OSSR - Testament by Green Ronin Publishing

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

OSSR - Testament by Green Ronin Publishing

Post by deaddmwalking »

We're setting the wayback machine to 2003. George W. Bush was in the white house and American forces overthrew Saddam Hussein's regime in April. If you're anything like me, that didn't really help me to situate this book in time or space. 2003 was also the year that Arms & Equipment Guide and Savage Species were released. Yes, dear reader, it was the year that 3.0 was supplanted by 3.5. Like in 2022, D&D was experiencing a moment in the cultural zeitgeist - players old & new were bellying up to the table. While some voices were vociferously complaining that D&D was the only game in town, the ease of access of the OGL meant that there was a glut of 3rd party provided products and services. Gaming stores were overflowing with product of highly variable quality. Among the many publishers that took advantage of the booming market was Green Ronin; they released Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era as GRR1019 immediately after Skull & Bones and just before Tales from Freeport.
Image From the back cover:
You've read the book, now play the game!

There were giants in the Earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came in onto the daughters of men and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. - The Book of Genesis

The world of the Bible comes to life in this campaign setting for the d20 System! Play a wandering Babylonian magus, a sorcerer in the service of Pharaoh, a Canannite maker of idols, or a prophet of the God of Israel. Walk the streets of ancient Jerusalem, stand beside King David as one of his Mighty Men, smite Philistines, ponder the mysteries of gargantuan tombs, look upon the dwellings of the gods, and battle demons, dragons, plagues, and the legendary beasts of Babylon!

The first release in Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas line of campaign settings, Testament gives you everything you need to immerse yourself in the Biblical Era, including:

- A dozen new core and prestige classes, including the Levite Priest, the Egyptian Khery-heb wizard, and the Desert Hermit.
- Over 30 new monsters, including Nephilim, Tempter Devils, and Zebub-Spawn.
- Over 50 new feats and over 100 new spells.
- Rules for barter, curses, piety
- Guidelines for leading a small tribe through the hazards of the Bronze and Iron Age World.
- The Biblical Battlefield Resolution System, a new way to fight epic combats.
- Full cultural details on ancient Israel, Canaan, Egypt, and Mesopotamia, including history, beliefs, holy days, architecture, and more.
- Dozens of new magic items and artifacts

Party history, party mythology, Testament is the d20 System setting that's both instantly familiar and yet unlike any game world you have ever experienced!
Used copies are selling online for more than $30. The PDF version is $15.00. I purchased mine used for $13.00 which is more than I'm usually willing to spend on a gaming book of uncertain quality, but I have generally been pleased with Green Ronin's quality, and I figured I'd check it out at some point. Today is that day! Libertad wrote a review of The Adventurer's Guide to the Bible - but Testament did it first*, so let's see who did it best.

*I honestly don't know if Testament did it first, just earlier than The Adventurer's Guide.

Testament has 239 numbered pages; the interior is 100% black & white; Scott Bennie is listed as the author; 7 play testers are credited along with the Green Ronin staff. While the book is softcover, the quality is good for 2003. All the pages are printed with grey texture (darker around the edges) with black text; for me the contrast is sufficient to read the book clearly. Especially compared to my last review, the text is small. I legitimately think that they used an 8pt font for virtually all text. That does mean that stat blocks are fairly condensed (especially by late 3.5 standards), but ~20 years after this was originally published it's not something that everyone is going to be able to read easily (though less of an issue if you have the PDF and can zoom).

The book is divided into 25 chapters. The longest chapters are around 25 pages (3), but most chapters are 3-10 pages. A few are only a single page. Roughly the last 100 pages (15 chapters) are setting material about the cultures in the setting; the first 9 chapters are 'standard game sections' including classes, feats, spells, monsters (you know, the reason players might buy this book). The Table of Contents in READABLE - headings and sub-headings are listed, but not EVERY SINGLE THING. For example, under Chapter 8: New Magic Items New Wondrous Items, Staffs, Minor Artifacts and Major Artifacts are all among the subheadings with specific pages, but it doesn't list EVERY SINGLE ITEM or EVERY SINGLE SPELL.

