[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky Lord

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Agreed. Brain first, kill later.
SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky Lord

Post by SGamerz »

Obey.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Obeying his request received 3 votes, so Jang Mistral will do that.

Zud leads you towards the tavern: a slime-green apartment with a large sign on the wall outside reading: ‘DEAD FETHP INN – LIZARDOIDS AND MUTANTS KEEP OUT!’ When Zud departs to his chambers, you enter the inn. Turn to 83.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The inn is large, dingy and dirty, and so are its occupants, a wide variety of rogues and scoundrels from all over the galaxy. At a drinking-pit, a scar-face, one-eyed Oc is fingering a silver knife and evilly viewing a gang of five-eyed Tuffits; by the wall a solitary Grey-hulker drains a keg-sized tankard, then devours the tankard and orders another; a couple of Jellimen wobble towards the bar – everyone steps out of their way; the room is filled with hyperactive pickpockets, and you must continually check your gear. This is no place for the squeamish! Upon the bar is a large, clam-shaped shell: it is the Deik himself. The shell is closed and appears to be asleep. Amidst the throng, the Deik’s wondrous and wide-ranging display of antiques and curios is scattered – many of them having been bolted to the floor or set with alarms. A number of the objects are quite bizarre and they attract your attention: several good-sized tapestries; a large orange sphere hovering in mid-air; a heavy brass gong; a man-sized candle; and, of course, the crystal decanter containing the Bicephalon’s preserved brain. You dare not approach too close to the decanter yet for fear of arousing suspicion – so will you move over to the brass gong (turn to 214), or the candle (turn to 365), or turn towards the drinking-pits instead (turn to 301)?

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

A one-eyed Oc, five-eyed Tuffits and a couple of Jellimen. :roll:

Go over to the gong.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Going to have to check the wiki once this is over for more info on those, in particular if an Oc is normally one-eyed.

And yeah, gong.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The gong and the candle are specifically pointed out in the descriptions, making me think the drinking pits may be the least conspicuous and less likely to draw attention.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky LordSg

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz’ position is well reasoned. To the drinking pits.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your votes. I will break the 2-2 tie by having Jang Mistral turn towards the drinking-pits.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You pay for the use of a pit – which is actually a hollow in the floor, several feet in diameter. (Deduct 2 credits from your Adventure Sheet.) As you sit there, a tall green steward fills the pit to the brim with a dark liquid, then offers you a straw, before departing. Now, sipping at the vile concoction, you wonder how you will accomplish Zud’s task; you are also mindful of Gnasha, chewing away merrily inside you. Your thoughts are soon interrupted by a drunken old man from the next pit. His bowl is empty, and he punches you in the arm and declares: ‘I’m short on lack-knee – ya’ not!’ Unsure of the correct reply, will you answer:

‘Tush, move ya’ lack-knee on all!’? Turn to 334
‘Aye, short o’ lack-knee ya’ not!? Turn to 191
‘Tush ya’ lack-knee jarg’, try ni’er bowl!’? Turn to 277

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 7 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 10 Initial Luck = 12
RATING: 6
CREDITS: 8 Initial = 10
OXYGEN SUPPLY POINTS: 10 Initial = 10
NOTES AND ITEMS:
10 Provision Tablets
Flask of Strong Acid
Zud’s Cylinder
RESURRECTIONS: 2[/spoiler]

Space Combat Sheet:
[spoiler]STARSHIP: STARSPRAY
DATA: 4 HIGH POWER LASERS L
8 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

‘Tush ya’ lack-knee jarg’, try ni’er bowl!’
Queen of Swords
Prince

Ok, on reading those choices over, it looks like the third option is us offering the man our drink? Go with that.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah. If I'm parsing that right, go with option 3.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Agreed, option 3.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Jang Mistral will answer, ‘Tush ya’ lack-knee jarg’, try ni’er bowl!’

