[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 36 – Armies of Death

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 36 – Armies of Death

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will listen to the man’s story.

The man, whose name you learn is Obigee, goes on at length about a whole series of races, walking round the room and mimicking the antics of the crew. ‘Would you like to see a drawing of the crew?’ he finally asks (turn to 230 if you would). ‘Or would you rather have your room key?’ (turn to 81).

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that they will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, look at the drawing.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

This is the author's alter-ego/avatar speaking to us, so we'd better get all the information out of him when we have the chance.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, keep going with waffle.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will see a drawing of the crew.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Obigee opens a cupboard drawer and pulls out a leather-bound book. He opens the book at a marked page and hands it you. There are eight people in the picture, each dressed in heavy oilskins. ‘That’s me,’ he says proudly, pointing to the drawing of himself, ‘and that’s our skipper Preece with the funny hat on. Spike’s the one with his hair sticking up, and Euan is the young one going bald before his time. Werewolf’s the bearded one, Kwil’s son is the one with long hair and the couple there are Klaak and his lass, Welz. Perhaps one day we’ll take on Conner himself. He’s the best in all of Allansia. Sails in the Old World across the Western Ocean, but his reputation is known to all. But that’s enough about me, what about you?’

You decide to tell Obigee about your quest and his eyes widen in amazement. ‘I’m afraid I’m too old to join your campaign, but I would like to help your cause,’ he says before disappearing into a back room. He reappears in a moment, holding a magnificent sword. ‘If this cannot slay a Demon, nothing can,’ he says with a smile. ‘Leave me yours and you can have it.’ You examine the sword and see that it is of remarkable craftsmanship; you do not hesitate to make the swap. Add 1 point to your SKILL. Obigee then hands you the key to your room and wishes you goodnight as you climb the stairs. Turn to 376.

You lock the door behind you and slump gratefully into the soft bed. You are asleep in seconds and do not wake until the morning, when there is a loud knocking at the door. ‘Breakfast is ready!’ shouts Obigee. After a large plate of ham and eggs you feel ready to take on Agglax himself. The peaceful sleep and plentiful food have done you a lot of good. Add 2 points to your STAMINA. You finally say farewell to Obigee and walk out into the street. After walking less than a hundred yards, the street ends at a junction. If you wish to go left, turn to 65. If you wish to turn right, turn to 268.

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
[spoiler]Zen-Kut-Sedatche
SKILL: 10 Initial Skill = 10
STAMINA: 15 Initial Stamina = 17
LUCK: 6 Initial Luck = 7
SOLIDERS:
WARRIORS: 95
DWARFS: 50
ELVES: 50
KNIGHTS: 20
RIVER RAIDERS: 10
NORTHMEN: 10
MARAUDERS: 10
GOLD PIECES: 148
TREASURE:
Shield
Key with the number ‘222’
Yeti tooth
Axe
Ring with the number ‘45’
Hopper (Say “One, one, one” to turn invisible if hopper is sitting on shoulder)
Brass owl
Copper lantern
Helmet
Ivory box
Green vase
Obigee’s sword
BOONS:
1 Rewind
3 Restorations
3 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Oh blast. Nice sword, but blind choice.

Right, just because we usually go left under such circumstances.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will turn right.

You soon come to another junction in the street. If you wish to turn left, turn to 338. If you wish to walk straight on, turn to 102.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that they will be counted.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Left this time, moderation is the key.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, left.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will turn left.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

As you pass by an open stable door, you hear the sound of a scuffle coming from inside. You peer round the door and see a Dwarf on his knees trying to pull the clawed hands of his reptilian attacker away from his throat. His adversary is green and scaly and its spines have burst through its brown clothing. A long tail swishes from side to side and a forked tongue flicks in and out of its long-toothed jaw. ‘Help!’ cries the Dwarf. ‘A Shapechanger has got me.’ If you wish to help the Dwarf, turn to 22. If you would rather walk on, turn to 149.

Please make your votes before 12:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Help the dorf.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will help the Dwarf.

As you enter the stable, the Shapechanger throws the half-strangled Dwarf to the floor and turns its bloodied claws towards you.

SHAPECHANGER SKILL 10 STAMINA 10

If you win, turn to 361.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Shapechanger Stamina: 10, Player Stamina: 13
Round 2: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 13
Round 3: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 11
Round 4: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 9
Round 5: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 9
Round 6: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 7
Round 7: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 5[/spoiler]

Okay folks, so the current status of the fight has the Shapechanger at 8 Stamina and Zen-Kut-Sedatche at 5 Stamina. Should Luck be used for the rest of the fight? If so, should it be used to reduce the damage that our hero takes or to inflict additional damage?

The first choice to receive two votes (or two votes over all other choices) will be used to resolve the rest of the battles. If no option has a winning margin before 2:00 PM PDT, I will make the choice based on which votes are cast.

Adventure Sheet
STAMINA: 5 Initial Stamina = 17
LUCK: 6 Initial Luck = 7
SOLIDERS:
TREASURE:
Shield
Yeti tooth
Axe
Brass owl
Copper lantern
Helmet
Ivory box
Green vase
Obigee’s sword
BOONS:
1 Rewind
3 Restorations
3 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Use Luck to reduce the damage our hero takes. I'm also regretting that we didn't participate in the pie-eating contest earlier, in case that might have helped us regain some Stamina.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your vote. Luck will be sued to reduce the damage that our hero takes.

The fight, continued:
[spoiler]Round 8: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Luck Roll: 6, Player is Lucky and only takes 1 damage
Shapechanger Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 4, Player Luck: 5
Round 9: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Shapechanger Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 4
Round 10: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Shapechanger Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 4
Round 11: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Shapechanger Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 4
Round 12: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Luck Roll: 5, Player is Lucky and only takes 1 damage
Shapechanger Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 3, Player Luck: 4
Round 13: Shapechanger Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Shapechanger Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 3[/spoiler]

After taking two more hits, both of which Zen-Kut-Sedatche got Lucky and only dealt 1 Stamina damage apiece, our hero manages to kill the Shapechanger.

