGOUR: 21/27
PSI: 4
AGILITY: 7
Equipment: Sword, Lantern, Tinder-box, Dagger, Bow and 2 arrows, Girl's teardrop, Four leaf clover, Luck Charm (can be used up to 32 times to pass any dice roll), Cornelian skull-shaped ring, Crystal ball, Fragment from the armour of a chivalrous knight, Salve of Healing (restores 4 VIGOUR per application, 4/4 applications remaining), Jasper Faze's talisman, Ashes of a Saint, Hair of a nun, Ring of Light
Gold: 22 GP
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote not to use the Luck Charm, as we would have to roll at least 2 6s with the others as 5s in order to fail this test.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I wouldn’t bother burning a use of the talisman. If I have my math right it’s like a 1/86 chance to fail.