The last 2 pages of the book are an Index, and I'm pretty sure that every feat, spell, class, etc. is listed there - close enough that I'm not going to check them all. It's a VERY MINOR nitpick, but subheadings in the Index are not organized consistently alphabetically. For example, under 'Names' there are sections for Canaanite, Egyptian, Israelite, and Babylonian - that's not the order they appear in the book, either, and some other subheadings use the same order; others use an alphabetical order. I'm guessing it was among the last things that the editors hit. And they probably thought we wouldn't notice.

Well Green Ronin, when it comes to editing, I DEMAND you answer to a higher authority

As far as this review, we're going to generally follow the order that the book presents things. Commenting on EVERYTHING would be a slog, so I'm going to talk about whatever I think is most interesting in the book and I'll try to relate it to my thoughts regarding historical gaming and how their approach works with D&D - one point in it's favor - it's going for an explicitly MAGICAL version of the world of the bible. That doesn't mean that they think every 3rd edition class belongs in this world, but they didn't toss them ALL OUT. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

While this is BIBLICAL ROLE-PLAYING, it is decidedly Old Testament. The eras they suggest playing range from 3000 BCE to 135 BCE. That's still a huge amount of time, but if you want to hang with Jesus (in the figurative or literal sense) you're probably better off with the Adventurer's Guide to the Bible.

And if you don't think that this book is going to offend you, just wait until we get to Chapter 4, Piety, where sins are listed and given a 'severity' (culturally specific).
-This space intentionally left blank
Libertad
Duke

Re: OSSR - Testament by Green Ronin Publishing

Post by Libertad »

The most I remember from this book is that the Israelites had by far the most sins, and all the other cultures were overall pretty free-wheeling and chill.

I do recall they had new or reworked classes. The Levite Priest was pretty much the Cleric, and IIRC the Babylonians were the only group with Wizards. It kind of made "balanced" parties require a multinational setup.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Normally RPG books like to start with things like 'what is an RPG'. This one doesn't do that - presumably since it's an OGL product they're confident that you know what Dungeons & Dragons is as well as the concept of role-playing. They do have to explain why you might want to choose biblical role-playing as well as the assumptions that they're making.

They've opted for a cultural-relativist standpoint - all the myths are real, even the ones that contradict others.

You're in good company, Ned

Thus the Egyptian gods are real and Moses has power because he's a 20th level character. Personally, I think that's a much more defensible position than trying to go to a straight historical version where there is no magic (and therefore very little fun stuff for D&D).

They focus on four main cultures: Babylonians, Canannites, Egyptians, and Israelites. All characters have to pick a flaw (but you don't get a bonus feat or anything) - they just don't think you should be 'perfect'. I don't think they give a good justification - even if you don't take 'deceitful' as a flaw, you can still lie. I think the flaws as presented just create another friction point to argue with your GM about whether you NEED to steal the jewel because you're Covetous, even though you'll clearly get caught and could get killed. You might be best off taking multiple flaws so you can justify NOT doing the things that your first flaw tells you. If you're a BULLY and a COWARD, well, you're probably free to act however you want, rather than being beholden to a single impulse.

Each cultural group has a limited list of classes they can choose. For reasons that make no sense to me, they choose to list prestige classes among the classes available to each culture. Since we're still in character creation, having a better division between base class and prestige class is warranted. And of course, as with all 3.x products, there is no consideration of OTHER SOURCES. If Assassin, Blackguard, and Lore Master are listed as 'allowed', but Dwarven Defender is not, that's clear until sources outside of the 3.0 DMG are considered. To some degree, that's not an issue if there is sufficient material IN THIS BOOK.