You rush to the Dwarf’s side and find that he is still breathing. ‘Pills!’ he gasps. ‘Pills in my pouch ... give me one ... Hurry.’ You do as he asks and give him one of the three green pills from his pouch. In less than a minute he has revived completely – even the wounds on his neck are beginning to heal. ‘A wizard gave me the pills as reward for saving his life. Now I’m going to give you one of them for saving mine,’ says the happy Dwarf. (You may use this pill at any time except during combat. It will restore 8 points of STAMINA.)

The Dwarf goes on to tell you how the Shapechanger had created an illusion to make itself appear as an old man; in this guise it entered the Dwarf’s stable on the pretext of wishing to buy a donkey. ‘As soon as we went inside, it attacked me and began to change back to its original form. Thanks to you I’m still alive. Look through its clothing and help yourself to any booty you find.’ You reach down and rummage through the torn clothing. In an inside pocket you discover a gold seal with the number ‘332’ stamped on it. ‘Not bad,’ exclaims the Dwarf as you spin the seal up in the air and catch it with your other hand. You say farewell to the Dwarf and go back into the street. Turn to 149.

The street continues straight on until you find yourself back at the main entrance-gates to Zengis. Remembering your promise to Lexon, you decide to return to your waiting army. Turn to 113.

You arrive at the camp before noon and are greeted enthusiastically. You give the order to march. If you wish to cross the River Kok and and march south, turn to 262. If you would rather march east towards the Forest of Fiends, turn to 84.

Please make your votes before 4:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet
STAMINA: 3 Initial Stamina = 17
LUCK: 4 Initial Luck = 7
SOLIDERS:
TREASURE:
Shield
Yeti tooth
Axe
Brass owl
Copper lantern
Helmet
Ivory box
Green vase
Obigee’s sword
Green pill (+8 Stamina when used)
Gold seal with the number ‘332’
BOONS:
1 Rewind
3 Restorations
3 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, I will have Zen-Kut-Sedatche cross the River Kok and march south.

The army marches east along the riverbank until you come to a wooden bridge. The crossing takes place without any problem, and the river is soon left behind as you march southwards across the Pagan Plain. By late afternoon you have put many miles behind you; you give the order to halt, to enable your Warriors to drink at a watering-hole. Unknown to you, however, the water has been poisoned by one of Agglax’s spies and many of your Warriors begin to fall sick. Within an hour, half of them are too ill to march. If you wish to wait for them to recover, turn to 75. If you would rather head south with fifteen hand-picked Warriors who are still well, turn to 296.

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm in favor of waiting for them to recover.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Eh, I say head south with a small group. Somebody has to do the scouting eventually, and we might as well do it ourselves while most of the army needs to stay and recover.

(Also, I think using LUCK in the combat earlier was a bad idea. Our LUCK was low as it was, none of our boons help us recover LUCK or auto-pass mandatory stat tests. Meanwhile, we have 3 Restoration boons to save us from combat deaths, and we could have spared one of them.)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your votes. I will break the 1-1 tie and have Zen-Kut-Sedatche and head south with fifteen hand-picked Warriors who are still well.

Two hours later, you make out a lone figure walking slowly towards you. You can soon see that this is an old woman hobbling along, clutching a wooden stick for support. As you walk past her, she holds out her hand and says in a croaky voice, ‘Spare me a Gold Piece.’ If you wish to give her a Gold Piece, turn to 156. If you would rather march on without stopping, turn to 38.

Please make your votes before 8:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted. Oh, and I would like to give a notice that Labor Day will be a high frequency update day, so I hope that everyone is able to check this thread more often tomorrow.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Give her a Gold Piece.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Always help old beggars out.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will give her a Gold Piece.

The old woman thanks you profusely and reaches out for your right hand with both of hers. ‘Let me read your palm,’ she says. She opens your hand, pulls it towards her crinkled face and lets out a series of ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’. Finally she looks up and says, ‘You are an adventurer on a very important mission. To fulfil that mission, make sure you drink the Water of the Gods. Death awaits you if you don’t.’ Without saying another word, she hobbles off and you march south again. Turn to 38.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You come across a worn track with runs north and south. You decide to follow it to the south and soon you arrive at a signpost which also points south and reads, ‘Karn – 5 miles’. If you wish to keep heading south towards Karn, turn to 266. If you would rather head south-east, turn to 331.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Adventure Sheet
STAMINA: 3 Initial Stamina = 17
LUCK: 4 Initial Luck = 7
SOLIDERS:
GOLD PIECES: 147
TREASURE:
Shield
Yeti tooth
Axe
Brass owl
Copper lantern
Helmet
Ivory box
Green vase
Obigee’s sword
Green pill (+8 Stamina when used)
Gold seal with the number ‘332’
BOONS:
1 Rewind
3 Restorations
3 Item Wishes[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I don't remember if we got any advice for or against going to Karn. So, go to Karn.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, may as well visit Karn.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Zen-Kut-Sedatche will keep heading south towards Karn.

The light is quickly fading as the village of Karn comes into view. The village is a well-known stopover for travellers and is the last human village for many a mile. It comprises some fifty buildings, many of which are taverns, general stores and gambling-halls. You take your men into an inn and tell them to eat well and get to bed early as you intend to leave at first light in the morning. You decide to walk round the village after your own meal. If you wish to enter the ‘Blue Pig’ tavern to find a guide, turn to 357. If you would rather go to the gambling-house, turn to 100.

Please make your votes before 12:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Find a guide.