[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 47 – The Crimson Tide

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 47 – The Crimson Tide

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think (not certain since I don’t have this book and never read it prior) we actually took a pretty good path until we made it to the underworld or whatever. At the very least the monastery seems like the right path. Of course it’s possible there’s some dumb thing we had to pick up right before going there. Half vote to continue to the monastery.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Yes, let's continue to the monastery.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

To the monastery.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Guess either the current king was in fact Bezenviel, or Poo Ta's court had issues that went far beyond the "dur I'm dumb" thing that was immediately evident.

Either way, monastery. Once there hopefully we will figure out how to get a white face.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Xu Shiyou will start the journey to Baochou. I will assume that the intent is for Xu Shiyou to go there without turning back to Yenshu, visiting Traole on the way, or taking the branching path.

Under that assumption, he will go to paragraph 365 and get 10 Gold Pieces from his aunt and note the word “king” in his Adventure Sheet. Next, he heads back to the village by going to paragraph 115, where he gets a pronged spear, 30 copper coins, a wide-brimmed hat, and some walking sandals. He proceeds north to paragraph 18 and adds 2 points to his Permanent Stamina. When he continues past Traole towards the mountains which loom on the horizon, he notes the word “offers” in his Adventure Sheet and goes to paragraph 81. Xu Shiyou presses on ahead to paragraph 97 where he meets a monk. After bowing to him and turning to paragraph 229, Xu Shiyou answers “A mountain” to the monk’s riddle and goes to paragraph 397. Upon arriving at the monastery’s door, he goes to paragraph 241 since he does not have the word “silk” written on his Adventure Sheet. Finally, Xu Shiyou meets Dry Jade and is faced with the choice to either tell him that he wishes to become a monk or to ask him for assistance in his quest.

Please vote on what to tell Dry Jade and when to make a different choice out of the remaining decisions that Xu Shiyou encountered in his previous life before 6:00 PM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Xu Shiyou
SKILL: Temporary: 7 Permanent: Undetermined
STAMINA: Temporary: 7 Permanent: 7
LUCK: Temporary: 8 Permanent: 10
FEROCITY: 3 When FEROCITY = 0, turn to paragraph 200
AGE: 13 Initial Age = 13 When AGE increases, lose 2 FEROCITY
MONEY: 10 Gold Pieces, 30 Copper Coins
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Wooden Sword
Pronged Spear
Wide-brimmed Hat
Walking Sandals
PROVISIONS REMAINING: 1
NOTES:
When
King
Offers
RESURRECTION USED?: Yes[/spoiler]
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

It doesn’t seem like telling him we wanted assistance on our quest actually did anything so just say we want to be a monk.

Try for cleaning duties this time and tell the abbot we’re content with being a monk.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, let's try that.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

This sounds likely to lead to actually being a monk. Choose cleaning duties but say we still want revenge.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Asking that to be a monk and choosing cleaning duties received 3 votes, so Xu Shiyou will do this.

Upon telling Dry Jade that he wishes to become a monk, Xu Shiyou heads to paragraph 109, where he is given a red robe. He will choose cleaning duties and will go to paragraph 41.

You are set to work, cleaning the monks’ practice hall. They use a variety of weapons, and it is also your task to clean these. Days pass and you wonder when you are going to be taught the martial arts yourself. Even though you clean the practice hall, you are always told to leave whenever the monks come there to practice. If you watch the monks practice and train yourself in secret, turn to 231. If you carry on as you are, turn to 343.

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Xu Shiyou
SKILL: Temporary: 7 Permanent: Undetermined
STAMINA: Temporary: 7 Permanent: 7
FEROCITY: 3 When FEROCITY = 0, turn to paragraph 200
AGE: 13 Initial Age = 13 When AGE increases, lose 2 FEROCITY
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Wooden Sword
Pronged Spear
Wide-brimmed Hat
Walking Sandals
Red Robe
NOTES:
When
King
Offers
Queen of Swords
Prince

Watch the monks and train ourselves in secret.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered, Xu Shiyou will watch the monks practice and train himself in secret.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Every day, just before the monks begin their practice, you hide yourself in a cupboard overlooking the practice hall. You observe the monks carefully and each night you repeat their moves yourself. Write the word ‘crane’ on your Adventure Sheet. Add 1 year to your Age, 2 points to your SKILL and 3 points to your Permanent STAMINA. Turn to 300.

At paragraph 300, Xu Shiyou is summoned before a council of highest-ranking monks and is assigned a quest to recover a sacred relic. He is led to the black marble gates to the underworld and heads to paragraph 399. Once there, he meets Meng Zhidao and goes to paragraph 27 since Xu Shiyou has a red robe. He does not have the word “wood” on his Adventure Sheet, so he goes to paragraph 132 after meeting the other figure wearing robes similar to his.

The monk sidles towards you, moving with the fatal grace of a hunting spider. You are calm as he attacks, mentally back at your menial tasks in the monastery. As quick as lightning, he launches a kick to your body. Your arm sweeps down, just as it did during countless hours of work, effortlessly brushing his kick aside. His next attack is more careful.

WHITE-FACED MONK SKILL 6 STAMINA 6

If you defeat the monk, turn to 267. If he defeats you, turn to 93.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: White-Faced Monk Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 12;
White-Faced Monk Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 10
Round 2: White-Faced Monk Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 19;
White-Faced Monk Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 10
Round 3: White-Faced Monk Attack Strength: 10, Player Attack Strength: 16;
White-Faced Monk Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 10[/spoiler]

Xu Shiyou manages to flawlessly defeat the White-Faced Monk, and proceeds to paragraph 267. It is there that he meets a figure of his father, and is faced with the choice of either giving him his most prized possession, attacking him, or ignoring him and walking on.