Focusing on base classes from 3.x only, the following classes are permitted: Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer. To me it seems strange not to permit a raging Barbarian (they name-check the Sea Peoples and they're mysterious enough that they could definitely justify another martial class. Druid and Wizard might be more sensible omissions (especially since there are culturally specific classes to replace them) and while a 'wanderer of the earth with mystic wisdom from the east' might not make intuitive sense, I think you could justify it.

More easily than we can justify David Carradine as Caine

Ultimately, there are some constraints from the setting, but with most 'standard classes' available they're easily ignored. As for 'culturally specific access' to the base classes, well, I thought everyone realized that limiting access to classes in that manner just didn't work. 3.x was better for having the OPTION of Dwarven Wizards - you can distinguish cultures by what classes are COMMON at least as easily as what classes are AVAILABLE. In any case, not only did Testament choose to limit access to the base classes by culture, each of their new classes is culture specific. We'll look at them in the same order the book presents them:

Israelite Classes

The new classes available to Israelites are: Levite Priest (replaces Cleric), and Psalmist (replaces Bard). The table lists one additional Base Class; the Prophet, but that class is described in the Prestige Class section.

The Levite Priest looks like a cleric (same BAB, same Saves) but 6+Int skill points and the spell progression is slightly better (they get 6+1 1st/2nd/3rd level spells at 20th level instead of 5+1) and they get up to 10 orisons, rather than capping out at six. They replace turn/rebuke undead with turn/rebuke demon-possessed, but then they get 8 additional abilities over the 20 levels. They also get to spontaneously cast all of their spells using their open slots! They lose access to Heavy Armor and Shields, but on first glance, it would look like a straight power-up. Well, there's one huge complication. They don't refresh spell slots. They need to visit the temple and make a sacrifice (or promise to do so). They also lose spell-casting when they are ritually unclean (which is actually really common). While 'Piety' (their replacement system for alignment and something I'm going to talk about more later) is listed as 'OPTIONAL', this class has a list of spells that are supposed to require a successful piety check to cast these 'obviously magical spells'.

At 3rd level they can craft a phylactery which allows them to cast orisons as though they were quickened, raise the DC of all spells they cast by +1, it replaces the divine focus/material components less than 100gp, and provides +1 on a bunch of skill checks related to spell casting. At 5th level they gain Arcane Spell Resistance 5+Level; at 8th level they get a +2 AC against snakes (including dragons) and they can speak to serpents; at 10th level they can craft a scroll that does half the things that their phylactery does but also renders half of all spell damage 'divine'. At 13th level spells that inflict disease get a +5 bonus to the DC to resist. At 15th level he can add a +1 to +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls; at 18th level he can turn/rebuke dragons; and at 20th level if you kill the priest you automatically get an affliction. I'm not sure that's much comfort to the player of the 20th level character, but hey, you gotta use those capstone abilities!

The Psalmist looks like a bard, but gets fewer skills and their spells per day/spells known cap out higher than a standard bard. Spells are Wisdom based. They have a number of special abilities. The first one requires 10 Israelites and a full round; you get a +1 to saving throws for 3 rounds +1 round per Wisdom modifier of the psalmist. Getting 10 people to stand around to get a bonus for up to 7 rounds isn't ever worth it - that's one of those 'outside of combat abilities' but it has a 'combat time duration' so it might as well not exist. At 4th level he can sing a song that gives a +2 sacred bonus to AC, but it requires a move action each round to maintain. At 6th level you gain the ability to 'recover' a spell cast - eventually up to 4/day. At 8th level the psalmist can provide fast healing 3 for a few rounds; at 12th level he can provide a +10ft movement bonus for a few rounds; at 14th level worshippers of the God of Israel can bump his CL (up to his Wis bonus) so if he has a +4 and 4 people sing with him, his CL is 4 higher for that spell. At 16th level he can provide a bonus to damage and morale checks equal to 1+Wis modifier.