‘Ya’ flim-flam, scint not!’ snaps the old man angrily. ‘You’re for orange pot, ha!’ He staggers over to the gong, sounds it twice, and points towards you. He has awakened the Deik! Turn to 51.

The Deik’s shell now springs wide open, revealing the clammy creature: a large, purple blotch. Contorting itself like dough, the Deik extends an ugly face with many eyes and nostrils, one large pointed ear, and several beaky mouths. A rubbery arm also appears and twines itself around a nearby curio: a small glass fortress imprisoning a flea-sized beast. The Deik eyes you suspiciously before squawking at you. ‘Look, lads, seems like tonight’s contestant is a volunteer! Ha, ha! Tell me: if you win, what will you claim as your prize? Come now, don’t be bashful! You may choose anything from my collection!’ Somewhat benumbed, you reply in a weak voice that what you would like is the Bulb-headed Bicephalon’s brain. ‘Ha!’ cries the Deik. ‘I should have guessed old Zud would send another one for it. Thought you’d steal it from right under my noses, eh? Well, I’ll give it to ya’ – if you’re victorious. Take him to the Sphere of Three Trials!’ A heavy-pawed Ogre-oid drags you to the floating orange sphere. ‘Every night for over an ‘undred years contestants ‘ave gone into this ‘ere ball,’ it sneers, ‘and ev’ry one of ‘em’s been done over. Not returned, like. Not only that, but none of ‘em’s ever got past the second trial neither! Ha! Don’t fancy bein’ in your shoes!’ With a shove, the brute pushes you through the sphere’s thin membrane, which re-seals around you. You are trapped! Turn to 351.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The sphere is a skew-dimensional container, warping volume. Within it, you appear minute, standing in a broad green field with the sphere’s orange-walled membrane stretching away, miles above your head. Huge dim faces appear in the sky above; these are the inn’s patrons crowding round the outside of the sphere, awaiting the contest. Across the field towards you strides a sprightly man, with a sweeping black cape and a broad-brimmed hat. ‘I am your first trial,’ he states. ‘Tell me, how many greater stars orbit the plane of destiny? Answer true, or I’ll obliterate you!’ He offers you three choices to this obscure question. Will you answer:

42? Turn to 42
65? Turn to 65
384? Turn to 384

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

In the absence of any better ideas, go for the Hitchhiker's Guide reference. Half a vote for 42.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Agreed, that's as good an answer as we can possibly give without any prior hints found in the book. 42.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

42 received votes from 3 people, so Jang Mistral will provide it as the answer.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

‘Correct! You have passed the first trial. Now prepare for the second.’ The strange man fades away as a massive arm appears in the sky above, carrying a mighty glass fortress. It is the same fortress the Deik was pawing earlier – although it did appear somewhat smaller then! The castle is placed in the field, and the arm departs the sphere. Then, with a loud rattle, the drawbridge is lowered and a fearsome multi-armed beast, many times you size, steps forth. Was this the flea-sized creature you had seen before? Haughtily it steps towards you, twirling an assortment of battleaxes, swords, maces and flails.

AXE ARM SKILL 10 STAMINA 2
SWORD ARM SKILL 8 STAMINA 4
MACE ARM SKILL 8 STAMINA 6
FLAIL ARM SKILL 6 STAMINA 8

If you win, turn to 201.

The fight:
[spoiler](Axe Arm)
Round 1: Axe Arm Attack Strength: 21, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Axe Arm Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 5[/spoiler]

All right folks, so the Axe Arm lands a blow on Jang Mistral, bringing down his Stamina to 5. Should Luck be used for the rest of the fight? If so, should it be used to reduce the damage that our hero takes or to inflict additional damage?

The first choice to receive two votes (or two votes over all other choices) will be used to resolve the rest of the battles. If no option has a winning margin before 9:00 AM PDT, I will make the choice based on which votes are cast.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 5 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 10 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES AND ITEMS:
10 Provision Tablets
Flask of Strong Acid
Zud’s Cylinder

Space Combat Sheet:
8 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Use luck once to inflict damage on the sword arm, once to inflict damage on the mace arm, twice to inflict damage on the flail arm, and to prevent damage if Jang is at 2 Stamina (i.e., if he will die otherwise).