Please vote on what to do in this scenario and when to deviate from the set of choices that Xu Shiyou encountered in his previous life before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Xu Shiyou
SKILL: Temporary: 9 Permanent: Undetermined
STAMINA: Temporary: 10 Permanent: 10
FEROCITY: 1 When FEROCITY = 0, turn to paragraph 200
AGE: 14 Initial Age = 13 When AGE increases, lose 2 FEROCITY
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Wooden Sword
Pronged Spear
Wide-brimmed Hat
Walking Sandals
Red Robe
NOTES:
When
King
Offers
Crane
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Give him our walking sandals.
Queen of Swords
Prince

There doesn't seem to be much use for our wooden sword, but that's probably closer to our most prized possession than our sandals. Give him the wooden sword.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’d give him the sword since I think that was the right move. Certainly it got our Ferocity down.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b has never omitted text in his quoting of book sections in past LPs, so I'm sure what we saw the last time was what's in the book section in its entirety. Meaning, the book never actually checked what item we gave him. So I think the test is about whether we choose give him anything at all and not about what we give, and whatever we give will be given back immediately either way.

Just give the sword.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

SGamerz wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:32 pm
JourneymanN00b has never omitted text in his quoting of book sections in past LPs, so I'm sure what we saw the last time was what's in the book section in its entirety. Meaning, the book never actually checked what item we gave him. So I think the test is about whether we choose give him anything at all and not about what we give, and whatever we give will be given back immediately either way.

Just give the sword.
That is indeed the case. All text that I quote is in its unedited form in order to make the experience as close to having the book itself as possible. For future reference, any changes that I wish to make to any paragraph in my Let's Plays will be noted in a separate Important Note.

I have counted your votes, and giving him the wooden sword as his most prized possession won over giving him the walking sandals by a 3-1 vote. Xu Shiyou goes to paragraph 387, where his father’s image gives him back his wooden sword and Xu Shiyou loses 2 Ferocity. Since his Ferocity is now below 0, he goes to paragraph 200 and gains 2 Skill and the ability to not be ferocious at will. After that, he goes to paragraph 19 and approaches a set of double doors at the far end of the chamber. He has the choice of opening the left-hand door, opening the right-hand door, or pushing both handles together.

Please vote on what to do with the doors when to deviate from the remaining set of choices that Xu Shiyou encountered in his previous life before 11:00 AM PDT to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Xu Shiyou
SKILL: Temporary: 11 Permanent: Undetermined
FEROCITY: -1 When FEROCITY = 0, turn to paragraph 200
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Wooden Sword
Pronged Spear
Wide-brimmed Hat
Walking Sandals
Red Robe
NOTES:
When
King
Offers
Crane
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, I will have Xu Shiyou push both handles together. He will head to paragraph 307, where he sees passages leading left and right and a tunnel continuing straight on.

Please vote on whether to follow the left-hand, middle, or right-hand passage and when to deviate from the remaining set of choices that Xu Shiyou encountered in his previous life before 1:00 PM PDT to ensure that they will be counted.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Push both handles together.

ETA : voted too late. Ok, next entry. Last time we took the middle way, but that failed the test. So this time we should try left or right. I’ll vote left.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Sure, let's see what happens if you take the left passage.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Xu Shiyou will take the left-hand one.

The passage carries straight on for a while, then bends to the right. You follow it and enter a strangely shaped chamber. In the wall opposite are five short passages, each less than two metres high. In the centre of the room, a large clay bowl sits on the block of stone. Around it are strewn the bones of a dozen skeletons. Meng says, ‘Many have tried to take the cup: do you dare?’ Do you:

Grab the bowl from the stone? Turn to 48
Approach warily and touch the bowl? Turn to 257
Go back the way you came? Turn to 4

Please vote before 3:00 PM PDT to ensure that they will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Approach warily.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Grab the bowl.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your votes, I will break the 1-1 tie by having Xu Shiyou grab the bowl from the stone.

You snatch up the bowl, but nothing happens. Write down on your Equipment List that you have a clay bowl. Meng chuckles. ‘Easy when you know how,’ he comments,’ but how do you depart? Think hard. Use your head.’ You go back up the passage. Now, do you:

Return through the double doors? Turn to 230
Go along the tunnel opposite? Turn to 276
Go down the passage to your right? Turn to 158

Please vote before 5:00 PM PDT to ensure that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Xu Shiyou
SKILL: Temporary: 11 Permanent: Undetermined
FEROCITY: -1 When FEROCITY = 0, turn to paragraph 200
EQUIPMENT LIST:
Wooden Sword
Pronged Spear
Wide-brimmed Hat
Walking Sandals
Red Robe
Clay Bowl
NOTES:
When
King
Offers
Crane
Queen of Swords
Prince

Okay, so last time in this place, we entered a cavern and fought the figure who emerged from a tunnel to the right. Then we went into a chamber with the double doors (black and white). Beyond that we were supposed to take the left-hand passage (which we did this time).

So now, if we've gone back up the passage, we should leave through the double doors. Am I overthinking this? I feel like "think hard" means we should avoid some sort of trap, but I'm not sure which way out would be better than the double doors.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If you look at the section numbers, going right will take us to the section where we met the figure, and answer a riddle about where we think we are (our own mind) to get out of the place. I think that's the right way to go now (with the same answer to the riddle), now that we've found the quest item.

Go down the passage to your right.