Egyptian Class
The Khery-heb is the Egyptian version of the wizard. They have a number of abilities related to casting from scrolls, including the ability to cast spells from a cleric domain of their god from scrolls (but not to prepare and cast them another way). A couple of abilities are flavorful for the setting, like the ability to create a wooden statue that turns into a commoner or, at higher levels, a fighter. Ultimately, this class is a power-up for the wizard, but the designers don't really understand why. For example, at 15th level this class can assume an animal-headed form based on their patron deity. Thoth grants a +2 to Spell DC, while Bast gives +2 to Reflect saves, Dexterity skill checks, and Spot. Basically there's a right choice and a bunch of wrong choices. At 20th level they get another +4 to spell DCs (cast from a scroll), but the game was already broken so it doesn't really matter.

Babylonian Class
The Magus of the Starry Host is the Babylonian wizard. They don't use spell books or learn to scribe/write scrolls (thematically because cuneiform is written on heavy clay tablets) but it doesn't work for PCs. To gain spells, you must go on a spell pilgrimage. You're limited to learning one spell every 30 days. In a D&D campaign where you may level up 6 times in a month, you're not going to have access to your primary class feature.

Canaanite Class
Qedeshot are fertility priestesses (or qedeshem for priests) that combine some aspects of a bard with a cleric. They get spells up to 6th level (at 17th). Instead of singing, they dance. Instead of 'inspiring' they plant a magical kiss. She also has an ability to use sexual intercourse to create a thrall - basically this class is creepy and bad.

General Class
Available to all cultures is the Spy. This class gains spells up to 4th level (and gets access to bonus spells at 5th). It's basically a rogue chassis that loses sneak attack and gains bonuses to social activities. If social skills were anything more than MTP it might work as a class.

On Classes Generally
It's a little annoying that they list each section as 'classes' when there is only one class for most cultures.

Prestige Classes
These classes are culturally specific, too. The thing about Prestige Classes is that they tend to be really specific, and they mostly come online at levels where the game breaks. So quick overview:

The Champion of Israel is a martial class that you can qualify for at 9th level. Their first level ability allows them to get +1 STR for every 2 levels they have in the class. That means that you can't actually use that ability until 2nd level. That's bad. Heck, getting +5 STR at 19th level is ALSO bad. At 2nd level you get to re-roll damage and choose the value you want. That's ALSO bad. If your base weapon damage is 1d8 your average is 4.5; with this ability your average is 6 - that's basically not as good as Weapon Focus. There are some gang-up abilities if there are a bunch of 8th level Champions, but those are 17th level characters; getting +5 damage for having 5 friends (the maximum) is not going to equal having someone with high-level spells.

The Judge is a class you could potentially qualify for at 6th level; it requires a BAB +5 so it's probably aimed at Paladins. They don't get spell casting, but they do get Lesser Planar Ally at 4th level and Greater Planar Ally at 10th. You know who else gets Greater Planar Ally at 15th level? Clerics.

The Prophet is a 10-level prestige class that includes +5 levels of divine spellcasting. Since you're giving up 5 levels of spellcasting (the primary level-relevant ability for the classes that have it) the additional abilities would need to be really good. They're not. Basically they have abilities that are like spells and at 10th level they get DR 5/+1.

Like the Prophet the Ren-Hekau is a 10-level prestige class with +5 levels of spellcasting, but arcane this time. At 10th level they can transfer part of their life-essence into a bird; if they die but the bird doesn't they're automatically reborn. But if the bird dies, they might die, too.

General Prestige Classes (meaning available to all cultures) include Desert Hermit, Idol-Maker, Master Charioteer, and Royal Astrologer.

None of these classes are worth looking at in detail - they all suffer from the same general flaw of being too specific, and sacrificing too much to advance them. If you're a 14th level character and your special ability is that you get slightly more cover from your chariot, well, you haven't made good life choices. The idea that you could be 'really good at charioting' is defensible - but most of those types of abilities can just be rolled into the skill check. Desert Hermit is a quasi-mystical Ranger; the Idol Maker and Royal Astrologer include advancing your spell casting class (+1 for every 2 levels in the class) and special abilities that don't replace what you lost.