If we survive the fight, immediately swallow four Provision Tablets.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I like Beroli's plan.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Go with Beroli's plan.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your votes. Luck will be used once to inflict damage on the Sword Arm, once to inflict damage on the Mace Arm, twice to inflict damage on the Flail Arm, and to prevent damage if Jang is at 2 Stamina. Jang Mistral will also consume four Provision Tablets if he survives the fight.

The fight, continued:
[spoiler]Round 2: Axe Arm Attack Strength: 22, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Axe Arm Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 5

(Sword Arm)
Round 1: Sword Arm Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Luck Roll: 5, Player is Lucky and deals 2 additional damage
Sword Arm Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 5, Player Luck: 9

(Mace Arm)
Round 1: Mace Arm Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 24;
Luck Roll: 9, Player is Lucky and deals 2 additional damage
Mace Arm Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 5, Player Luck: 8
Round 2: Mace Arm Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Mace Arm Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 5

(Flail Arm)
Round 1: Flail Arm Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Luck Roll: 6, Player is Lucky and deals 2 additional damage
Flail Arm Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 5, Player Luck: 7
Round 2: Flail Arm Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Luck Roll: 4, Player is Lucky and deals 2 additional damage
Flail Arm Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 5, Player Luck: 6 [/spoiler]

Jang Mistral destroys all four arms flawlessly, and manages to get Lucky hits for all of his blows. He will now eat 4 Provision tablets to bring his Stamina to 21.

The fortress fades and the scenery changes dramatically. Now you are standing inside a small, transparent sphere, bobbing up and down in the middle of a deep lake. Near by, in a similar craft, is the Deik, flushed red and extremely angry. ‘So, you passed the second trial and killed my beloved pet Jaj! Well, this is the last part of the contest; you will not find it so easy! You will note that each sphere has a small locked hatch. Also, as you see, each has numerous open vents, allowing water to enter – we are, in fact, slowly sinking.’ The only way to escape from your sphere is to obtain the hatch’s key, which is strapped to your opponent’s sphere, and unlock it. Likewise, the Deik can escape only by taking a key from beneath your craft. To achieve this, both spheres are fitted with a grabbing arm, as well as a few weapons: power saws, atom lances, electrodes and shields, among others. These are operated by many weird controls within your craft. The Deik grins. ‘As we’re sinking, I’m afraid there isn’t time to explain the controls, so you’ll just have to do your best!’ The cheat! Pulling a lever, the Deik lurches forward to attack, raising shields and probes. At no small disadvantage, will you:

Ring a silver bell? Turn to 291
Twist a spongy nodule? Turn to 26
Break a mauve crystal? Turn to 234

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 21 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 6 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES AND ITEMS:
6 Provision Tablets
Flask of Strong Acid
Zud’s Cylinder

Space Combat Sheet:
8 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

This is one of those things that could be handled well or poorly. It's kind of a camp sci-fi trope that the protagonist gets into a duel with some sort of very exotic weapon they don't really understand how to use, and simulating that confusion through the use of blind choices is a reasonable technique. But to make it fair, you would have to be very lenient with the consequences for those blind choices.

I vote to break the crystal, it's the most irrevocable decision and so least appealing to the timid.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, break the crystal.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, why not. These choices are imaginative, but not useful without more information as to what they do.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Breaking a mauve crystal already received 3 votes, so Jang Mistral will do that.

Your ship lurches forward and raises a plastic shield. The Deik, mastering his controls, moves just aft and starboard, then bears down on you, grabber raised and electrode buzzing. Examining your controls, will you:

Squeeze a green jelly? Turn to 26
Break a yellow bulb? Turn to 176
Do nothing? Turn to 372