Next up - Chapter 3: Feats
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Chapter 3 - Feats

Feats were a big deal when 3.x came out, but it really became clear quickly that characters didn't get enough feats and feats were so easy to produce that every book was filled with dozens or hundreds of feats. This one includes 42 new feats, plus introduces Mythic Feats. Mythic Feats are supposed to be 'better than normal feats', so players should only be allowed to have 1 of them total (and there are 15 available).

Since everyone is familiar with feats, I'm going to talk about Mythic Feats - basically this could have been a good idea. When you get a Feat, you should get a new interesting ability, but the way 3.x wrote feats, you usually had to spend a feat to keep expanding an ability you already chose. Two-Weapon Fighting is my go-to example. At 10th level you're spending a feat for another attack with your off-hand that's at -5 - you're actually getting LESS than the feat at 1st level that let you double your normal attacks. Having a two-weapon fighting feat that just let you make as many attacks with your off-hand as your primary hand with the same penalties would have been GOOD, but not GAME-BREAKING. Taking the same feat 4 times to just maintain what you could do at 1st level was BAD.

So how did they do with 'really good feats'? Well, Beauteous Visage improves NPC attitudes of the opposite sex by 2 steps and a Charisma Check can raise it - that'd be a pretty powerful ability for a 'face'. Blood Brother lets your cohort be equal to your level, and you get some minor benefits when fighting together - that's pretty good. On the other hand, taking a mythic feat to remove your penalty for driving a divine chariot doesn't seem worthwhile at all. Friend of Beasts makes them unlikely to attack you (you get sanctuary against them) but it doesn't actually make them your friends; I'd take animal friendship as a spell before I spent a Feat on Friend of Beasts. Divine Grace lets you survive being at -10 hit points; you just wake up 1d6 hours later. You can be killed by a coup-de-grace, massive damage, a death spell, or losing a duel to an enemy champion. But not automatically dying at -10 is actually pretty decent. Nazirite requires you to follow a code-of conduct, but gives you a +8 ability score - presumably how Sampson got his great strength. Relic Spell lets you craft one of your bones (inside your body) into a wondrous item so your cloak of charisma can be something you always have (and if someone kills you, they can take it and have a shinbone of charisma). Sacrosanct punishes people who kill you. That's not a good deal. Slaughterground lets you use Whirlwind attack 2x in a round, and gives you a small bonus on damage.

All in all, the Mythic Feats are mostly 'good enough' to actually think about taking them, compared to all the myriad 'general feats' that these types of products include. Of course, that's subject to GM approval.

Regular Feats
The book includes a list of all the feats in this chapter in a small table. The table includes the name and the pre-requisites. It does not include a brief description of what each of the feats do. There are several feats that are just filler like 'Farmer' and 'Herdsman'. There are a few interesting feats that could be worth taking, like one that allows you to combine a turn/rebuke with a spell. There's also Slave-Holder which means that the slaves you hold really like you, and while slave-holding is appropriate to the setting, it's not really something that appeals to modern sensibilities - probably not something that belongs.

Some of the feats represent new item/metamagic feats that you get with classes in the book, but of course, you can take them as a regular cleric or sorcerer. Echo Spell causes a damage causing spell to duplicate the next round (+2 spell levels). Basically it's middle-of-the road - there's some good stuff but is it GOOD ENOUGH to compete with all the other options?

I think I found something I can use
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Piety

In the lands of the Testament setting, piety, the obedience to the laws of a god who could protect his people against life's most brutal misfortunes and provide them with blessings, was among the most celebrated of virtues. As a recommended option in Testament all characters have a Piety score, reflecting how well they have honored the tenets of their religion and culture. A pious person can perform miracles or request favors from his god, while an impious person threatens himself and possibly his community.

Oh boy! The first thing that you should get from the above quote is that Piety is culturally specific. If you worship Khorne you get piety points by contributing blood to the blood god.

Now Khorne isn't an option (but there's a lot of stuff in the bible about people worshipping false gods, and a lot of them are viewed badly by Christians), but there are EVIL GODS in the setting. To avoid rewarding PCs for worshipping evil gods, piety is based on your native culture. That means it's all relative. Piety starts at 0; your maximum Piety is equal to your Wisdom + Level (ie a 3rd level character with Wis 10 can have a maximum piety of 13). If your piety is high enough, you can call on aid - piety is not reduced by doing so, but it is limited to once per game session. I'm not sure if that counts as a disassociated mechanic, because in game people know that sometimes the gods respond and sometimes they don't almost as if there's some meta-currency that sometimes means they can get 2 miracles in 10 minutes and sometimes have to wait several years before another is granted. Miracles include divination spells (up to 5th level with Piety 20), temporary hit points, smite evil, a bonus to saving throws, and a bonus to skill checks. Your Piety Modifier is half of your piety score - positive or negative. So if you have a 20 for Piety, your bonus is +10; if you have a negative 20, your modifier is -10. When you hit -10 you might get a curse from your god - to avoid it you make a TN 10 Piety Check (with your -5 modifier). If you confront something like holy ground you make a piety check - if you're impious you'll probably fail and bad things happen (but if you're pious and you roll badly, everyone can just assume you're a sinner).

So, piety can go up or down. One way to reduce piety is to commit a culturally specific sin. Each sin is given a 'value' for how bad it is. For the Babylonians, Rape, Incest and Adultery are all -3. They also have punishments of 'Death, Exile, Death', but if you don't get caught (and assuming that costs are cumulative for an act that hits all categories) you could be up to -9 for a really heinous act. You can 'remove' a sin by making a sacrifice of 1% of your wealth for each point of piety loss (ie, a -3 would cost you 3% of your wealth). It is very clear that if you committed the same sin 3 times, you'd have to sacrifice 3% of your wealth 3 times to remove each instance; it is less clear if there was 1 sin that counted as multiple categories that you would have to pay multiple times... Things like 'lying' and 'bearing false witness in a capital case' are listed separately, so my presumption is you should apply the highest penalty.

Things like sacrifice can 'remove sin', but only if you're at negative piety. This means if you have 20 piety, commit a crime that costs you 9 piety, you're still at 11, and therefore cannot benefit from sacrifice. But if you're at 0 piety, commit an act that costs you 9 piety (-9 total) you can donate 9% of your wealth to get back to 0. Since bad things don't happen until you hit -10 you can pretty much bounce back and forth between zero and negative 9 easily without any real consequences.

You can gain positive Piety by being 'observant'. There are four levels; minimal (+1 Piety/month), Common (+2 Piety/month), Uncommon (+1 Piety/week), and Diligent (+2 Piety/week). The book doesn't suggest tracking this closely - you essentially determine which level you INTEND to act, and there's MOSTLY some fluff about how you're spending time in religious devotion.

Since this is a setting based on history, things like menstruation make you ritually unclean (barring you from participating in religious activities).

As mentioned, you can use positive piety for 'miracles' and they don't reduce your score. There's also 'temptations' which you do lose piety for using. These include a +4 on a die roll (-1 Piety), cast Evil Eye, or put another curse on someone.

I honestly don't know if there's a good way to track divine disgrace, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it. I don't think it actively ENCOURAGES sinning, and reasonable groups can roleplay around it as 'here's some weird rules in the setting' - and there's definitely advantages in being a culture other than Israelite (who have the longest list of sins).

There's also nothing about 'changing' your cultural affiliation. If you're born an Israelite and you adopt a different god, you're due to receive -2 Piety for private worship and -3 for Public Worship. Again, something that people can probably role-play around, but seems like a rather obvious fail, especially with the intention that people play in areas ranging from Egypt to the Fertile Crescent.